PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Puzzle and Word > Spelunky
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #31
Spock
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,072

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Holy crap, I just got more frustrated than I have in the past few years of playing video games. I've been trying to get the gold key from the Mines to the end of the Ice Caves to unlock the shortcut to the Temple. I got to 3-4 two times and died directly beside the exit once. I got to 3-3 two times as well, and 3-1 probably four times. Finally just got that done. So relieved lol.

[Edit]: Oh wow, if I knew what I was doing when I went into the boss fight, I could have been in the top 10 for best times.
__________________
GUIDES: DRAGON'S DOGMA, SPELUNKY, SOUND SHAPES

I like bitching threads.

Last edited by Spock; 07-08-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #32
Stiqe
 
Stiqe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16
Send a message via AIM to Stiqe

Stiqe's Gamercard

for those who think this game is unfair / TOO hard.

as long as you take the necessary precautions and minimize risk you can deal with anything this game throws at you.

he offers some useful tips in the video, as well.
Stiqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #33
Scottcool
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 157

scottcool2's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiqe View Post
for those who think this game is unfair / TOO hard.

as long as you take the necessary precautions and minimize risk you can deal with anything this game throws at you.
I love this game, but the xbla version appears 2 be a lot harder than what he just did, there is no way that i can get to the end of temple levels by doing 4 jumps down.
Scottcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
sepulturas666
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcool View Post
I love this game, but the xbla version appears 2 be a lot harder than what he just did, there is no way that i can get to the end of temple levels by doing 4 jumps down.
Yep XBLA version has more enemies and they are faster. I would be interested to see no attack/no damage runs in the new version. Of course, it's possible, but a lot harder than pc version. Also Temple levels are bigger.
sepulturas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #35
DROGTURIST
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 640

DROGTURIST's Gamercard
Yeah, don't really see how that video applies to the XBLA version at all. The game has been made harder in every single little way on XBLA...

But I've got the definition of frustrating right here! I managed to beat Olmec and make it through the game with no shortcuts, but as I got out of the pit he creates I was jumped by a monkey. I was holding the Scepter and sort of kneejerked at pressing the X button even though it wouldn't have helped get the monkey off. The pink ball turned right around and instakilled me, two steps from the exit.

So...yeah, don't even bother picking up the Scepter unless you're going to the City of Gold.

Last edited by DROGTURIST; 07-08-2012 at 03:13 PM.
DROGTURIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #36
Stiqe
 
Stiqe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16
Send a message via AIM to Stiqe

Stiqe's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROGTURIST View Post
Yeah, don't really see how that video applies to the XBLA version at all. The game has been made harder in every single little way on XBLA...
While I do acknowledge the XBLA version has been made a buttload harder, it still doesn't change the fact that it's still absolutely possible. I'm fairly hopefuly Derek's gonna release a few fixes for some of the more annoying level-generation screw ups, but for the most part if something kills you it's because you didn't deal with the situation optimally?

NOT that I'm saying "woah this game is so easy ALL the time you guys!"

Personally I'm just as pissed as you guys, i've made it to olmec four times from the beginning with a co-op partner, one of those times without getting ANY gold, and the bastard managed to squish me on a technicality EACH time.
(gap not functioning correctly, squished without being under him, squished while ON TOP OF HIS HEAD ARGH) etc)
Stiqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #37
DROGTURIST
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 640

DROGTURIST's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiqe View Post
While I do acknowledge the XBLA version has been made a buttload harder, it still doesn't change the fact that it's still absolutely possible.
Of course it's possible, but I think this thread is more about "is it reasonably feasible?" I mean, it's possible for a person to, I don't know, double flip a bike but most of us posting here would most likely break our necks if we tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiqe View Post
Personally I'm just as pissed as you guys, i've made it to olmec four times from the beginning with a co-op partner, one of those times without getting ANY gold, and the bastard managed to squish me on a technicality EACH time.
(gap not functioning correctly, squished without being under him, squished while ON TOP OF HIS HEAD ARGH) etc)
Wow, so that time where I swear that he didn't actually crush me but I still died actually did happen?

I've also had shopkeepers kill me with their back turned, and just now I had an awesome run for 500k going and I tossed a bomb at a floor 4-5 blocks below and away from me but the blast magically killed me anyway. Not to mention the time the Scepter's pink ball grabbed a damsel which instantly killed me for no reason even though the ball was holding the damsel. This game is awesome and ridiculously addictive but it's got some weird glitches.
DROGTURIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #38
Thee Elf
 
Thee Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 263

eg x thee elf's Gamercard
For having never played the PC version, the biggest disadvantage I see if the night levels. The PC version definitely seems easier. I definitely see this being a 10/10 on achievement difficulty.
Thee Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #39
SnapDragon
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROGTURIST View Post
I've also had shopkeepers kill me with their back turned, and just now I had an awesome run for 500k going and I tossed a bomb at a floor 4-5 blocks below and away from me but the blast magically killed me anyway. Not to mention the time the Scepter's pink ball grabbed a damsel which instantly killed me for no reason even though the ball was holding the damsel. This game is awesome and ridiculously addictive but it's got some weird glitches.
Bombs can kill you at a distance with debris. The gold nuggets they uncover only hurt enemies, but if there are stones, arrows, chests, or even (I think) gold bars near the bomb the flying debris can hurt you a lot.

I almost never use the Scepter as a weapon on a real run. It's just too risky.

A large part of the learning process is figuring out what endangers you. If you die and don't know why, you're probably missing something.
SnapDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #40
DROGTURIST
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 640

DROGTURIST's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapDragon View Post
Bombs can kill you at a distance with debris. The gold nuggets they uncover only hurt enemies, but if there are stones, arrows, chests, or even (I think) gold bars near the bomb the flying debris can hurt you a lot.
But how is that not bullshit? Am I supposed to jetpack several screens away to be safe from every bomb I place? If I'm a full 5 blocks away and on a level above the blast, it's just absurd for the game to kill me. I had 6 life and there wasn't even anything lying around on the floor, I just placed the bomb on an empty floor (with a mummy 6-7 blocks to the left of it though) and jetpacked back up to the nearest ledge and when it exploded, I just suddenly died. That's plain bullshit, not me being bad at games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapDragon View Post
A large part of the learning process is figuring out what endangers you. If you die and don't know why, you're probably missing something.
Why are you fanboying so hard for this game? I know you like it and so do I, but it is entirely possible for it to have glitches and mistakes, you know. Dying when the Scepter's pink ball isn't even close to me is a glitch and a tiny bit of debris, or whatever it was, killing me when I'm definitely out of what should be harm's way is a design mistake.

Last edited by DROGTURIST; 07-09-2012 at 06:51 AM.
DROGTURIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #41
SnapDragon
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROGTURIST View Post
But how is that not bullshit? Am I supposed to jetpack several screens away to be safe from every bomb I place? If I'm a full 5 blocks away and on a level above the blast, it's just absurd for the game to kill me. I had 6 life and there wasn't even anything lying around on the floor, I just placed the bomb on an empty floor (with a mummy 6-7 blocks to the left of it though) and jetpacked back up to the nearest ledge and when it exploded, I just suddenly died. That's plain bullshit, not me being bad at games.
Um, it's not bullshit because you can easily prevent it by checking the area before you set off explosives. Like everything else in this game, it's on you to be careful. That's not a bug that's going to get fixed, in case you're wondering. Mind you, debris doesn't take off 6 lives. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened to you. But I can say random explosion deaths have never happened to me, and I've played a LOT...

Random deaths from the Scepter and Olmec, on the other hand, definitely happen. I never use the Scepter, and I never use the "fast" strategy on Olmec on a real run (even on my speed run I tunneled under him with bombs!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROGTURIST View Post
Why are you fanboying so hard for this game? I know you like it and so do I, but it is entirely possible for it to have glitches and mistakes, you know. Dying when the Scepter's pink ball isn't even close to me is a glitch and a tiny bit of debris, or whatever it was, killing me when I'm definitely out of what should be harm's way is a design mistake.
It's possibly my favorite game of the year, which seems a good reason to be a "fanboy". And it seems to me like you're just frustrated (it's a very frustrating game at times!) and complaining about everything you see, justified or not. I see very little wrong with the randomized levels, and a hell of a lot right. They're not going to patch the very nature of the game away, so if you don't like it, maybe you should play something else?
SnapDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #42
DROGTURIST
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 640

DROGTURIST's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapDragon View Post
Um, it's not bullshit because you can easily prevent it by checking the area before you set off explosives. Like everything else in this game, it's on you to be careful. That's not a bug that's going to get fixed, in case you're wondering. Mind you, debris doesn't take off 6 lives. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened to you. But I can say random explosion deaths have never happened to me, and I've played a LOT...
They hadn't happened to me either, except for this situation, where it did happen. I'm saying that I was well clear of the explosion, nothing fell on me and I lost 6 hearts just like that - that's the entire point here, that it was a bullshit freakout glitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapDragon View Post
It's possibly my favorite game of the year, which seems a good reason to be a "fanboy". And it seems to me like you're just frustrated (it's a very frustrating game at times!) and complaining about everything you see, justified or not. I see very little wrong with the randomized levels, and a hell of a lot right. They're not going to patch the very nature of the game away, so if you don't like it, maybe you should play something else?
Well, the reason I'm saying "fanboy" is because you're reading things in my posts that I'm not saying, and refusing to acknowledge that perhaps this game does have an issue or two. You've been responding like I'm complaining about it being too hard, which I've never stated nor implied, and now you're saying that I'm complaining about "every little thing" when I've only leveled complaints at the randomization engine not being perfect and a little list of three bullshit deaths I've had as a response to someone talking about bullshit deaths. They do happen, even if they haven't happened to you.

I mean, you can argue that, for example, my picture example can be ignored because you don't need a damsel on level 1-1 and that's fine, but the picture proves that the engine can create frustrating crap and that was my entire point. I never talked about it making the game too hard or frustrating, just that the randomization could use some work. I said "impossible situation," but that doesn't mean "impossible to survive;" it can also mean "that damsel is impossible to save," and she is. You interpreting that as "the game is too hard" is on you, as I've said no such thing.
DROGTURIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #43
The Hypnotoad
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scunthorpe
Posts: 101

Lol Wut Pear's Gamercard
TBH the game is growing on me.

The Jungle is hard as hell and the random levels can really fuck you over at time (exits to caves between two tikki traps) but Ive got the shortcut to ice levels now and Im starting to enjoy it.

Furthest Ive got so far is 4-3 (2-4 from the beginning) and I just got annihilated, started the cave with 6 health and lost it all in about 2 seconds.
__________________

100% Retail
Ashes Cricket, Megadrive Classics, Avatar, Madden 06, FNR 3, NBA 2K6, Cloudy, PDC Pro tour, Sleeping Dogs, SR:IV
100% XBLA
Uno, 3 on 3 NHL, DOD, DR2:C0, Sonic&knuckles, Portal:SA, Monkey Island SE, SVC: Alex Kidd, Minecraft, State Of Decay, Crash Course 2, Awesomnauts
Working On
Portal 2, Cloudberry Kingdom
The Hypnotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #44
AltarofPlagues
 
AltarofPlagues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rugby
Posts: 160

AltarofPlagues's Gamercard
ive managed to unlock the shortcut to the temple now but seriously, I get owned at the temple everytime. its overpopulated with things that want to kill you, Im finding it a right pain. only got to Olmec once, what do you even do? Just avoid it?
AltarofPlagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #45
DROGTURIST
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 640

DROGTURIST's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarofPlagues View Post
ive managed to unlock the shortcut to the temple now but seriously, I get owned at the temple everytime. its overpopulated with things that want to kill you, Im finding it a right pain. only got to Olmec once, what do you even do? Just avoid it?
You need to make him commit suicide by falling into the lava below the ground he's stomping on, so you need to either make him stomp the same stop 5-6 times, or place the same number of bombs in the same spot while luring him to other spots.

As for the shortcuts, I find them useless myself. Throwing yourself into the Temple with 4 life, 4 bombs and 4 ropes is, in my opinion, a bigger headache than just starting from the beginning and rushing through the first few levels. Most of the achievements in the game are for full-game runs, so it's good to get practice in and when you do start from the beginning, you can make it to the Temple all geared up with awesome equipment.
DROGTURIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #46
jorax
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 350

JORAX's Gamercard
Hard to get practice in later levels when its tough to reliably get to them though. The shortcuts are fantastic for getting accustomed to the new enemies and traps with limited resources to deal with them.
jorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #47
Seppälä
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 247

Seppala13's Gamercard
That f*cking temple can go f*ck itself >
__________________
Seppälä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #48
sepulturas666
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppälä View Post
That f*cking temple can go f*ck itself >
Frustrating, isn't it?

I hate when had a good run and the game cheat me with dark level. It's next to impossible (at least for me) if that happens in the Temple.
sepulturas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #49
Seppälä
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 247

Seppala13's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulturas666 View Post
Frustrating, isn't it?

I hate when had a good run and the game cheat me with dark level. It's next to impossible (at least for me) if that happens in the Temple.
Oh, God I hate those dark levels. Got two in a row once.
I hate that this game is so addictive too.

:P
__________________
Seppälä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #50
DeadMansHand
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Random levels will produce random results. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I hate it. Sometimes I feel lucky, sometimes I feel cheated.

Good article from the designer:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...to_be_mean.php

Last edited by DeadMansHand; 07-11-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added link from designer
DeadMansHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #51
VixyNyan
 
VixyNyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 83
Send a message via AIM to VixyNyan Send a message via MSN to VixyNyan Send a message via Skype™ to VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I am almost finished with the journal and the Hell level. I only need to beat the True Last Boss and rescue the tutorial guy~ ;3

Many attempts but I have been able to reach Hell a couple of times now. ^^b
__________________
My name is Rebecca and I LOVE shoot'em ups, nya~! <3 ^w^
TrueAchievements | Youtube | LiveStream | DeviantArt

VixyNyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #52
Sceneman
 
Sceneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 64

Sceneman's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixyNyan View Post
I am almost finished with the journal and the Hell level. I only need to beat the True Last Boss and rescue the tutorial guy~ ;3

Many attempts but I have been able to reach Hell a couple of times now. ^^b
mad pro!

I just got this game yesterday and I love it!

Sooooo hard but that's what makes it good. Spent 5 hours on it yesterday without even barely moving from my chair, I'm hooked.
__________________
100% Retail:

King Kong
Avatar TLA: TBE
TMNT

100% Arcade:
Dash of Destruction

(fyi my sig is "ironic")
Sceneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #53
AltarofPlagues
 
AltarofPlagues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rugby
Posts: 160

AltarofPlagues's Gamercard
better player than me, clearly. I just got the addicted achivement, but only through dying so many times. Ive officially died 1000 times and not completed the game yet
AltarofPlagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #54
VixyNyan
 
VixyNyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 83
Send a message via AIM to VixyNyan Send a message via MSN to VixyNyan Send a message via Skype™ to VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Well I did have a "Weekly Scores" run where I reached level 5-4 with 180k gold, but it got replaced with a 390k gold score. Sorry. ^^;
__________________
My name is Rebecca and I LOVE shoot'em ups, nya~! <3 ^w^
TrueAchievements | Youtube | LiveStream | DeviantArt

VixyNyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #55
Thee Elf
 
Thee Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 263

eg x thee elf's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarofPlagues View Post
better player than me, clearly. I just got the addicted achivement, but only through dying so many times. Ive officially died 1000 times and not completed the game yet
This game can definitely be on the frustrating side. Just wait until you start going for the City of Gold/Hell runs. I don't know how many times I get the Ankh and something stupid happens on level 3-1 causing me to use it before I get to 3-2. Finally decided to take a break from it.
Thee Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #56
BanditBanks
 
BanditBanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 392

BanditBanks's Gamercard
I seriously wish the shopkeepers would be patched in a way that make them not so fucking brutal.
The amount of times I've made it to the Black Market, only for a snail to blow a bubble in the shop, or have a bomb frog blow up a fraction of the shop.
Ruined so many good runs. Along with the ridiculous stun time when you get hit
Having so many hearts reduced to death because of being chain stunned by those boomerang guys.

/rant

Last edited by BanditBanks; 07-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.
BanditBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #57
AltarofPlagues
 
AltarofPlagues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rugby
Posts: 160

AltarofPlagues's Gamercard
im trying for the city of gold now. I have had the ankh a few times, then literally slipped up slightly on the ice caves and got stunned etc and died. the cape makes the ice caves a piece of piss but you cant always rely on having it. jetpack makes things easier too, but again, cant always rely on having it.
AltarofPlagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #58
Scottcool
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 157

scottcool2's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarofPlagues View Post
im trying for the city of gold now. I have had the ankh a few times, then literally slipped up slightly on the ice caves and got stunned etc and died. the cape makes the ice caves a piece of piss but you cant always rely on having it. jetpack makes things easier too, but again, cant always rely on having it.
I don't want to sound condescending as i'm sure you have your own strat but my technique now is to save up as much as possible in the mines, not collecting damsels just treasure and the udjat eye. The only thing i would spend money on is a cape or jet pack, then if you don't have one by the jungle you can get 1 or the other in the black market.

I've just finally managed to save 10 damsels and kill 12 shopkeepers (not in the same run, are u insane) I'd say the freeze ray being in the shop on 1-2 is the easiest first shopkeeper kill but it has to be shotgun from then on, getting the udjat eye so you can go buck wild in the black market is essential also.
Scottcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #59
zalexzy
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 106

Zalexzy's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcool View Post
cape or jet pack, then if you don't have one by the jungle you can get 1 or the other in the black market.
Lol, I never had either one of those in black market, they usually selling just everything else. Have completed game, now trying to get in to golden city and hell.
zalexzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #60
Aksh0le
 
Aksh0le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 466

Akshun's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)


I was so damn close, that Blue Frog ended it all. I guess I was about 30 seconds off of speedlunky but it's totally dooable. It's frustrating yes but not impossible.
__________________
Aksh0le is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 PM.