PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Dragon's Lair
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #61
ptc

Monhegan's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLaKgRaVy View Post
I unlocked "Date with Daphne" on three dummy profiles last night. For each of them, I went through the steps (with console off, I unplugged ethernet, changed the date, played a game offline, achievement unlocked). After every profile test, I powered down the console and plugged in the ethernet and turned the machine on for the date to reset. Then I turned it off again and unplugged the ethernet, etc. I did this for every profile. The achievement unlocked on every profile.

I didn't have to manually connect to Live since I plugged in my ethernet with the console off.

ptc, I don't know what you did differently for it not to unlock...
It's perplexing. I played around with this last night, for about an hour, trying to unlock it. Nothing seemed to work, including doing exactly what you suggested several times. I THINK it has something to do with the game thinking I'm not signed into a profile (although I most definitely am singed into my profile, just not connect to xbox live). When trying to start a Kinect game, it basically wouldn't let me because every time I put the sword over "play game" to launch a message would come up saying "You're not signed in, do you want to sign in", so I'd sign into my profile (again) and then a message would say I am not connected to xbox live giving me the binary "yes" or "no" to diagnose the problem. If I chose yes, it would completely kick me out of the game and go to the system test. If I chose "no" it would bring me back to the main menu. So I unplugged the Kinect and tried several more times with the controller. Again, it will let me play a controller game of DL just fine (which I did several times, including a complete run through on easy with the guide off). No achievement. I might just have to wait until it really is June 19 to unlock this one
ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #62
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

Send a message via Skype™ to bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   Green Thumb - Silver   Micro Guide - Gold   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Minty   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
It's perplexing. I played around with this last night, for about an hour, trying to unlock it. Nothing seemed to work, including doing exactly what you suggested several times. I THINK it has something to do with the game thinking I'm not signed into a profile (although I most definitely am singed into my profile, just not connect to xbox live). When trying to start a Kinect game, it basically wouldn't let me because every time I put the sword over "play game" to launch a message would come up saying "You're not signed in, do you want to sign in", so I'd sign into my profile (again) and then a message would say I am not connected to xbox live giving me the binary "yes" or "no" to diagnose the problem. If I chose yes, it would completely kick me out of the game and go to the system test. If I chose "no" it would bring me back to the main menu. So I unplugged the Kinect and tried several more times with the controller. Again, it will let me play a controller game of DL just fine (which I did several times, including a complete run through on easy with the guide off). No achievement. I might just have to wait until it really is June 19 to unlock this one
Wow, that is strange. Did you unplug your Kinect and the ethernet cord with the console off then power it on, sign in your profile offline, change your date then start the game using a controller? Or did you unplug the Kinect and didn't reset your console? Depending on what you did, that might be messing it up. And did you change the date with the Kinect or controller (I don't have a Kinect so I don't know if that's even possible)? I'm just trying to pinpoint what may have gone wrong.

Sucks that you have to be online to use the Kinect.

But you're right, June 19th isn't that far off. If you can't get it to unlock now, don't forget on the actual date! Set reminders!

I'll change the guide to say that if you want to play using Kinect, you must be online and doing the offline date change won't work.
bLaKgRaVy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #63
ptc

Monhegan's Gamercard
Quote:
I'll change the guide to say that if you want to play using Kinect, you must be online and doing the offline date change won't work.
Hopefully, someone else with Kinect can verify. My system just seems to be wacky these days...

FYI Kinect adds very little to the Dragon's Lair experience so you shouldn't feel like you're missing anything. Gesture recognition doesn't work too well. Also, have you noticed that the sound in this XBLA version is a little off? Maybe it's just my TV speakers, but the sound is not as rich as I remember from the arcade days...
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #64
HamKet

Ham Salad's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Micro Guide - Silver   Submit - Gold   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Have you tried just disconnecting the ethernet cable while the console is on, and then changing the date? That's what I do whenever I want to change the system date, which I last did for Arkham City's Calendar man achievement back on Halloween.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #65
xvx Foot xvx

xvx Foot xvx's Gamercard
Ok, did my last "Lair King" run thru yesterday. Easy/Arcade/No Overlay/Move guide selected. Was mindful of when I saved (always at the beginning of the scene after the points stopped moving), and watched for the falling platform scene carefully. Got the extra "sword" on the snake scene, completed the going through all the lives at the Dragon, and achievement popped last time.

Quote:
Hopefully, someone else with Kinect can verify. My system just seems to be wacky these days...

FYI Kinect adds very little to the Dragon's Lair experience so you shouldn't feel like you're missing anything. Gesture recognition doesn't work too well. Also, have you noticed that the sound in this XBLA version is a little off? Maybe it's just my TV speakers, but the sound is not as rich as I remember from the arcade days...
I have Kinect and ran into the same problem. The game sometimes will push me using the kinect (I have to go and select controller mode using the kinect), and sometimes I have control with the controller right away. I ran into the same problem first time I went for "Date with Daphne", but tried it again yesterday, selected controller mode, and it popped. I guess if it keeps not letting you log in you can just unplug the Kinect as has already been suggested.

-foot
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #66
ptc

Monhegan's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamKet View Post
Have you tried just disconnecting the ethernet cable while the console is on, and then changing the date? That's what I do whenever I want to change the system date, which I last did for Arkham City's Calendar man achievement back on Halloween.
Yes, tried that, no luck
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #67
HamKet

Ham Salad's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Micro Guide - Silver   Submit - Gold   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver
Quote:
Yes, tried that, no luck
I see you got it. What ended up working for you?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #68
Mr Yac

Mr Yac's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
great guide, how in the world anybody figured out the dying 4 times at singe thing is beyond me, never would've worked that out on my own

Quote:
I have a question. To unlock "Quest Complete" (complete the game in Hard mode), does anyone know if that has to be done with just the 5 lives or can you continue if you run out? The way I read it, as long as you complete the game on Hard, no matter how, you should unlock the achievement.
i tried this out and you CAN continue and still get Quest Complete
Mr Yac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #69
DakotaThrice

DakotaThrice's Gamercard
Mr Yac don't forget that the game has been around since '83, we didn't need to work it out, we already knew.

Just had another person confirm that using the overlay fixes lair king.

There are also kissable points for moving early in the rope scenes but I haven't checked the numbers yet.

Has anyone else confirmed that kinect users must be online.

How exactly does the supposed coop work, is it kinect only and can achievements be unlocked by both players, just player 1 plot just the player moving at the time
Old 05-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #70
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Guide Team   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   Green Thumb - Silver   Micro Guide - Gold   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Minty   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze
Quote:
I have a question. To unlock "Quest Complete" (complete the game in Hard mode), does anyone know if that has to be done with just the 5 lives or can you continue if you run out? The way I read it, as long as you complete the game on Hard, no matter how, you should unlock the achievement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yac View Post
i tried this out and you CAN continue and still get Quest Complete
Nice! Thanks for the verification. If it works for this achievement, I'm sure it'll also work for "1983 Mode" and "Save Me!". I'll add it to the guide.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #71
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Yes, tried that, no luck
Quote:
I just checked his activity on xbox.com. ptc hasn't unlocked it yet...
Old 05-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #72
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaThrice View Post
Mr Yac don't forget that the game has been around since '83, we didn't need to work it out, we already knew.

Just had another person confirm that using the overlay fixes lair king.

There are also kissable points for moving early in the rope scenes but I haven't checked the numbers yet.

Has anyone else confirmed that kinect users must be online.

How exactly does the supposed coop work, is it kinect only and can achievements be unlocked by both players, just player 1 plot just the player moving at the time
I've played the game with and without the overlay on, move guide on and off, and when I reached the dragon's lair both times, I had 288,543. I think you just have to be very careful and save at the beginning of each scene after the 49 points for starting the scene have been awarded. I've played through the game like 6-7 times now to test various things with different settings and difficulties and I've always had 288,543 at the beginning of the lair when playing on Easy/Arcade (with the exception of when I tested the Snake / Mist Room).

Still don't know what 49 point scene is missing when you play in Home mode (as it doesn't really matter since you have to play on Arcade mode to get the perfect score). Maybe I'm not looking hard enough? I guess I'll do another run through and calculate each scene based on my points to see where it is when I have a chance.

Kissable? Are you talking about the three ropes that are on fire where you swing across? How early could you possibly move? I don't see how you can move early or late in this scene; the window of opportunity to make a move is very slim, and the mirror/reverse scene awards less points than the other one. I will test this out tonight and report back.

I would assume co-op is Kinect only, because I don't see an option in any of the menus to play co-op. I don't have a Kinect so I can't verify. Maybe another set of options becomes available if you use Kinect? Either way, I won't be adding anything co-op related to the guide (maybe a mention in the roadmap) because it's not achievement related.

Last edited by bLaKgRaVy; 05-25-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #73
ptc

Monhegan's Gamercard
Quote:
You must be mistaken, I haven't got it yet.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #74
HamKet

Ham Salad's Gamercard

Quote:
You must be mistaken, I haven't got it yet.
Yes, I am clearly mistaken. I must have clicked on someone else's profile.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #75
HamKet

Ham Salad's Gamercard

Quote:
Kissable? Are you talking about the three ropes that are on fire where you swing across? How early could you possibly move? I don't see how you can move early or late in this scene; the window of opportunity to make a move is very slim, and the mirror/reverse scene awards less points than the other one. I will test this out tonight and report back.
You can grab the first rope whenever it gets near you, but before the scene changes to the platform pulling away from under Dirk.

It's how I did the scenes in my first playthrough. Maybe that's how I missed those points and ended up short.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #76
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
You can grab the first rope whenever it gets near you, but before the scene changes to the platform pulling away from under Dirk.

It's how I did the scenes in my first playthrough. Maybe that's how I missed those points and ended up short.
Ohhh right. You miss out on points if the ledge starts to disappear? Did not know that. Do you miss out on the 49 points for starting the scene or the points awarded for the first move, because those points are 251 for the correct-facing scene and 379 for the mirrored scene?

Again, I'll test it out tonight and report my findings (and change "Lair King" in the guide once again...).

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Last edited by bLaKgRaVy; 05-25-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #77
HamKet

Ham Salad's Gamercard

Quote:
Ohhh right. You miss out on points if the ledge starts to disappear? Did not know that. Do you miss out on the 49 points for starting the scene or the points awarded for the first move, because those points are 251 for the correct-facing scene and 379 for the mirrored scene?

Again, I'll test it out tonight and report my findings (and change "Lair King" in the guide once again...).

Thanks to everyone for all your help.
Well, I don't know for sure if those points are missable. I just know that you can grab the first rope early, because I did just that in my first playthrough, on both versions of the scene.

When the scene starts, the closest rope swings close to you two or three times before the scene cuts away to the platform moving. You can grab the rope any time before the scene switches to the platform.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #78
L0cke89

Send a message via ICQ to L0cke89

L0cke89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
A few people on TA mentoined that they needed the move guide to be turned off. They always had that 285xxx number and got it when turning the move guide off. But it seems it only disables the achievement for some users.

So I would just try once in every setting to be sure ;P
Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #79
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0cke89 View Post
A few people on TA mentoined that they needed the move guide to be turned off. They always had that 285xxx number and got it when turning the move guide off. But it seems it only disables the achievement for some users.

So I would just try once in every setting to be sure ;P
I have, that's the thing. I've played:
  • Easy/Arcade/Overlay/Move Guide On
  • Easy/Arcade/Overlay/Move Guide Off
  • Easy/Arcade/Full Screen/Move Guide On
  • Easy/Arcade/Full Screen/Move Guide Off (I got "Lair King" on this run)
I've come up with 288,543 every time. As far as I know, those are the only combinations to get "Lair King". Playing on Hard and/or in Home mode won't unlock it. And since I don't have a Kinect, all these playthroughs were with a controller.

Now, I haven't played with the Move Beeps Off at all, just On, but I really don't think that playing with the beeps on or off would make a difference in scoring, much like playing in full screen/overlay or have the move guide on/off would make a difference. Those are just visual aides and really should have no bearing on the scoring in the game.

I'm sorry, but it's got to be user error. That really is the only explanation for the missing 3,255 points, unless it's skipping that entire scene for some people.

3,255 points are awarded:
  • Lizard King - When Dirk finally stops running and goes to grab his sword, you can press either Up or Sword. It awards the same amount of points for either action, so that's not it because it's a necessary move.
  • Cauldron / Wizard's Chamber - When Dirk examines the bottles on the table, you have to press Sword then Down. Both moves award you with 3,255 points each, but again, both are necessary.
  • Giddy Goons - Pressing Up (on Easy) or Sword on the stairs awards you with 3,255 points. Necessary move.
  • Pool of Water / Crumbing Room - You have to press Left to exit the pool of water, which adds 3,255 points. Necessary move. Same points are awarded in the mirror version of this scene when you press Up to jump into the pool.
  • Electrified Throne Room - Pressing Up or Right as the second move (before Dirk jumps in the chair) awards 3,255 points. Necessary move.
  • Dragon's Lair - Pressing Right to jump behind the red pillar awards 3,255 points. Necessary move.
According to the scoring chart, if you jump off at any of the 9 platforms you are awarded 3,255 points (but you don't get the bonus points for waiting). Likewise, for the 3-ledge platform scene; jump off at any ledge you get the points. Maybe the scoring chart is wrong in that aspect, since it was written from the original arcade cabinet. Now, I've verified that the scoring chart is correct on all points if you are going for a perfect run (by saving and calculating at the beginning of each scene), but I've never jumped off at any ledge other than the 3rd or 9th. Maybe I'll try doing that and see what I come up with, but it still doesn't explain the fact that people are claiming to jump off at the correct ledges and are still short points. I'll report back.

Last edited by bLaKgRaVy; 05-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #80
HamKet

Ham Salad's Gamercard

Well, I specifically turned the move guide ON for the run that ended with me getting "Lair King."

It has to be user error, though I swear I did everything right when I got the wrong score. Go figure.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #81
DakotaThrice

DakotaThrice's Gamercard
The missing points on hard are part of tthe underground river scene. I think it's the first whirlpool that's missing.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #82
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
The missing points on hard are part of tthe underground river scene. I think it's the first whirlpool that's missing.
Yeah, I know that. What we don't know (at least I don't) is why playing in Home mode deducts 49 points from your score. The forum on PS3T.org states that it's for the starting bonus for the first scene, but the first scene in Home mode is the Drawbridge, and that doesn't award any points. We know that because it isn't a necessary scene in Arcade mode (since it's not there).

Looks like another thing to check out...
Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #83
ptc

Monhegan's Gamercard
Quote:
I just checked his activity on xbox.com. ptc hasn't unlocked it yet...
OK - finally unlocked it! I'm west coast, been trying to unlock for the past couple nights (after 9pm). Thought timezones might be somehow screwing me up, so I decided to set the date to 6/18. Lo and behold, it unlocked! So, don't try and unlock later in the evening pacific time. If you do, set the clock to 6/18
Old 05-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #84
Jump Joker

Jump Joker's Gamercard
I had the same problem with the Date with Daphne achievement. I too was playing late night pacific time. It may be as PTC suggests with the time zones because it popped when I rolled the date back to the 18th. However, I was also playing in "home" mode originally. After I rolled it back to the 18th, I also changed modes to "arcade". It popped the moment I started the game. So it's got to be one of these two.
Jump Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #85
DakotaThrice

DakotaThrice's Gamercard
Quote:
Yeah, I know that. What we don't know (at least I don't) is why playing in Home mode deducts 49 points from your score. The forum on PS3T.org states that it's for the starting bonus for the first scene, but the first scene in Home mode is the Drawbridge, and that doesn't award any points. We know that because it isn't a necessary scene in Arcade mode (since it's not there).

Looks like another thing to check out...
Home doesn't give you the 49 point scene start bonus upon entering the lair. I don't think the overlay is the problem but it does seem to be a fairly consistent fix. I'd agree with user error if we could work out a series of moves that amounted to 3255 points but as there doesn't seem to be any I'm personally putting it down to it just being buggy, especially as different setups seem to be working for different people.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #86
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
OK - finally unlocked it! I'm west coast, been trying to unlock for the past couple nights (after 9pm). Thought timezones might be somehow screwing me up, so I decided to set the date to 6/18. Lo and behold, it unlocked! So, don't try and unlock later in the evening pacific time. If you do, set the clock to 6/18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump Joker View Post
I had the same problem with the Date with Daphne achievement. I too was playing late night pacific time. It may be as PTC suggests with the time zones because it popped when I rolled the date back to the 18th. However, I was also playing in "home" mode originally. After I rolled it back to the 18th, I also changed modes to "arcade". It popped the moment I started the game. So it's got to be one of these two.
Glad you guys found out the problem and unlocked it! Certainly a lot more trouble than it was worth.

I mentioned it in the guide that based on different time zones around the world, you may have to set the date to another than 6/19 (6/17, 6/18, 6/21 or 6/22) just to cover all the bases. Thanks for finding this out!

Last edited by bLaKgRaVy; 05-27-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #87
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Home doesn't give you the 49 point scene start bonus upon entering the lair. I don't think the overlay is the problem but it does seem to be a fairly consistent fix. I'd agree with user error if we could work out a series of moves that amounted to 3255 points but as there doesn't seem to be any I'm personally putting it down to it just being buggy, especially as different setups seem to be working for different people.
If you play on Arcade, you don't get the Drawbridge scene, so no points. If you play on Home, you get the Drawbridge scene and no points. Either way, you don't get any points for it, which makes sense.

I just played about 6 or 7 different Home mode games (both difficulties) and the first "point-awarding" scene was the Crumbling Vestibule every single time. It did not award me with 49 points for starting that scene (ended up with 502 whereas the scoring guide says 551), so that's it, the first "point-awarding" scene, not the Drawbridge scene. I'm sorry if I misunderstood when you said "upon entering the lair" which I took as the Drawbridge scene. It wasn't clear to me until now. Now I understand.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #88
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Well, I don't know for sure if those points are missable. I just know that you can grab the first rope early, because I did just that in my first playthrough, on both versions of the scene.

When the scene starts, the closest rope swings close to you two or three times before the scene cuts away to the platform moving. You can grab the rope any time before the scene switches to the platform.
I tested it out and those points are not missable at all. Whether I waited until the ledge started to disappear or if I grabbed the rope right away, I was awarded the same amount of points. I did this in a Home mode game (so the scene would repeat if I died) and did both the regular and mirrored scenes. Should I test it in an Arcade mode game, or are we satisfied with the results?

Glad we cleared that up.

So really, the only missable points as of right now are the 49 points for the third Sword action in the Snake Room. Now, off to test the falling platforms...
Old 05-27-2012, 04:33 AM   #89
bLaKgRaVy
Guide Team

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Ok, I do think that the missing 3,255 points is user error, and here's why:

The scoring guide says:
3-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given at any of the three stops."
9-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given for any one successful move at ANY of the nine stops."

This is false, plain and simple. The rest of the scoring guide is dead on balls accurate, but here it isn't. Again, this was written from the original arcade cabinet scoring method, not any of the 66 iterations after that.

I just tested both the 3- and 9-ledge scenes, and you are NOT awarded 3,255 points for jumping off at any ledge other than the 3rd or 9th. If you jump off at the 1st or 2nd of the 3-ledge platform or jump off at the 1st through 8th ledge of the 9-ledge platform, you get ZERO points. You do, however, get the bonus points on the 9-ledge platform for waiting until you reach the third set of ledges (the points are different in the regular and mirrored scenes), but only jumping off at the last possible ledge awards you 3,255 points.

Make no mistake, I'm not calling anyone a liar when they say they jump off at the correct platform, but people are miscounting; that's got to be it. Why do some people get it and others don't? If the game was glitched, it would glitch for every single copy, not a select few people. I'm sorry, but it has to be because of user error. There is no other explanation.

I can't stress enough that you save every time you reach this scene. For good measure, pause the game and write down the points you have when Dirk jumps on the platform (the 49 points for starting the scene have already been added), and let the platform fall. If you are still alive when the 4th ledge appears, then count correctly and jump off at the 9th ledge. If you crash, reload and jump off at the 3rd. Then, when the next scene starts and you see the 49 points added, pause it again and write that number down. Then subtract the lower number from the higher one. Depending on if it was the 3- or 9-ledge scene, you should get:

3,304 points for either 3-ledge scene (regular or mirrored)
5,292 points for the regular 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his left hip)
5,619 points for the mirrored 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his right hip)

This is the only (and simplest) way to check if you've been having trouble with "Lair King".
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #90
DakotaThrice

DakotaThrice's Gamercard
When I said entering the lair I meant the final scene (dragon's lair).