PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Minecraft
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
BIG L RETURNS
 
BIG L RETURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 288

BIG L RETURNS's Gamercard
Minecraft Controls: Xbox vs PC

Hey guys,

So far I've loved playing Minecraft on the Xbox, but I was wondering how the PC controls handle compared to the PC or Mac versions.

Is it easier to control on the Xbox or on the Computer?
__________________



BIG L RETURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
the real a 0bsolete
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 488

A 0bsolete's Gamercard
IMO games are always easier to control on the computer
__________________
Seriously 1, 2, & 3 !!!
the real a 0bsolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
LordDVS
 
LordDVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 606

Bac0n Gamer's Gamercard
Keyboard n mouse always offer more control, but it's awkward if you are a console-only player. Some people have no issues with kb/m, others just feel more comfortable with hands wrapped around a controller.

I won't lie, it's one of the reasons I like the 360 Edition so much. The PC is a far superior game, but in the end it all comes down to personal preference.
__________________
LordDVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
DragonsGoMOO
 
DragonsGoMOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,492

dragonsgomoo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'm a console guy. I play computer games, but only like from websites, like Kongregate, AddictingGames.

Not big games, so it'd probably be really weird for me at first. I'm more comfortable with a controller. I make too many typos, it will bite me in the ass.
__________________
I am undercover as a deaf person.

DragonsGoMOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Burnout x360a
 
Burnout x360a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,478

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I make more mistakes on the 360 version of Minecraft because the analogues aren't as precise as a mouse.
__________________


^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Rusty Knight 07
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 178

Rusty Knight 07's Gamercard
Personally the PC controls are terrible in comparison with the Xbox version.

I've died more times in the PC version from falling because the conrols are terrible, on the Xbox you tap the stick and move slightly, on the PC you tap the "W" key and move too far and fall to your death.

I was going to get an Xbox controller for the PC but decided it wasn't worth spending more than the game cost just to play it.
Rusty Knight 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Burnout x360a
 
Burnout x360a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,478

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Knight 07 View Post
Personally the PC controls are terrible in comparison with the Xbox version.

I've died more times in the PC version from falling because the conrols are terrible, on the Xbox you tap the stick and move slightly, on the PC you tap the "W" key and move too far and fall to your death.

I was going to get an Xbox controller for the PC but decided it wasn't worth spending more than the game cost just to play it.
Well that's obvious because an analogue stick offers gradual movement opposed to a button on a keyboard that's either on or off.

I guess it depends which version you play first, if I played Xbox first I'd have preferred the controller I reckon.
__________________


^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
CHIRUNO99
 
CHIRUNO99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,286

chiruno99's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
It's a preference thing. Some people prefer PC controls, and others Xbox, but the simple fact of the matter is they're always batter in First Person games. I wouldn't go flat out to say Mincraft on the PC rips apart the X360 version since I like them both equally.

The PC version being open source, having the mouse for more precise building, better inventory management, modability, servers and custom skins makes it good, but I still like the X360 version for the much easier world sharing with friends making it way easier to play with them. Of course on the PC version your movement is limited to on or off, whereas using a stick you can walk slower, whether or not that's useful is up to you.
__________________


Damn I'm so depressed.

Last edited by CHIRUNO99; 07-25-2012 at 10:17 AM.
CHIRUNO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
JORDAN K 95
 
JORDAN K 95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chester, England, U.K
Posts: 4,000
Send a message via Skype™ to JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
pc.

its so much easier to move items around in the inventory, compared to xbox, slow using d-pad or tricky using the thumbsticks
__________________

Thanks for the sig Gackt



BF4 RANK:
JORDAN K 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
SuperJoon
 
SuperJoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 336

SuperJoon's Gamercard
Does anyone use a controller for the PC version?

Going to be getting it when I get paid next week, and feel a controller would best suit me as I'm not used to keyboard and mouse, plus I have a laptop....
__________________
SuperJoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
CHIRUNO99
 
CHIRUNO99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,286

chiruno99's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
It doesn't have direct Joypad support but you can use a program like JoyToKey to play with it using a pad. I haven't tried it yet but it'll probably work fine.
__________________


Damn I'm so depressed.
CHIRUNO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Burnout x360a
 
Burnout x360a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,478

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJoon View Post
Does anyone use a controller for the PC version?

Going to be getting it when I get paid next week, and feel a controller would best suit me as I'm not used to keyboard and mouse, plus I have a laptop....
It doesn't have native support but there are programs that allow you to use the controller. Not sure how well crafting works with a controller on PC though.
__________________


^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
CHIRUNO99
 
CHIRUNO99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,286

chiruno99's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Not sure how well crafting works with a controller on PC though.
If you'd be using JoyToKey as I've already suggested, it'd probably be a nightmare.
__________________


Damn I'm so depressed.
CHIRUNO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Burnout x360a
 
Burnout x360a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,478

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIRUNO99 View Post
If you'd be using JoyToKey as I've already suggested, it'd probably be a nightmare.
I've never touched a controller for a PC game but I can definitely see the current interface being a slight pain. Not awful but the analogue sticks are inaccurate.
__________________


^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
nastymastadaddy
 
nastymastadaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: east coast usa
Posts: 401

NastyMastaDaddy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
LOL On the pc version I always used a xbox controller so I would say the controls for me are the same.
__________________

nastymastadaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
Pooly93
 
Pooly93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 406

Pewleh's Gamercard
I didn't mind the PC controls but being a bigger console gamer I find that the Xbox controls work easier for me, easier to move and place stuff in my opinion.
__________________

Thanks to Xerofox for the sig!
Pooly93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
DecadentBeaver
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 3,223

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Personally, I've always preferred a control pad to mouse/keyboard. I can relax and sit how I want without having to sit in front of a computer.
__________________


Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
JORDAN K 95
 
JORDAN K 95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chester, England, U.K
Posts: 4,000
Send a message via Skype™ to JORDAN K 95

JORDAN K 95's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadentBeaver View Post
Personally, I've always preferred a control pad to mouse/keyboard. I can relax and sit how I want without having to sit in front of a computer.
agreed, this is the thing i hate about pc gaming, i like to sit back on a sofa, not sat forward on an office chair with my arms stretched out on a keyboard and mouse.
__________________

Thanks for the sig Gackt



BF4 RANK:
JORDAN K 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
d0ct0rscarecr0w
 
d0ct0rscarecr0w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,620

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
the most relaxing system to play has to be the Wii (assuming you aren't doing something that requires a lot of motion control).

Its the only system where I can play play left-handed with one hand behind my back as I'm sprawled across the couch.
__________________
If I ever wrote a long statement and you think it's too long just read the last paragraph, it's usually my tl;dr paragraph.
d0ct0rscarecr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #20
JeremyVersion1
 
JeremyVersion1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delfino Island
Posts: 1,954

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ct0rscarecr0w View Post
the most relaxing system to play has to be the Wii (assuming you aren't doing something that requires a lot of motion control).

Its the only system where I can play play left-handed with one hand behind my back as I'm sprawled across the couch.
That's one thing I'll always give the Wii, the right games don't take much to control. Like Mario Galaxy, it's a breeze playing, same with Smackdown Vs. Raw.

As for Minecraft, the Xbox controller is the best way to go. I've watched plenty of videos of people playing the game on the PC, and they always stammer around trying to control their guy with the clunky WASD set up. Xbox controls are nice and smooth, it's defiantly better.
__________________


Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #21
RDrules
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,770

rdisbetterthanu's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
mouse scroll wheel for getting round the hotbar... thats all that needs to be said really.

plus all the controls are completely mapable in game at any point in time so they can be what ever you want them to be..


oh and those using the age old argument that you have to play sat at a desk, your living in the past move your bloody pc to your TV and buy a wireless mouse and keyboard
RDrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #22
ClassicZach
 
ClassicZach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: England
Posts: 104

classiczach's Gamercard
you do get use to using the pc controls but i always do prefer a controller
__________________

20,000 Achieved 12/04/2012 while playing Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary



ClassicZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #23
JeremyVersion1
 
JeremyVersion1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delfino Island
Posts: 1,954

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrules View Post
oh and those using the age old argument that you have to play sat at a desk, your living in the past move your bloody pc to your TV and buy a wireless mouse and keyboard
So you're saying people need to spend a good deal of cash to play Minecraft on a TV, instead of paying twenty bucks for it on an Xbox?
__________________


Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #24
RDrules
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,770

rdisbetterthanu's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyVersion1 View Post
So you're saying people need to spend a good deal of cash to play Minecraft on a TV, instead of paying twenty bucks for it on an Xbox?
umm no.. most people already own a pc

most modern pcs are capable of running minecraft all theyd need to buy would be the cables to hook the PC to the TV and a wireless mouse and keyboard which isnt that much like at all

couple of quid for a VGA cable, a tenner for wireless mouse and keyboard... actually less than getting a wireless controller and HD cables for an Xbox

its just old fashioned thinking that PCs must be played on a desk sat in a desk chair while im actually currently laid on my bed playing on PC
RDrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #25
JeremyVersion1
 
JeremyVersion1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delfino Island
Posts: 1,954

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrules View Post
umm no.. most people already own a pc

most modern pcs are capable of running minecraft all theyd need to buy would be the cables to hook the PC to the TV and a wireless mouse and keyboard which isnt that much like at all

couple of quid for a VGA cable, a tenner for wireless mouse and keyboard... actually less than getting a wireless controller and HD cables for an Xbox

its just old fashioned thinking that PCs must be played on a desk sat in a desk chair while im actually currently laid on my bed playing on PC
Buying the wireless keyboard and mouse is already more then buying the game on the Xbox. On top of buying the mouse, keyboard, cables to hook the PC to the TV, you still have to buy the actual game at what, twenty bucks? So again, you want people to pay out two, three times the amount of money for Minecraft on the PC? That's also if their computer can run Minecraft. I have a two year old laptop and Minecraft CHUUUUUGS like a bitch when I try to play it.

Xbox > PC
__________________


Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #26
RDrules
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,770

rdisbetterthanu's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyVersion1 View Post
Buying the wireless keyboard and mouse is already more then buying the game on the Xbox. On top of buying the mouse, keyboard, cables to hook the PC to the TV, you still have to buy the actual game at what, twenty bucks? So again, you want people to pay out two, three times the amount of money for Minecraft on the PC? That's also if their computer can run Minecraft. I have a two year old laptop and Minecraft CHUUUUUGS like a bitch when I try to play it.

Xbox > PC
no i suggest people pay for these things if they dont like to st in a desk chair to play on a PC

but if you look at the extra costs for the xbox version to like needing to pay for live to play multiplayer and having to pay for your skins in game and texture packs when they come along with god knows what else that is free to pc users... your still better off even before considering 3rd party content


and you have to have upgraded cables to aces local multiplayer on the 360 version to

and making the argument that you own live for more or people already have the hd compatible cables doesnt work since everything extra for your PC isnt for minecraft its for everything.

besides my argument isnt for people getting minecraft its against this stupid notion that pcs are rigid things that need to be played in a certain way, its not true and thinking that way is just old fashioned ways of viewing the technology

but also anyone that wants to argue that a 360 beats a PC in anyway now is fighting a losing battle, like all consoles of this generation it is old and really showing its age any argument for any console over a PC can only be made within the year of its release while its technology is still new else the PC surpasses it in every way and until consoles are up gradable to the same standards a PC is that will always be true

now this isnt PC fanboyism, i love my consoles else i wouldnt be part of a forum like this but it is a cold hard fact that they age rapidly and given the resources a pc will usually pass them shortly after they are released if not before
RDrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #27
JeremyVersion1
 
JeremyVersion1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delfino Island
Posts: 1,954

JeremyVersion1's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrules View Post
no i suggest people pay for these things if they dont like to st in a desk chair to play on a PC

but if you look at the extra costs for the xbox version to like needing to pay for live to play multiplayer
Multiplayer is an option, not a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrules View Post
and having to pay for your skins in game and texture packs when they come along with god knows what else that is free to pc users...
Again, an option, not a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrules View Post
and you have to have upgraded cables to aces local multiplayer on the 360 version to
One last time, an option, not a requirement.

No to get the Minecraft experience, it's infinitely cheaper to get the game on the Xbox 360.

You'll note that I'm not responding to the rest of your post, because the back and forth we have is on Minecraft and which set up is easy/cheaper for gamers.

In this case, Xbox wins.

__________________


Thanks to the great Cpt Slaughter for the VGCE Show Logo!

JeremyVersion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #28
d0ct0rscarecr0w
 
d0ct0rscarecr0w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,620

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I got it on the xbox because my girlfriend likes to use the computer but not really play video games.

I can do either but it would make me a total dick to get it on computer and hog it from her.

oh and don't tell me to buy another computer...
__________________
If I ever wrote a long statement and you think it's too long just read the last paragraph, it's usually my tl;dr paragraph.
d0ct0rscarecr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
RDrules
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,770

rdisbetterthanu's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyVersion1 View Post
Multiplayer is an option, not a requirement.
that is the most pathetic argument ever. because all the same things are an option on the pc... so your argument defeats itself because

Quote:
No to get the Minecraft experience, it's infinitely cheaper to get the game on the Xbox 360.
the xbox version is a stripped down version, thus not the full experience which you will only get on he pc ones

and the reason you ignored the rest of my post is simply because im right you are the one that turned this int something about the xbox actually Vs the PC one all i did was suggest how the pc version can be played in the same comfort as the xbox one and since their is no logical argument that a stripped down version of a game on an inferior machine could ever be better your only way to defend is ignore



though on topic you havent actually said one thing about the controls and my argument against that your argument is on price which while wrong in itself isnt the topic, the topic is the controls and being able to play the 360 version in more comfort isnt an argument for it being better in that department anymore and hasent been for along time, in fact the only one that works here is getting more control from an analog stick which for movement is true but is one pro against many for using a mouse and keyboard.

especially the fact that on a mouse you can use the scroll wheel to get through the hot bar, the one thing that drives me insane on the 360 is having to go through them one at a time >.<
RDrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #30
Burnout x360a
 
Burnout x360a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,478

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyVersion1 View Post
As for Minecraft, the Xbox controller is the best way to go. I've watched plenty of videos of people playing the game on the PC, and they always stammer around trying to control their guy with the clunky WASD set up. Xbox controls are nice and smooth, it's defiantly better.
As for controls I've never had any problem with WASD or the Analogue for moving, analogue is obviously more precise.

The mouse is easier to be precise with than the right analogue stick, I am very poor with the old bow and arrow using the right stick but with the mouse it's so much easier to get on target and be precise placing blocks for me.

Then we get to scrolling on the hotbar, a mousewheel wins that every time for me. The bumpers are definitely slower.

If anyone has used a controller on PC, how is the crafting managed? I can't see how that would be that easy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ct0rscarecr0w View Post
I got it on the xbox because my girlfriend likes to use the computer but not really play video games.

I can do either but it would make me a total dick to get it on computer and hog it from her.

oh and don't tell me to buy another computer...
Buy another computer
__________________


^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 PM.