Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Halo 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #421
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Have been playing on Normal using Fog, Catch, Tough Luck, and Mythic rather than Famine for the same multiplier.

Enemies have more health so you chew through ammo and need to focus on headshots but they're less aggressive and you're less likely to die and lose points than on Heroic. Without Famine there's plenty of weapons on the ground to swap and salvage ammo which has saved my tail a few times. I may add in Thunderstorm or Black Eye later if I'm coming up short, but haven't yet.

Just wish the driver AI when on the warthog turret wasn't so dumb!! Hello? We're driving AWAY from the fight?!?!? I think squad AI goes down the tubes when you turns skulls on.
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #422
US07

Usman S's Gamercard
I found the easiest way was to play on normal with the skulls; fog, tough luck, catch and thunderstorm on i always earned at least 10,000 more points than were required on each level.
US07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #423
cartoonboy

Send a message via MSN to cartoonboy

anuFalcon's Gamercard
I tried the other night with difficulty @ normal , 2 skulls & grunt bday party. Finished @ 12998. Will try again with a couple more skulls.

I still have a couple skulls to get in the campaign - Famine, Tilt, Cowbell, IWHBYD an Blind.
cartoonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #424
cartoonboy

Send a message via MSN to cartoonboy

anuFalcon's Gamercard
Turned on - Catch, Fog, Tough Luck, Mythic, Iron & Thunderstorm. Was going good until the area where the dropship gets taken out and the little grunts were launching stickies like crazy. Died 3 times (-200pts x 3). But by that point I was around 4000pts. I'll just turn off catch and try it again.
cartoonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #425
EDCrtehbest

Ethan The Drake's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidAngel View Post
I think the multiplier is only for skulls you find during the playthrough, I played with grunts birthday on and didn't get any skull multiplier at the end for it
Grunt b-day party skull is a secondary skull. Secondary skulls don't add anything to the skull multiplier
EDCrtehbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #426
sqicy chiqotles

sqicy chiqotles's Gamercard
I just finished the last meta game achievement the skulls i used were tough luck,fog,mythic,Famine,Cowbell,grunt birthday party, and on and off with tilt. With these skulls on normal i easily reached the mark on all the levels here's some advice in case you're having trouble.
1.Battle rifle is your best friend you should always use it if you can.
2.never try to just get a kill. Aim for the head and always sticky a high level brute if you can.
3.Time isn't to important im not saying hide in a corner for 2 minutes but dont rush you'll just get yourself killed.
4. Again you should always be using a sticky or needler on brutes if possible.
5. If you see a ghost,chopper,etc try to destroy the whole thing instead of just the driver you will get more points.

As long as you follow these rules and use the skulls shown you should be fine.
sqicy chiqotles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #427
minimaster58

minimaster58's Gamercard
If the achievement doesn't unlock then wait for it to automatically go on the next level and get to the next checkpoint that got me the achievement once.
Also do skulls multiply your base score at the end of the level or do they do it throughout the level?
Old 08-06-2010, 03:39 AM   #428
alf2cool

alf2cool's Gamercard
Mister Buds' post in this thread on how to get the 50K points on The Ark and The Covenant is perfect - got them both on the first try. Promote that info to the first page!
alf2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #429
alf2cool

alf2cool's Gamercard
Second that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by US07 View Post
I found the easiest way was to play on normal with the skulls; fog, tough luck, catch and thunderstorm on i always earned at least 10,000 more points than were required on each level.
Ditto, this worked really well for me too (except for the 50K levels, I used this advice for that).
alf2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #430
KryptosFang

KryptosFang's Gamercard
Caimpaign Meta Game Achievements

So uh, I'd like to shed some light on this.

I did 2 so far on normal. BUT I had all Gold skulls on (except Iron and Black Eye) and went a little over 30k solo. For the second achievement, my brother played with me on FFA scoring, I got around 22k while he got 15k. So, screw having 3 skulls on, or on Legendary, I say put it on normal and put Tough Luck, Catch, Mythic, Tilt, Thunderstorm, Famine, and Fog on. And to all who say "NO FAMINE FFS QQ", the crates for weapons (both Covenant and UNSC) are still full to the brim.

The only problem I ran into was the level Cortana. My friend said you had to do it on Heroic, but I will be trying it on Normal soon. Will post results!
KryptosFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #431
KryptosFang

KryptosFang's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptosFang View Post
So uh, I'd like to shed some light on this.

I did 2 so far on normal. BUT I had all Gold skulls on (except Iron and Black Eye) and went a little over 30k solo. For the second achievement, my brother played with me on FFA scoring, I got around 22k while he got 15k. So, screw having 3 skulls on, or on Legendary, I say put it on normal and put Tough Luck, Catch, Mythic, Tilt, Thunderstorm, Famine, and Fog on. And to all who say "NO FAMINE FFS QQ", the crates for weapons (both Covenant and UNSC) are still full to the brim.

The only problem I ran into was the level Cortana. My friend said you had to do it on Heroic, but I will be trying it on Normal soon. Will post results!
Cortana is easy. I did it in co-op FFA scoring with my brother and we both got around 20k points with my skull recommendations. There are 2 flamethrowers that tear through flood with multikills easily. You don't get multikill medals, I know, but you DO get more points if you get them. I don't know about the 50k levels, but I will try one later today. Hopefully, I won't need to go on Heroic to get those, if I will, I will post here saying so.

Last edited by KryptosFang; 03-18-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #432
Johnny Reklaw

Johnny Reklaw's Gamercard
I just did all 9 levels on easy. Yes, that's right, I got EVERY meta-game point challenge on easy with only .25 points for each kill. This is much easier than anything I've read here thus far....and I have read most everything here.

My thought process was what turned the tides in my favor. I looked at everything in front of me, and here is how I did it.

1) Every skull except blind and Iron on. If you are adventurous and willing to try it, go for Iron as well, just be careful, Damage is not the only way to die.

2) Using the Time Multiplier to my advantage.

3) Using the skulls to my advantage.

Let me explain:

First, lets get the basics:

The meta game is accessed from the main menu. Click campaign, pick your level and hardness, then hit "X". The Meta game means turning scoring and skulls on. In Halo 3, you must find find all these skulls in game on normal or harder to have the ability to activate them. If you can't activate, you haven't found them. Anyway, scoring can be on team or Free For All, just know it is points you personally earn that count. I did it on solo, and I recommend that as well.

Now that the introductory paragraph is done, lets get into strategy.

1) Use the skulls to your advantage. Lets discuss skulls in detail.

A) Iron:

Pro= 3x bonus multiplier, the highest of any of the skulls.
Con= In solo, if you die you start over and your time doesn't. If you use a NP Guest, you start at the most recent checkpoint...but if he is in a spot he dies, you may be in trouble.

I went solo...I didn't use this one because death is not always due to damage.

B) Blackeye

Pros= 1.5 multiplier, and a virtually endless supply of health. Since you're on easy, you can withstand a full gravity hammer to the face...and live. Find a grunt, brute, or even the guy with the hammer and hit him for instant shield revive.

Cons= um....the Level HALO when you fight the monitor takes out your shield with no way to recover. Other than that it was a lifesaver.

C) Toughluck

Pros= 1.5 point multiplier. Predictable enemy locations after throwing grenades with momentary recovery time. Grunts seem less likely to stick themselves or their allies.

Cons= Makes grenade sticks from a distance practically impossible. Splash damage from grenades is unlikely as everyone, even grunts dodge.

This one is on for points.

D) Catch

Pros= 1.5 point multiplier. more grenades than you can shake a hammer at. When throwing, enemies remain stationary. No effect on covenant levels.

Cons= none that I notice. You're on easy, their aim sucks and even if you're stuck, nothing seems to happen except a quarter shield loss.

E) Fog

Pros= 1.5 point multiplier. Excellent training for multiplayer swat training.

Cons= No radar...but again, you're on easy. It really isn't necessary.

F) Famine

Pros= 2x point multiplier.

Cons= Reduced ammo drops, including melee weapons which I discuss below.

G) Thunderstorm

Pros= 1.5 point multiplier, higher ranked enemies means more points...kinda like a double bonus on points.

Cons= more brute chieftans which are a pain, enemies take more damage.

F) Mythic

Pros= 2x point multiplier

Cons= Enemies take more damage without giving more points

G) Tilt

Pros= 2x point multiplier

Cons= Your bullets are worthless against brutes.

H) Blind

Pros= none
Cons= no HUD, no bonus multiplier

I) Grunt Birthday

Pros= A satisfactory "YAY" after headshotting a grunt, splash damage to other enemies in the area
Cons= no bonus multiplier.

J) Cowbell

Pros= movie-esk explosions from grenades
Cons= no bonus multiplier

K) IWHBYD (I would have been your daddy)

Pros= occasional funny lines from the computer
Cons= no bonus multiplier

So, that in mind, look at your strategy. I gave a lot of detail into blackeye, because I spent 80% of my in-game time meleeing enemies. When you play without this, you have to wait to regain shield, but here you are on easy, so run up (you take very minimal damage) and get as many melee kills as possible. Grunts and jackals can be killed long-range with the BR and pistol with headshots for points, but take the fight up close. There is no lag time in the melee heal, so keep smacking away.

On crow's nest, I had 5-8 brutes including a chieftan with a hammer hitting me nonstop, but as I returned the hits I got health right back. They all went down in under a minute of constant meleeing.

Melee weapons count, which makes the grav hammer and sword almighty weapons in this setup. If those aren't available or are empty, pick up a brute shot and go for it. The brute shot increases your melee damage and even empty, is powerful.

Specialty grenades are your friend. As you play, learn enemy movements, especially since Tough Luck is on. Grenade sticks will eliminate brute foes (except chieftans) instantly, and since catch is on they will often drop 1 or 2 more grenades. Again, catch makes them throw more, and if they are throwing they are not dodging. Take their moment of bad aim, and stick them where it counts. If you're out, simply melee. 4-5 hits with the brute shot and they're dead. Remember, once armor is gone they can be shot. You can stick from a distance if they haven't seen you, but don't waste grenades if they have, they will dodge every time. Get up close for good sticks (or just melee)

Sticks or headshots give the same multiplier. Also remember that even empty, melee weapons can be used (though the brute shot is preferable). The run and gun method...rather run and hit method...is best. You have to keep moving.

Why keep moving? Because the time multiplier is your friend. The skull multiplier is added to each kill, but the time multiplier isn't added till the end. So if you're on Sierra 117, and you only have 5176 points at the end of the level, check your multiplier. If you standing at 3x, you will get it. Break it down like this:

FOR LEVELS AT 15000

3.0x- complete the level with 5000 or more points
2.5x- complete the level with 6000 or more points
2.0x- complete the level with 7.5000 or more points
1.5x- complete the level with 10,000 or more points
1.0x- complete the level with 15,000 or more points

FOR LEVELS AT 50000

3.0x- complete the level with 16,667 points or higher
2.5x- complete the level with 20,000 points or higher
2.0x- complete the level with 25,000 points or higher
1.5x- complete the level with 33,334 points or higher
1.0x- complete the level with 50,000 points or higher

Now for the time breakdown, because you have to know how long you need.

Sierra 117= 0-15 min = 3.0x, 15-20 min = 2.5x, 20-25 min = 2.0x, 25-30 min = 1.5x, 30+ min = 1.0x

Crow's Nest= 0-20 min = 3.0x, 20-25 min = 2.5x, 25-30 min = 2.0x, 30-35 min = 1.5x, 35+ min = 1.0x

Tsavo Highway= 0-15 min = 3.0x, 15-20 min = 2.5x, 20-25 min = 2.0x, 25-30 min = 1.5x, 30+ min = 1.0x

The Storm= 0-15 min = 3.0x, 15-20 min = 2.5x, 20-25 min = 2.0x, 25-30 min = 1.5x, 30+ min = 1.0x

Floodgate= 0-10 min = 3.0x, 10-15 min = 2.5x, 15-20 min = 2.0x, 20-25 min = 1.5x, 25+ min = 1.0x

The Ark 0-20= min = 3.0x, 20-30 min = 2.5x, 30-40 min = 2.0x, 40-50 min = 1.5x, 50+ min = 1.0x

The Covenant= 0-20 min = 3.0x, 20-30 min = 2.5x, 30-40 min = 2.0x, 40-50 min = 1.5x, 50+ min = 1.0x

Cortana= 0-15 min = 3.0x, 15-20 min = 2.5x, 20-25 min = 2.0x, 25-30 min = 1.5x, 30+ min = 1.0x

Halo= 0-15 min = 3.0x, 15-20 min = 2.5x, 20-25 min = 2.0x, 25-30 min = 1.5x, 30+ min = 1.0x

So...always be thinking: "How close am I to the end?" It may be fruitful to run past a group of enemies, like I did in Tsavo Highway because I had 30 seconds left. I could have killed the hunters, but the points they were worth just wouldn't be worth losing .5 on the time multiplier. I had the points I needed so I just bypassed them (hit a grunt along the way to regain health) and booked it to the end of the level.

Last edited by Johnny Reklaw; 03-28-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Johnny Reklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #433
Johnny Reklaw

Johnny Reklaw's Gamercard
However, having been on "The Covenant" (a level I despise with a passion) I booked it the whole time, and found myself needing to hang back and slash a few flood before running into the pelican...because otherwise my points would be too low.

The time multiplier is applied at the end, skull multiplier is in your cumulative total.

As long as you remember that, it is very simple to do these achievements on easy. I maybe shot 5 whole enemies (including Guilty spark) through the whole campaign, and it took about 3 hours of gameplay.

Before I sign off of this lengthy reply, a few added tid-bits for your information:

-Hijacking a vehicle from a covenant counts as a melee
-the hammer and sword still hit normal melee when they are empty
-When in a vehicle, your damage ratio is way up. If you need health, get out and hit something...they'll be near.
-Longer levels such as "The Ark" and "The Covenant" need to be done on a "keep moving" basis...even more than usual. Be an efficient killer.
-Sticks, headshots, assassinations, and multikills add 1.25 multiplier (in your cumulative total) per kill.
-Chieftans with hammers are priority 1. It sucks to die on the level the covenant because a chieftan sent you flying off the catwalk (ie death without damage). They are immune to being stuck, but firegrenades are another story!
-The clips in-game with Cortana and Gravemind talking do NOT count against your time.
-Use ax grenades before stickies in close range combat, you will kill yourself with your own grenades (but enemy grenades are greatly reduced)
-There is no wrong in bypassing whole parts of a level. In "The Covenant" I bypassed the whole section with the tank using a mongoose and went straight for the Scarabs. Then I bypassed killing the flood, only meleeing occasionally for health. This secured me a 3x bonus multiplier with only 18,000 earned points.
-Vehicle kills count more if you destroy the vehicle with the driver inside, rather than hijacking or just killing the driver. The tank makes you a point earning machine....don't waste it!
-if the level ending isn't loading, roam around for a while. I was almost shorted in "The Ark," but when I went back to the door I came out of in the last area, it loaded the ending.
-In the last level, point whore at the beginning. The second half is all driving, so get a good 8,000 before starting just in case. If you've done Vidmaster: Annual, you may know the path by heart.

Happy Hunting guys
Johnny Reklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #434
khardiss

Khardiss's Gamercard
Awesome post Johnny! You explain everything so well even an idiot like me can understand what to do. Thank you! Now, can you do one of these for every achievement on all of my games?
khardiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #435
KryptosFang

KryptosFang's Gamercard
I love your guide. Much better than my half-assed one.

To anyone reading this, keep in mind when you are doing these achievements co-op, you will get more than enough for you both. I played the 7th mission solo and got 100k points with my skulls on. Also, if you do co-op, on normal with my skulls, try it with iron if you find your points a little low. Especially if you have 3-4 people in the party.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #436
sweetnsour

MidnightBleu's Gamercard
Me and my boyfriend scored over 16,000 points for the Cavalier achievement and it didn't pop! Wtf?
sweetnsour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #437
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Do it as fast as possible for max multiplyer and use the right skulls for each level. For the love of god though dont turn Iron on.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #438
kezzaH

The Asus4's Gamercard
easy to understand.. cant wait to get started brother!
kezzaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #439
RBradrickH117

RBradrickH117's Gamercard
Not so bad

The meta achievements were not as bad as i thought they would be. Got most of them with little stress and difficulty.
RBradrickH117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #440
UltimateTT66

UltimateTT66's Gamercard
From bungee, for all the people playing co op expecting to get the scores...

Individual vs. Cooperative Play

Campaign Scoring can be enjoyed by one to four players. It works the same whether you’re playing alone or with friends but it really gets fun when a group of players compete against one another to Finish the Fight and try for the highest score. However, there are trade-offs to be considered – the amount of enemies in the game does not automatically scale with the introduction of more players. So, four people will basically have ¼ as many kills as they would if they played the same settings by themselves. Of course you are also a lot more likely to die, which also will hurt your point total. On the other hand, being a particularly devious player might mean that you can leech a lot of free points and steal kills from your allies while they do all the work. Campaign scoring is fun in all instances but for me there’s not much better than fighting side by side with three buddies and having it all come down to whoever gets the final headshot on the Chieftain to decide the victor.

Free-for-All & Team Scoring

To enable campaign scoring, the party leader simply has to press the X button from the Campaign Lobby to bring up the “Campaign Options” menu. At this screen you can choose between “Free for All Scoring”, “Team Scoring” or “None.”

Free-for-all scoring will keep an individual score tally for everyone in the game. You will have your own score bar displayed throughout the entire mission and then individual totals at the end of the level via the campaign carnage report. Team Scoring, on the other hand, lets players group into a team and work together for a combined score. Note that the score-based achievements are only able to be earned by individuals, based on their final individual score.
UltimateTT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #441
DreamTeam Kyle

DreamTeam Kyle's Gamercard
Very helpful. I think Iron skull is a no brainer if you're playing solo
DreamTeam Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote