PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher Send a message via Skype™ to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase House of Horrors Challenge Club - Tier 1   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Your first M-rated game you played.

Special Note for our PAL pals! Since ESRB doesn't exist over there, Pegi 15/16+/etc. and even CERO/GRB max mature ratings count for our Asian buddies.

I'm bored, it's late, I should be asleep...bah!

So...what was your first game you played that was M Rated? I don't know if games had ratings prior to the N64/PSX/etc. era (all I know is I played games and some of them had blood like Mortal Kombat and the such) but I know that I stuck primarily to the cartoony adventure types for awhile. To be all out honest...a lot of the horror games I saw in magazines scared the piss out of me like Nightmare Creatures and Resident Evil 2, the artwork and the gritty game design was like "holy crap...uh...no".

I believe my very first M Rated game was probably...Syphon Filter 2? I played Syphon Filter and enjoyed the hell out of that and yeah it had blood I mean you shot people to death...so unless they were spewing out flowers and bunnies or weird quirky flashy effects...they bled. But it was only rated Teen, then I started up the second game and obviously it kicked up some stuff. Hell we get a little bit of pixelated Lian Xing clothe-changing action, a gulag with a bunch of PSX era pointy boobed, shaved head hotties in a shower room, blood and people getting shot in the face by weird scrunch faced people...you name it.

For the most part though I didn't play many other M rated titles, at least those that I can remember...I think the next big jump I did was into the Resident Evil series (as I was never allowed to play a GTA game due to sexing prostitutes and then running over said prostitutes)...it scared my pants off. I don't know, REmake on the gamecube back then...I was freaked venturing in it. Creepy atmospheric appearance, great music and sound effects...realistic. I eventually picked up Turok: Evolution and screwed around with that, the rest of the Resident Evil series, Silent Hill (.........let's just say a certain bloody nurse haunted my nightmares for awhile) and so forth.

Bah it might not seem like much today since parents buy their children whatever they ask for but my mother remained educated on the games I wanted...she had good intentions (rest her soul) but after her passing my Dad didn't really care much if I picked up an M rated title (hell my first PS2 game was Devil May Cry). But for a kid growing up back then...maybe getting ahold of M rated games wasn't such a common practice. What about you guys, remember your first M Rated title?

Note: If you ever got a chance to play an AO game, feel free to share. For the new folks in town, that was a rating that went to games with lots of nudity and sometimes so much violence a Mature rating wasn't enough. Essentially they weren't appropriate to sell in public stores like the local Walmart and games don't receive the rating anymore...hell back in the day games like Dead Space might be qualified under it.

Edit: According to Death Metal Jim, the console versions of the Mortal Kombat series at least got an M rating so I suppose in reality the first M Rated titles I played were the Mortal Kombat games. Huh...to me though it still feels like Syphon Filter 2 was my real first title as back then all I saw was "I can play as awesome yellow ninja or awesome blue ninja"...I could never pull off the abilities as a kid ._.

Last edited by TVthePunisher; 07-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Anything remotely close to that would be..... Rise of the Triad.

I also remember playing a card game which had women dressed in next to nothing. I was at least 9 years old at the time. The joys of knowing how to use /dir during the MS-DOS days.

iBuzz7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Death Metal Jim

Death Metal Jim's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - bplayak   Staff Club - Kairi   Staff Club - Yunder   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Mortal Kombat back in 1992. One day after baseball practice, I went to the Arcade and noticed this new fighting game was sitting right in middle for everyone to see. I pushed through the dozens of people watching to see what all the fuss was about, and saw Sub-Zero performing his fatality on Scorpion. I think my eyes fell out of their sockets when I saw that. I know my jaw had hit for floor for sure LOL. It was just one of those iconic moments that you'll never forget. I immediately started playing it and learning all the moves and fatalities when there weren't older people hogging the cabinet (I was 10 at the time so it wasn't always easy to get a spot to play it against a person or the ai). Of course at the time it wasn't M rated yet, but soon enough the ESRB was invented and it got it's M rating the politicians were pushing for (at least the console versions did if I remember correctly).
Death Metal Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
KeepEmRolling

KeepEmRolling's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
This topic had me scratching my head for a few seconds until i saw Mortal Kombat mentioned. That would have to be mine as well. As far as a story based game, it would have to be something on the Playstation. I'd go with Resident Evil or Syphon Filter as well.
KeepEmRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
HabsCen10ial

HabsCen10ial's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepEmRolling View Post
This topic had me scratching my head for a few seconds until i saw Mortal Kombat mentioned. That would have to be mine as well. As far as a story based game, it would have to be something on the Playstation. I'd go with Resident Evil or Syphon Filter as well.
Same here, I can see Mortal Kombat being #1 in this thread. I loved Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 and was so glad they remade them this gen with MK9. Amazing memories!

Credit goes to Xerofox for the amazing Montreal Canadiens sig!

HabsCen10ial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Z3R0 S1X

z3r0 s1x's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
The first game I bought that actually had an M rating was Mortal Kombat 3 for Super NES when I was in middle school and the first game I played with an M rating was Mortal Kombat 2. I do remember playing Duke Nukem 3D before the ESRB came into being and that game had a warning label for parents. Ahh the good ol' days of the 16 bit era when parents and politicians began to flip out over a little blood in a game...
Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Capn Doug
Community and Events Lead

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Ceris   Staff Club - rekikire   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 50 (more» ...)
I don't know for certain, but probably Leisure Suit Larry. I remember being able to crack that age verification so easily. This was back before the ESRB, though, so it wasn't rated M, but it did have all sorts of things asking you to verify that you were over 18 (American Pie is about A) The deaths of Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Richie Valens, B) a Beauty Pagent, C) 5 minutes too long). Some other possibilities would be Mortal Kombat or one of those Doom clone shooters that were popping up all over in the early part of the 90's. Duke Nukem 3D was definitely not the first.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Kairi

Send a message via Skype™ to Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   The Mighty Duck Face   Community Gaming - Platinum   Tri-Gamer Tournament - Runner Up   A+ Thread Award   Staff - Moderator   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Staff - Guide Team
Total Awards: 26 (more» ...)
I think the first M-rated game I played was Ninety-Nine Nights. I got it about 2-3 years ago as a gift from my parents. I honestly don't understand why the game was rated M, but I liked the game very much!
Midnight calling. Mist of resolving. Crown me with the pure green leaf.

ALL HAIL FRANCIS!
Kairi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
koopakiller64

Stewtendo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   1,000 Posts   XBA Promoter
My mom actually knew about ESRB, so M-rated games were out of the equation for me. That was perfectly fine since I was happy enough with Mario and the rest of the Gamecube crew. Anyways... during Christmas my cousin gave me his old PS2 and a GTA 3 & Vice City double pack when I was 11-12. I wasn't aloud to play it for a few months until she told me that I could , but I was to be under parent supervision and I couldn't go anywhere near the hookers. Going on murdering rampages in front of my disgusted mom didn't last that long. I went back to my Gamecube within a week of playing GTA.

Thanks to Gackt
koopakiller64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Mortal Kombat 1
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Biohazard420666

Biohazard420666's Gamercard
The first M-Rated game I ever played was Duke Nukem 3D for the PC.
Biohazard420666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
Jonlizardking

Jonlizardking's Gamercard
From memory, it would be Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil 2 or Mortal Kombat 4. Damn, I don't really know.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Dexter010

Claptrap NL's Gamercard
One of the Mortal Kombat games at my nephews house.
Dexter010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Fable II i believe. Since that and Halo 3 came with my xbox. And I knew I knew I wouldnt like Halo.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
DEG23
Listening to 1989

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
I think my first M game was Wolfenstein, i remember going over to my cousin's house and finding him on his new PC, in awe everytime he shot a Nazi or simply let the chaingun rip. Then when he let me have a go, it fortified my love of video games forever. Although my dad wasn't too happy about me playing such a violent game, it's hard to believe that 8 bit blood was horrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Stomper View Post
I refuse to use Spotify because they have no Taylor Swift albums.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #16
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
On my 360? Probably Far Cry 1.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
ReaLiStiiC

My first M rated game that I played was Grand Theft Auto III on PS2.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #18
prezskroob

prezskroob's Gamercard
The first game I played that should have been M-rated was Wolfenstein on the pc. The first game that I remember having an ESRB M-rating was Doom 64 on the N64. I remember my parents not wanting to buy it for me because it came out just after Columbine and the news was screaming about the deplorability of violent video games. These were the same parents who bought me the first Doom on pc and thought it was cool.

This is all part of my "Get Rich Slow" scheme.
-The late, great Mitch Hedberg, r.i.p.
prezskroob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #19
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
SOCOM US Navy Seals 2 for PS2.
Spade. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #20
hydrosugar

xFightingSaintx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Probably Conkers Bad Fur Day, I don't think I played any M rated games on my short stint with the SNES beforehand. It may have been Goldeneye if that was M rated, but I prefer to think it's the far more enjoyable Conkers Bad Fur Day.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #21
bbruins10

INeedaDollhair's Gamercard
GTA 4 on PS2 when i was like 13, but on xbox, bioshock.
bbruins10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #22
VladimirK

VladimirK's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Grand Theft Auto

Heh, not only my first M[/18] game but the first game I actually played.
I must have been about 6 or 7 at the time, I remember I played it with my cousin when we met with him then just a few months later I got my own PS1 and it continued from there.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #23
jedijaxpavan

ZOMBIFIED glory's Gamercard
Mortal Kombat in the local arcade.
Doom or Wolfenstein on PC.

There were no ratings when I was still too young to play M rated games.
I feel old.
First game rated M I would say was RE.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 AM   #24
DOOKH8R

DOOKH8R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 4   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
The first game I can remember that got hit with the M was Night Trap. I literally remember nothing about the game play or the story except for this awesome piece of knowledge- the lead character was voiced by Dana Plato, may she rest in peace.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #25
Vampire Amaya

Vampire Amaya's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Well, after some searching on Google I've clarified that The Chaos Engine is indeed rated 'M', lol. That was probably my first, with Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat close behind!

Edit: How could I forget about Doom? Remember playing that in the computer room at the college my dad was studying at. Ah, the wonders of oblivious parents

Last edited by Vampire Amaya; 03-28-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Vampire Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #26
Smoochy

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Can't remember which one I played first, but I remember it being either Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct. Loved both of those games.

I remember when a friend of mine (who is a few years older than me) bought Resident Evil 2 and I refused to watch him play it because I was so terrified when I saw it.
"We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse."
Smoochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #27
colt415

colt415's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
My mom would have never bought me any M-Rated games, but I was over at my cousins house back in 1999 and he let me play Silent Hill.

Credit Goes To Xerofox For The Great Sig
colt415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #28
LordDurham

LordDurham's Gamercard
The first Unreal Tournament. I was 10 years old when it was released and my parents bought it for Christmas. Some of my friends still talk to me about how you could dismember people in that game , seems like it was a bigger shock to them than it's been to me

Join League of Legends : http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c3803c5c1ba8
LordDurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #29
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
I can't remember, but It was either Resident Evil or DOOM. Maybe even Mortal Kombat.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #30
Vampire Amaya

Vampire Amaya's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoochy View Post
I remember when a friend of mine (who is a few years older than me) bought Resident Evil 2 and I refused to watch him play it because I was so terrified when I saw it.
I had no problem playing the first 2, but when it came to Nemesis I shit myself! Haha. I dunno why, but something about him scared me. It's like I was in the game and I was terrified of him killing me.. Though I suppose it could have had something to do with the fact that I was only about 10 or something lol

Vampire Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote