Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Fez
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Black Monolith - Search for the Real Solution

My logic is as follows.

The burnt treasure map is half of a whole, which means the other information used to be there, but is now missing. Theoretically, that information should lie elsewhere in the game.
All I want to know is, can anyone find another instance of the pattern that remains on the map? Is it written anywhere else, in any room or wall?
I'm probably just grasping at straws but this just struck me now as an epiphany.

Last edited by Fenrakk101; 04-18-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Changing title, maybe?
Fenrakk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
A BENGAL HOBO

A BENGAL HOBO's Gamercard
i havnt seen the second half
A BENGAL HOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Speedbeatz

Well, let's start in the room where we found the map in the first place. Scour the floors. It definitely looks burned but who knows.

...What room did we find the map in?
Speedbeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by A BENGAL HOBO View Post
i havnt seen the second half
That's the point. I'm talking about the half we already see.
If we can find the same thing that's on the treasure map written somewhere in the game, that could lead us to the missing data from the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbeatz View Post
Well, let's start in the room where we found the map in the first place. Scour the floors. It definitely looks burned but who knows.

...What room did we find the map in?
Not a clue anymore.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
LimboBimbo

iLimboBimbo's Gamercard
I'm almost certain that the monolith is a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Haven't figured out the solution yet though.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Phonomezer

Anyone considered what the skull artifact is for? Black...death...skull...etc

There are some grooves in it which may or may not be of any importance, but I might give it a shot in any case.
Phonomezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonomezer View Post

Anyone considered what the skull artifact is for? Black...death...skull...etc

There are some grooves in it which may or may not be of any importance, but I might give it a shot in any case.
I was actually looking at the skull too...
There's a picture of it in the boiler room in Gomez's World. A poster tacked on the wall next to it says "XYZ" if I translated it correctly. Make of it what you will.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
deaddeaddead

With the parallel to the monolith in 2001, you'd almost expect to be able to use a bone, but doesn't seem like it.
deaddeaddead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddeaddead View Post
With the parallel to the monolith in 2001, you'd almost expect to be able to use a bone, but doesn't seem like it.
Hints maybe?

Also, this might be irrelevant, but...
In the four-cube door, there's the one room at the top that's just a big black hole. But in the minimap, you can see the actual walls, and if you zoom in enough and have a big enough tv you can make out what's written on the walls. Might be a clue?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
Speedbeatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrakk101 View Post
Hints maybe?

Also, this might be irrelevant, but...
In the four-cube door, there's the one room at the top that's just a big black hole. But in the minimap, you can see the actual walls, and if you zoom in enough and have a big enough tv you can make out what's written on the walls. Might be a clue?
It's the exact same as the room to it's right on the map with the "cave paintings". Interestingly the black holes make up about the same shape as what we have of the burnt map. Probably just a coincidence but.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
It's the exact same as the room to it's right on the map with the "cave paintings". Interestingly the black holes make up about the same shape as what we have of the burnt map. Probably just a coincidence but.
Mind, blown.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Phonomezer

Which room is this?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Speedbeatz

http://i.imgur.com/dNFFH.jpg

Like I said, probably meaningless, but still interesting. It's behind the 4-cube door, the uppermost room.

edit: Hmm, incidentally, the map thumbnail for a room in this area is wrong. The bottom-right one, with the four people bowing to the owl - the map shows a depiction of an evolution line instead. Maybe just a changed idea/error?

Last edited by Speedbeatz; 04-15-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
Which room is this?
Open the four-cube door, go to the top, there's a room that's basically entirely a black hole. Doesn't seem too interesting anymore.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
mas4mune

mas4mune's Gamercard
the skull is very curious. if you look underneath, there are three holes that are arranged in the shape of the visitor's eyes. if this is a visitor skull (tentacle holes? who knows), why is the regular face shaped with a jaw and the eyes in a straight line? if this is a skull of one of the other peoples in the world, why are there three holes at the bottom? i've tried hitting X all over that damn thing and nothing happens. perhaps a button combo could make something work, but, again, all theory and no leads. if you have stereoscopy on, there is a red rectangle under the skull, but i think that's more of a coding issue than anything else.

i think the 2001 thing may just be a homage. the black monoliths were machines, so i don't see how it relates.

EDIT: just had a look at that map/black hole image. it even seems to have the wear on the edges in the same spots. i must investigate.

Last edited by mas4mune; 04-15-2012 at 03:29 PM.
mas4mune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas4mune View Post
the skull is very curious. if you look underneath, there are three holes that are arranged in the shape of the visitor's eyes. if this is a visitor skull (tentacle holes? who knows), why is the regular face shaped with a jaw and the eyes in a straight line? if this is a skull of one of the other peoples in the world, why are there three holes at the bottom? i've tried hitting X all over that damn thing and nothing happens. perhaps a button combo could make something work, but, again, all theory and no leads. if you have stereoscopy on, there is a red rectangle under the skull, but i think that's more of a coding issue than anything else.

i think the 2001 thing may just be a homage. the black monoliths were machines, so i don't see how it relates.
Like I said, there's a poster that depicts this exact face in the boiler room of Gomez's World.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
mas4mune

mas4mune's Gamercard
Quote:
Like I said, there's a poster that depicts this exact face in the boiler room of Gomez's World.
there are also letters and numbers from the other worlds in there. eyepatch's secret research stash? who knows.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
there are also letters and numbers from the other worlds in there. eyepatch's secret research stash? who knows.
The answer must be here then, right? Or somewhere else in the world?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
mas4mune

mas4mune's Gamercard
Quote:
The answer must be here then, right? Or somewhere else in the world?
i have no doubt in my mind the answer is in the game somewhere, but i'm fairly sure i've read everything by now. soon i'll be able to write fez better than english.
on closer inspection of the black hole room, i find nothing of value here except the extreme coincidence between the shapes. i tried the monolith code but nothing happened. if you fly fast enough you don't die in the black hole, so i inspected every seam of that room. nothing to report, sadly. i'm dabbling with the fact that you can't rotate these rooms. trying to figure something out.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
AlfSimen

Alf Simen NOR's Gamercard
The image shown as a preview before you go into the room with the black hole depicts the wall of another room: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2131950/Pics...413_191837.jpg
AlfSimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
i have no doubt in my mind the answer is in the game somewhere, but i'm fairly sure i've read everything by now. soon i'll be able to write fez better than english.
on closer inspection of the black hole room, i find nothing of value here except the extreme coincidence between the shapes. i tried the monolith code but nothing happened. if you fly fast enough you don't die in the black hole, so i inspected every seam of that room. nothing to report, sadly. i'm dabbling with the fact that you can't rotate these rooms. trying to figure something out.
I think not rotating the rooms is part of the story... that world used to exist only in 2D, so its creators we can assume existed in 2D.
The next world is in 3D though, and so is Gomez's World and the past door.... so I really don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfSimen View Post
The image shown as a preview before you go into the room with the black hole depicts the wall of another room: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2131950/Pics...413_191837.jpg
We already figured that out. Sorry for not being perceptive enough to figure it out before I posted that.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
Phonomezer

This is driving me crazy.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
This is driving me crazy.
All of us, man.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
AlfSimen

Quote:
We already figured that out. Sorry for not being perceptive enough to figure it out before I posted that.
I saw that you had figured out that there were something depicted, someone mentioned that it looked like an evolution-line. What it actually depicts are some creatures hunting, killing and roasting something. That's why I wanted to post the photo. So chill down a bit will ya?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
grimrock

grimrock64's Gamercard
i am giving tweeting at them a shot XD iv been all over the map and couldn't sleep because I MUST KNOW.
grimrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
Fenrakk101

Fenrakku's Gamercard
Quote:
I saw that you had figured out that there were something depicted, someone mentioned that it looked like an evolution-line. What it actually depicts are some creatures hunting, killing and roasting something. That's why I wanted to post the photo. So chill down a bit will ya?
Quote:
This is what I'm referring to.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
Speedbeatz

Quote:
This was me, and I was talking about a different room in the same area.

http://i.imgur.com/Py0Ij.jpg
The actual room in question has that layout, but the plaque instead depicts (for me at least) four figures bowing to an owl.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #28
got99probl3ms

Francis Edwood's Gamercard
i tweeted many of them and no response..
got99probl3ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #29
ll X ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimrock View Post
i am giving tweeting at them a shot XD iv been all over the map and couldn't sleep because I MUST KNOW.
I haven't finished the game yet. But i think they will not give out their secret this quick. It needs time for the other people playing the game. I'm giving them a month or two before starting to help. By then maybe we all would already figure it out :P
Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #30
AlfSimen

Quote:
This was me, and I was talking about a different room in the same area.
Ok, sorry, so many rooms >_<

Quote:
This is what I'm referring to.
My bad.