Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
BIGbivvie

Phil Bardsley's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Worth a buy?

.. Or a rent? Or neither?

I'm a massive game of thrones fan, so I'll probably get this anyway. But.. is it any good?

He turns to me, and he says, "Why so serious?".
Comes at me with the knife, "Why so serious?!".
Sticks the blade in my mouth, "Let's put a smile on that face."
Aaaand, why so serious?

BIGbivvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
From what I've heard and read... The game is utter crap and has had bad ratings left, right and centre.

Not saying you'll enjoy it, it's just what I've come across. I'd look up some reviews. Not sure if x360a has done one, but check out others like IGN etc
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
BIGbivvie

Yeah Nozz seen the reviews and they are shit. Just want to see peoples opinions on here before I get it. Cheers for your input, as always

Aaaand, why so serious?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Hayden

Send a message via MSN to Hayden

Hayden x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Hayden   x360a Representer   Over Achiever - Silver   Referrals - Silver   x360a Book Club   Donator - Level 2   Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   Member of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozza x360a View Post
The game is utter crap and has had bad ratings left, right and centre.
When did 7/10 become a bad review score?, which is what both Gamespot and OXM gave it.

Ign gave it 4/10 but the review was not great they did the same with Ninja Gaiden 3 which was still enjoyable.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
When did 7/10 become a bad review score?, which is what both Gamespot and OXM gave it.

Ign gave it 4/10 but the review was not great they did the same with Ninja Gaiden 3 which was still enjoyable.
Like I said. Its what I've read and seen in a couple of places, even here on the forums.

Again, I've never watched the series or played the game, so I'm going off peoples reactions. If others are giving it 7/10 etc, then it looks like it's getting mixed feelings and reviews.

Take the risk or don't, that's the only choice you have when it comes to that.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
olthof75

GLOBAL SHARK's Gamercard
I agree with the other posts

I personally really enjoy the game. I have only finished level one however. It takes a little bit of time to get used to the battle system (i'm not sure why they chose such an arcane way). But as the game progresses I have found it to not be all that bad. Once you unlock more actions, it seems a little better.

I have never read the books, but I do watch the series. The story seems like it will be very enjoyable. I don't think the graphics are terrible, but they are dated. I have not experienced any bugs (through Chapter 1), and I suggest you save a lot (you can anytime not in battle).

Overall, I think I will really enjoy this game. When/If you accept that this game is different from real-time fighting (like Witcher 2) and accept it flaws, it seems like it will be very fun. Hope this helps.
olthof75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
xKRAIZEEMANx

xKRAIZEEMANx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I am a huge fan of the books, and love the show. So, that is why I chose to partake in this game.
I would say it is worth a rent (that is the course I chose).
Not a lot of re-playability (none, in my case).
My complaints (I started a bitching thread LINK), is the over the shoulder view, which was maddening (To me), and the mouth animations were atrocious.

But, as I stated in the beginning of this post, it was worth it to me as a huge fan, and there is a special appearance by George R. R. Martin in the game (Another post..*Slight Spoilers* LINK)

Last edited by xKRAIZEEMANx; 06-01-2012 at 05:55 PM.
xKRAIZEEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
King of Battle

KingofBattle777's Gamercard
I have enjoyed it so far, but you do need some patience for this game. The first chapter is very cinimatic heavy and but so far the story itself is interesting which is the point. Rent it first to see if you can handle it.

Can I 100% every RPG on 360?

Games 100%:

Working on: Skyrim
King of Battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Brengun

Sir frotage's Gamercard
I reckon I'm about half way through and my thoughts are these if anyone is interested -

The Story is very good, although be prepared for a fair bit of dialogue, especially early on. However the strength of the story is enough to keep me interested, if you're familiar with the first book you will enjoy the themes here.

The combat is ok, there's not much depth, but at least its different - there are some tough fights where you need to mix it up but its quite similar to Dragon Age - if your character is strong enough you can hack n' slash your way through most of it.

The graphics are the worst part of the game. Oh and some of the voice acting but I don't mind that part so much. What is annoying is they have such a rich universe to exploit and it couldn't look more drab, some parts of the North are as bad as I've seen on this generation of console.

Overall if you like the books or series you'll get into this, get over the looks and there is a good story there, and some decent gameplay - I'd give it maybe 5 or 6 out of 10.
Brengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Baihu1983

Baihu1983's Gamercard

Really enjoyed it. Bit of a slow starter and some of the VA i terrible but once you get the hang of the combat its a blast with a solid story

3rd November 2012 - Joined the 100K club

IF YOU SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST OVER LIVE PLEASE ALSO SEND A MESSAGE SAYING WHY?

Raptar
Voice

Baihu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
Bombstriker

Send a message via AIM to Bombstriker

Bombstriker's Gamercard
The game isn't crap like some people say it is... If you are a huge fan of the show I would say sure it is worth it. If not, I would settle on just renting it if you plan on just getting the achievements.

HOPE TO GET A SIG SOON...
Bombstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I cant rememeber of any game based on a film/series ever being good since Goldeneye.

the_b1ues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #13
S4NDM4NX69

S4NDM4NX69's Gamercard
this game isnt as bad as some say. it was worth the 40 i paid
S4NDM4NX69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
JayR

SubmersedLeech's Gamercard
I got it on Thursday, just started it today. Seems good so far, played through the first chapter at Castle Black, part way the next. Took me about 2 hours. With maybe 30 minutes of game play. Story is good enough to keep me playing though.
JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #15
irontimes

IRONTIMES's Gamercard
It's like a jankier Dragon Age I, but it has it's own neat quirks. If you like the show or the books it's pretty solid.
irontimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
DJConnelly

Send a message via MSN to DJConnelly Send a message via Skype™ to DJConnelly

DJConnelly's Gamercard

Even if it is shit, I know I'll end up getting it purely because I love the series. From what I've read the combat is it's strongest aspect and the less said about the graphics the better. Think I'll buy it if I can get it for around 25 - 30 at some point.

DJConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
Exactorit

Exactor it's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_b1ues View Post
I cant rememeber of any game based on a film/series ever being good since Goldeneye.
Batman AA and AC.

___

I picked this up and played a bit of it. Not too bad, not amazing yet either though. The atmosphere is good though for those, like me, who loved the books. Feels a bit like the Discworld games in that it would be a crap game if you didn't love the world and the style it was set in.
Exactorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
three15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJConnelly View Post
Even if it is shit, I know I'll end up getting it purely because I love the series. From what I've read the combat is it's strongest aspect and the less said about the graphics the better. Think I'll buy it if I can get it for around 25 - 30 at some point.
Really DON'T, honestly it's the worst game i've ever played and i'm amazed that a great series of books and TV shows could be butchered in such a way and this 'game' still be allowed into the public domain. It really is that bad.
three15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
Wullsterino

Wull Scott's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
The game is utter toss. I plan on taking up self harm in lieu of another minute of this drek.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
Eggnogga

Eggnogga's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I ordered it yesterday as Best Buy had a 24 hour sale on the game for $19.99. (Free shipping as well) Figured for that price, I'd pick it up and give it a go.
Eggnogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
three15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggnogga View Post
I ordered it yesterday as Best Buy had a 24 hour sale on the game for $19.99. (Free shipping as well) Figured for that price, I'd pick it up and give it a go.
You should have set fire to a $20 and watched it burn, you'd have had much more fun.
three15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
adam16161

adam16161's Gamercard
ive only seen bad ratings for it but i think ill still give it ago

as bad grathics dont allways make a make a game bad if it has a good story behind it

CURRENTLY WORKING ON

dragon dogma 1000/1000
forza 4 625/1000
adam16161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
Bad Mojo 1974

Bad Mojo 1974's Gamercard
Smile I like it

I did the Best Buy DotD myself and I am enjoying the hell out of it. Like someone else stated graphics don't always make a game bad.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #24
Elekid

Elekidcore's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_b1ues View Post
They're all going to suck if you keep comparing them to Goldeneye. That's a bad habit to have.

I'm about to pop the game in for the first time. I'm a huge fan of both the show and the books (currently in book 4). I think it's going to be cool regardless of graphics, dialog, and combat, just to run around the seven kingdoms.
http://www.soundcloud.com/elekid - Hard Dance (US Hard House, Jumpstyle, Tekstyle, Hardstyle, Tech Dance), Schranz, Hardcore (Happy Hardcore, UK Hardcore, Freeform, Gabber, Frenchcore, Speedcore), Breaks, Trance, and Mash Up mixes. Also original US Hard House, Jumpstyle, & Tekstyle tracks and remixes.

Elekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
Homaz

Send a message via ICQ to Homaz Send a message via Skype™ to Homaz

A7 Homaz's Gamercard
Seems not bad at all. I love the Show, maybe I'm going to rent it. How long did 1 playthrough take?

Homaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
BIGbivvie

great, thanks guys.

Aaaand, why so serious?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #27
FranksEZ

FranksEZ's Gamercard
Thumbs up Great game

I just finished it took about 25-30 hrs. Amazing story with player's choices deciding 4 different endings! Easy 1000 gamerpoints. Solid gameplay. I picked up this and Silent Hill Downpour for $20 on newegg.com - it was definitely worth $20 and I woulda been fine paying $60. I almost passed on it after reading all the negative reviews--glad I didn't!! Prost!
FranksEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #28
foxdvd

foxdvd's Gamercard
Level design was poor....but the combat, especially later in the game, was actually a lot of fun. The story was fantastic. Loved how it mixed right in with the first book, and the final was exciting. If you can get over lower production values, it really is worth picking up.

Last edited by foxdvd; 10-28-2012 at 03:01 PM.
foxdvd is offline   Reply With Quote