PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
SilentStrike011

Do You Think Season Passes Are Worth It?

I'm unsure on this. I don't really like paying for things before i know what they are and a lot of content usually becomes available in the sale sooner or later.

Eg, I got all my Gears 3 content in the sale and it was less than 2400msp and quite frankly they're all aimed at specific game modes so if you only play mp you've pre-paid for a useless horde pack. Same with LA Noire, i got all the DLC for half price.

Cod Elite and the Battlefield add ons for 4000msp means you've paid nearly, if not a bit more, 80 for the game and they could release crap (collection 2 mw3 i'm looking at you here) and you've already paid for it.

I think season passes are nothing more than a more subtle attempt to rip people off.

This is just my personal opinion, for hardcore fans of a paticular game I'm aware it may be useful.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
ArsenalN5

I have never and probably won't ever buy one....For the simple reason being, I only own 2 games that I BOUGHT all the DLC for and that was COD4 which only had 1 and GTA 4 which had two.

So basically, I don't buy alot of DLC.
ArsenalN5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
It all depends on the game. If I'm a big fan of a particular game, then I would more than likely purchase every special DLC or a Season Pass for it.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I have had access to 3 season passes - Saints Row: The Third (1600 MS Points), Gears of War 3 (2400 MS Points) and Forza Motorsport 4 (2400 MS Points). In total, that's..... a little over 105 AUD.

Worth it? Saints Row: The Third has the worst season pass of any game I have ever heard/seen that contains a season pass. 25 AUD for ~3 hours of gameplay is unacceptable, especially when a lot of content from SR2 was not included in SR: The Third.

Gears 3 and Forza 4, I don't play them enough to comment on the add-ons, but I'd say it is worth it.

Overall, I do think they are a rort. Yes, you do save a few dollars, but that is no excuse to give season pass holders shit-ass content because you feel like you can get away with it, since we've already paid upfront.

iBuzz7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
bapae

Shaftamus Prime's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
If its a game that im going to end up buying all the DLC eventually anyway why not it will save me some money in the long run.

I actually like these. unless its like CoD's Sub based one that's just stupid i should just be a one time fee.

bapae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Since I buy all achievement-adding add-ons on Day 1, as long as the Season Pass "saves" me MSP I'll get it. It's worth it, for me.
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
Akatsuki Sensor

It really does depend. You never know if the risk will pay off and you'll get a lot of good, well made content, or if you'll get a half assed 30 minute per package deal.

Gears of War 3 is a perfect example of how the risk can pay off though.

Akatsuki Sensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
JeremyVersion1

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

COD Elite is paying itself off in spades. New game modes, along with new maps at a good consistent rate, on top of new Spec-Ops maps and missions, along with new achievements, plenty of double XP weekends for premium owners, along with all the stats/weapon guides (which I'm all for). All in all, I'm happy I paid the extra fifty bucks at the time, I've gotten and will continue to get plenty of content for my money.

JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
As others have said, it really depends on the game.

CoD Elite I am happy with that purchase. I play it enough and have gotten, what I believe, is a good return for what I paid.

Gears of War 3. Hit and miss. I got the season pass on sale for 1600 or 1800 I think. I don't play it as much as I should, but have enjoyed what I have played. With that said, I have probably not gotten my money's worth on that one. But, that's on me.

I was trying to think of other Season Passes I have, and I think those are the only two. If Fallout NV had a season pass I would have gotten that without issue. I can't think of any other game where I would jump at getting a season pass.

I'm not a fan of not knowing what I am paying for, or when it's coming out.

Thanks Rajeanero for the awesome work.
Wildmn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
Rascalov

EbonHawk01's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I got the first 2 DLCs for Gears 3 when they were on sale. I'm sure the other 2 will be on sale as well at some point. Didn't feel like buying the season pass.

R.I.P CrustyDirtDemon 1986-2011
Rascalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
cjdavies

cjdavies82's Gamercard

I like to know what it's included before hand.

I bought LA Noire after as I liked all of them.
I only liked RAAM's Shadow for Gears of War 3 so just bought that on it's own.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Samigi

HD Monkeys's Gamercard
Most are worth it such as L.A Noire and I suppose gears of war but some are a bit overpriced with the content inside, Saints row 3 was absolutely terrible 1600MSP for 10 minutes of gameplay also Battlefield 3 seems a bit steep of 4000MSP as a lot of people already have the first DLC and the season pass has it along with the other DLCs too there should probably be a 1000msp discount for those who have back to karkand. There aren't many season passes out there but they aren't all great at the moment.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

It offers a saving. But it depends if you want the dlc. I only buy dlc if I like a game. LA Noire and Saints Row 3 had awful dlc. LA Noire I waited until the half price sale to get it all and SR3 I didn't even bother. I prefer dlc to be substantial. I got Missing Link for Deus Ex half price and was seriously impressed. All depends on how much of a completionist you are as well.

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude's Gamercard

If its a game you love and you are sure you'd play it then yes. If ME3 MP dlc wouldn't have been free and they offered a season pass for it then I would have got it.
If GTAV offers one then I'll probably get it.
sleepydumbdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
I have bought a season pass and that was for Gears of War 3... couple of weeks later and everything that I had purchased was on sale which I was very disappointed about to say the least.

I was tempted to purchase the Saints Row The Third season pass but after look at how much I'm actually save I decided not to do that. I would be saving under 2 if I bought the season pass rather than all the content seperately. Not much of a saving in my eyes.

[ PSNP / TrueTrophies / TrueAchievements]
Blank friend requests are deleted.

AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
Sarsage

sarsage's Gamercard
Depends which publisher is offering the season pass. If it's R* they are less likely to mug you off by putting the DLC packs on offer later. Activision, Microsoft and EA probably will.
Sarsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I got one for LA Noire and that was worth it. But if it's for MP DLC, no. I didn't do MP with a Gold account and now that I'm Silver, I sure won't need it.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
RuYi

Location: It's not the end of the world. But you can see it from here.

Westraid's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Gamer Chick!
If you're sure that all the DLC/episodes/etc are worth it, why not?
It saves you having to purchase points several times if you can just get it over with at once.

I would get one for The Walking Dead if they had one.
At least I don't think they have one, haven't checked really.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuYi View Post
If you're sure that all the DLC/episodes/etc are worth it, why not?
It saves you having to purchase points several times if you can just get it over with at once.

I would get one for The Walking Dead if they had one.
At least I don't think they have one, haven't checked really.
From what I know PS3 has one and Xbox doesn't, which is silly

[ PSNP / TrueTrophies / TrueAchievements]
Blank friend requests are deleted.

AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
Qonok

Qonok's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Over Achiever - Silver
Depends on what is involved with the season pass. It is usually mentioned what all is included with the season pass. I have only bought two myself.

L.A. Noire was bought when the season pass was half price and was totally worth it.

Saints Row the Third....well, let's say I was less than pleased with the content. Especially since the first DLC (Genkibowl VII) should have been in the game to begin with and not a DLC.

Qonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #21
FFFreak1129

FFFreak1129's Gamercard

I bought the Gears of War 3 Season Pass. It was kind of worth it until a month later when the season pass went on sale then it wasn't worth it anymore cause I could have just waited. That and I'm not playing it as much as I thought I would.

L.A Noire was ok I was glad the DLC was story missions and not tacked on DLC so I bought it and I enjoyed it. Could have been longer cases but I had fun.
FFFreak1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #22
SilentStrike011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsage View Post
Depends which publisher is offering the season pass. If it's R* they are less likely to mug you off by putting the DLC packs on offer later. Activision, Microsoft and EA probably will.
I've noticed this with R*, I've been a fan of them since their early gta games. However, I don't know how much the LA Noire season pass was, but i got all the dlc individually in the sale ages ago and it was VERY cheap.

I havn't bought any so far, I've managed to get all my dlc in sales and it's turned out cheaper than buying the passes.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #23
Ehrenfried

Ehrenfried's Gamercard
HELL NO!

Season Pass, or whatever they come up with, is nothing more than milking the customer.
Ehrenfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #24
The Sea Trout

The Sea Trout's Gamercard
I always wait to see if I am going to play the game alot before forking out the cash on a season pass.

Needless to say I have not bought one yet lol.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
ADAMS No2

ADAMS No1's Gamercard
I think that a season pass is a pretty good idea, but it is a bit of a risk to be honest. I bought mine for Gears 3 and it was pretty good value but I just didn't love Gears 3 the way I did the original so I rarley play it! but I'm sure many gamers out there are glad they bought it.

ADAMS No2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
Barad
Maximum Club's Warrior

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   Micro Guide - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Community Gaming - Diamond   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   VGO Team Award - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 25 (more» ...)
Really depends on what game you're talking about and whether you're after achievements or not. Gears 3 & Battlefield 3 are great passes where as CoD Elite is a terrible example.

Become a Subscriber | Become an Ambassador | Become an Artist | Community Gaming

50,000G in Racing games - 28/03/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragarach Luin View Post
Barad's phone contains no games, only the numbers of various supermodels.
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #27
JeremyVersion1

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaybarad View Post
Really depends on what game you're talking about and whether you're after achievements or not. Gears 3 & Battlefield 3 are great passes where as CoD Elite is a terrible example.
Do what? They constantly drop new maps, new spec ops missions, new achievements, new game modes, run double XP events, run clan operations and upload new weapon guides. For the price of the maps alone you'd pay more then the fifty bucks it costs to get CoD Elite.

Last edited by JeremyVersion1; 06-11-2012 at 07:12 PM.
JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #28
CHIRUNO99

chiruno99's Gamercard

It depends who's offering and what with it. You need to read into what they offer and compare them to the content separately, of course SR: The Third was terrible.

Damn I'm so depressed.
CHIRUNO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #29
Akuza

Akuza89's Gamercard

if you kiss the games arse or the game companies arse i dont see why not

personally i wish square-enix did one
YU-GI-OH Arc V
Cardfight!!! Vanguard G
Gundam Build Fighters Try

Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #30
niko da bos

asari command0's Gamercard

six flags season pass? great deal, as long as you go more than once

video game season pass? ehh

to be fair ive stayed away from them so i cant really speak from personal experience. but i definetly was not going to drop the money for COD elite, it did not seem 1% worth it to me. not only were the features previously free (stats n stuff), but most all of elite didnt even work for the first few months. to top it off they try to butter you up into buying it by saying you will get DLC early. in reality they are just delaying the DLC they deliver to regular paying customers, then the "VIP" gets the maps on the original release date.

it just seems like more ways for them to take my money, i pay for the console + live + games + controller /turtle beaches ect lol.
niko da bos is offline   Reply With Quote