PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Puzzle and Word > Spelunky
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #61
Scottcool

scottcool2's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksh0le View Post

I was so damn close, that Blue Frog ended it all. I guess I was about 30 seconds off of speedlunky but it's totally dooable. It's frustrating yes but not impossible.
Unlucky!

I was replaying the ice levels from the shortcut to get to the mothership and on 3-1 a mine went off immediately on the shrine angering kali, went to 3-2 it happened again.

I then discovered that if you really anger kali like this you get a ball and chain attached to you that drags you down the level and stops you going back up.
Scottcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #62
VixyNyan

Send a message via AIM to VixyNyan Send a message via MSN to VixyNyan Send a message via Skype™ to VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I would recommend to only rob the shopkeepers (and ghost run) if you're going for 500,000 gold. Leave the shopkeepers alone on your other runs, like the Hell level, journal and new characters achievements. That way you will stay safe and you will most likely afford the Ankh anyway.

When you reach Olmec, you will be able to use ropes or a jetpack to reach the top area and stock up on your bombs, since it will be very useful against the True Last Boss fight in Hell (if you don't have Shotgun, also it would be important to get Paste as well). But if you feel confident in your Spelunky skills, then go ahead and rob the shopkeepers for higher scores. ( >w<)

VixyNyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #63
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Is this game harder than Super meat boy and N+?

Jakez123 > Dirty130
Jakez123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #64
BanditBanks

BanditBanks's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
Is this game harder than Super meat boy and N+?
Miles harder. Those games are super hard platformers that require skill and muscle memory.
While this game isn't as hard 'platform' wise, it does require quite a lot of luck when trying to go for specific achievements.

Also, the levels in Spelunky are randomly generated, so you can't really learn a path to the exit. You always have to on your toes.

Last edited by BanditBanks; 07-15-2012 at 11:13 PM.
BanditBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #65
GSpot84

Send a message via AIM to GSpot84

BSpot84's Gamercard
This board is fairly quiet compared to most XBLA achievement forums. Guessing it has to do with the difficulty but I'm proud to say I finally finished the key run which up until this point was the hardest task I think I've ever completed in a game. Which goes to say I won't be going for 400/400. I will be happy beating the game and getting the shopkeeper and damsel achievements.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #66
sepulturas666

Ah, Olmec killed me right when he fall into lava. I was with around 6 minutes in the clock. Feels bad man.
sepulturas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #67
kcifor

kcifor's Gamercard
Some tips I have learned over the course of almost 500 or so deaths...They are just my opinions but, hey, we can all use anything we can get right?

- If you're struggling trying to get the Iron Man achievement, make sure you get the Eye as well as 50,000 (or at least close) gold. About 5-10 bombs wouldn't hurt either. In the Jungle, get the Ankh from the Black Market but don't sacrifice yourself to get the Hedjet in the Ice Caves. That essentially gives you an extra life to get through the rest of the game, which, as we all probably know, comes in handy in the Temple where rescuing Damsels is borderline impossible without good items.
- Getting through the Temple by way of the shortcut requires very, very selective bomb placement and a lot of luck. Since you're essentially naked, an Anubis or Tomb Lord in a corridor means you're not getting through that way, period, and you'll be forced to bomb downwards if you want to survive. Since you only have four, it's a matter of guessing where the exit is going to be. Good luck!
- Don't mess around with the Scepter. It's nice to give some payback to those guys who have made your life a living hell but one misfire might end a nice run prematurely...stick with that buck-buck.
- If a Shopkeeper has a freeze gun for sale and you want some of his other goods for free, pick it up to lead him away from his corner, freeze him and instantly jump on him to break him into a million pieces. Works everytime.
- Avoid Paste when going for 10 Shopkeeper kills. Especially if you still have some of the mines to go after killing your first.
kcifor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #68
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gotta Go Fast! Franchise Club - Tier 1   Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditBanks View Post
Miles harder. Those games are super hard platformers that require skill and muscle memory.
While this game isn't as hard 'platform' wise, it does require quite a lot of luck when trying to go for specific achievements.

Also, the levels in Spelunky are randomly generated, so you can't really learn a path to the exit. You always have to on your toes.
Well if it's luck based I doubt it's "hard" then. just re-do it till you get lucky.

Jakez123 > Dirty130
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #69
BanditBanks

BanditBanks's Gamercard
Quote:
Well if it's luck based I doubt it's "hard" then. just re-do it till you get lucky.
Play it for yourself and say that again haha.

By luck I meant you could luckily find a Jetpack very early, making the rest of the game 'easier' but by no means is the game itself actually 'easy'. Random shops containing a load of bombs would be a very good thing, but then there's also the chance the shop will contain nothing useful at all.

Although, if you were to restart the game until you did find a Jetpack in the first level, you'd be there for a loong time. It would also detract from the whole Spelunky experience.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #70
AltarofPlagues

AltarofPlagues's Gamercard
What I dont understand is why despite this game having a reasonably high profile release, Nobody is playing it. the achievement guide here isnt even complete. hardly anybody is even daring to play it.
AltarofPlagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #71
BanditBanks

BanditBanks's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarofPlagues View Post
What I dont understand is why despite this game having a reasonably high profile release, Nobody is playing it. the achievement guide here isnt even complete. hardly anybody is even daring to play it.
I think the 1200 price tag is to blame. Even when games are worth it, most people wont spend that much on an 'arcade' title. Which is a shame, this game is definately worth it, if you enjoy a challenging game.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #72
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
the achievement guide here isnt even complete.
Well that's because I have to read a quarter of a book each day for 4 days and do an assignment for each quarter. Then I move on to a new batch of fun stuff to do.

I'm just busy.

I like bitching threads.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #73
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditBanks View Post
Play it for yourself and say that again haha.

By luck I meant you could luckily find a Jetpack very early, making the rest of the game 'easier' but by no means is the game itself actually 'easy'. Random shops containing a load of bombs would be a very good thing, but then there's also the chance the shop will contain nothing useful at all.

Although, if you were to restart the game until you did find a Jetpack in the first level, you'd be there for a loong time. It would also detract from the whole Spelunky experience.
It's too expensive. Just sounds like a "Fake" difficulty game the. I am not impressed.

Jakez123 > Dirty130
Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #74
SnapDragon

Quote:
It's too expensive. Just sounds like a "Fake" difficulty game the. I am not impressed.
What an informed opinion! Please, tell me more about the things you haven't tried that you hate. I await with breathless anticipation.
SnapDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #75
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapDragon View Post
What an informed opinion! Please, tell me more about the things you haven't tried that you hate. I await with breathless anticipation.
Well, I'm just saying that it's true. I guess I really can't call it "hard" as it is luck based (with a bit of skill).

I never said i hated it. I just said that I wasn't impressed, no need to get all sarcastic.

I might wait for DOTW and then i'll 400/400 this game.

Jakez123 > Dirty130
Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #76
HotSoup

Quote:
Well, I'm just saying that it's true. I guess I really can't call it "hard" as it is luck based (with a bit of skill).

I never said i hated it. I just said that I wasn't impressed, no need to get all sarcastic.

I created an account just to tell you how stupid you are. This is both one of the hardest and one of the best games I've played in a long time. This is like original Adventure Island hard. It is random but no matter what you HAVE to have skills or you're dead. The demo is free (not that $15 is a lot unless you're a bum) and has the first four levels. See how long it takes you to beat it. Maybe eventually you can beat the game but 400/400? No chance. You will fail, I guarantee it. I dare you to prove me wrong.
HotSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #77
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
I created an account just to tell you how stupid you are. This is both one of the hardest and one of the best games I've played in a long time. This is like original Adventure Island hard. It is random but no matter what you HAVE to have skills or you're dead. The demo is free (not that $15 is a lot unless you're a bum) and has the first four levels. See how long it takes you to beat it. Maybe eventually you can beat the game but 400/400? No chance. You will fail, I guarantee it. I dare you to prove me wrong.
No need to call me names, lets have a good discussion here. I would d-load the demo but i have no space on my hard drive (only a 20GB HD). The next time i go to a friends i'll get the trial. As for the money issue, i have enough obviously but i wont spend 1200 on a game unless i really like it.

you're acting like 400/400 is very hard, maybe it's because you're not good at the game?

Again i'm NOT bashing the game, just voicing my opinion.

Jakez123 > Dirty130

Last edited by Jakez123; 07-17-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #78
AltarofPlagues

When you have played it, then you can talk about brag about how easy you managed to 400/400 it. Until then perhaps you should leave out. why dont you just delete something you are not currently playing and try the game considering you havnt actually played it.

Last edited by AltarofPlagues; 07-17-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #79
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Quote:
When you have played it, then you can talk about brag about how easy you managed to 400/400 it. Until then perhaps you should leave out. why dont you just delete something you are not currently playing and try the game considering you havnt actually played it.
Hmmm, i'll see if I have anything to delete. I'll definitely try it though, I tend to like hard games and because everyone is telling me it's very hard i'm very inclined to get it now.

Jakez123 > Dirty130
Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #80
ChArG1nMaLAZ0R

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
i wouldn't say the 400 is unobtainably hard. but it will take alot of practice.
AVP

Arcade Games Boosting
splosion man
metal slug 3 & dx
ChArG1nMaLAZ0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #81
AltarofPlagues

Quote:
Hmmm, i'll see if I have anything to delete. I'll definitely try it though, I tend to like hard games and because everyone is telling me it's very hard i'm very inclined to get it now.
I have died 1272 times, and I have not beaten the game. But I think I just suck at it. I tend to rush I think.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #82
AltarofPlagues

ive also just broken a controller. so yeah. its not always fun.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #83
swirlymanx

A Veteran Gamer's Gamercard
Yeah this game is very fun but unforgiving. This random generating levels is a whole new difficulty. At times it seems like you HAVE to take damage. It really sucks when you have to fall and there’s spikes at the bottom. Spikes shouldn’t kill you in one hit.

And about the glitches and the game “dicking/cheating” around, the only thing I think is messed up is the stupid shop keepers. What the hell is their problem? I've noticed the shop keepers (very commonly) tend to freak out and start blasting the bottom of the map even though I'm like a mile away. Not only does it ruin my opportunity to buy something, but it also usually gets me killed because he eventually gets stuck down near the exit.... One time I even bought an item from him, left the shop with my present, opened it and he got set off for no reason. It's also stupid how enemies can make him go crack head on you, he's like a mile away and he even says “you'll pay for your crimes!” …. WTF!? What crimes?

Anyways I have a question about Co-op, does everyone in the game get the achievements? For example my friend wants to play with me and let's say he gets 4 dames and I get 6 do we both get the achievement? Or what if one of us gets all 10 dames does both of us get the achievement? I'm just wondering because I won't want to do all of the achievements twice, when instead we could just do it once on our own. Thanks
swirlymanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:19 AM   #84
Scottcool

scottcool2's Gamercard
Quote:
ive also just broken a controller. so yeah. its not always fun.
I've seen a few of your posts about and would like to suggest some tips for olmec if the game graces you with his presence. I am assuming that you are trying to do it the fast way as displayed in the speed run video, this way is fast but is also temperamental. You can however adopt 2 different approaches,

firstly you can just dig a hole using bombs, you must have between 15-20 bombs however but by luring olmec to 1 side then quickly running to the other you can just freeze him off screen while you dig your hole, then lead him in, voilą. This method means no enemies to fight at all and you only need to run under olmec once at the beginning (or not at all if you have a jet pack).

Secondly if you have low bombs then you can take your time and use olmec to dig a staircase down to the lava. You need to keep an eye out for when he smashes blocks with treasure in as that is when enemies will spawn (if you don't have sunglasses/udjat eye then this can happen randomly as the secret gems spawn enemies), so use the before mentioned freeze olmec off screen technique and deal with them sensibly then start digging with olmec again when its clear. This way is laborious but is a lot more consistent as you have room to deal with the bad guys. Finally if you have managed to get the kapala on route you can constantly build your health up from collecting all the blood from the many enemies you will kill.

Hope you can take something from this.

Last edited by Scottcool; 07-18-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #85
Scottcool

scottcool2's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlymanx View Post
I have a question about Co-op, does everyone in the game get the achievements? For example my friend wants to play with me and let's say he gets 4 dames and I get 6 do we both get the achievement? Or what if one of us gets all 10 dames does both of us get the achievement? I'm just wondering because I won't want to do all of the achievements twice, when instead we could just do it once on our own. Thanks
Firstly the journal only fills for the main profile so that can't be done and so only the main profile can unlock new characters so strike that off also. I can't confirm shopkeepers or damsels but i would think you would get it probably if you personally got the desired amount but not for both (only speculation).
I also can't confirm Speedlunky, Low Scorer or Big Money but can't see why they wouldn't be shared. All the rest i can say will unlock for both.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #86
GSpot84

Send a message via AIM to GSpot84

BSpot84's Gamercard
Quote:

There might be 1 or 2 people in the world that have this game 400/400 and even that I'm not sure of. Very easily could be 0 and in the next few months I can't imagine more than 15 or so people even getting close.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #87
Scottcool

scottcool2's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpot84 View Post
There might be 1 or 2 people in the world that have this game 400/400 and even that I'm not sure of. Very easily could be 0 and in the next few months I can't imagine more than 15 or so people even getting close.
I agree that this game is very hard but it isn't quite that hard. I have three achievements left to get and hope to get them in the next few days, the numbers of people with it maxed are low currently but it has only been out a fortnight and there are many different achievements requiring many different runs with different goals. You would have to have a lot of time on your hands or a lot of luck/skill to have it maxed already
Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #88
Jakez123

Jakez123's Gamercard

Quote:
Yea that's because the game is fairly new, give it time and it'll get higher.

Jakez123 > Dirty130
Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #89
sepulturas666

Finally got the ''Speedlunky'' achievement - 6:34 (would have been faster, but i wanted to get my time in the Temple ^^). Also had a great money run and ended with 408k in City of Gold. I have 12 more bombs, so that would be enough to get tons of gold there. However, got killed by one of these magma Guys, which pop-up from the lava.

Killing every shopkeeper and cleaning the Black Market nets you tons of bombs. After market i had over 79. :0

edit: Make another run - 445k and i even lost my chance to reach City of Gold (scepter got destroyed by one trap :0). I'm almost there.

Last edited by sepulturas666; 07-18-2012 at 05:40 PM.
sepulturas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #90
SnapDragon

Quote:
There are 4 of us on http://www.trueachievements.com/100c...px?gameid=4403 so far. You could probably find a few more if you checked the leaderboards (looking at people with more than $500k). The achievements do seem utterly impossible when you start out, but they can be done. A few weeks of constant practice will do wonders.

Mind you, half the reason there are so "many" completions is because the game is such addictive fun. If a lesser game were this hard, you might not see any at all.

There are a few XBLA games that are tougher completions. Robotron, Battlezone, and Asteroids come to mind. But out of the 396 I've managed to complete, this one is probably the hardest. That ought to tell you something... And Jakez, that's why we're scoffing at your overconfidence.
SnapDragon is offline   Reply With Quote