Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > F.E.A.R
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
What the..?

I remember playing a demo for this years ago, liking it and never getting around to actually playing it. I picked up a mint used copy today for five bucks and came on here to check out the achievement list.

Wow.

I don't usually avoid games based on the achievement list but this is just brutal. It has to be high on the list of the most absurd achievements ever. What am I going to get for finishing this game, like fifty points if I'm lucky?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Oh yeah! The "achievements". They suck alright. I played the whole game, on easy of course, and got ONE. I tried plying on he next highest mode...uh no. Too damn difficult for me.

Still, achievements aside, it's an awesome game and one of the scariest around. A 100% keeper in my book.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Dreeeebo

Dreeeebo's Gamercard
Definitely, i have played FEAR 2 but at least i could get 550 GS.
Dreeeebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Infernal

A 2rue boofer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
They really aren't that bad, but the game is absolutely amazing! you must play the series.
Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal View Post
They really aren't that bad, but the game is absolutely amazing! you must play the series.
I'm definately going to play it, I'm just not sure when I'll get to it. Are the sequels as good or worth picking up also?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Plasmid Blues

Plasmid Blues's Gamercard
I was afraid to start this game up after hearing about how difficult the achievements are, but.. I'm at interval 7 of 11, and I haven't had any parts where I was thinking "holy shit, this is ridiculous..." I'm playing on medium difficulty, too. I'm going to get about 4-5 achievements upon completing it, I've already gone over it.. Survivalist, Real Time, the 8/9/10(?) interval completion achieves..

It's going to be a pain replaying the game for the collectibles, but, most of the other achievements seem easy. The only two that seem to be the trickiest are the extreme-mode achieve and the ammo hog.. But my friend seems to be doing the ammo hog and he's at like interval 4-5 having only fired literally 24 shots (if we include grenades, which he chose to do)
Plasmid Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Death Metal Jim

Death Metal Jim's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - bplayak   Staff Club - Kairi   Staff Club - Yunder   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
It took me 10 days to 1000 this game. It's very overrated in terms of difficulty IMO. The multiplayer is ridiculously easy to boost since you only need one other person, I think it took around 20 hours total to finish all the multi. The single player on Extreme is a little challenging in certain parts, but if you go for all the collectibles and kill all enemies (use a guide for these two achievements) in that playthrough then it's very doable. Just take your time and use slowmo whenever you need to. I pretty much used the G2A2 Assault Rifle throughout the entire playthrough, with the RPL Sub-Machine Gun as my secondary weapon until I was able to pick up the Type 7. Once you get to the end, let the end credits play all the way so the specific achievements you were going for can unlock, otherwise you run the risk of some of them glitching.

My second playthrough had me going for the other 4 miscellaneous achievements. I put it on Easy and just ran through everything meleeing my way to each level. There were a few levels that I had to kill enemies with a gun (the end of Interval 3 with the Heavy, and the level with the snipers in the building for example) and of course you have to shoot Alma at the end, but you should get Ammo Hog as long as you only shoot when you have to, and avoid using the shotgun (one shot counts as multiple shots), Rocket Launcher (has been known to glitch the achievement), and the Turrets you control (these count as shots fired so DON'T use them). Again, once you finish the game make sure NOT to skip the end credits, and you should unlock Ammo Hog, Survivalist, Real Time, and No Juice. Of course you can always break this up into 3 playthroughs and only go for a couple of them on your second, but that's up to you. I personally didn't want to run through another playthrough when I knew I could get all these on my second run. Remember, if you die on this playthrough then immediately go to Dashboard before if loads up the checkpoint. This way the game will 'forget' you died and you can still work towards Survivalist.

As for the Instant Action maps, I did these in one sitting, and in order. I've heard if you do them out of order that the 'No Fear' achievement might not unlock. Make sure to practice on each one, watch Youtube videos to see the best ways to approach each map, and most of all, have patience. The first map and the last map are the hardest, with 2 and 3 being easy in comparison. From what I've heard, the timer doesn't mean anything, and won't negate the achievement if it runs out, but I can't confirm it myself because I finished all 4 maps before each timer ran out.

Good luck to all of you going for the 1000 in this game, it's a difficult but very doable game, and it's a classic old-school FPS that truly feels rewarding when you complete it.
Death Metal Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Metal Jim View Post
Sage advice.
Thanks for the advice, and damn those credits are long..... I just nabbed this game for $3 used a week or so ago and am focusing on the campaign and instant action, too many other games in the queue to worry about MP, though it would be funny to have the NOOB one .

Gotta agree with others the overload on MP achievements sucks but hey, it was 2006 and no one knew what the hell they were doing. The game felt so much like Half Life but with slightly clunkier combat and ghosts. Very well done ghosts. Every time Alma appeared it spooked me right the fuck out.

I'm just dreading two points on the no death run: the alley truck and the very last Alma run-in. I had to repeat that Alma section 4-5 times because it seemed like she just wouldn't fucking disappear no matter how many bullets I pumped into her head and you have no place to run. Then that fucking truck. I'd creep up slowly, trigger the truck then backpedal like crazy and 5 times in a row it still got me.

Managed to knock off no boosters and no slo-mo in one run, was trying for no deaths but it was a first run and so many things I didn't know. I wanted slo-mo out of the way first, playing my first run like a regular shooter so I wouldn't be too tempted to use it if I got too used to it for a later play. Using it on instant action came pretty natural.

The guide button trick saved my bacon a couple times there, LB is grenade in BF3, and is burned into my brain to use it, accidentally hit it a couple times.

Does that work the same if we die on the no-death run?

Not sure if I want to do the kill everyone and Extreme in one go. Those damn heavy bots man.... sheesh! Would rather just slo-mo past them and bolt.

All in all I'm impressed, it felt interesting going back to such an old game but it's fun as hell to play through. Am going to be sitting on this one like I did Fallout 3, for a long while, going back to it after long breaks to nip up some loose ends.

EDIT: so I managed to not die. The dashboard worked there when I missed that jump in the derelict building.

But I need to find me another guide on the boosters, the NeedToAchieve one evidently sterered me wrong, or I somehow missed one. Went step by step and it didn't unlock when I grabbed the last one.

"Hit it"

Last edited by Opiate42; 04-29-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Eeeeffffffffffff......................
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
Cancerman1120

Cancerman1120's Gamercard
SO I just do not see the love for this game. The controls feel so archaic now and every gun kind of shoots the same. The atmosphere is decent and for a game from 2006 it is decent but I am honestly bored with it. I tried to give it another chance after playing it 2 years ago but I am not sure I will finish.
Cancerman1120 is offline   Reply With Quote