PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > General Entertainment
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
jsbill

Dragonball/Z/GT

Found it surprising there wasn't a thread about this already.

So I know there are a bunch of DBZ fans out there, discuss your favourite characters and sagas here!

I'm watching all of Dragonball right now, on the second World Tournament where they meet Tien(well Goku meets him once earlier). It is weird how all of Goku's friends were enemies at first.

So after watching most of Dragonball, and I've seen all of DBZ years ago, I can say I definitely prefer Dragonball. It is a better written show(better comedy, better storylines, etc) and lets you connect with the characters more. DBZ is way more badass with the moves and cliff-hanger endings, but I find it is a little over-the-top and lots of parts drag on forever. Dragonball is kind of the opposite, as almost no fights last more than half an episode(as opposed to Goku vs Frieza lasting like 10). This is kind of annoying but I'd rather the fight be a little short then go on for so long I literally want it to end.
jsbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I liked DBZ through the Frieza Saga through to the cell saga. Favorite episodes were the ones where Goku transports exploding cell and Gohan defeating cell with one arm. I only like the episodes with the english soundtrack though because the japanese one seems generic and unsuspenseful. I didn't really care for the the balls after they found the namek ones and could bring people back multiple times. From the on I really didn't give a crap when anyone died.
I hated how they drug stuff out also and thought I might like Kai but they ended up cutting too many of the scenes I liked on it so I stopped watching.
I thought DB was ok. Nothing that I'd watch over again but when he was older for the tournament was good.
Hated DBGT or what I have seen of it which is about 10 episodes. I try to watch it but don't care animation style and hate the music. I have attempted to watch it about 3 times and get 2-3 episodes though and get bored and move on to something else.
Favorite characters were Gohan, Trunks, and Perfect Cell.

Last edited by sleepydumbdude; 07-16-2012 at 04:05 PM.
sleepydumbdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
hydrosugar

xFightingSaintx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbill View Post
Found it surprising there wasn't a thread about this already.

So I know there are a bunch of DBZ fans out there, discuss your favourite characters and sagas here!

I'm watching all of Dragonball right now, on the second World Tournament where they meet Tien(well Goku meets him once earlier). It is weird how all of Goku's friends were enemies at first.

So after watching most of Dragonball, and I've seen all of DBZ years ago, I can say I definitely prefer Dragonball. It is a better written show(better comedy, better storylines, etc) and lets you connect with the characters more. DBZ is way more badass with the moves and cliff-hanger endings, but I find it is a little over-the-top and lots of parts drag on forever. Dragonball is kind of the opposite, as almost no fights last more than half an episode(as opposed to Goku vs Frieza lasting like 10). This is kind of annoying but I'd rather the fight be a little short then go on for so long I literally want it to end.
I like you already.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
HTownBoi

HTownBoi's Gamercard
Love me some DBZ, favorite saga is probably all the android/cell sagas. I enjoyed the first Buu season, but once it got into fusions and SS3 it was a bit much.

4000th- Bossk, defeat 200 wookies, Force Unleashed
5000th-Just Saying Hi, Farted on every buddy in the game, South Park: TSOT
HTownBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Akuza

Akuza89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
People will say dragonball is their favourite because it "has more of a story" and the other two series where just all about "RAWWRGGGHHHH"

Which is about right to frank haha

Dragonball was a great series, but I prefer DBZ before everyone was a super saiyan ... If they left it at just goku and vegeta it would have been great... But they overkilled it..
YU-GI-OH Arc V
Akame Ga Kill!
Sword Art Online II
Old 07-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
hydrosugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuza View Post
People will say dragonball is their favourite because it "has more of a story" and the other two series where just all about "RAWWRGGGHHHH"

Which is about right to frank haha

Dragonball was a great series, but I prefer DBZ before everyone was a super saiyan ... If they left it at just goku and vegeta it would have been great... But they overkilled it..
I think DBZ has a good story too, or at least an entertaining one. Even if you take the nostalgia goggles off, the Namek saga still holds up. It's just the final fight was too long. Same with the Androids/Cell saga. Both times I enjoyed the start and middle of each saga more than the end. As for the Buu saga, well just fuck the Buu saga.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
EliteShadowMan

EliteShadowMan's Gamercard

I've seen a lot of Dragon Ball, and i'd have to say that the show's pretty damn boring. When i say a lot i mean at least 100 episodes. When does it get good?

Haha just kidding. Only just started DB, and i'm only on episode 4. It's ok so far from what i've seen.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
hydrosugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteShadowMan View Post
I've seen a lot of Dragon Ball, and i'd have to say that the show's pretty damn boring. When i say a lot i mean at least 100 episodes. When does it get good?

Haha just kidding. Only just started DB, and i'm only on episode 4. It's ok so far from what i've seen.
Watch it subbed and it'll rock your socks off.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
EliteShadowMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrosugar View Post
Watch it subbed and it'll rock your socks off.
Ok i'll watch it subbed. But i'll get a German Dubbed version of it.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
DBZ for me, as it's the one I grew up. Favourite saga for me would be the Android/Cell lot. I think Gohan kicking ass just looks awesome.

I do agree on your statement though about Dragonball and it is a good series but totally different, so I don't like to compare. GT though I never got into or watched, so I kind of gave up on it.

Still til this day for me, hands down, the best episode/screen is Goku raging out and turning Super Saiyan! I still remember watching that when I was your and the chills it gave me, lol.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
hydrosugar

Quote:
It would be pretty funny if you had an easier time finding it in German than in Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozza x360a View Post
Still til this day for me, hands down, the best episode/screen is Goku raging out and turning Super Saiyan! I still remember watching that when I was your and the chills it gave me, lol.
That's my fav DBZ scene too. And it's part of the reason why the Freiza saga would have been a good end for DBZ. The Super Sayain was still a thing of legend at that point. However I do accept the Cell saga as a good conclusion too, with the torch being passed from father to son. Also I wouldn't worry too much about watching GT, nothing special.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
EliteShadowMan

Quote:
It would be pretty funny if you had an easier time finding it in German than in Japanese.

That's my fav DBZ scene too. And it's part of the reason why the Freiza saga would have been a good end for DBZ. The Super Sayain was still a thing of legend at that point. However I do accept the Cell saga as a good conclusion too, with the torch being passed from father to son. Also I wouldn't worry too much about watching GT, nothing special.
Plus you gotta admit that DBZ and DB would be badass in german haha. Looking at the top of my screen i'm getting an ad for a DBZ Dress up game...wtf?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
Akuza

Akuza89's Gamercard

Quote:
I think DBZ has a good story too, or at least an entertaining one. Even if you take the nostalgia goggles off, the Namek saga still holds up. It's just the final fight was too long. Same with the Androids/Cell saga. Both times I enjoyed the start and middle of each saga more than the end. As for the Buu saga, well just fuck the Buu saga.
My thoughts precisely!

I love DBZ and admittedly I'm glad they've done it in HD now, but I kind of want them to stop around now, just for sheer pointlessness haha
YU-GI-OH Arc V
Akame Ga Kill!
Sword Art Online II
Old 09-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #14
Homaz

Send a message via ICQ to Homaz Send a message via Skype™ to Homaz

A7 Homaz's Gamercard
I love it 10 years ago. But now I just have to laugh...
Episode 1: Talk
Episode 2: Talk
Episode 3: First Attack
Episode 4: End of First Attack
And so on.

Homaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homaz View Post
I love it 10 years ago. But now I just have to laugh...
Episode 1: Talk
Episode 2: Talk
Episode 3: First Attack
Episode 4: End of First Attack
And so on.
They did a lot of editing in the new version of DBZ, new music and stuff too so it's basically a new show. I still prefer the old version though.

(^Literally the coolest part of SWTOR)
Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
MoJo4YoMoMa

MoJo4YoMoMa's Gamercard
Dbz for sure only because of majin vegeta i didnt like the buu saga but love him and that character. i even tattooed that "M" on my back
Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Jashin123

Jashin123's Gamercard
Quote:
Since I watched DB in german I don't get it why you want to watch it in german (Spongebob = Vegeta)
Jashin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Are you saying Frieza vs Goku wasn't the best fight of all time?
It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you?

Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
Akuza

Akuza89's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post
Are you saying Frieza vs Goku wasn't the best fight of all time?
from my understanding i believe the first voice japanese to english translation of the "big" fight - where goku becomes a super saiyan for the first time (in front of everyone) - has an awful fail translation part where goku says something like "frieza im gonna eat you so hard for what you've done to this planet" ... gonna try and find a video of it - for that and that alone. it is pure brilliance.

but personally i think the cell saga was great - i think the cell saga was just before just about everyone became a super saiyan haha
YU-GI-OH Arc V
Akame Ga Kill!
Sword Art Online II
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
N7 Shadow

N7 Shadow x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   x360a Representer   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuza View Post
but personally i think the cell saga was great - i think the cell saga was just before just about everyone became a super saiyan haha
Reminds me of when Vegeta sees Trunks go Super Saiyan the first time.

"When was it that the transformation to the legendary warrior of the Saiyan race was reduced to a child's play thing." Haha

"And in the end, as the darkness takes me....I am nothing. Now I know how you felt, my friend...."
N7 Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Drewdude1023

Drewdude1023's Gamercard
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Garlic Jr. Saga yet. Super short compared to the other one, but no Goku!!! Kinda weird but still beats GT
Drewdude1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #22
Takamura Bear

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdude1023 View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Garlic Jr. Saga yet. Super short compared to the other one, but no Goku!!! Kinda weird but still beats GT
Primarily because it was a filler arc (i.e non canon to the manga) and was hated by a lot of fans. I actually thought there were some good moments here and there. It's the arc no one really cared for, really. A lot of stuff from the anime is filler, though. Like Goku and Piccolo taking driving lessons; T_T

And as to which is the greatest fight in the series is a tough one to pick. A lot of folks will say the battle with Freiza, but I think people remember Goku's SSJ transformation more than anything else and that contributes to their decision most often. I thought Goku's fights with Cell and Kid Boo were just as good if not better in the anime.

But Goku vs. Vegeta 1 was more historically important for the series than any other fight. When you mention greatest anime rivalries, those two are usually the first that come to mind and THAT is the one fight everyone remembers first. It was a fantastic fight and Goku has never been dominated and brutalized as bad as that ever in the series by anyone else compared to what Vegeta did to him.

Although I would say the original Dragonball is the best out of the bunch. There was a much larger emphasis on martial arts, actual technique, and comedy rather than the repetitive arc structures, power beams and planet busters of DBZ. Jackie Chun vs. Goku was the fucking shit.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #23
hydrosugar

The best fight in the series, perhaps ever, is clearly Goku vs Murasaki in the General White saga of Dragonball.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #24
BooseyGirl
Banned User

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I'll only watch the original Japanese versions of each one. The Dubbed versions are terrible, not only Character wise, but they leave out SO much dialogue it's a crime.

Not to mention, the Americanized version cuts out a good chunk of each episode because what we deem as inapproriate here in the States, is normal for the Japanese. For instance, there was an episode of Dragonball where Goku was laying on Bulma and wondering where "her bulge" was, like his Grandfather Gohan's. Then he starts to poke around, Bulma wakes up, you get the gist of it. That piece of hilarious comedy was left out.

Now that I'm off of my soap-box, my favorite character in the series is Goku (obviously) and one of my favorite fight scenes is the first fight between Goku and Vegeta. Classic, so classic. I love Dragonball Z
BooseyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
Dexperia

Dexperia's Gamercard
To be honest, I think they should have ended the series at the end of the cell saga.

I didn't really like the buu saga too much, it was pretty pointless. After the cell saga, nobody ever stood a chance of ever becoming as strong as Goku or Vegeta, it would have been pointless for anyone to even attempt to try.

Gohan became far too nerdy, what happened to the little kid that would kick ass when he gets angry.

Don't get me started on GT, I refuse to accept GT as a sequel to this very day. I honestly don't know what Akira Toriyama was thinking when he put that in to production and then had the nerve to say it should be considered the ending to the whole story. GT was all about Goku, nobody could compare to his strength, even Vegeta couldn't keep up anymore.

Vegeta became far too friendly, he needed to be as ruthless as he was in the Saiyan/Frieza sagas.

If Akira Toriyama decides to make an actual series in between Z and GT, then I would consider watching it, but as far as I know, the only thing now is the Movie next year that takes place within the 10 years directly after the buu saga.
Dexperia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #26
Jakez123
Steins;Jake

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Quote:
the Namek saga still holds up. It's just the final fight was too long.
Goku, you have 5 minutes before the planet blows up. *279 24 minute episodes later* Goku, you have 1 minute left to escape.
Jesus, some of you guys fold like a card table at the slightest whim of a challenge.
Jakez123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #27
BOXMAN 0360

BOXMAN 0360's Gamercard
In the buu saga wasn't gohan strong enough to kill super buu. It's been so long I can't remember but I remember every time someone had a chance to kill buu they would toy around with him. Also ultimate gohan comes in with an awesome entrance like "fight you I'm going to kill you" and then he struggles for like 30 something episodes. Dbz logic. Does anyone like how long they drag out the fights too?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #28
hydrosugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexperia View Post
To be honest, I think they should have ended the series at the end of the cell saga.

I didn't really like the buu saga too much, it was pretty pointless. After the cell saga, nobody ever stood a chance of ever becoming as strong as Goku or Vegeta, it would have been pointless for anyone to even attempt to try.

Gohan became far too nerdy, what happened to the little kid that would kick ass when he gets angry.

Don't get me started on GT, I refuse to accept GT as a sequel to this very day. I honestly don't know what Akira Toriyama was thinking when he put that in to production and then had the nerve to say it should be considered the ending to the whole story. GT was all about Goku, nobody could compare to his strength, even Vegeta couldn't keep up anymore.

Vegeta became far too friendly, he needed to be as ruthless as he was in the Saiyan/Frieza sagas.

If Akira Toriyama decides to make an actual series in between Z and GT, then I would consider watching it, but as far as I know, the only thing now is the Movie next year that takes place within the 10 years directly after the buu saga.
DB Kai stops at the Cell saga. Drops the filler as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez123 View Post
Goku, you have 5 minutes before the planet blows up. *279 24 minute episodes later* Goku, you have 1 minute left to escape.
Yeah, talk about a shitty concept of time. Though again, Kai is a little better in this regard too. (But not perfect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXMAN 0360 View Post
In the buu saga wasn't gohan strong enough to kill super buu. It's been so long I can't remember but I remember every time someone had a chance to kill buu they would toy around with him. Also ultimate gohan comes in with an awesome entrance like "fight you I'm going to kill you" and then he struggles for like 30 something episodes. Dbz logic. Does anyone like how long they drag out the fights too?
He didn't struggle against Super Buu. He was stomping him. But the show had Buu absorb Gotenks and Piccolo, becoming stronger than Gohan. Then absorbing Gohan when Gotenks fusion timed out. Also on this note, just in case the anime mislead anyone, Gohan Buu is FAR stronger than Kid Buu. Hell, Ultimate Gohan himself is stronger than Kid Buu.

Last edited by hydrosugar; 11-27-2012 at 10:03 AM.
hydrosugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #29
Jakez123
Steins;Jake

Jakez123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Free Agents - First Place   Community Gaming - Bronze   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Winner
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Quote:
Yeah, talk about a shitty concept of time. Though again, Kai is a little better in this regard too. (But not perfect).
Yea, I heard they cut out a lot of the fight scenes (you know the scenes which just dragged it on).
Jesus, some of you guys fold like a card table at the slightest whim of a challenge.
Jakez123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #30
Nosey T

Nosey Tangent's Gamercard
DBZ, good times, good times. I've never seen the other series' but super sayans, Goku and that freaking long snake way, the green guys. It was a soap opera for kids.
Nosey T is offline   Reply With Quote