PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dragon Age: Origins
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
xxbloodandthunderxx

Casan0vaRodeo's Gamercard
just a quick question

I realize I am a very late comer to this game. I've always wanted to play it but I have a severe fear of spiders. I was curious as to whether or not there are a lot of them in this game and whether or not they can be avoided. My coworker told me that there's only one quest where there are alot of spiders and theres an alternate path I can take to avoid them. If anyone can confirm this or give a second opinion, it would be greatly appreciated !
Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
mikeymud

Mikey Mud's Gamercard
Yeah, I'm not a fan of spiders either, but not to the point of arachnophobia. One of the origins has some spiders - one of the mage origins, I believe. Unforunately, there's a plot point about midway through the game which requires exploration of ruins where I believe the spiders are unavoidable.

Not that it's any relief, I'm sure, but the spiders in DA:O are relatively small. And by small, I'd say the size of an adult pig. If your phobia is severe enough, I would really avoid Dragon Age II, I'm afraid.

Last edited by mikeymud; 06-26-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: adding a phrase for clarification
mikeymud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
xxbloodandthunderxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymud View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of spiders either, but not to the point of arachnophobia. One of the origins has some spiders - one of the mage origins, I believe. Unforunately, there's a plot point about midway through the game which requires exploration of ruins where I believe the spiders are unavoidable.

Not that it's any relief, I'm sure, but the spiders in DA:O are relatively small. And by small, I'd say the size of an adult pig. If your phobia is severe enough, I would really avoid Dragon Age II, I'm afraid.
Thanks for the reply! Is that where you have to obtain someone's ashes? My coworker said that one quest requires you to obtain some ashes and you could either go through a cave full of spiders or take a different path and fight a dragon. And yea unfortunately I know I'm never going to play Dragon Age II lol. My cousin showed me an area with some of the spiders and.... *shudders* haha
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
mikeymud

Mikey Mud's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbloodandthunderxx View Post
Thanks for the reply! Is that where you have to obtain someone's ashes? My coworker said that one quest requires you to obtain some ashes and you could either go through a cave full of spiders or take a different path and fight a dragon. And yea unfortunately I know I'm never going to play Dragon Age II lol. My cousin showed me an area with some of the spiders and.... *shudders* haha
That may be true. But there's another part of the story where you explore ruins and there are quite a few spiders. Not to mention quite a few in the Deep Roads. I really think that you can't avoid spiders 100% in this game.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
xxbloodandthunderxx

Quote:
That may be true. But there's another part of the story where you explore ruins and there are quite a few spiders. Not to mention quite a few in the Deep Roads. I really think that you can't avoid spiders 100% in this game.
Damn. I was afraid I was going to get conflicting answers lol. Idk, I might be able to handle them. I was able to 1000 LOTR:WITN but I think that may be due to the fact that I played all three playthroughs fully in coop and therefore was able to not really look at the screen for the most part during the spider fights lol
Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Jakethemuss

Thepercenter's Gamercard
I have played this game through countless times and guarantee you now you can't complete the story line without running into spiders atleast afew times.

The Brecilian ruins in the Elves/Werewolves quest has some intense spider attacks.

The Deep Roads in the Dwarf King quest has several spider attacks. One of these is a 'boss' (or rather sub-boss) spider fight where you're gonna have to pay attention closely due to the difficulty of what you're up against.

There is atleast one random encounter whilst travelling from place to place where you have to move through a spider's 'nest' and keep getting ambushed by 4 or so spiders. Only way to avoid this I guess is to constantly save before fast travelling from place to place and reloading if you don't want to do the spider's nest as you prolly won't get that same encounter again.

The urn of scared ashes quest has some spiders lurking aswell I think.

Basically if its a desolate, ruined or crypt like area you're navigating there is a good chance you'll meet spiders just by the nature of the place-you'll often see huge cobwebs to give you some warning lol. Whereas if its a manned outpost, palace or generally 'used' area then it'll prolly just be two legged beings and mabari.

Currently looking to boost; Condemned 2, Crackdown co-op

Info for potential multiplayer pals; I am a UK brah so go by 'GMT'
Jakethemuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Eggnogga

Eggnogga's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
OP, the other unfortunate thing is that the only instance in this whole game that has made me jump, is when a spider hops down from the ceiling to attack you. lol. There are far more darkspawn and bandits in the game than spiders, but at least you can see them from far away to know the fight is coming.

However, I wouldn't put playing this amazing game due to some enemies you will fight only a few times.
Eggnogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
xxbloodandthunderxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggnogga View Post
OP, the other unfortunate thing is that the only instance in this whole game that has made me jump, is when a spider hops down from the ceiling to attack you. lol. There are far more darkspawn and bandits in the game than spiders, but at least you can see them from far away to know the fight is coming.

However, I wouldn't put playing this amazing game due to some enemies you will fight only a few times.
I think I'd cry and have a heart attack if I saw that. Like seriously I cant play sooooo many games due to this phobia. It's heartbreaking. I know this game is amazing and I want to play it sooo badly but this phobia is so severe the second I see a spider I freak. I tried Castlevania LoS and the second I saw a spider start coming down from the ceiling, I shut off my xbox and ran downstairs.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Eggnogga

Eggnogga's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I really think you might have a deeper problem going on if pixelated images on your TV screen freak you out that much.
Eggnogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
mikeymud

Mikey Mud's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggnogga View Post
I really think you might have a deeper problem going on if pixelated images on your TV screen freak you out that much.
Um, it's called a phobia. Look, I know you don't mean to come off as patronizing, but look around - the OP is not the only gamer to have issues with spiders in games, even if we all know they're pixellated. Trust me, if Bioware replaced those giant spiders with giant slimy garden slugs, I wouldn't come close to the Dragon Age series.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
xxbloodandthunderxx

Quote:
Um, it's called a phobia. Look, I know you don't mean to come off as patronizing, but look around - the OP is not the only gamer to have issues with spiders in games, even if we all know they're pixellated. Trust me, if Bioware replaced those giant spiders with giant slimy garden slugs, I wouldn't come close to the Dragon Age series.
Thanks man. I know it's hard for people to understand phobias this severe but they're real. Appreciate the support
Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
xxbloodandthunderxx

Okay so I've worked my way through the beginning of the game, finished the elves and mages part of the main story. Had a friend over when I encountered spiders thankfully lol. Just wondering if theres any in the dlc packs?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #13
DJConnelly

Send a message via MSN to DJConnelly Send a message via Skype™ to DJConnelly

DJConnelly's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbloodandthunderxx View Post
Okay so I've worked my way through the beginning of the game, finished the elves and mages part of the main story. Had a friend over when I encountered spiders thankfully lol. Just wondering if theres any in the dlc packs?
The Awakening Expansion might have some. (edit: maybe not at all?) But only briefly. I do not recall seeing spiders in any of the other DLC packs.

DJConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote