PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Shooter > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
xSavage Henry

xSavage Henry's Gamercard
Never played this but heard good things...

Will this game be pretty good? How similar to cod? I dont care if its like cod but just trying to get an idea.
xSavage Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
Infernal

A 2rue boofer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
For starts it's the #1 first person shooter on PC. I've been playing it for close to 10 years now and I love it! It takes tactic because you don't have exponential amount of lives. You start each round on just a single life, so it's basically elimination so as you play you start developing strategies to staying alive and completing the objective. Amazing game in my opinion.
Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
DEG23
Robot Mode: Engaged

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
This was the COD back in the day, everyone was on CS but like Infernal said, you need tactics and skill opposed to running and gunning. I am tempted to say if you grew up on COD then you may not like this at first but iím almost certain it will grow on you.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
I mak3 big boom

Pound My Rumpus's Gamercard
There isn't crutches. There isnt killstreaks. There's no Aim Down Sights. It is essential to aim for the head. Plus its fun as hell!
Latest 100%: Bioshock Infinite
"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man that when faced with extinction..."
"Every alternative is preferable"
I mak3 big boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
warrenpaul

Woz DJ's Gamercard
counter strike is the don of all shooters imo

warrenpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
birdshake

If you're a Call of Duty fan and grew up with this era of FPS shooters odds are you're not going to enjoy CS because it is pretty basic. You buy your weapons, you attempt to defeat the other team, that simple.

As for me, that's enough. I like to play something a little more basic and not filled with sentry guns, killstreaks, etc.

Then again there are those of us who are a bit older and played CS before Steam ever existed and want to play this out of pure nostalgia.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I've never played it and I've played Call of Duty and I know I'm going to love it. Why does everything have to get compared to that game? Especially when Counter Strike came first. Pretty much null and voids anything to do with each other.
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
I mak3 big boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
I've never played it and I've played Call of Duty and I know I'm going to love it. Why does everything have to get compared to that game? Especially when Counter Strike came first. Pretty much null and voids anything to do with each other.
Except they're both modern FPSs based on online multiplayer, so it would be silly to say you can't compare them.
"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man that when faced with extinction..."
Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by I mak3 big boom View Post
Except they're both modern FPSs based on online multiplayer, so it would be silly to say you can't compare them.
Not exactly. It springs from popularity. People always want to hate what's popular. BF3 is an FPS based on multiplayer yet hardly anyone mentions it. Same reason the iPhone gets so much flak.

Gageamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
ll Mr Bubbles ll

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageamatron View Post
Not exactly. It springs from popularity. People always want to hate what's popular. BF3 is an FPS based on multiplayer yet hardly anyone mentions it. Same reason the iPhone gets so much flak.
Except the iPhone is overpriced garbage, lol and I have owned one. But yes they are both fps's except Cs takes skill and cod doesn't
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
I mak3 big boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageamatron View Post
That doesn't have much to do with what I said but that's true I guess. It just makes sense to compare something with the most popular thing so the maximum amount of people understand what you're trying to say. Like I said they're both in the same genre. They're bound to get compared at some point.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
drebus

Drebus's Gamercard
You should go look at the Steam statistics (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/). The original counterstrike (from the year 1999 or something) is still up there, with Source en GO pretty close to it. Counter-strike is legendary and if you're a FPS enjoying gamer you should play this at least a couple of hours. If you're not a PC gamer, you will now finally be able to play counter-strike on your console.

Just prepare for the fact that counter-strike is kinda basic and pure. Luck will save you only 1 out of a 100 times. Skill is a big factor in this one. Expect to die a lot the first few hours. Stick with the game during those hours and you'll have a great FPS to play. CS being basic is purely the mechanics - from a tactical p.o.v. the game has great options and the maps are close to perfectly balanced.

Planting/Defusing the bomb can get pretty epic. Managing your money is important, you can't get that powerfull sniper rifle every time you die. There's rounds where you have to kill a guy with your pistol to take his gun to get some firepower. And that gun might not be your personal favorite, but you'll have to use it that round because you didn't have money. Or you can be the only terrorist left, plant the bomb and have to take on 3 counter-terrorists with your desert eagle..

The upside is that this xbox release is new for everyone, so it will probably be a bit easier to start with than the original counter-strike, where people have about 10 years of experience with the game
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by drebus View Post
You should go look at the Steam statistics (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/). The original counterstrike (from the year 1999 or something) is still up there, with Source en GO pretty close to it. Counter-strike is legendary and if you're a FPS enjoying gamer you should play this at least a couple of hours. If you're not a PC gamer, you will now finally be able to play counter-strike on your console.

Just prepare for the fact that counter-strike is kinda basic and pure. Luck will save you only 1 out of a 100 times. Skill is a big factor in this one. Expect to die a lot the first few hours. Stick with the game during those hours and you'll have a great FPS to play. CS being basic is purely the mechanics - from a tactical p.o.v. the game has great options and the maps are close to perfectly balanced.

Planting/Defusing the bomb can get pretty epic. Managing your money is important, you can't get that powerfull sniper rifle every time you die. There's rounds where you have to kill a guy with your pistol to take his gun to get some firepower. And that gun might not be your personal favorite, but you'll have to use it that round because you didn't have money. Or you can be the only terrorist left, plant the bomb and have to take on 3 counter-terrorists with your desert eagle..

The upside is that this xbox release is new for everyone, so it will probably be a bit easier to start with than the original counter-strike, where people have about 10 years of experience with the game
Well said sir.

Also I cannot stress this enough: TRY TO NOT MOVE WHILE SHOOTING!!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Creazil

iCreazil UK's Gamercard
Is there a levelling up system? 'Cos to be honest, I like the sound of the money system so I'm hoping there isn't. I like the fact there's the skill thing though so you're never against people who's too high skill than you.

I'm looking forward to this game. I grew up on Vietcong on the PC and as for consoles, it was Call of Duty 4 and the Battlefield games. I don't play Call of Duty anymore LOL

Creazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creazil View Post
Is there a levelling up system? 'Cos to be honest, I like the sound of the money system so I'm hoping there isn't. I like the fact there's the skill thing though so you're never against people who's too high skill than you.

I'm looking forward to this game. I grew up on Vietcong on the PC and as for consoles, it was Call of Duty 4 and the Battlefield games. I don't play Call of Duty anymore LOL
I doubt the xbox version will have the EDL rank. So most likely no ranking.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
lifetimegamer

MBocking1987's Gamercard
CounterStrike has always been a very basic FPS but that is exactly what makes it great. No frills, just two teams shooting at each other while trying to complete objectives.

Speaking as someone who only gets chance to play games for an hour or so each day, CS has always been my go-to FPS as there is no risk of being left behind by the rest of the community.

For £10 I think it's a steal and a perfect game to keep coming back to whenever you fancy a few balanced rounds of multiplayer FPS goodness
lifetimegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
drebus

Drebus's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creazil View Post

No lvl system really. You can get medals over time and these will give you no advantage or anything.
CS is about balance.