PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
SML693

XI M03 L3ST3R X's Gamercard
Umbra or Masque?

So I recently went back to playing oblivion to do things I had never done years ago when I beat the game and got every achievement (101% reflect damage, do the daedric shrine quests, etc.) just because I like the game so much. anyways my question is basically opinionated: do you think I should keep the sword of umbra or get the masque of clavicus vile? I dont have much need for either as I dont care about personality (I can bribe people) and soul trapping isnt a huge deal to me. They both look pretty sweet though, so, which do you guys think?

thanks
SML693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #2
arachnophilia

Send a message via ICQ to arachnophilia Send a message via AIM to arachnophilia Send a message via MSN to arachnophilia Send a message via Yahoo to arachnophilia

xiphosura's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
neither really?

umbra's really only useful as long as you don't complete the quest. even then, it's arguably not a very good sword, compared to the one you could make yourself.

i think i ended up ditching umbra for the mask, just to get out of my inventory.
arachnophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
SML693

XI M03 L3ST3R X's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by arachnophilia View Post
neither really?

umbra's really only useful as long as you don't complete the quest. even then, it's arguably not a very good sword, compared to the one you could make yourself.

i think i ended up ditching umbra for the mask, just to get out of my inventory.
Ok thanks. The reason I had asked was because I was using a guide to remember the names of the amulets and rings to get 101% reflect damage since I hadn't played in awhile, and it said Umbra and Goldbond were good options for a sword after getting the reflect. I forgot i could just enchant a weapon haha. and then there's all that DLC that I have to redownload, I'm sure I can find something. Just out of curiosity, what sword do you usually use (if its custom, what are the stats?). Just trying to get an idea of what I can/should create, its been awhile since ive played... too long haha.

thanks again
SML693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Subscriber - Gold   Achievement Guide - Silver   Donator - Level 4   Green Thumb - Silver   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   x360a Representer   Road Map - Gold   A+ Thread Award   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
umbras way overated, i just kept he mask as it looks quite cool. also in reply to what sword you should make, i always use a katana and just put drain health 35pts for 2 secs then 5pts frost, fire, shock then soul trap for 1 sec. does a pretty good job but you'll need to recharge it quite a lot.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
xXI JEDI IXx

xXI JEDI IXx's Gamercard
If you don't complete the quest Umbra stays at 0 weight giving you a pretty good "free" sword in your inventory. That combined with Azura's star is pretty handy even if soul trapping isn't too important, just nice to have.
xXI JEDI IXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
NeonRelapse

Send a message via AIM to NeonRelapse

NeonRelapse's Gamercard
Quest-Item Umbra (zero weight) and Azura's Star combine to make the cheapest and easiest way to recharge your enchanted items. Just run around trapping souls with Umbra, use Azura's Star immediately to recharge your items, and there you have it: no more paying for recharges and no more hunting down soul gems.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
The Eddmeister

The Eddmeister's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonRelapse View Post
Quest-Item Umbra (zero weight) and Azura's Star combine to make the cheapest and easiest way to recharge your enchanted items. Just run around trapping souls with Umbra, use Azura's Star immediately to recharge your items, and there you have it: no more paying for recharges and no more hunting down soul gems.

This
I personally loved Umbra, for this reason
Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Coorhagon

Coorhagon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI JEDI IXx View Post
If you don't complete the quest Umbra stays at 0 weight giving you a pretty good "free" sword in your inventory. That combined with Azura's star is pretty handy even if soul trapping isn't too important, just nice to have.
Agreed, just hotkey Umbra and some other good magic weapons. Hit them once with umbra them kill them with the other swords and the sould will go into Azura's Star which is refillable. You will never run out of charge ever again.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #9
LordDVS

Bac0n Gamer's Gamercard
I would go with just enchanting a weapon to make a "best" weapon. Only, I miss Morrowinds ability to enchant things "Permanently" so I didn't worry about charges, period.

On that note, I hate having to recharge weapons, so I would go with the Umbra/Azura star combo to keep "free" recharges an option. But I just bypass the whole carrying a ton of crap scenario for my lovely Duskfang/Dawnfang sword. In my opinion, the most "practical" sword. It's 4 swords in one, every day/night it changes form, refreshing it's durability and charges. If you ran out of charges within that 12hr timespan, you've done a god-awful lot of killing. And that would likely net you the upgraded version of the next sword in rotation, which not only does flame or frost damage, but now drains health or magicka as well. It's a fine damaging sword, decent weight, looks bad ass (did I mention it likes to keep track of your kills, til you satiate it's hunger?), and upgrades itself if you keep it happy with killing things.

I rather the sword that is more useful, low maintenance, and makes killing FUN. But that's just my opinion.