PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Max Payne 3
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #31
chach7171
 
chach7171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 482

Muttnchopmaniac's Gamercard
There's really two sides to this argument, because if you skip the cutscenes on your first run just because you think they're stupid. Then you've eliminated alot of what R* tried to do here, and essentially wasted your money. They said from the outset it's a "cinematic action game", So if you didn't expect something like this your screwed. I've seen alot of people say they skipped the scenes first run, which is well...pointless you shouldn't have bought the game.
But I do totally agree that on the 5th run viewing these same cutscenes over and over can be very grating, that being said achievements are supposed to be a pain in the ass. Plus this is just another way to keep you playing while more dlc gets pumped out for you to buy. That being said there's no game that takes as long as some of these cutscenes are to render and build.
chach7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #32
ChickinOnaChain
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,331

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I'm FINALLY getting this game today! Now I can see what the big hoop-la is about these infamous cutscenes. I just hope they have one in stock!
__________________

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #33
Gageamatron
 
Gageamatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West
Posts: 433

gageamatron's Gamercard
This game is bad because the achievements aren't handed to you on a silver platter?

grow up.
__________________

Gageamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #34
ll X ll
 
ll X ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 456
You know gaming is fucked up when it gets judged by it's achievements. I wish some big companies take a risk and release games WITHOUT achievements. I'd like to see what most people would do, lol.
__________________
ll X ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #35
pined5551
 
pined5551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,139

Traveller Nick's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll X ll View Post
You know gaming is fucked up when it gets judged by it's achievements. I wish some big companies take a risk and release games WITHOUT achievements. I'd like to see what most people would do, lol.
I'm not sure they are allowed to do that, are they? They could just make it a stupidly easy game. Essentially finish it on normal and 1000G. Problem solved.

Personally I am glad to have a list to work on that is a challenge. Too often, especially over the last 3 years, big games have very straightforward lists! When everyone is able to max a game, what is so special about it... nothing! I for one will tip my hat to anyone who finishes Max Payne 3, and I think that is how it should be.
pined5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #36
ll X ll
 
ll X ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by pined5551 View Post
I'm not sure they are allowed to do that, are they? They could just make it a stupidly easy game. Essentially finish it on normal and 1000G. Problem solved.

Personally I am glad to have a list to work on that is a challenge. Too often, especially over the last 3 years, big games have very straightforward lists! When everyone is able to max a game, what is so special about it... nothing! I for one will tip my hat to anyone who finishes Max Payne 3, and I think that is how it should be.
I would just like to see as an experiment lets say a big game like Halo 4. Releases without any achievement, just the game itself. Publishers know there is a market for achievements so that's why they put it in even if the game doesn't need achievements (Silent hill HD collection for example)

I would just love to see how many people actually buy the game for itself like the old days and actually play it, enjoy it like REAL gamer's do and create their own personal achievements instead being assigned to do one.
__________________
ll X ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #37
chach7171
 
chach7171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 482

Muttnchopmaniac's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pined5551 View Post
I'm not sure they are allowed to do that, are they? They could just make it a stupidly easy game. Essentially finish it on normal and 1000G. Problem solved.

Personally I am glad to have a list to work on that is a challenge. Too often, especially over the last 3 years, big games have very straightforward lists! When everyone is able to max a game, what is so special about it... nothing! I for one will tip my hat to anyone who finishes Max Payne 3, and I think that is how it should be.
I agree, while I haven't completed a ton of games because I'm not that huge of a completionist, I do like to reflect on games that took alot of work seriously 2.0 or just were damn hard Dead space's complete with only the plasma gun! I think alot of people also hate on this game because it's for one a R* game and not GTA and it's Max Payne but not as we've typically seen him. The same as Castlevania lords of shadow got hated on, which IMO was an amazing game but people whined it wasn't really castlevania. Just because it differed from it's ancestral norms.
chach7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #38
pined5551
 
pined5551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,139

Traveller Nick's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll X ll View Post
I would just like to see as an experiment lets say a big game like Halo 4. Releases without any achievement, just the game itself. Publishers know there is a market for achievements so that's why they put it in even if the game doesn't need achievements (Silent hill HD collection for example)

I would just love to see how many people actually buy the game for itself like the old days and actually play it, enjoy it like REAL gamer's do and create their own personal achievements instead being assigned to do one.
It's an interesting idea. Halo 4 certainly wouldn't have any trouble selling. But games like Hannah Montana etc I think must own a significant amount of their sales revenue to the Microsoft achievement system. Those games a grabbed up by whores as if they are the latest big year release! haha.
pined5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #39
LostNoAnswer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austrilia
Posts: 117

LostNoAnswer's Gamercard
just check Chapter 3,it will take you about 20mins to complete,but almost half of them are so-called"loading".

its not about waiting for 5MINS,the story is fantastic for sure,but i have to watch them 5 times if i want to get all the difficult achievements.
__________________

Last edited by LostNoAnswer; 05-22-2012 at 04:36 AM.
LostNoAnswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #40
IrishGorilla47
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 35

IrishGorilla47's Gamercard
I have not found any cutscenes that are unbearable. Now that I think of it, the only game that I could not stand due to cutscenes was Metal Gear Solid 4.
IrishGorilla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #41
DEG23
Listening to 1989
 
DEG23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,823

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
I take it from this statement that the cutscenes bother you a great deal, so to you and everyone else complaining, why don't you simply return the game. Although you may believe it from your original post, no one is forcing you to play through this game.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Stomper View Post
I refuse to use Spotify because they have no Taylor Swift albums.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #42
ChickinOnaChain
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,331

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I got this yesterday and while the "cutscenes" and long and many, it adds to the game for me, so not a big problem there.

What I do wonder is, does he ever sober up? The double and blurred vision and unstable camera shots to make you see what he sees because he's shit faced, is more of annoying than the cutscenes.
__________________

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #43
eiVaL
 
eiVaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 913

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageamatron View Post
This game is bad because the achievements aren't handed to you on a silver platter?

grow up.
where do you see anything pertaining to achievements from the quote?

if you actually clicked the link you quoted and responded to, you would see theres 15 full action/adventure console games im referring to, and only 4 of those had achievements.

nice job.

Last edited by eiVaL; 05-22-2012 at 05:32 PM.
eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #44
Masta Mylez
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 241

milezdawg's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageamatron View Post
This game is bad because the achievements aren't handed to you on a silver platter?

grow up.
I agree also. I was reading through this guys comments and many others and it boils down to achievements junkies not getting there fix when they finish every level or get a headshot.
Don't like the game, go play something else but you won't because your obsessed with completion percentage
Masta Mylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #45
eiVaL
 
eiVaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 913

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Mylez View Post
I agree also. I was reading through this guys comments and many others and it boils down to achievements junkies not getting there fix when they finish every level or get a headshot.
Don't like the game, go play something else but you won't because your obsessed with completion percentage
where do you see anything pertaining to achievments in any of my posts?

nice job, yet again....after i already addressed the very same quote above you
eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #46
Gageamatron
 
Gageamatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West
Posts: 433

gageamatron's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiVaL View Post
where do you see anything pertaining to achievements from the quote?

if you actually clicked the link you quoted and responded to, you would see theres 15 full action/adventure console games im referring to, and only 4 of those had achievements.

nice job.
I'm worried for you...
Your entire post above was about how hard it is for you to find collectibles because you actually have to watch a whole video. Judging by your gamerscore you don't get collectibles for fun so it's fairly obvious you want them for the achievements.

Then you say it's the worst rockstar game, etc. etc.
__________________

Gageamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #47
MilezDawg
 
MilezDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 63

MilezDawg's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageamatron View Post
I'm worried for you...
Your entire post above was about how hard it is for you to find collectibles because you actually have to watch a whole video. Judging by your gamerscore you don't get collectibles for fun so it's fairly obvious you want them for the achievements.

Then you say it's the worst rockstar game, etc. etc.
He's another achievement junkie who refuses to admit that he likes games that are an easy completion. He's gotta make sure everygame on his gamercard says %100 or his virtual friends will look down on him.
MilezDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #48
BSH 1975
 
BSH 1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,296

BSH 1975's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGorilla47 View Post
It doesn't bother me.
me neither, but when you're on the 3th playthrough....it will bother me
__________________


BSH 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #49
FSparacino4
 
FSparacino4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,751

im boomheadshot's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Woah, woah, woah. Let's rewind for just a moment here. eiVaL, do you actual believe the shit that you are trying to pass off as fact here??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiVaL View Post
theres 14 chapters and a mode called New York Minute which has bronze time trials of under 1 minute for most levels, the longest is only 2 minutes and thats still bronze, which means it can easily be beaten much shorter amount of time.
You are given one minute to complete a Chapter, but here is the kicker: KILLS ADD TO YOUR OVERALL TIME. Someone in another thread posted that it took them 4 HOURS OF GAMETIME (not including cutscenes) to beat the game on NYM. That kind of blows your theory out of the water now doesn't it? So I'm going to say you are either a troll, and a poor one at that, or you haven't even played NYM.
__________________
XB1 Retail 100%:
XB1 Arcade 100%:
Most Recent 100%:
FSparacino4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #50
AgentOrange330
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 318

AgentOrange330's Gamercard
Lets get back to the fact that this thread was about watching cutscenes and not a swinging dick fight over achievement whoring. Half of this post has been bickering about crap that has nothing to do with the thread...
__________________
Well I get up in the morning and I get my brief. I go out and stare at the world in complete disbelief. It's not righteous indignation that makes me complain. It's the fact that I always have to explain. - Van Morrison
AgentOrange330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #51
eiVaL
 
eiVaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 913

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilezDawg View Post
He's another achievement junkie who refuses to admit that he likes games that are an easy completion. He's gotta make sure everygame on his gamercard says %100 or his virtual friends will look down on him.
its nice to see you actually looked at my game history cause clearly i give a crap about completion percentage

ps. nice job part 3
eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #52
MilezDawg
 
MilezDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 63

MilezDawg's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiVaL View Post
its nice to see you actually looked at my game history cause clearly i give a crap about completion percentage

ps. nice job part 3
What makes you think I looked at your gamercard. It must be a guilty conscious on your part, you must have done that youself to use against others that's why you think I did it to you.
Like I said, if not being able to skip certain cutscenes bother you that much then quit playing Max Payne 3.
And I can tell your totally out to bash MP3 because if you have played all of R* games since 2002 you would know that R* Presents Table Tennis wasn't very fun and tedious. And what about State of Emergency for the PS2 because IMO and many others feel that was their worst game to date. Clearly you dislike the game because all of the achievements take many play throughs, serious grinding, and devotion to the multiplayer witch I'm willing to bet you think sucks too. But I bet you enjoyed your time with L.A. Noire because if you played that then you would know it's very simple to 1,000 the game and the DLC's were easy also.
__________________
Member since 2008, GTAIV was the first game that brought me to this site. FormerllyMaster Miles. First console ever, NES 8/26/89. Gamming since I was 4 years of age.
I don't play games for achievements nor do I rate games based on an achievement list. I play games for fun, it's one of my hobbies. I do however like to %100 the games I enjoy or purchase, achievements or not. I like this site for it's supurb game guides, news and reviews.
GTAV 9/17/13
I Love Grand Theft Auto !!!
MilezDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #53
alf hockeyfan
 
alf hockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: thornaby.England. The earth
Posts: 185

alf hockeyfan's Gamercard
on all story driven game i always watch the cut scenes first time through!
alf hockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #54
FSparacino4
 
FSparacino4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,751

im boomheadshot's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostNoAnswer View Post
just check Chapter 3,it will take you about 20mins to complete,but almost half of them are so-called"loading".

its not about waiting for 5MINS,the story is fantastic for sure,but i have to watch them 5 times if i want to get all the difficult achievements.
Then don't get all of the achievements...
__________________
XB1 Retail 100%:
XB1 Arcade 100%:
Most Recent 100%:
FSparacino4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #55
LostNoAnswer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austrilia
Posts: 117

LostNoAnswer's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSparacino4 View Post
Then don't get all of the achievements...
but i did,i just telling what i felt,is that wrong?
__________________
LostNoAnswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #56
FSparacino4
 
FSparacino4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,751

im boomheadshot's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
nothing wrong with that, but more often than not people often bitch about something minor, i.e. having to watch cutscenes for five playthroughs, when no one is in fact forcing you to do five playthroughs for the achievements. Achievements are great. I like going for them myself, but I'm not going to play a game that I hate immensely just to get 1,000 in it.
__________________
XB1 Retail 100%:
XB1 Arcade 100%:
Most Recent 100%:
FSparacino4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #57
eiVaL
 
eiVaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 913

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilezDawg View Post
And I can tell your totally out to bash MP3 because if you have played all of R* games since 2002 you would know that R* Presents Table Tennis wasn't very fun and tedious. And what about State of Emergency for the PS2 because IMO and many others feel that was their worst game to date.


nice job part 4

Last edited by eiVaL; 07-10-2012 at 10:30 PM.
eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #58
eiVaL
 
eiVaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 913

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSparacino4 View Post
Someone in another thread posted that it took them 4 HOURS OF GAMETIME (not including cutscenes) to beat the game on NYM.
so taking this guys word and the guy who said that it takes 4 hours of actual gametime to beat the entire game.

and this bit of evidence i just came across, which shows almost 3 and half hours of cutscenes, finally confirms that this "GAME"...lol has almost a 1:1 ratio of time spent with GAMEPLAY compared to watching f'ning cutscenes which cant be skipped, combined with the loading screens thus settling the case of the initial point.


Last edited by eiVaL; 08-23-2012 at 06:46 AM.
eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #59
Hurricane Of 87
 
Hurricane Of 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London, England
Posts: 829

Hurricane Of 87's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGorilla47 View Post
It doesn't bother me.
Same. The cinematics were excellent and leave other Rockstar titles in the dust. No problem with enjoying anything of a high quality repeatedly.
Hurricane Of 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #60
twotonkoala
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 1,292

milehighkoala's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiVaL View Post
so taking this guys word and the guy who said that it takes 4 hours of actual gametime to beat the entire game.

and this bit of evidence i just came across, which shows almost 3 and half hours of cutscenes, finally confirms that this "GAME"...lol has almost a 1:1 ratio of time spent with GAMEPLAY compared to watching f'ning cutscenes which cant be skipped, combined with the loading screens thus settling the case of the initial point.
1. Some of those cutscenes in there CAN be skipped.
2. A lot of them are cut out for NYM and NYM:HC modes.

On the higher difficulties, trust me, there's far more playtime than watching cut scenes. 4-4.5 hours to beat the game is a speed run. It takes MUCH longer to beat Hard, Hardcore, and Old School.

Get over it.
__________________
twotonkoala is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 AM.