PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooters > Battlefield 3
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: Magnum or REX?
Magnum 21 60.00%
REX 14 40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Eddy FIN

Eddy FIN's Gamercard
.44 Magnum vs. REX

Is it just me or is the Magnum a really hard weapon? It lets me down so many times in combat.. I often fire a shot towards an enemy, not being able to dial in a second shot before they kill me, only to see that they were dropped to somewhere between 1%-5% health from my first round. It seems like you always have to double-tap with the Magnum. (I play on Hardcore)

However with the REX I get one hit kills from distances that would for sure not have been killshots with the Magnum. They're both the same .44 caliber aren't they?

Which one do you prefer? For me, the REX, my only negative with it are the sights.
Eddy FIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
HighsounD

HighsounD's Gamercard
Hate both of them. They're both good guns but they suffer from terrible hit detection. Shoot three shots at a guy proned down in a corner and no hitmarks? F that.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
mark197205

mark197205's Gamercard
The REX is a .357, not a .44 so should be slightly weaker compared to the magnum.

Games at 100% = 9 (8 retail, 1 XBLA)
Games being worked on = A few..
mark197205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Magnum seems to have odd hit detection at times. I however prefer it over the REX, since I seem to do better with it than the REX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy FIN View Post
However with the REX I get one hit kills from distances that would for sure not have been killshots with the Magnum. They're both the same .44 caliber aren't they?
No, they don't REX uses the .357 magnum calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
In that case, people will have to download more RAM for it. Consoles have come a long way since they first appeared, so this is very possible.
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighsounD View Post
Hate both of them. They're both good guns but they suffer from terrible hit detection. Shoot three shots at a guy proned down in a corner and no hitmarks? F that.
Been having that trouble with a lot of guns, not just the pistols.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Eddy FIN

Eddy FIN's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark197205 View Post
The REX is a .357, not a .44 so should be slightly weaker compared to the magnum.
oh, I recall looking them up and noticing they both were .44's. I was surprised by that -- well figures, since I saw wrong.

I guess then definitely there's something wrong with the hit detection since the REX appears to cause more damage with a lower caliber.

Gun Master is always a pain when you get to the .44 ;o But l think it's a funny bottleneck since a lot of people get a little stuck at it. :b
Old 08-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
SeductiveNoodle

SeductiveNoodle's Gamercard
I voted for the Magnum, mainly because I've never used the REX before. Just recently I got the mastery tags with the magnum, and I can say if there is even a little bit of lag, the magnum is very difficult to kill people with. The hit detection seems off at times, but other than that it is a decent pistol and is very satisfying get kills with it.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
CGPsaint

CGPsaint's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
.44 Magnum all the way. It's a one-shot kill if you manage the headshot and almost always a 2-hit kill otherwise. I am coming up on my Mastery Tags with the .44 and then I will be switching to the Rex, but the .44 Magnum will be my go-to handgun once I have all Mastery Tags.

CGPsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
HighsounD

HighsounD's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGPsaint View Post
.44 Magnum all the way. It's a one-shot kill if you manage the headshot and almost always a 2-hit kill otherwise. I am coming up on my Mastery Tags with the .44 and then I will be switching to the Rex, but the .44 Magnum will be my go-to handgun once I have all Mastery Tags.
And if you manage the headshot but the terrible hit detection kicks in then it's a 8-shot kill.

I used to think like you, that I would use the .44 as my go-to pistol once I reach 500 with the other but nope, I have barely gotten 10 kills with it apart from Gun Master.

My go-to pistol for now will always be the 93R if I have tryhard pants on. When it gets nerfed I will probably use the M1911 for Assault, Engi and Support and then either use Rex, 93R or G18 as Recon. G18 Suppressed has been nerfed to oblivion, I can't even kill a guy standing still with it now.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
I3east Lig3r

Violet Eagle7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter
1911 is my favourite and go-to pistol, but if I had to choose between those two it would be the .44.

Credit to Dragonpwnr99 for the awesome sig & picture!
Quote:
Valor grows by daring, fear by holding back.
~Publilius Syrus
I3east Lig3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Opiate42

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
And if you manage the headshot but the terrible hit detection kicks in then it's a 8-shot kill.

I used to think like you, that I would use the .44 as my go-to pistol once I reach 500 with the other but nope, I have barely gotten 10 kills with it apart from Gun Master.

My go-to pistol for now will always be the 93R if I have tryhard pants on. When it gets nerfed I will probably use the M1911 for Assault, Engi and Support and then either use Rex, 93R or G18 as Recon. G18 Suppressed has been nerfed to oblivion, I can't even kill a guy standing still with it now.
Think my only .44 kills are from Gun Master. All whopping 12 of them. Rex? 3. Whoop.

G18? Ouch! That makes me sad panda to the extreme, haven't used it in a while to get some kills with other pistols I have sorely neglected. The G18 SUP was my go-to for ages, my top 5. With the TUGS, G18 and knife I'd wipe a whole squad out that's trying to counter cap

"Hit it"
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Skillet

Send a message via MSN to Skillet

Skillet x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Staff Club - Skillet   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   SOTF Runner Up   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
MP412. Higher RoF with a smaller spread. I can fire it as quickly as my 1911 (which is my favorite sidearm) but score kills in as little as 2 shots. Where the 1911 requires 4. It's a no-brainer, really.

Read them.... apply them.

Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Eddy FIN

Eddy FIN's Gamercard
Since people are posting about pistols in general, I like to use the M9 or 1911. Good sights on both of them and I've gotten out of plently a jams with the M9.

Quote:
... It's a one-shot kill if you manage the headshot ...
Doesn't that apply to any gun? ;V
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
I3east Lig3r

Quote:
Not in Battlefield- only snipers, .44 magnum, and slugs can kill in one headshot at any range

Quote:
~Publilius Syrus
Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
HighsounD

HighsounD's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3east Lig3r View Post
Not in Battlefield- only snipers, .44 magnum, and slugs can kill in one headshot at any range
You forgot RPG/SMAW and M320
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Eddy FIN

Eddy FIN's Gamercard
Quote:
Good to know. That clears up some of those 'wtf I the only place that shot could've hit 'em was in the head that's sticking out!' -moments.

Still wouldn't like to get tagged in the head with an M60
Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
I3east Lig3r

Quote:
You forgot RPG/SMAW and M320
Typically you wouldn't aim directly at them, and it would be a lot harder to because the speed of the grenade/Rocket is a lot slower than a bullet.

Quote:
~Publilius Syrus
Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Barad
Reading 50 Shades of Grey

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891   Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Gold   15,000 Posts
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Whenever I play Gunmaster, I seem to fly through when it comes to the Magnum so it has to be that.

**Work of Jardinho**
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
CGPsaint

CGPsaint's Gamercard

Quote:
Since people are posting about pistols in general, I like to use the M9 or 1911. Good sights on both of them and I've gotten out of plently a jams with the M9.

Snopes!

Quote:
^^^ What he said!

I definitely agree that the hit detection with a lot of the handguns is pure rubbish, but when it's on, the .44 can be absolutely devastating in close combat. The first time that I got a double-headshot/double kill with my .44 was the moment that I knew that it was going to be my go-to handgun in BF3.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #20
secretkaos187

secretkaos187's Gamercard
Amen! I voted the REX. I have had a harder time with the Magnum than I did with the REX
secretkaos187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
gravelandx88

gravelandx88's Gamercard
Neither. I prefer the M1911.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
katesith

Send a message via Skype™ to katesith

Katesith x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I prefer the .44 Magnum, it sounds so boss and I just can't get used to the REX.

<THANKS AUDACIOUS!>
katesith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
BBDrew84

BBDrew's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
MP412 REX is definitely my favorite hand gun in BF3. Its hip fire accuracy along with it stopping power is a great combo for me. I went 53-9 the other night with the QBU-88 and MP412 REX, the MP412 REX was my best weapon with 25 kills. Not to mention the reload animation for it is the sexiest in the game

BBDrew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #24
CGPsaint

CGPsaint's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDrew84 View Post
MP412 REX is definitely my favorite hand gun in BF3. Its hip fire accuracy along with it stopping power is a great combo for me. I went 53-9 the other night with the QBU-88 and MP412 REX, the MP412 REX was my best weapon with 25 kills. Not to mention the reload animation for it is the sexiest in the game
N..N..N..ecro...POST!

But since you brought it back up, I'm going to have to change my preference. I can appreciate the .44 Magnum, but after getting used to the Rex, it is now my go-to sidearm of choice. The accuracy and hit detection seems to be more spot on, and the recoil is definitely more manageable.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
BBDrew84

BBDrew's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
N..N..N..ecro...POST!

But since you brought it back up, I'm going to have to change my preference. I can appreciate the .44 Magnum, but after getting used to the Rex, it is now my go-to sidearm of choice. The accuracy and hit detection seems to be more spot on, and the recoil is definitely more manageable.
I am good at doing that, bringing old threads back to light. But with good reason, I recently broke the Rex back out and got around 50 kills the other night with it.

BBDrew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
In Solitude

1911 hands down shoots faster, longer clip, but if I had to chose Rex the 44.mag seems a little strange when I use it I don't know why it just does.
In Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #27
Opiate42

Opiate42's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDrew84 View Post
I am good at doing that, bringing old threads back to light. But with good reason, I recently broke the Rex back out and got around 50 kills the other night with it.
Rex has been my go-to for a while now. Nothing else seems as cozy to me

"Hit it"
Old 09-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #28
CGPsaint

CGPsaint's Gamercard

I wonder how many times I've died whilst staring in rapt fascination at the Rex reload animation...

Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
Opiate42

Opiate42's Gamercard

Quote:
I wonder how many times I've died whilst staring in rapt fascination at the Rex reload animation...
About as many times as I died just this week from using the Suppressed 443 instead of the REX. Have <200 kills with it. Swapped to that one to keep the REX from creeping into my top 5 and .... well it's not as nice.

EDIT: Crap. It's no. 4. Exactly 2 kills above my M40A5. Time to start counter-camping again.

"Hit it"
Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
DoraExploresMe

BigScruffyBear's Gamercard
Magnum for me
DoraExploresMe is offline   Reply With Quote