PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Question For JRPG Fans, I Need Your Opinions Please!

I'm a big fan of Western RPG's: Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim, Mass Effect and I have NEVER played a JRPG. I'm looking to expand my gaming interests and I've been reading a bunch of info about the best JRPG's for the Xbox 360 and this one sounds (storywise) the most interesting to me, sounds a little like Mass Effect. Obviously I know it doesn't play the same but I wondered what you guys would recommend for me. I should note that I'm not in love with turn-based fighting but definately not opposed to it. I'm aware that the best of this genre isn't on the 360 so I'm not looking for older games just suggestions for stuff on Xbox 360. Your input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
dertswa687o

dertswa687o's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I can't believe no one replied to this...

Well, anyway, I'll start by saying this game isn't turn-based. You control one character of 4 on the field. You can switch around at will. Combat is all real time and really really fun. I mean, this game has one of the most simple yet deep battle systems you can find if the battle trophies are any indication.

The story is very meh. But I don't think you're going to find a JRPG on the Xbox 360 (save maybe Lost Odyssey, but I haven't played it) with a truly innovative story. It's basically your classic "random guy discovers there's a plot to destroy/take over the world and he suddenly finds out he can stop it so he does" sort of thing.

If you're looking for a great JRPG that's not turn-based, I suggest you look no further than Tales of Vesperia. The battle system is awesome, the plot is entertaining, and the characters are awesome (oh, I personally look more into the characters when I look into JRPGs, oftentimes they're more entertaining than the story).

Tales of Vesperia > Star Ocean but they're both good games.

Star Ocean Battle Trophies (Ultimate Battler unlocked 6/19/11!!!!!!!!):
Edge: 100, Reimi: 100, Faize: 100, Lymle: 100, Bacchus: 100, Meracle: 100, Sarah: 100, Myuria: 100, Arumat: 100

Test your achievement knowledge!!!
dertswa687o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
zoro724

ok

i LOVE this game, easily one of the best on the 360, while ur at it try infinite undescovery, enchanted arms, Magna Carta 2, Lost Odyssey, and any final fantasy
zoro724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
steve19137

steven19137's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dertswa687o View Post
I can't believe no one replied to this...

Well, anyway, I'll start by saying this game isn't turn-based. You control one character of 4 on the field. You can switch around at will. Combat is all real time and really really fun. I mean, this game has one of the most simple yet deep battle systems you can find if the battle trophies are any indication.

The story is very meh. But I don't think you're going to find a JRPG on the Xbox 360 (save maybe Lost Odyssey, but I haven't played it) with a truly innovative story. It's basically your classic "random guy discovers there's a plot to destroy/take over the world and he suddenly finds out he can stop it so he does" sort of thing.

If you're looking for a great JRPG that's not turn-based, I suggest you look no further than Tales of Vesperia. The battle system is awesome, the plot is entertaining, and the characters are awesome (oh, I personally look more into the characters when I look into JRPGs, oftentimes they're more entertaining than the story).

Tales of Vesperia > Star Ocean but they're both good games.
What would you say about the voice acting of Vesperia?
steve19137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
dertswa687o

dertswa687o's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve19137 View Post
What would you say about the voice acting of Vesperia?
I liked Vesperia's voice acting. Karol has a really high pitched voice but it's not nearly as annoying as Lymle's consistent "'kay" from Star Ocean.

Besides, Vesperia has a cameo by Kratos from Symphonia, who has the best voice acting ever. Therefore, the voice acting is awesome.

Edge: 100, Reimi: 100, Faize: 100, Lymle: 100, Bacchus: 100, Meracle: 100, Sarah: 100, Myuria: 100, Arumat: 100

Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
steve19137

steven19137's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dertswa687o View Post
I liked Vesperia's voice acting. Karol has a really high pitched voice but it's not nearly as annoying as Lymle's consistent "'kay" from Star Ocean.

Besides, Vesperia has a cameo by Kratos from Symphonia, who has the best voice acting ever. Therefore, the voice acting is awesome.
I tried the demo last night, and everything was pretty cool, but it just didn't hit the sweet spot for me. I don't think JRPGs are gonna work for me on the 360. It all kinda sucks because the WRPGs are that much better... I could really go for a fantasy RPG with the same exact gameplay of Mass Effect.
steve19137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Assapopulas

Assapopulas's Gamercard
You might enjoy Final Fantasy 13-2. It's not turn based, it's got nice sci-fi elements to it, and there's even Mass Effect costumes for the characters in the game. Great story and, in my opinion, great voice acting.
Assapopulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I just got given Star Ocean for free by a mate who no longer owns a 360 and said as I'm an RPG fan, I should try a JRPG as I might end up liking it. I thought is was a turn based battle system, so was apprehensive until he told me otherwise. I love games were I get plenty of hours from, so naturally being an epic 3 discs I know I will.

Thing is, I'm a serious achievement hunter, and will be calling quits at the end of the year to enjoy games again, apparently lol. Question is, do I just play through the game and simply enjoy it, then make subsequent plays for achievements afterwards, or go for everything I can on my first?

Last question. As i prefer real time combat, and am willing to try my hand at JRPG's, are there any others out there that utilize real time combat? Anything really, as I'm open to suggestion here, as I plan to stick with RPG's starting next year as most other genres don't do it for me anymore, except Minecraft. Thanks for any help

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
Xenolith666

Xenolith666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Gackt   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Gold   Micro Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadentBeaver View Post
I just got given Star Ocean for free by a mate who no longer owns a 360 and said as I'm an RPG fan, I should try a JRPG as I might end up liking it. I thought is was a turn based battle system, so was apprehensive until he told me otherwise. I love games were I get plenty of hours from, so naturally being an epic 3 discs I know I will.

Thing is, I'm a serious achievement hunter, and will be calling quits at the end of the year to enjoy games again, apparently lol. Question is, do I just play through the game and simply enjoy it, then make subsequent plays for achievements afterwards, or go for everything I can on my first?

Last question. As i prefer real time combat, and am willing to try my hand at JRPG's, are there any others out there that utilize real time combat? Anything really, as I'm open to suggestion here, as I plan to stick with RPG's starting next year as most other genres don't do it for me anymore, except Minecraft. Thanks for any help
Star Ocean to 1k is a 300+ hour adventure... there are very good walkthroughs a tips on this site for how to tackle it.. but either way it's very long.

As for other JRPG's all the combat varies a bit; Last Remnant is squad based turn combat; Lost Odyssey is 6 player turn based; both Final Fantasy's are pretty much automated combat with skill sets. All are very good games.

Most JRPG's are not real time, most Western RPG's are like Kingdoms of Amalur, Oblivion, Fallout etc.
100% RPG's: 38 Post #8
Proudest: Star Ocean; Dark Souls
Failing to Understand our Capacity for Kindness

Xenolith666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:

After creating this thread some time ago and not getting an initial response I held off on getting this but I ordered it over the weekend from Amazon for 14 dollars. I'm an achievement hunter myself and I've decided to just play this one for fun after looking at the list. The guides that Pants has made for this look excellent and if I truly love the game maybe I'll go for completion on another playthrough but I know trying to follow all of the guides and play through this will ruin the game for me in no time.
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
DecadentBeaver

Thanks Xenolith for your response. It might take time to get used to turn based combat, as I like to charge in with a mace or an axe like I do on Skyrim/Oblivion and smash things.

But the use of strategy in turn based is not familiar for me. When I first got a 360, I had Enchanted Arms and Lost Odyssey but only got time to play them briefly before my 360 died. The only time before that was Final Fantasy 7 on PS1. The closest game I have to turn based combat is Civilization Revolution.

I'm gonna finish up the backlog I have first before starting this epic journey, and get rid of some crappy games I have lying around, so I can invest in some good rpg's. Destroy All Humans is the game I've played recently, and its just awful. Easy achievements, but it made me realise that I would rather play a great game for many hours instead of playing a few quick crap games for achievements.

@Walter. Hope your 1st play is a memorable one. I'm thinking we should just both enjoy our first play and worry about achievements until another playthrough. I'm in it for story now. Achievements can wait.

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #12
dertswa687o

dertswa687o's Gamercard

Quote:
Thanks Xenolith for your response. It might take time to get used to turn based combat, as I like to charge in with a mace or an axe like I do on Skyrim/Oblivion and smash things.
I don't know what you mean by this. Star Ocean is real time.

Quote:
@Walter. Hope your 1st play is a memorable one. I'm thinking we should just both enjoy our first play and worry about achievements until another playthrough. I'm in it for story now. Achievements can wait.
If you have any desire to 1000 this game, go for achievements from the start. You'll still enjoy the game because the battle system is great fun.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Xenolith666

Xenolith666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Gackt   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Gold   Micro Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Didn't say Star Ocean wasn't.. I listed a few others that are turn based is all.
100% RPG's: 38 Post #8
Proudest: Star Ocean; Dark Souls
Failing to Understand our Capacity for Kindness

Xenolith666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
DecadentBeaver

I though that being a JRPG it would be turn based. Not my preferred style of game so that's why I avoided it for so long.

Well I started Star Ocean tonight, and I gotta say, I love it so far. I'm not too concerned about achievements, but thanks for the suggestion I should. I've found recently that achievements distract me far too much from actually enjoying the game I'm playing. I'll be keeping this game so I can make as many play throughs as I choose really. Might try some more JRPG's in future.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #15
Exe the Hero

Exe the Hero's Gamercard
I know this is an old topic, but if somebody happens to stumble on it... why not?

For somebody new to JRPGs, I'd definitely say give the Star Ocean franchise a shot. It's got the typical JRPG style, but a battle system that's much more involved than is typical for the genre. I've always loved SO and Tales moreso than others simply because the battle systems are more interactive than most.
Exe the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote