Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Halo 4
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
SYLVESTER SLICE

SYLVESTER SLICE's Gamercard
Halo 4 Multiplayer map packs

I know it's a bit premature because the game hasn't even hit the shelves yet. But in regards to downloadable map packs and people grumbling nostalgia of Halo: Combat evolved, Halo 2 and Halo3 being better than Reach by some. Or others just reminiscing about the great multiplayer maps of past games. Does anyone agree that there should be packs of the halo titles rather than "legendary" or other new map groups?

HALO 3 MAP PACK - construct, guardian, high ground, valhalla, last resort, the pit, sandtrap, snowbound, narrows, rat's nest etc.

...and a Halo 2 map pack, and Combat Evolved map pack.

It seems like such a simple idea and would not only keep the fans happy as well as introduce new halo fans to the great maps from before but would also surely save 343 time and effort of creating new Map packs to release from scratch.

I can't wait to see the new multiplayer maps that come with Halo 4. But i also miss playing in the old stomping grounds.
SYLVESTER SLICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Vectorman953

Zombie Gary Oak's Gamercard
An extremely solid idea, I'd definitely want to see Rat's Nest, Stand Off, Turf, Last Resort, and Lockout return - to pick a few.

That's a lot of content though. Say that each map pack is 3-5 maps. That's 800-1200 Microsoft points every pack. (I mean, I'd pay it) 3600 points / $45 for 5 maps across 3 packs is... a lot to say the least. Add that to the $30 non-limited edition buyers would be paying for Halo 4's original content map packs and... well that's a lot of money
It WOULD be nice to have those packs come out though, since it would extend the life of the multiplayer almost double.

I think it's far more likely that 343 as one map per there 3 planed map packs that is a 'reimagining' of one of the old games maps.

One thing though;
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLVESTER SLICE View Post
...but would also surely save 343 time and effort of creating new Map packs to release from scratch.
Most of the maps would have to be remade from scratch anyway - as the aesthetics have to be completely bumped up, the layout has to be stretched (the ability to constantly sprint could break some of the older game's levels) and molded to fit the new game. Like how Blackout was a little bit different from lockout to accommodate different weapons and abilities. Although you're right in that there wouldn't be a great deal of time spent on level design and testing since they're already got the basic (near-perfect) idea.

Last edited by Vectorman953; 05-30-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: maths
Vectorman953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I would be up for a map pack encompassing each of the games, but going from a realistic standpoint, that probably wouldn't happen. At the very least I would love to see most of the Halo 2 maps make a return. Zanzibar Island, Burial mounds, Gemini, Headlong, Terminal, Relic, Containment, etc... Halo 2 had, without a doubt, the best maps in the series. Looking back I would say the only maps I didn't like in Halo 2 were Lockout and Foundation. Otherwise I thought they were all amazing. I even liked Coagulation better than the original Blood Gulch. Bring back the Halo 2 maps and maybe a couple from Halo 1 like Sidewinder, Boarding Action, and Chiron and I would be a happy person. Nothing in Halo 3 or Reach was really worth writing home about (Valhalla was ok and I liked the Sandbox maps in H3. I would say Forgeworld as well, but it got so repetitive. They really need more locales. Would've been neat if they have had things like UNSC and Covenant Ships and Forerunner structures in the backdrop that players could've built levels inside as well (also, why is it none of the Forge maps in Reach ever used the little boxy room in matchmaking?)
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
inventindascene

inventindascene's Gamercard
terminal....
inventindascene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
Ty-Rex
video games

Tylord824's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   CABS Beta Tester   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post
Looking back I would say the only maps I didn't like in Halo 2 were Lockout and Foundation.
Blasphemy.

They really need to do a Terminal remake, though.

They should also remake Backwash to troll the community.

Ty-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 AM   #6
Vectorman953

Zombie Gary Oak's Gamercard
For some reason I always forget about terminal - and I loved that map. Watching dumb opponents chase you then get squished by the train, or sniping from the parking complex made for the best moments.

Breakneck as headlong in Anniversary is (was?) amazing. Probably me and my friends most played map currently.

Lockout is also a nostalgia-beacon for me, as it was the only map we played towards the end of our halo-2 LAN party days (as now we just do it all over Live... not as fun). Hearing people using the jumper and trying to hold it's tower was always fun. Blackout just didn't have the same feel to it, even if it was virtually the same map.

But if I had to ask for only one map to be remade, I'd ask for Zanzibar/Last Resort. I can't even explain it necessarily, it's just my favorite. Aesthetically. Combat wise.

Vectorman953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Ty-Rex
video games

Tylord824's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   CABS Beta Tester   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Subscriber - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman953 View Post
I can't even explain it necessarily, it's just my favorite.
It's the giant wind turbine. It's so beautiful.

Ty-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Zanzibar was the beginning of everything. It was the original map used to debut and showcase Halo 2's multiplayer. It was used for the majority of code and bug testing during development. It was the home of many secrets and debunked rumored secrets like the hidden cave. It was an asymmetrical map that was perfectly balanced for Objective and Slayer gametypes as well as a beautiful balance of vehicles, close and long range weapons, and interactive environment. Halo 2 literally was Xbox Live at the time, so in a sense that map is the godfather of Xbox Live today.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheuh2 View Post
It's the giant wind turbine. It's so beautiful.
I loved cramming a warthog in there and riding the turbine like a ferris wheel. One of my favorite maps of all time.

I hope we get to see a few snow themed maps in Halo 4, maybe even a Sidewinder remake.

A snow-themed Zanzibar would blow my mind away.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
DarkReign2021
Banned User

It would be cool, but wouldn't make sense since Zanzibar is in Southern Africa. Than again, it's supposed to be a simulation in Infinity's computer, so I guess they can do whatever the hell they want.

BTW, does anybody else not like the name of the ship? Infinity just doesn't fit with the ship naming theme of the UNSC. Pillar of Autumn, Forward Unto Dawn, In Amber Clad, Gettysburg, Savannah, Midnight Summer, Meriwether Lewis, etc... Infinity just feels wrong.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Der Fuhrer

Panzer x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Honestly, I would rather they focus on making new maps than rehashing the same maps we have played hundreds of times in previous games. Halo needs a fresh start after Reach, something to make the franchise full of life again and not just using the same old tricks, and it does not help their cause going forward if 343i just reuses all of Bungie's best maps.
Der Fuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post
BTW, does anybody else not like the name of the ship? Infinity just doesn't fit with the ship naming theme of the UNSC. Pillar of Autumn, Forward Unto Dawn, In Amber Clad, Gettysburg, Savannah, Midnight Summer, Meriwether Lewis, etc... Infinity just feels wrong.
Yeah, the name "Infinity" just seems to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the others you mentioned. Hopefully we'll be able to discover the reasoning behind the name when watching the Forward unto Dawn web series or in some future ViDoc.