Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Dead Space 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Deceptive Hornet

deceptivehornet's Gamercard
Not scary at all

Am i the only one who thinks this game was not the slightest scary? On DS1 i had to, quite often, pause and do something else between the levels becuase of lightning and sounds. Great game, simply put.

DS2, i just breezed right through save for a few spots where i got stuck and didn't figure out what i'm supposed to do like in the computer core. It's a good game, but it didn't "scare" at all. Which is a shame. Or perhaps this should've been expected as i already knew, largely, what was coming and i got used to it in DS1.
Deceptive Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Zarkhan

You have just got a sick mind. The gore just doesn't scare you.
Zarkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Chaos MAN

ChaosSlayerX187's Gamercard
Dead space 1 and 2 never scared me. Didn't jump and certainly didn't need to pause it for a while.
Chaos MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Off The WaLL

Xx NicH xX's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceptive Hornet View Post
Am i the only one who thinks this game was not the slightest scary? On DS1 i had to, quite often, pause and do something else between the levels becuase of lightning and sounds. Great game, simply put.

DS2, i just breezed right through save for a few spots where i got stuck and didn't figure out what i'm supposed to do like in the computer core. It's a good game, but it didn't "scare" at all. Which is a shame. Or perhaps this should've been expected as i already knew, largely, what was coming and i got used to it in DS1.
All i know is it took me less than 48 hours to get the full 1000G
Game came out January 25 and I got the full 1000G by the 27 night.

No guide
No walkthrough
No nothing

I had an awesome experience with this game.
Still my personal 2011 GOTY

SEVERED took me 29 minutes to complete. (good piece of dlc)

Threads used to be good on this subforum
Now all I read is bullshit. like this " Not scary at all " pointless thread.
#1 on MEXICO #16 Worldwide
#1 Worldwide 1500G skate 3
100% Retail 44/47 - 100% Arcade 16/17
Working on: STATE OF DECAY LIFELINE 0.00% COMPLETED
Off The WaLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
JDMBO1

JDMBO1's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Dead Space 1 was scary I'll admit that, but the thing is after one playthrough it lost it for me. Dead Space 2 wasn't as scary as DS1 was, it was more of an adrenaline rush then anything. I couldn't stop playing DS2 when I got it played through it in one sitting. Severed great addition to DS2 and the ending of it was sad though, but I think they could've done better an expand it.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
INTY

Ultimania10's Gamercard
Hol' dup. You didn' find running through the insane ward at the beginning of the game?

But past that no the game didn't scare me.
Bioshock, Borderlands, Brutal Legend, CastleVania: Lords of Shadow, Darksiders, Dead Rising 2, Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Gears of War 2, Hunted: The Demon's Forge, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Portal 2 and The Orange Box.
INTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
ConflagrationMN

ConflagrationMN's Gamercard
The first half of Dead Space 1 scared the living bejeezus out of me. But after you play for a while and figure out all the things they do to scare you, it's no longer frightening. I jumped maybe once or twice during DS2, but it was nothing compared to the tension and dread of the original.
ConflagrationMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #8
cloud72

cloud72's Gamercard
there have been moments that have made me jump, usually sudden loud noises and bursts of steam whilst using headphones but nothing 'scary'
Old 07-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
The Bum-Mobile

Mr Shenanigans's Gamercard

To be frank, I love the Dead Space series, but I never found it as scary as it supposedly was. I'd say the only game that made me nervous to play was the first Condemned, which was a great game if anyone hasn't played it.

The Bum-Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #10
UNBOUND

massmrdr's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off The WaLL View Post

No guide
No walkthrough
No nothing

You call this a pointless thread and then you post this? I'm sure you are looking for praise but honestly the only "bullshit" I've read in this thread was your reply. Let's put the rulers away here people, these are achievements.

On topic, I haven't even started Dead Space 2 as I did just bought it. The first one was definitely freaky. Hopefully this one is at the very least unsettling in the dark turned up loud.

UNBOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
BranFlakes543

BranFlakes543's Gamercard
To me, it is the scariest game I've played since Doom 3 and Fatal Frame. This is just me of course and this goes for everyone out there, not everyone is going to be scared or afraid of the same thing in this world.
BranFlakes543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
CIF

BloodngunsMrphy's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bum-Mobile View Post
To be frank, I love the Dead Space series, but I never found it as scary as it supposedly was. I'd say the only game that made me nervous to play was the first Condemned, which was a great game if anyone hasn't played it.
I don't understand the idea that Condemned is scarier. There's a couple startling moments (enemies popping out of nowhere) but otherwise the only scary element is darkness.

The first Dead Space is truly creepy at times. Getting off an elevator and hearing someone scream, a guy banging his head against the wall until he decapitates himself, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" (I think) amongst dead bodies, the ending, etc.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
Eggro Suprise

eggro suprise's Gamercard
[QUOTE=Deceptive Hornet;4316849]Am i the only one who thinks this game was not the slightest scary? On DS1 i had to, quite often, pause and do something else between the levels becuase of lightning and sounds. Great game, simply put.

i agree with him this game was more science fiction i loved this game no joke i startedto play and i couldnt stop playing it i ended up beating my first play through that same day then the next morning i started my 2nd playthrough and i beat it its soo fun
Eggro Suprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #14
Seperatist98

Seperatist98's Gamercard
The game wasn't that bad for me, even on the first run. I think it was because I'd played through Dead Space 1 several times and I'd gotten used to it. Really, it's just the jump scares that get you.

Need to boost:
Duke Nukem 3D kills
Halo Wars experience
Seperatist98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #15
Verdinial
Banned User

TF x Redemption's Gamercard
The demo freaked me out a bit, but the full game didn't scare me at all, one of the reasons I sold it. Been a long time since I've played a good horror game, though... F.3.A.R. didn't really do much for me either but I guess that's because it wasn't supposed to, I knew it was something totally different.
Verdinial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #16
careful n0w

Intrigued n0w's Gamercard
It will be because you are used to it, it's not a massively different game in terms of scares and jumps.
careful n0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #17
careful n0w

Intrigued n0w's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BranFlakes543 View Post
To me, it is the scariest game I've played since Doom 3 and Fatal Frame. This is just me of course and this goes for everyone out there, not everyone is going to be scared or afraid of the same thing in this world.
Finally I come across someone who compares it to doom 3, I thought I was the only 1 who noticed the awsomeness between those two games :P
careful n0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
DeadRabbit

OrigamiElephant's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off The WaLL View Post

No guide
No walkthrough
No nothing

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to ask you what bragging about your accomplishments in Dead Space 2 adds to the validity of the thread, since it is in fact a "Not scary at all" bullshit thread to begin with.

In other words, a pointless post in a pointless thread is just as bad.

PS: This game scares the shit out of me.
DeadRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #19
freaks

K6feetdeephole's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceptive Hornet View Post
Am i the only one who thinks this game was not the slightest scary?
Yes. Now are you happy?

LET'S PARTY
freaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:52 AM   #20
Tridrakey

Pneumoniclaz3er's Gamercard
Wink scared within

Dead Space franchise scare you through the sounds and pop-ups (mostly sounds). You have to be into it building up your own fear.

I'm not a big fan of anything dealing with horror it's never scary and waste of time. So I decided to play Dead Space only at night (first time through) and build fear in my head to play.

Long story Dead Space is really fun one of my favorites but not scary unless paranoia builds in your head yourself.
Tridrakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:29 AM   #21
M4nur3 0ccur3th

Manure Occureth's Gamercard
Dead Space series, great games, love em, but yea there not that scary
When i was playing, I laughed most of the time
I guess players have to be in the right setting to get the full effect
Hell when my buddy played Silent Hill 2, he got super pissed cuz I was making fun of all the things going on, like I made bow chicka wow wow noises when pyramid head was raping those mannequins
Best day ever!
M4nur3 0ccur3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
whitemox

Lord Chris 75's Gamercard
When you play such games, you should play in the dark, turn off the lights and put on your 5.1 headphone...

That should be scary enough...
whitemox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #23
ChillBr0Bagginz

ChillBr0Bagginz's Gamercard
I grew up playing SH... I think the DS games are scary as heck! The atmosphere is super creepy!
ChillBr0Bagginz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 AM   #24
bblcreator8790

bblcreator8790's Gamercard

I sort of have to agree with the OP...Dead Space 2 wasn't really that scary. The first one wasn't that scary either, but it was scarier than the first. The second one just got your heart pounding from all of the crazy stuff you had to do. But to call it 'scary' is a bit far-fetched. The first one had more of an 'isolated' feel and you had little contact with other people so it had more of a scary edge to it along with a creepier environment, but the second one was more of an action game than anything. I always make a point to play these games at night too, which is the only way to do it. Doom 3 is still the scariest game I've ever played. Even though a lot of the scares in that game come from enemies jumping out suddenly, the atmosphere and environment in that game were unmatched for a horror-type shooter IMO.

I should also point out that I don't think the developers were really shooting for a really scary game in Dead Space 2, in fact I remember reading an article before the game came out that said they were trying to move it away from being a horror game by adding more action to it. So I don't think it's a failing in any way that the game isn't as scary as the first one.

Last edited by bblcreator8790; 09-28-2011 at 03:04 AM.
bblcreator8790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
SG1 Stelson

SG1 Stelson's Gamercard
The irony is whilst I didn't find the game that scary if I was in Issac's position I'd probably be too afraid to turn a corner...
SG1 Stelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #26
DmanMadness

DmanMadness's Gamercard
None of it really "scares" me persay. But I do get startled when things drop out of vents right on my head. LOL
DmanMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #27
upindat

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
This game has some scary parts. I always play with my headphones on. You cant tell me that part with the babies didnt freak you out?>?? that was some scary shit!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #28
Yoda beer

Yoda Beer's Gamercard
This game is scary as heck! If u find yourself opening a door and not wanting to go in, ur scarred. If you hear a noise, panic, and back up into a corner, ur scarred. If ur waist time in a "cleared" area instead of moving on, ur scarred. If u hear a noise or maybe because of instinks equip ur most powerful upgraded "fuck off" weapon for no other reason, ur scarred. If u take 1 step forward and 2 steps back, ur scarred. If u suddenly start panic firing, shooting 13 shots into thr nearest enemies chest, insted of limbs, ur scarred.

I experienced all of these things and more...

This and ds1 is the best horror suspence game for fear since resident evil 2.
Yoda beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #29
UnlimitedHail

UnlimitedHail's Gamercard
Neither were the FEAR games, they're still good games barring the horrid third. American developers can't into horror atmosphere.
UnlimitedHail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Negative Creep

negativecreep08's Gamercard
I'm going to go with the general consensus. Whilst DS2 is a very good game, and has both freaky and jumpy moments, it wasn't as scary as the original. It lacked that purveying atmosphere of dread and tension, and the feeling you were never truly safe. One time when I fought the Hunter I had to stop playing right after as my nerves were just shot.

It may have something to do with the bigger, more colourful environments, and that there's a lot more dialogue this time. I can however understand why they did this, since otherwise we'd be complaining they just rehased the same old ideas. One odd omission was the lack of Necros in the spacewalk sections, since their ability to attack without making a sound really kept you on your toes
Negative Creep is offline   Reply With Quote