PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Sleeping Dogs
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
The Dark In The Light

Cool Sleeping Dogs:Thoughts/Impressions

Finally after a long period of development issues and what not,sleeping dogs aka true crime: hong kong aka black lotus (look it up) has now been released thanks to the combined effort of square enix and united front games so let's see what the gamers have to say about the game being dubbed the sleeper hit of the year.(will post my take in due time and NO spoilers)

Last edited by The Dark In The Light; 08-23-2012 at 12:46 PM.
The Dark In The Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Chrome30

Send a message via Yahoo to Chrome30

ZombieInPJs's Gamercard
I got my 1k and I had a blast the whole way through. Story was solid. Voice acting was solid. All the side missions and games were solid. Overall it was a solid game. We will see what DLC comes over the next 6 months.

Chrome30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
gazmaster1

Gazmaster3D's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Im not to far in but my first impressions are that it is a bog standard open world game. Well put together but with some minor annoyances. Good story so far but the lip syncing is off and really could do with some more work. Driving is another thing that is could of been better. The fighting is also enjoyable but Batman has shown the way for hand to hand combat. So far its good but not great.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
cigarnut81

Legit Spam's Gamercard
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazmaster1 View Post
Im not to far in but my first impressions are that it is a bog standard open world game. Well put together but with some minor annoyances. Good story so far but the lip syncing is off and really could do with some more work. Driving is another thing that is could of been better. The fighting is also enjoyable but Batman has shown the way for hand to hand combat. So far its good but not great.
The driving is better than anything other than Forza, yes I include NFS. It's anything but standard. I've not seen the lip syncing issues, this is the first I've heard. The hand to hand is measured perfectly. Your either blowing smoke or trolling!

What United Front Games did was take a genre that usually intimidates gamers & make it very simple to enjoy. They brought us the greatness of a sandbox game without overwhelming us with too much. It's certainly shorter than any other sandbox games I've played but the sheer lack of bugs shows they went for quality over quantity!
cigarnut81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I just got the game today but haven't started it yet. I just got through mowing the yard and I'm cooling off and tired on my butt.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.
ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
fresh fish 101

fresh fish 101's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarnut81 View Post
The driving is better than anything other than Forza, yes I include NFS. It's anything but standard. I've not seen the lip syncing issues, this is the first I've heard. The hand to hand is measured perfectly. Your either blowing smoke or trolling!

What United Front Games did was take a genre that usually intimidates gamers & make it very simple to enjoy. They brought us the greatness of a sandbox game without overwhelming us with too much. It's certainly shorter than any other sandbox games I've played but the sheer lack of bugs shows they went for quality over quantity!
yes, if the game was longer, it would be much better, still a great game though for what it is.

100% CLUB: Alan Wake - Battlefield: BC2 - Burnout: Paradise -
Deus Ex: HR - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Far Cry 3 - Hitman: Absolution -
LA Noire - Mafia II - Portal: Still Alive - Portal 2 - Prince of Persia: TFS -
Red Dead Redemption - Skate - Skate 3 - Sleeping Dogs

fresh fish 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
SilentStrike011

One of the best games released in a while and it doesn't have a number (ME3, MW3, BF3, GOW3, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, GTA 5 etc) after the title like most recent or upcomig releases which makes it even better.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
gazmaster1

Gazmaster3D's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Quote:

Blowing smoke or trolling, neither, just stating my opinion. I love how people jump on the troll train as soon as they read something they don't agree with. Grow up kid. Plenty of people have reported glitches with this game, look at the forum. I have played better games especially open world ones.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Great game -- played 10 hrs straight just doing side missions and messing around with civilians.

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

SIMPLYMIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
While I don't think the game is bad by any rate, some of the activities in it are a little underwhelming.

Possible Spoilers:

The "date" missions in particular are very lame, especially given that they unlock the collectibles on the map. And considering the fact that Wei is seeing like 4 women, the favor missions where he stalks Tiffany for "cheating" on him are kind of ridiculous.

The 4 Roland collection missions are a bit cheesy, too. Especially the first one where you simply chase the guy onto one of the street bridge overpasses and he forks over the cash. What was the point of the chase?

The Tran car hijackings aren't as challenging as they could be. More often than not when I find the vehicle, it's stuck in traffic and I just have to stroll up to the door and pull the driver out of the car and it's mine.

Cockfighting could have been a little better if it weren't totally computer driven. Giving the player some kind of control over the action might've helped it in some way, but who knows? Mah-Jong isn't that great...

I also really didn't like how, during a drug bust that had guns, the game would routinely spawn an enemy standing right behind me with a machine gun blasting at my head. Usually by the time I realized it had happened (again!) the guy had just about killed me.

Anyway, still enjoying the game, but I don't think it's flawless...
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Barad
High on Life!

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Only played 3 hours so far but I'm pretty impressed, it's not amazing or anything but fun enough. Driving is loose and easy, gunplay is decent but I love the hand to hand combat and theres so much to do in the city.

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Hurricane Of 87

Hurricane Of 87's Gamercard
Got my 1000Gs and loved it. Still played it a bit more to leave some high scores on the stat games before trading it in.

Driving:
The driving is great for the most part and the bikes especially, but on a early mission where you steal fake watches with Jackie you're forced to drive an utterly poop Movit van which understeers like mad and had me thinking the rest of the driving would be bad. so a bad first impression but the rest of the vehicles have their finer points.
The drifting is actually just a handbrake turn. LOL @ the fact they first introduce the drift when you're driving a mini-bus.
Disappoint by the lack of barrel rolls.
Action Hijacks were great, helpful if you want to nick a better car ASAP. Had no problems with being unable to AH to and from certain vehicles but it seemed to make sense given the context of those vehicles. Having to shimmy around the side of big vans to complete to steal was a great touch and would have liked it for other vehicles too ala Just Cause 2's face punching mini-game.
Good speed with most of the vehicles in the game. This warrants a mention as I felt 90% of the cars in Saints Row 3 were a lot slower than the previous SR2. The shaky cam when you get up to full speed help accentuate the feeling of barely being in control of a dangerously fast piece of metal.
You could throw civilians in your trunk, but after that there wasn't much to do with them other than drive into the harbour at high speed.

The races were alright and had good courses, but this exposed the obvious differences between open world driving and driving game driving. Understeer with most cars, even when tapping the brake and easing off the accelerator was the main issue.

Fighting:
Straight from the Batman school of combat (that's a pun son!), but this game was much, much easier. The enemies are a lot less aggressive, but that seems to be to allow you to execute 3,4,5 hit combos on one guy as opposed to cartwheeling across the length of the room to clobber a guy once before flipping back again.
Being able to disarm thugs and swipe their weapons made up for the lack of gadgets.
Being able to attack enemies while trapped in a Full Nelson was a nice touch.
Would have liked more throws and post-tackle options.

Karaoke:
The mini-game and victory chime were good, but everything else was a let down. The lipsync wasn't even trying, NPCs would only show up for the last few second or cover their ears when I was singing masterfully. Heathens. The singing voice didn't sound like Wei to be honest, would've been cool if they could have gotten a sound alike to belt these out properly.

Cops:
On foot they either get their arses handed to them or immediately go for the arrest, which was too easy to escape. (Always A? Boo!).
On low level car chases I'd notice that at some point they'd drop back and seemingly give up chasing me. even if I slowed down, they slow down too, I'd have to circle back and re-engage them to keep my Catch Me If You Can going.
I'd prefer a few super cops amongst the fat oafs who you could throw down with if they try to cuff you or who'd try to Action Hijack YOU during a chase activating a mini-game where you have to swerve a lot or do a high speed handbrake turn to fling the sod off.

Free-running:
Worked perfectly for the most part. Had a few unjumpable obstacles (about 4) that looked like they should have been easy, but they were only in free-roam when looking for LockBoxes. Nothing mission critical.

Gunplay:
Practical for the most part but on occassions when it went slow-mo there was an aim assist that seemed to hold the crosshair near and I'd physically have to place it on their head, defeating the point of assistance.
Vaulting disarms were great, the enemies ate a lot of lead before going down (a good thing), but the O-shaped crosshair made lining up headshots a bit of a chore.
Slow-mo was only a help and always activated when I wanted it to. Good choice.

Soundtrack:
8======B~~~~~~
Although they mistitled Rustie's Ultra Thizz as Surph. That guy had one job.... Gonna download the whole thing soon and look into Daptone and Ninja Tune further.
Not sure if the original song Yellow Fever was meant to be intentionally awful, but it was pretty harsh on the ears.

Campaign:
Hit all the expected story points of a rather boilerplate arc, my favoured point being Wei gradually showing more allegiance to the Sun On Yee than the police though at no point did I feel like Wei had gone past a point of no-return. The action felt mostly generic like they wanted to pay homage to various movies without directly plagerizing them.
i.e. Hard Boiled has a shootout in a hospital, Intensive Care is essentially a hospital shootout but the two look nothing alike.
the second half of the campaign is based around a Triad election but doesn't really emulate any scenes from either of Johnny To's Election movies. etc.
The characters were vibrant and managed to stand out from each other instead of being Bulletsponge #5.
Cinematics were standard stuff.

Stat Games were a nice addition and gave me something else to aim for mid-mission or if I was driving to a far away lockbox.
Drive Clean could have activated after more than 5 seconds beacuse I was constantly reminded about another player being better than me when I went 5 seconds without crashing.
Try beating that 1:07 Wheelie or 88 Vehicle Takedowns sucker. :P

Overall: There's barely anything original left to do in gaming but people by sequels year after year. Sure Sleeping Dogs takes it's cues from a handful of other titles, but it does them very well. Certainly a lot better than GTA IV did melee and cover-based shooting. Didn't find myself getting bored of Hong Kong or being bored for extended periods of time whether in activities or not (Saints Row: The Third) during my 30+ hours of play. None of the individual elements are amazingly mind-meltingly fantastic and there's clearly room for improvement but it all flows together for a great open-world title.

Insert arbitrary numerical rating here.
Hurricane Of 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
xPsYcHoSaWYeR

x PsYcHo SaWYeR's Gamercard
Got my 1k and loved every bit of it now time to cruise about and shoot the shit outta cops i do recomend heres to dlc ! missions co op play bitta only cops and crooks etc why not lets see what they bring out
xPsYcHoSaWYeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
CoolMarquis97

ah marquis97's Gamercard
The game plays well and the story is interesting but the really small glitches add up after time and you just see how United Front Games never wen't back to touch up their game and to give it that polished look
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Hurricane Of 87

Hurricane Of 87's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMarquis97 View Post
The game plays well and the story is interesting but the really small glitches add up after time and you just see how United Front Games never wen't back to touch up their game and to give it that polished look
Great examples there. Sounds legit.
Hurricane Of 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #16
DEG23
Waiting for 1989

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
I'm only about 20% of the way through but so far i am impressed with this game. I've spent most of my time exploring the world and sampling all the random things it has to offer. The wide variety of melee combat never grows tiresome and for the most part, the world feels so alive and vibrant.

My only annoyance is the driving mechanics feel slightly clunky at times which have meant a number of innocent pedestrians have died
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #17
cigarnut81

Legit Spam's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Of 87 View Post
Great examples there. Sounds legit.
Yeah, I'm with you. This game froze on me once in 27 hours of gameplay. I've seen no other issues & it just doesn't make sense when I hear of the glitches in the exact game I'm playing & mine is near perfect. Same thing with Max Payne 3. I played that campaign 3 times with not a hiccup.
cigarnut81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #18
FeatherbottomMR

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
So far so good. I am really liking it a lot..
FeatherbottomMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #19
Rums
Banned User

I had a funny glitch today where one of the bad guys had a hold of me and I was given the option the break free pressing the Y button. I did, but instead of me knocking him back we both jumped up in the air, landed in the road and glided backwards all the way down the street.

We came to a stop and he still had a hold of me, but there were no X of Y options for me to kick, or free myself. I set there for the good part of a full minute tryn to wait it out, thinking maybe it would correct itself. It did.
Rums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
lighthouse777

starlight777's Gamercard
i love open world games
and i really like this one
lighthouse777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #21
Barrowland

BARROWLAND's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark In The Light View Post
Reserved post
I'm incredibly confused as to why u would reserve post number 21 in your own thread. will bookmark to see what happens.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
Graivul

Heroic Bishop's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I personally loved it....

From the announcement and then the live action trailer it was a must buy for me.....was so relieved when my one worry was unfounded and I saw the achievement list contained no 'tacked-on' multiplayer mode, and no difficulty based achievements!

Having just finished it and got the full 1000/1000, my opinions have not changed. I loved it and I am waiting now for some DLC!

And the cult that is 'Pork Bun Guy' has been introduced to the world!!!

Only issue I had was having completed the game to 100% my stat said I had just over 96%....I had to use the workaround of replaying a 6 round martial arts club to unglitch it and make it read the actual 100% figure, which it did and gave me the last two achievements.

Nothing a patch wouldn't fix.

So overall, was gagging for this game, and don't regret a minute of it now it is over

Graivul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #23
SpinelesS

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
The Voice acting was great - If Peggy Li hadn't been so well voiced by Lindsay Price I wouldn't have loved her character enough to get pissed off by what happened at the wedding or have been willing to hand over ratface to Winston's mother.

The Melee combat is a lot of fun. (remember how horrid it was in GTA IV?)

The story is enjoyable so far (though I have heard its quite short)

Love the competitive stats that show up (though I have been getting the odd bug where I am being ranked incorrectly in 2nd place behind myself every now and then)

The radio kinda sucks. there is no custom station and I only seem to hear 3 - 4 different songs on each station (stations seem to reset too often) and so far I haven't heard a single song that I want to put on my mp3 (usually get at least 3 songs per sandbox game...)

and sadly once again there is a level cap - Just give me a popup message telling me I have learned all I can via leveling, but allow me to continue to level up, then I can compete against my friends to have the highest level

SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
mesoungodlyfast

mesoungodlyfast's Gamercard
Quote:
I'd prefer a few super cops amongst the fat oafs who you could throw down with if they try to cuff you or who'd try to Action Hijack YOU during a chase activating a mini-game where you have to swerve a lot or do a high speed handbrake turn to fling the sod off.
Not really what you want, but at least when you start killing a lot of cops they send the SWAT Team in with bulletproof vests and sub-machines guns to track you down on foot, or they send in the big armored vans to chase you down at level 5 heat in a chase.

And I honestly had a hard time escaping the Level 5 heat forces. Only way to get out was the safehouses (similar to The Saboteur)
Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
mesoungodlyfast

mesoungodlyfast's Gamercard
Quote:
Yeah, I'm with you. This game froze on me once in 27 hours of gameplay. I've seen no other issues & it just doesn't make sense when I hear of the glitches in the exact game I'm playing & mine is near perfect. Same thing with Max Payne 3. I played that campaign 3 times with not a hiccup.
Only glitch Ive encountered is my Social Hub keeps saying it is unavailable and wont show me my current stats on the gold medals. OTher than that, I've got over 30 hours into it with no glithces whatsoever.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #26
lifetimegamer

MBocking1987's Gamercard
I'm 12 hours in so far and having a great time
Terrific combat system, which is typically unheard of in open-world games. The storyline is also enjoyable, with some solid voice acting thrown in for good measure.
lifetimegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #27
II Mortis II

Mortis x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Really enjoyed playing through the story on this game. Currently mopping up the rest of the achievements for 1k, but finding it increasingly annoying getting the triad level 10 achievement. I'm about 3/4 way through level 9, so close to level 10!