PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Exu

EXU's Gamercard
Achievement Speedrun Guide

This isn't a full-blown achievement guide because I can't be arsed to adhere to the conventions of one, and I dare say someone's already got a guide in the works anyway.
But I hope the information is useful in augmenting any guides you do use, however if you've never played these games before I recommend playing them properly first.

If the original Megadrive/Genesis buttons are more familiar to you then I'll be putting those commands after the 360 ones, since these buttons assume you've left them mapped to their defaults. So, without further ado...

= A
= B
= C

Streets of Rage
Preparation: Make sure you have a second controler plugged in, press Start on it to "activate" the second player.
At the main menu, highlight Options.
Now on Controller 2 hold +++ (RIGHT+A+B+C) and press on Controller 1.
You will be able to choose how many lives you start with (3, 5 or 7) and what level you begin the game on. Set the difficulty to Easy and the Lives to 7 then make a savestate here.

Now you've done that, start on Level 1.

Eyes In The Back Of Your Head - The description is a bit misleading here, regular "throwing" won't work. What you need is for an enemy to grab you from behind. Fortunately the very first enemy you face can do just that! He's in blue and is the ancestor to SoR2's Galsia enemies.

Turn your back to him and he might grab you. Press (C) to kick your legs out and then (B) to use the momentum to toss him over your shoulder. Achievement unlocked.
He may decide not to grab you and just keep punching you instead. You'll be facing many more of these mooks during this walkthrough and one WILL grab you at some point.

Cat-Like Reflexes - For this you need to save yourself when thrown by an enemy. Fortunately the very second enemy you face is capable of this. He's in yellow and is the ancestor to SoR2's Signal enemies.
Hang around near him and he should grab you and throw you into the air.
When thrown, HOLD + (UP+C) to land on your feet. Achievement unlocked.
This mook is far more likely to grab you, just get in close and approach from above or below. He'll almost certainly go for the throw.

A Display of Strength - Press (A) to call in the Police Special. You only need to do it once as it's the same for each character.

Declawer (Part I) - Now load up that save we made then beat Souther at the end of Level 2 as Adam. Achievement unlocked.

Beautiful, Yet Deadly - Load up that save again, then beat Onihime and Yasha/Mona and Lisa at the end of level 5 as Blaze. Achievement unlocked.
(I hate these bitches, but if you play clever you can have two Police Specials to burn straight away when you reach them.)

Syndicate Crusher. - Start Round 8 and beat the level. As soon as you defeat Mr. X you can press , the autosave icon should come up to record you beating the game, then exit out.

---

Streets of Rage 2
Preparation: Have that second controller active, then hold down + (A+B) on it and press on pad 1.
You'll now be able to choose the Very Easy and Mania difficulties, your lives can be increased to nine and you can choose your starting level.
Anyway, choose Very Easy and nine lives, then make a savestate.

Declawer (Part II) - Begin Round 3 as Sammy/Skate and beat Zamza at the end of the level. Achievement unlocked.

Heavy-weight Chamption - Begin Round 4 as Max and beat Abadede at the end of the level. Achievement unlocked.

A Display of Strength - Make sure as each character you've used the defensive special with (A), the offensive special with + (Forward+A) and the blitz attack with + (Forward Forward+B).

Syndicate Crusher. - Start Round 8 and beat the level. As soon as you defeat Mr. X you can press , the autosave icon should come up to record you beating the game, then exit out.
If you're playing the Japanese version then Mr. X is smoking a cigar!

---

Bare Knuckle 3
Preparation: Set the game region to Japanese. I cannot stress enough just how much easier this will make the experience, not to mention how much better the game becomes. Ignore "Streets of Rage 3", it's an abomination.

On the title screen, HOLD + (UP+B) as you press (START). This will unlock Victy/Roo on the character select should you want to play as him later.

Now at the main menu, highlight "Battle" then HOLD + (UP+B), which will change the selection to Options, and press . You can now choose your starting round, up to six, but we're not done yet.
Highlight Lives, activate Controller 2 and on that hold +++ (UP+A+B+C), while these buttons are held you will be able to select up to nine lives instead of five.
With Easy difficulty and nine lives selected you can create a savestate.

A Kangaroo's Best Friend - Begin Round 2 as whomever you like. At the end of the first section you will face a midboss, Victy/Roo and his handler Danch/Bruce. Do your best to evade Victy/Roo and chase down Danch/Bruce.
He likes to jump off the screen and he has a very long-range whip attack so be careful, hang on the opposite end of the screen to lure him out then chase him down.
If you defeat Danch/Bruce without killing Victy/Roo then Victy/Roo will run offscreen and the battle is over. Achievement unlocked.

Imposters Need Not Apply - Begin Round 3 as Axel and defeat Break/Axel at the end. Achievement unlocked.

A Hair's Breadth - Begin Round 6 as Zan. You need to complete the stage with the Chief still alive. On BK3 Easy you should be able to do this easily, but here's how to do it the most effectively.
As soon as you waste the robots, head left into the elevator and head down twice. Go right into the room, kill the two mooks and go into the middle door. Clear the room, kill the mooks again after exiting then go up one floor.
Kill the two gunmen and head into the middle door again. This room is a carbon copy of the previous one. Once you clean house, dash right to the Chief. No need to kill the mooks.
You won't get the achievement yet, you have a boss fight with Jet to do first.
Wait for the "good" Stage 7 to begin. Achievement unlocked.

-If you like you can just keep going from here since you're on one of the correct stages for it.-

Syndicate Crusher - Stage 7 isn't selectable from the level select, you can only choose up to Stage 6. Also, there are two different Stage 7s.
To go to Stage 7A you have to save the General/Chief within the time limit, and to go to Stage 7B you have to allow the time limit and his life bar to expire.
If you hang around the third door on the middle floor then there's a respawning apple outside the room and another inside the room that will replenish your life while you wait, the mooks won't respawn once the gas is flowing.

Stage 7A: Defeat Neo X/Robot Y. Don't be alarmed by the 3:00 time limit, even if you fail to destroy him in time it'll still count.
-or-
Stage 7B: Defeat Shiva.

Achievement unlocked, assuming you beat SoR1 and 2 already.

A Display of Strength - Make sure as each character you've used the defensive special with (A), the offensive special with + (Forward+A) and the blitz attack with + (Forward Forward+B).
You do not need to do this with Victy/Roo despite him being on the character select screen from the earlier cheat, as he is a secret character.

Ultimate Power - This achievement requires you to level your + (Forward Forward+B) blitz attack. Every time you score 40,000 points you'll get a little star under your health gauge to indicate a level up, and every time you die you lose a star.
So basically this acheivement is to score 120,000 points without dying, but I have a couple of tricks to make this easier.

Fun Method - Begin the game at level 1 with Sammy/Skate selected and deliberately lose a life with 0 points scored. You can use your special attack on the spot to get yourself down to low health fast and then let one of the first goons finish you off.
When you respawn, Sammy/Skate's standard punch will be replaced with a rapid attack. Couple this with selecting rapid-fire in the button options for maximum effect. Short reach though, so really get in their faces because the attack is devastating, and it racks up points damn quick too.
Be careful, abuse saves if you have to, and you should get your third star by the end of Stage 3 or the start of Stage 4.
(Note: Hidden in the lower left at the beginning of Stage 1 there is a pickup worth 5000 points and a 1up. Theoretically you can get it as soon as Stage 2 depending on ROM and difficulty selection, but yeah, you know. Good luck with that.)

Quick/Boring Method - Change the difficulty to Very Hard and go to Stage 6. Kill the robots and take the lift down once to the middle floor.Once you kill the suits just hang around near the third door, also have a second player jump in if you can.
Wait for the timer to expire and the gas to start flowing. Now enter the room and grab all the cash and both apples. There are more pickups when you have a second player.
As soon as you exit the room you'll be able to re-enter since enemies don't respawn once the timer has expired. Keep doing this until you get three stars. Achievement unlocked!

---

Well, it's a mess but I hope this helps. I might tinker with it and turn it into a proper guide after all, but this guide is for getting all achievements as soon as possible rather than just getting them.

Last edited by Exu; 06-06-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Exu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Evo Kazz
Completionist

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Platinum   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Tyger7   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 28 (more» ...)
Don't worry mate, it might not look like an official guide, but this is pure brilliance, thanks for your work this will help greatly.

Arcade Crazy - 26 - Over Achiever - 54 - XB1 Points - 34
Franchise Clubs - 5x Tier 1, 3x Tier 2, 1x Tier 3
Staff Clubs - 10

Evo Kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
MILINKYO

MILINKYO's Gamercard
Thank you so much for this, will be knocking out my 400g later today
MILINKYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
UberPirateNinja

UberPirateNinja's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
really surprised the achievements are so easy, it's like they're not even trying! still, not complaining, easy points are easy points.

cheers for the pointers
UberPirateNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Craphex

Craphex's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Great tips dude!
Only issue I'm having is the throwing one. The enemies just keep punching me in the back, they never grab!

Edit:
nvm I got it :P enemies in the later levels seemed to do it a lot more!

Edit2:
Just 400G'd the game :P cheers dude! ^_^

100,000G Reached: 25/04/12

Last edited by Craphex; 05-31-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: update
Craphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
MILINKYO

MILINKYO's Gamercard
Just wanna say thanks again, just got my 400g and wanna confirm you do not have to beat the boss at end of SoR3 in the 3 mins I didn't but still got the 100g
MILINKYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
gearsofmetroid

The Puppy horde's Gamercard
Good tips, the throwing one caught me out
gearsofmetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Kivlov

Kivlov's Gamercard
Awesome mate.

I knew about switching 3 to japanese but its good to inform others of it, as I hear it is so much easier and it lets you finish it on easy setting.

I didnt have all the cheat codes saved so this will save me the trouble of looking.

Nice one.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Kash Howard

Send a message via AIM to Kash Howard

Kash Howard's Gamercard
Followed this "guide" from start to finish and maxxed the game out real quick. Thanks for the tips, especially about switching SoR3 for BK3!

Kash Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Exu

EXU's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
Awesome mate.

I knew about switching 3 to japanese but its good to inform others of it, as I hear it is so much easier and it lets you finish it on easy setting.

I didnt have all the cheat codes saved so this will save me the trouble of looking.

Nice one.
Yeah, in my opinion BK3 is worth the entrance fee alone. And savestating the options menu after the cheats are activated will save people having to enter them on subsequent plays!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Ehrenfried

Ehrenfried's Gamercard
I have trouble getting the "beat game" cheevs with your method.
I get all but not the Syndicate Crusher" ones.
I've done it like you described but nope they won't unlock.
Ehrenfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Exu

EXU's Gamercard
Hmm. Are you using the cheats to get to and complete Stage 8 in SoR1, Stage 8 in SoR2 and Stage 7 in BK3?

You have to save the Chief in BK3 Stage 6 to get to the good ending version of Stage 7, it's the forest full of ninjas and robots that leads up to the robot factory, but as reported you do not need to defeat the final boss within the time limit.

During SOR1 and SOR2's credits hit and you should see the pink "saving" icon which confirms the game has been cleared. Only exit each game using this method.

Last edited by Exu; 05-31-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
Ehrenfried

Ehrenfried's Gamercard
Ignore my post....i was stoooopid.
Got the 100G.
And i can confirm, if the countdown runs out, u still get the cheev.

Ok i got all cheevs except for the "max a blitz"...
There is this annoying Stage, the construction site with the walls and the excavator.
This thing always drags my life and stars down.
How can i get past this?

Last edited by Ehrenfried; 05-31-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
Exu

EXU's Gamercard
Great stuff. Has anyone tried that on the American or European version? See on BK3 it plays the credits anyway but on SoR3 it does not.

Still dunno if it unlocks if you let the Chief die and go to Stage 7B instead though, but since you have to save him anyway to get the Zan achievement is it even worth anyone trying?

But yeah everyone should try the alternative final stage anyway, I find it much better than the "true" one.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
Kivlov

Kivlov's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrenfried View Post
Ignore my post....i was stoooopid.
Got the 100G.
And i can confirm, if the countdown runs out, u still get the cheev.

Ok i got all cheevs except for the "max a blitz"...
There is this annoying Stage, the construction site with the walls and the excavator.
This thing always drags my life and stars down.
How can i get past this?
That got me too and i forgot to save, so save state before it starts.

I basically just used skate and mapped the rear attack to one of the shoulder buttons and had the rapid punch, but normal will work, as his rear attack makes him backflip backwards, I just bashed that to advance me backwards then just held the attack button with it assigned with turbo, and when the bulldozer comes closer it automatially hits it.

The game overall is so awesome, I just wish so bad that the audio wasnt fucked on the first game. Which is by far my fav.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #16
Exu

EXU's Gamercard
Yep, punching a bulldozer makes it retreat. Bear in mind this will not work in real life.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
Ehrenfried

Ehrenfried's Gamercard
Exu, you are my hero.
This Speedguide was an awesome help, thank you!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Human

Pyro's Gamercard
Great guide, especially the codes with a second controller. Completed all versions (some more than once) got the best ending 1st time but i never made the game save (autosave is obsolete now?) so ill try again doing what you advised this time.

Having only played SoR1 and SoR2 in the past i was disappointed with SoR3 when playing it for my first time. Im going to try BK3 and hopefully i get what i was hoping for to begin with.
Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
Diachron

Send a message via AIM to Diachron

Diachron's Gamercard
This needs to be stickied. Exu, fantastic job on making short work of this 400! You clearly know your SoR.

p.s. The Sammy/Skate rapid attack + turbo option had me in stitches all the way though the Ultimate Power achievement. I will not soon forget his lightning-fast fists of deaths!
Diachron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
Exu

EXU's Gamercard
Yeah, it's like his finger has epilepsy. I have in fact come across an even faster method for Ultimate Power that I'll update the first post with shortly.
It's repetitive but it's faster and you don't have to worry about that Donovan punk riding a bulldozer up your butt.

As for the saving, I don't mean making a savestate during the credits. You just need to hit post-game so it saves that the game has been cleared.
The same is true for all SVC titles.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #21
venompimp10

Great guide, saved me some hours in playing this game.
venompimp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #22
Kivlov

Kivlov's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diachron View Post
This needs to be stickied. Exu, fantastic job on making short work of this 400! You clearly know your SoR.

p.s. The Sammy/Skate rapid attack + turbo option had me in stitches all the way though the Ultimate Power achievement. I will not soon forget his lightning-fast fists of deaths!
It always looks like hes wanking up in peoples faces.

Especially Electra's.

mmmm.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #23
djultimate

Ultimate 2k's Gamercard
Great guide, thanks

djultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #24
BROKEN POLYGONS

BROKEN POLYGONS's Gamercard
awesome guide. that was quick
BROKEN POLYGONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
Vivi

BlackMageV1V1's Gamercard
cant get an enemy to grab me for the Eyes in the Back of my head achievement. He just keeps punching me, even with my back to him. Does it matter what character I use? I'm using Blaze.

nvm, got it later on level 2 when attacked by a group of enemies.

Last edited by Vivi; 06-03-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #26
HATRID

HATRID REMAINS's Gamercard
great guide man.
HATRID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
Exu

EXU's Gamercard
Confirmed: If you take the "bad" path at the end of Streets of Rage 3 and do stage 7B instead then you will still get Syndicate Crusher. Confirmed this myself when I co-op'd with my brother while he did his 400.

I mean you're already going to stage 7A as part of the Zan achievement anyway but there we go, the information's out there. 7B's shorter but much more fun anyway.

Anyway, I've updated some parts of the guide to reflect the feedback given here.

Last edited by Exu; 06-06-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
DanceRandyDance

DanceRandyDance's Gamercard
tremendous guide, just obtained 400 points from it.
DanceRandyDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
RancidSkank
Banned User

RancidSkank's Gamercard
Thanks for posting; I bought it on launch to play online co-op and only realised after you wouldn't get achieves. Grabbed them in no time with this
RancidSkank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #30
ADAMS No2

ADAMS No1's Gamercard
Got my full 400gs last night with help from your mini guide, thanks for taking the time to put this together.

ADAMS No2 is offline   Reply With Quote