PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Puzzle and Word > Spelunky
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #31
The Hypnotoad

Lol Wut Pear's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic 17 View Post
how exactly do you go about getting a guide stickied when it is only like 5% completed and has no real useful content? haha
Dont want to sound harsh but I agree with this.

Its been stickied and the only info the actual guide has is for the acheivements that you get if you complete the game.

Anyway back on topic - Does the giant head in the Ice Levels do anything?

100% Retail
Ashes Cricket, Megadrive Classics, Avatar, Madden 06, FNR 3, NBA 2K6, Cloudy, PDC Pro tour, Sleeping Dogs, SR:IV
100% XBLA
Uno, 3 on 3 NHL, DOD, DR2:C0, Sonic&knuckles, Portal:SA, Monkey Island SE, SVC: Alex Kidd, Minecraft, State Of Decay, Crash Course 2, Awesomnauts
Working On
Portal 2, Cloudberry Kingdom
The Hypnotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #32
VixyNyan

Send a message via AIM to VixyNyan Send a message via MSN to VixyNyan Send a message via Skype™ to VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Yes, if you have the Ankh that you find in the Black Market (in Area 2 Jungle), you can commit suicide in that level (preferably landing on the Moai head from a high spot), the Ankh will revive you and you will be put inside the Moai head, which will give you a Hedjet, and it's an important item for entering the City of Gold (with other item requirements being the Udjat Eye from Area 1 Mines and the Scepter from the Anubis in Area 4 Temple).

VixyNyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #33
BanditBanks

BanditBanks's Gamercard
Anybody got any tips on how to get 500,000 gold? I got to 5-4 and was in the middle of getting the pillar of jewels above the entrance but I got too greedy and ended up impaled on a wall
Even then, my score was only around 250K.

I seem to have more luck getting no gold, just managed to do the 'No gold' run.
Getting the Udjat Eye is a MUST if you plan on blowing up walls to get to the end quicker, so you know what walls have no treasures in them.

Especially in the Olmec fight.
Luring him to one side so you can scope out the other side, seeing which part of the ground has no treasure in it.
If at all possible, make your own hole for him to fall in, I went through around 15 bombs (Including some from the random chests in the upper area) to make sure I could clear the area of all unwanted treasures.
BanditBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #34
VixyNyan

Send a message via AIM to VixyNyan Send a message via MSN to VixyNyan Send a message via Skype™ to VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

http://spelunky.wikia.com/wiki/Ghostrunning

Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #35
AltarofPlagues

AltarofPlagues's Gamercard
im waiting for whoever is a better gamer than me to write this guide. I have no idea what the ankh is, how to get to the city of gold, how to get to hell, how to find all 8 hidden characters, and generally, how to find most of the secrets. I managed to carry a gold key to unlock the temple shortcut but man, I get owned in the temples and then I cant beat the last boss. Ive died over 800 times and I have not yet completed the game. either im shit, or im doing something wrong, or I just dont have much luck.
AltarofPlagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #36
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarofPlagues View Post
im waiting for whoever is a better gamer than me to write this guide. I have no idea what the ankh is, how to get to the city of gold, how to get to hell, how to find all 8 hidden characters, and generally, how to find most of the secrets. I managed to carry a gold key to unlock the temple shortcut but man, I get owned in the temples and then I cant beat the last boss. Ive died over 800 times and I have not yet completed the game. either im shit, or im doing something wrong, or I just dont have much luck.
I'm sorry I haven't finished much of the guide. I just added the guide for the Ankh achievement, and I'm working on more now. You can see a guide for all of the hidden characters already completed as well.

And no, you're not shit, it's just hard.

I like bitching threads.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #37
AltarofPlagues

im laggin behind on the leaderboards, but tonight, I unlocked super meat boy and the guy in black! beat Olmec then fell in the lava so it didnt count...lame.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #38
impatientiain

xxCYB3RSN1PAxx's Gamercard
I wish there was some more YouTube clips with some different methods on how to beat Olmec,the one up there for Xbox looks easy,but every time I try it I fail,god this game is hard but really addictive
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #39
Stiqe

Send a message via AIM to Stiqe

Stiqe's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Of course, you can take it and change it up however you want. Maybe you could just copy and paste it to TA yourself, I don't really know how/want to get into that to be honest. Got enough to do, you know.

Take whatever you need, and I'll be thankful to use anything you've given. It's a win/win for anyone looking for help with the game.
Agreed! My leave of absence just ran out, thus I'll be a little more tied up as well, but I'm absolutely here to help. (x

+with your permission like that, I'm sure I'll be able to work something out. It's a bit silly and there's a few hoops to jump through but I'll go ahead and get it sorted. Much appreciated!

When I get back tonight I'll do some serious work on this thing.
Stiqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #40
Rohsiph

Quote:
When the first 'near complete' version released (I want to say .91?) I sunk a month into trying to beat it. I finally made it right around 1,000 runs. Got one room into the city of gold and died, and moved on. I'm hoping the lessons I learned from the PC version will help me check off more achievements than most, but I won't be crushed if there are a few that are beyond me. This is a terrifyingly difficult game--which is a huge part of what makes it so great
Rohsiph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #41
jollygoodfellowz

xX Jolly's Gamercard
I have a video outlining a plan for a speed run you can find it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcpeooFhZLo
jollygoodfellowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #42
The Hypnotoad

Lol Wut Pear's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygoodfellowz View Post
I have a video outlining a plan for a speed run you can find it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcpeooFhZLo
Thats a really good video mate. I think the trick to it is making sure you get the right items early on (Compass, Gloves, Cape)

Liked your shop keeper video as well

100% Retail
Ashes Cricket, Megadrive Classics, Avatar, Madden 06, FNR 3, NBA 2K6, Cloudy, PDC Pro tour, Sleeping Dogs, SR:IV
100% XBLA
Uno, 3 on 3 NHL, DOD, DR2:C0, Sonic&knuckles, Portal:SA, Monkey Island SE, SVC: Alex Kidd, Minecraft, State Of Decay, Crash Course 2, Awesomnauts
Working On
Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #43
The Hypnotoad

Lol Wut Pear's Gamercard
Ive not got the Achievement but for Casanova - 10 Id say

The easiest way to get this is to make sure you get every
damsel from the Mines and Ice worlds so you only have to get 2 from the jungle. Those are the 2 easiest worlds to get them from and the hardest for them to die.

Mines - Damsells will not die if hit by 1 arrow trap so you can use them to clear the way for you. The only thing to watch out for is spikes.

Jungle - Try get what you can but by far the easiest world to accidently kill them. Tiki traps will kill them instantly, the long spike pits will kill them instantly and exploding frogs will kill them instantly. If you get a "the dead are restless level" though the damsell is usually always in the building where the crystal skull is making it easier to get them.

Ice Caves - Personally I think its the easiest world in the game and the only thing that can stop you from getting the damsells is dropping them or letting them walk off edges. Just make sure you are carrying them and you keep looking down before dropping. Having a compass for this area makes it simple as you dont end up going down the wrong side of the level.

If you havent got 10 from the first 12 levels Id recommend trying again as the Temple is bad enough without having to find
damsels and getting them back alive. You have tikki traps again, spikes, lava all that will kill them instantly.

100% Retail
100% XBLA
Working On
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #44
The Hypnotoad

Lol Wut Pear's Gamercard
Also for the addicted achievement if you want to just do this quickly (although Im already up to 600 deaths) just start a level and press down and B. You will drop a bomb infront of you that will kill you instantly. Rinse and repeat for a few hours and you will get it.

100% Retail
100% XBLA
Working On
Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #45
AltarofPlagues

Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #46
The Hypnotoad

Lol Wut Pear's Gamercard
Quote:
thats the same video as 4 posts above, posted by the author?

100% Retail
100% XBLA
Working On
Old 07-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #47
VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

Since I did unlock Speedlunky long before the video, people have said that you "must" have cape or jetpack to beat it. They DO help and are recommended to have if you are lucky to find them, BUT you CAN do it without them, like I did. My time record (5:46:842) was done with only the compass since I was lucky to find it in a box and then ignored every other obstacle and shop.

What I would recommend if you stumble across dark levels in any run you do, raise the in-game Brightness to the max. You will be able to see a little bit more around your current area and other light places, and you will notice that on a PC Monitor or a HDTV (I didn't test on a normal TV screen). ^^;

Some guidelines I took when doing my run was to "try" to leave Mines under 1:30 (you can be lucky to be under 1:00 as well), 3:00 when leaving the Jungle and 4:30 when leaving the Ice Caves. That way it gives you enough time to be extra careful in the Temple area and also get a under-6-minutes time record. :3

I have 19 of 20 unlocked so far, only Low Scorer left, then I have 400g~ <3

Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #48
Redskinsfan26

Thrashballer's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixyNyan View Post
Since I did unlock Speedlunky long before the video, people have said that you "must" have cape or jetpack to beat it. They DO help and are recommended to have if you are lucky to find them, BUT you CAN do it without them, like I did. My time record (5:46:842) was done with only the compass since I was lucky to find it in a box and then ignored every other obstacle and shop.

What I would recommend if you stumble across dark levels in any run you do, raise the in-game Brightness to the max. You will be able to see a little bit more around your current area and other light places, and you will notice that on a PC Monitor or a HDTV (I didn't test on a normal TV screen). ^^;

Some guidelines I took when doing my run was to "try" to leave Mines under 1:30 (you can be lucky to be under 1:00 as well), 3:00 when leaving the Jungle and 4:30 when leaving the Ice Caves. That way it gives you enough time to be extra careful in the Temple area and also get a under-6-minutes time record. :3

I have 19 of 20 unlocked so far, only Low Scorer left, then I have 400g~ <3
Damn. lol

Good luck with that last one
Redskinsfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #49
VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskinsfan26 View Post
Damn. lol

Good luck with that last one
Thank you for your kind words~ I unlocked it! ( >u<)-b

20/20! 400gs~ Feels so good, meow~!! <3

I took it easy on Olmec, I built a path for him to fall in the lava with bombs, it was the safest way to beat him and not touch any gold. During my run, I was able to find a Compass and get a Cape from the vampire. It all went smooth gliding from there~ ;3

Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #50
Andre Ramses

Last night I finally got Ironman.... But I am having a bad time trying to reach the city of gold!

How am I supposed to kill Anubis and get his scepter, when the game makes me lose my weapon when I have to kill myself in the cave using the Ankh?

Once I managed to get to him with more than 20 bombs and also the "Glue", and exploded the hell of him, but he doesn't die!!!

With the shotgun killing him is easy, but the problem is that he often appears on temple 1, very early, and it is difficult to find a shotgun to buy, or even a shopkeeper to steal

Tips?
Andre Ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #51
VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

I usually stay at a certain length away from him. Most of the time he appears in the bottom corners of the screen, shooting the pink rings at you. I throw one bomb to create a path so you can attack him. For quick kill, I throw two bombs at him so they stick to his body. Don't wait many seconds to throw the second one, throw both bombs quickly at him. When one bomb explodes, stuck to his body, the second one will blow up right after, and it will be enough to pick up the Scepter.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #52
Andre Ramses

Quote:
I usually stay at a certain length away from him. Most of the time he appears in the bottom corners of the screen, shooting the pink rings at you. I throw one bomb to create a path so you can attack him. For quick kill, I throw two bombs at him so they stick to his body. Don't wait many seconds to throw the second one, throw both bombs quickly at him. When one bomb explodes, stuck to his body, the second one will blow up right after, and it will be enough to pick up the Scepter.
Oh thanks! So it is possible to kill him with sticky bombs?

I am sure i threw more than 10! But usually i wait before each one explode, to threw another one

That was an awesome run i had, hope i can manage another soon
Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #53
VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

As long as two bombs stick on him, he will die. The trick is to simply throw a sticky bomb one after another, don't throw them both in microseconds, give "at least" a 0.50 (or more) second interval between each throw. If both bombs attach to him, he's already dead, make sure that both explosions of the bomb hits him. :3

Last edited by VixyNyan; 07-15-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #54
Andre Ramses

Quote:
As long as two bombs stick on him, he will die. The trick is to simply throw a sticky bomb one after another, don't throw them both in microseconds, give "at least" a 0.50 (or more) second interval between each throw. If both bombs attach to him, he's already dead, make sure that both explosions of the bomb hits him. :3
Ok! Now at least it sounds possible :P Having to find a shotgun in the Cave or in the Temple would be a pain! And I usually try do avoid angering the shopkeepers :P
Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #55
I CR0W I

I CR0W I's Gamercard
Quote:
Page doesn't mention anything about it but try using the camera on the ghost. It seems like it would help with this.
DORITOS DASH OF DESTRUCTION

I AM GR8 @ GAEMS
I CR0W I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #56
Andre Ramses

Quote:
Coming back just to say it worked! Thanks so much!

Anyway, it is really strange that he doesnt die when you wait for each bomb to explode O_o

I had an awesome run, even had the jetpack bought... killed the Anubis, had more than 10 bombs left... and reached the City of Gold... but i think i was so happy that i even forgot to get the book to reach Hell

Now i have to do everything again :P This game is awesome, right now it is my Game of the Year, seriously.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #57
SnapDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Ramses View Post
Anyway, it is really strange that he doesnt die when you wait for each bomb to explode O_o
That's odd... maybe you just hit a bug? He always dies after two bombs for me, regardless of how long I wait in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Ramses View Post
Now i have to do everything again :P This game is awesome, right now it is my Game of the Year, seriously.
Agreed!
SnapDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #58
VixyNyan

VixyNyan's Gamercard

I agree with both of you~ <3

I played the game pretty much everyday since the release and I was happy when I unlocked everything. It was a satisfying experience. :3

Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #59
AltarofPlagues

Perhaps im just rubbish at this but I still havnt beaten Olmec even once. nor been able to run through the whole game. ive died 1200 times now. I can manage to get reasonably far, the cape works well for me I find, if I get it early enough.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #60
Spock

N7 Spock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Only 2 more days of this damn online course. The guide will be taking my attention as soon as I'm done with that.

I like bitching threads.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote