PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Battlefield 3 > Back to Karkand
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
Sickside85

S1CKNATUR3's Gamercard
Do mortars drop confetti ?

Hey guys, I'm trying to get 2 mortar kills for one of the B2K assignments, I've never used the mortar before, only heard it was good before the patch, my problem is.. I cant get 2 kills with this damn this, I've dropped it on a ridge that i know 4 snipers are sitting, no kills, no assists or nothing! I've dropped it on objectives while attacking, nothing!, I got assist points once or twice but none of the other times

help please!
Sickside85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
H0p3sfalL
Ch Ch Ch Cherry Bomb!

ATT4Ck XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   Subscriber - Silver   x360a Representer   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
I want to say keep trying at it. Also a tip would be wait till people are spotted to drop the shell on them and try drop right on top of them. Maybe YouTube has some video tips.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Sickside85

S1CKNATUR3's Gamercard
That's the problem, every time i've dropped it, it's been on spotted people, in big bunches, and not a sniff maybe they were in buildings.. but I've definitely dropped it on people out in the open and nada

i'll keep trying
Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Grey Delta

Grey Delta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Try Hardcore Rush spamming the crates

Grey Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
spotted tanks on hardcore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
In that case, people will have to download more RAM for it. Consoles have come a long way since they first appeared, so this is very possible.
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Rapturous Rich

Rapturous Rich's Gamercard

It'd be awesome if they did! You could rain it down right before the end of a game you're about to win!

Serious answer: with not being able to deploy it in spawn now and the stupidly small splash damage it does I've just about given up on using the Mortar now. The thing should have a bigger guaranteed "kill zone" since it's so useless at present.
Try hardcore if you must, it could be easier.
Think I'm going to forever be one medal short of the entire collection once I get my laser desig. one done because I cannot be arsed sitting through another 185 mortar kills.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
wilko383

wilko383's Gamercard
It's a shame that it was nerfed. I rarely used it but never felt that it was too powerful.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Skillet

Send a message via MSN to Skillet

Skillet x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Staff Club - Skillet   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   SOTF Runner Up   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Counter mortars, counter mortars, counter mortars.

Almost everybody sets up mortars on Operation Metro Rush these days. When you see somebody on the other team firing off mortars from the other side of the map, drop one right on him. You're pretty well guaranteed to kill him unless he's sitting under some kind of cover. And they even seemed to have fixed it so you can't deploy mortars if your body isn't exposed. And most people are too stupid to move after dropping a few. So if they kill you, you can usually score an easy revenge kill on them when you respawn.

I don't use mortars for anything else... just teaching mortar spammers a lesson in ordnance efficiency.

Read them.... apply them.

Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
bapae

Shaftamus Prime's Gamercard

Do it on hardcore. And it was hard to get kills with even before the patch really all they changed was that you can no longer camp in your spawn with it.

bapae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
R0Y4LEwitCHEESE

R0Y4LEwitCHEESE's Gamercard
I managed a fluke occurrence to get this. I hit a series of anti tank mines that three members of the opposing team were stood on, along with a tank they had just captured from our team and were trying to repair. Anyway the three guys, the tank, and about 4 AT mines all went up at once and filled the screen with text and numbers.

Heres some practical advice: go into an empty rented server with a friend and have him stand on the spot until you kill him. Twice.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
CGPsaint

CGPsaint's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post

Almost everybody sets up mortars on Operation Metro Rush these days. When you see somebody on the other team firing off mortars from the other side of the map, drop one right on him. You're pretty well guaranteed to kill him unless he's sitting under some kind of cover. And they even seemed to have fixed it so you can't deploy mortars if your body isn't exposed. And most people are too stupid to move after dropping a few. So if they kill you, you can usually score an easy revenge kill on them when you respawn.

I don't use mortars for anything else... just teaching mortar spammers a lesson in ordnance efficiency.
This, this, this! I racked up 111 kills whilst playing TDM using the silly Mortar, and a fair number of those kills have been Counter-Mortar kills. You're pretty much only guaranteed a kill if you actually hit the person, and generally the only people sitting still are people noobing it up with a Mortar.

CGPsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Sickside85

S1CKNATUR3's Gamercard
Got it done earlier on Rush attacking Noshahr Canals

Old 05-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post

All you need to know. Pinpoint, fire, displace. Enjoy your 120 points for the kill and equipment demolition.

EDIT: I'm almost missing the MAV-riding dickbags. It was a favourite action of mine to personally make their lives miserable. Either by counter-sniping them or dropping shitloads of high explosive mortar shells on their heads. Failing that, smoke, let them try to be all Xx3lytesnyperzxX from a buggering rooftop when they can't fucking see.

"Hit it"

Last edited by Opiate42; 05-25-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
Rapturous Rich

Rapturous Rich's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate42 View Post
All you need to know. Pinpoint, fire, displace. Enjoy your 120 points for the kill and equipment demolition.

EDIT: I'm almost missing the MAV-riding dickbags. It was a favourite action of mine to personally make their lives miserable. Either by counter-sniping them or dropping shitloads of high explosive mortar shells on their heads. Failing that, smoke, let them try to be all Xx3lytesnyperzxX from a buggering rooftop when they can't fucking see.
I used to troll my friends with M320 smoke all the time... heheheheh.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
CGPsaint

CGPsaint's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
I'm almost missing the MAV-riding dickbags. It was a favourite action of mine to personally make their lives miserable. Either by counter-sniping them or dropping shitloads of high explosive mortar shells on their heads. Failing that, smoke, let them try to be all Xx3lytesnyperzxX from a buggering rooftop when they can't fucking see.
I simply switched to Recon and then went and killed them with my own MAV. I'm not sure how many kills I have with it, but they were all from killing MAV-riding dickbags as you have so eloquently labeled them!

CGPsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #16
mark197205

mark197205's Gamercard
Quote:
This, though I would say wait for the round to hit before moving on as if you move before it does and you get a kill, it doesnt get attributed to the mortar, I've "lost" 3 or 4 mortar kills by moving before the round lands.

Games at 100% = 9 (8 retail, 1 XBLA)
Games being worked on = A few..
mark197205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark197205 View Post
This, though I would say wait for the round to hit before moving on as if you move before it does and you get a kill, it doesnt get attributed to the mortar, I've "lost" 3 or 4 mortar kills by moving before the round lands.
Ah bugger, I always forget about that.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote