PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Racing > Ridge Racer: Unbounded
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
ADZBOW

ADZBOW's Gamercard
Buy/rent/avoid?

Looks pretty good but is it worth getting?
It would also be good to know how populated the online is.
Thanks
ADZBOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
xReadMyMindx

xReadMyMindx's Gamercard
I'd say try before you buy. I rented it, but won't be buying it. The AI drivers are very difficult to beat IMO. Online is very quiet. I have joined a few quick matches and there has only been one other person in the lobby! I have open NAT, so connecting to others has never been an issue. People keep likening this to burnout etc, but it feels very different to me. I loved burnout, NFS, and the older ridge racers, but I'm not too keen on this one. But these are just my opinions. Thousands would disagree! In my opinion, just try before you buy. Deffo worth a rent, then take it from there if you enjoyed it
xReadMyMindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Jazman

II JAZMAN II's Gamercard
To me it plays more like a suped up version of flatout:ultimate carnage.

Its not a bad game graphically, just not as polished as split/second or burnout, The destruction doesnt really have that 'WOW!' factor like split/second, still fun though. Theres rubberbanding as usual and the AI can be tough to beat on some tracks, but once you master the drift its not too bad.
Jazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
FaSCoRP

FaSCoRP's Gamercard
rent, game is fun sometimes but mediocre at best. it lacks identity, it is not a RR, neither something else. Nobody would care of it if it were named something like "Street Drift Unbounded". It is like Namco an Bugbear to create a game that looks being made by UFO.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
FailedSeppuku

FailedSeppuku's Gamercard
lacks the big set pieces of Split/Second and the finesse of Blur.

Track editor is good fun, although i used it mostly for achievements (imagine that )

The tracks are cookie cutter, you can make all of them yourself in the editor. Some of the corners have little walls you can smash through and some that'll smash you and it's difficult* to tell which is which.

I don't think the AI is hard, it's just they have all the top cars and you don't get them until you've levelled, so you spend the first few hours grinding losses until you unlock some decent cars.

i quite like it, but i think that'll change.

*impossible
Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
GDMFS0AB

Mad Hectic's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by xReadMyMindx View Post
I'd say try before you buy. I rented it, but won't be buying it. The AI drivers are very difficult to beat IMO. Online is very quiet. I have joined a few quick matches and there has only been one other person in the lobby! I have open NAT, so connecting to others has never been an issue. People keep likening this to burnout etc, but it feels very different to me. I loved burnout, NFS, and the older ridge racers, but I'm not too keen on this one. But these are just my opinions. Thousands would disagree! In my opinion, just try before you buy. Deffo worth a rent, then take it from there if you enjoyed it

Game is decent. As someone else said. It's no blur, nor split second.

Blaming the game on difficulty or lack of online players. It was day 1 release when you posted this. What do you expect?
GDMFS0AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
bjh_27

morrillo's Gamercard
at least a rent imo

the graphical look is decent, but i agree the AI is rather tough for the first few levels, and I am not a muppet on racing games

i loved burnout and split/second and this gives me a pleasant reminder of those 2 great games so it cannot be all that bad.

7/10 for me (burnout and split/second probably somewhere around 8.5/10 for me anyway)
bjh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Rent it.

The game's not that great and definitely not worth the $60 purchase. If you're looking to play a Ridge Racer game, don't even bother picking this up. Although if you enjoy Split Second or Burnout types of games, go for it.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
ADZBOW

ADZBOW's Gamercard
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think i will rent it then
Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Arman

NoseyArman666's Gamercard
I would definitely rent it it,s total crap same tracks same boring A.I
same ridiculous races can,t wait to finish it and get rid off it
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Azrael008uk

Azrael008uk's Gamercard
Brilliant game and worth owning.

If you're an Achievement Farmer or have a short attention span (and acheivement farmers do not necessarily have short attention spans) then this game might not be for you.

I played this game and my first impression was that is seemed basic and uneventful, with me placing 6th and 9th.

Then I started chaining my drifts and POW! The game lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Instead of fizzling out after a brief turbo boost you become a speed demon wrecking ball punching through other cards or pieces of track.

This is a racer where, at least of the bat, you won't come first every single time and you can bet real money that many of the negative reviews are the first impressions of self proclaimed 'professional gamers' who have decided the game must be flawed if they couldn't end up in the top 3 every single race.

There's a 'sweet spot' for every car and once you find it that's when you'll start having fun.

If you wanted to succeed at "Ridge Racer" you needed to get your drifts right and despite all the new bells and whistles the core game play remains the same: Precision Drift Racing.

Tons to unlock and the Track Editor means that even if you manage to complete the 63 tracks the game throws at you there is a practically unlimited amount of tracks that other people have made and continue to make.

Great game and a brilliant evolution of the series.

Az

pixels
Azrael008uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Arman

Yeah ok i,ll edit my post it,s not complete crap,but it certainly isn,t a brilliant game. There is nothing hard about winning all the races for a self proclaimed 'professional gamer & the achievements are all pretty easy to get, which will be handy for people on an achievement site. but it,s still only worth renting
there,s nothing new in the gamplay it,s all been done 100 times before.
The best part of the game looks to be the tracks people are making & publishing
Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Azrael008uk

Azrael008uk's Gamercard
It might have been done before but it wasn't done as well as it's done here.

They've taken "Ridge Racer", preserved the core gameplay and thrown in elements that make it a brilliant game.

It does "Split Second" better than "Split Second" and unlike "Blur" it can stand up to close scrutiny with regards to levels and backgrounds and it looks a lot better than "Burnout: Paradise" so if you want a SIM go for "Forza 4" if you want the best arcade racer out there at the moment go for this.

It's a fun game that's worth buying if you get your games to play and enjoy them. If you buy them to milk them for all the achievements you can, as fast as you can then I suppose a rental's on the cards or even possibly an "avoid" because unless you've got the time to devote to mastering all the tracks you're not going to get that full 1K over a long weekend.

Az

pixels
Azrael008uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
three15

I rented it 30mins ago and i'm already regretting it. Terrible handling, poor track design, dull menus and no fun. If i hadn't just unlocked a chev i'd be wiping it from my gamerscore and not playing it again.
three15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Arman

Luckily theres not many tracks to master it,s the same ones over again with different backgrounds
Old 04-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #16
cheevo360

BurstGamer Jedi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Well if you like hardcore racing and this game felt smiliar to Burnout, Split/Second and Blur series too because of boosts, destruction while racing and good clever A.I.s and anything else. I recommend buy and rent either.

If don't like those type of hardcore / madness racing games then leave it.

Achievements in this take while to used and take time also few of them are easy to earns.

Last edited by cheevo360; 04-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
cheevo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
FaSCoRP

FaSCoRP's Gamercard
I agree that first impression is worse than "later impression". Perhaps it is because being a RR title you expect something that it is not. First available cars suck, you have to keep reaching high ranks to unlock useful cars (and replay races a lot).
Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
three15

It grew on me for about 2 hours i admit, but now i've had enough of being made to jump through hoops and play the same events over and over just to try and get enough points to unlock the next event so i can carry on playing. I hate games that do that, it's an artificial attempt to make the game seem longer and bigger.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
ADZBOW

ADZBOW's Gamercard
Very good feedback again. Thanks. I have not been able to rent it yet and i have been going back to NFS:The Run but i will give it a go when i get the chance. Has the online population picked up a bit?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
cheevo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZBOW View Post
Very good feedback again. Thanks. I have not been able to rent it yet and i have been going back to NFS:The Run but i will give it a go when i get the chance. Has the online population picked up a bit?
You welcome
Old 04-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #21
cheevo360

I loved Burnout Paradise, Burnout Revenge, Split/Second and this one, Ridge Racer Unbounded so much.

I like Blur but not good as above those
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
three15

ADZBOW rent it and prepare for endless frustration
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
DanteTheDutch

DanteTheDutch's Gamercard
I would say avoid it. But that's my opinion. Tracks are boring. Where is the drifting we all love from the old ridge racer games. Maybe 2 or 3 drifting corners. Tried a lot of tracks on my other acount but got bored pretty fast. Same as the events where you have to frag police cars. It's just no fun. Driving through buildings is fun for 10 minutes and then it's jsut a simple shortcut. I played split/second and that was much better then this. Since it's 1.8 GB they could have released it as a arcade title. I don't mind tha challenge since i 1'ked ridge racer 6,sega rally and split/second. Ok i have to admit that split/second wasn't that hard.

Last edited by DanteTheDutch; 04-08-2012 at 09:20 AM.
DanteTheDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
Marmite
Banned User

o Marmite o's Gamercard
Its the ninja gaiden of racing games. Doesn't matter if you have fast cars you'll still lose. The Imortal is one of the fastest but handles like its on ice. Multiplayer is broken.. theres only ever 5 ppl online. i did manage to get a 6 player race but every other is only 2 or 3 playerraces.

If you like flatout, split/second and burnout then buy it, if you prefer forza then avoid. if you hate hard games then avoid. Its such a brilliant racer ruined by a lack of players and a steep learning curve.
Marmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
shy4

slawunio84's Gamercard
game is brilliant!!!! I love it to bits! ther's no people online because of 3 main reasons first everyone after seing trailers and gameplay was thinking it will be another burnout but it's not! second thing for most peps out there it's too hard and last reason crap servers!!!!(kicking players out without reason all the time)
shy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #26
X Drlobo

X Drlobo's Gamercard
My input : avoid !
I knew it would be different from your regular ridge racer but it's so different you don't even have the ability to drift without hitting a button on the controller ... no throttle control or power sliding, just a dumb button to start drifting ... this doesn't make any sense and certainly doesn't deserve to be called 'ridge racer' at all.
X Drlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #27
Marmite
Banned User

o Marmite o's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by X Drlobo View Post
My input : avoid !
I knew it would be different from your regular ridge racer but it's so different you don't even have the ability to drift without hitting a button on the controller ... no throttle control or power sliding, just a dumb button to start drifting ... this doesn't make any sense and certainly doesn't deserve to be called 'ridge racer' at all.
That is such a dumb reason to avoid it because you got to press a button to drift lol - Just like every other racer when you have to press the handbreak or emergency break button.

Also I have no trouble power sliding or drifting without pressing B. You're just crap at it.

Last edited by Marmite; 04-10-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Missed something out.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Lol...this thread is so split Im not sure whether to avoid or rent.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #29
Marmite
Banned User

o Marmite o's Gamercard
my game keeps freezing so id say avoid until they fix it.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #30
mosin360

mosin360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Avoid. There is nothing worth playing here. The gameplay sucks and the achievements suck.

Avoid.

Last goal met: 200k - Oct 6, 2013

mosin360 is offline   Reply With Quote