PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Grand Theft Auto IV
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Jamski

Send a message via MSN to Jamski Send a message via Skype™ to Jamski

jamski07's Gamercard
Question Advice on cheevos and GTA 4 please.

Hello.

Just picked this up and determined not to use a guide or get hung up on cheevos. But I know my OCD side will take over as I constantly wonder what cheevos I'm missing!

I'm more than happy to play through the story, hopefully complete it then use a guide to get things afterwards, but I can't see me playing the story through again.

So I guess my question is how much am I likely to miss, achievement wise, by just simply playing through the game and enjoying it? I'm not expecting to get all the points by any means, but if I'm playing the thing I want to be able to get a decent haul.

Does that make sense? Any advice?

Cheers,

James.

Daddy, husband, designer, gamer, geek

Last edited by Jamski; 04-15-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Well, if you don't want to play the story twice, make sure you play through it in less than 30 hours to get Liberty City Minute. Also, Liberty City (5) where you have to get your remaining friends to like you above 90% is a bit of a chore that I think has to be done before the end of the story (but I'm not 100% positive).

But other than that, the rest can be gotten at any time. And good luck with Endangered Species...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Jamski

jamski07's Gamercard
Wow ok, so can really only miss 2? Cool.

Thanks very much.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Ninja Eagle

Captain Cotchy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Heads up. Getting 100% in Single Player is a bit of a grind. The pidgeons are a bitch and the stunt jumps aren't too nice either. It doesn't matter because the game is amazing man. Enjoy it while it lasts and good luck!

Proudest Completions:
Call of Duty 2
Transformers: WFC
Crackdown 2

"He's not just a regular moron. He is the product of the greatest minds of a generation coming together for the express purpose of creating the dumbest moron that ever existed. And you just put him in charge of the entire facility." - Portal 2.

I agree with Buzz, post count is everything. Seeing that number go up every time I post makes me tingle inside.

Ninja Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Jamski

jamski07's Gamercard
Thanks. Have had a good read through the guide too and seems like the 30 hour one is pretty much the only one you have to get, the others you can get after. I'm sure I'll pick a few up through gameplay then just pick and choose after. Really looking forward to it. Now just have to find the time to play!

Old 04-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Lava Tonsil

andydubyew's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
The best tip for this game is to have a map you can mark off for every pigeon you kill, if not you'll be checking for a very long time doing the mop up!!
Other than that the MP achievements take FOREVER.
Lava Tonsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
bblcreator8790

bblcreator8790's Gamercard
Singleplayer is a bit of a grind, but it's doable with a bit of patience. Just make sure you keep track of which pigeons you kill and which jumps you do so you don't go crazy, or just do them all at once with a guide after the story. Besides completing the story within 30 hours, the one other missable achievement is to unlock Roman's special ability (by getting his like stat to 90%). Other than that singleplayer is not too bad.

The multiplayer achievements are a nightmare though. Expect to spend around 150-200 hours on this game total if you're looking to get 1500g on it, depending if you boost the online achievements and how you do it.
bblcreator8790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Jamski

jamski07's Gamercard
Thanks guys.

Played a bit more of it last night, loving it so far! I'm not going to worry about the 30 hours, just see what happens, will try and get Roman's one though. Other than that I'll just play through and worry about the pigeons/jumps afterwards and try and get each achievement in turn. I picked up 2 or three last night anyway.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Jamski

jamski07's Gamercard
Got Romans cheevo tonight. HATE Vlad. Hope I end up killing him. Want to get out of that dingy flat and get some better clothes too! I'm going places!