PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Minecraft
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Don't know if you can do this but...

Hey guys, im gonna start by posting a picture...

it's 3 layers thick with water source on the top of the middle layer, with water running down giving the effect, but its there all the time

what im wanting is to have a switch that can stop the water flowing or start it again with traps.

i dont know if it can be done. i tried having a mess around with trap doors but they didnt work at all. im wanting the switch on the floor next to the gate.

any ideas would be awesome

my gt is Rambaldi 666 if you wanna msg me thanks
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
Working On: Loads
--
kierons316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
LegendAtHeart

UGC KraZed's Gamercard
Just making the gate alone with the water would be pretty cool in its own right, i am not to sure how to do the switch bit however. What was happening when you tried it with trap doors?
LegendAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
RDrules

rdisbetterthanu's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
there isnt an effective way to do it yet. perfect use for a sticky piston though if you wait for that
RDrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
d0ct0rscarecr0w

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

it if you want the switch on the ground. You'd have to make the gate thicker to hide the redstone. Nice work by the way.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
That looks totally awesome!

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
The Phoenix 097

The phoenix 097's Gamercard
trap doors and doors dont let water pass, even when open.

so you simply cant do it with those
The Phoenix 097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
mrj3d

FrehleyzComet's Gamercard

That looks amazing man.

Sounds like you might be better off waiting for pistons though.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendAtHeart View Post
Just making the gate alone with the water would be pretty cool in its own right, i am not to sure how to do the switch bit however. What was happening when you tried it with trap doors?

water just stayed on the block above the traps. might have a go at using pistons when they arrive

and thanks guys but i cant take all credit. i wanted to build one so found a vid on youtube by gamersgonnaplay. although his was done on pc with mods or whatever mine is all natural & im damn proud of it
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--
Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
d0ct0rscarecr0w

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierons316 View Post
water just stayed on the block above the traps. might have a go at using pistons when they arrive

and thanks guys but i cant take all credit. i wanted to build one so found a vid on youtube by gamersgonnaplay. although his was done on pc with mods or whatever mine is all natural & im damn proud of it
it will, pistons can let water through but things like trap doors, signs and ladders will not since even when they are open they are still considered a block in the way of the waters path.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Hey guys just an update on my gate, i been messing around with one on the pc version so i dont go wrecking my xbox one without knowing what im doing, anyway, i used sticky pistons and got a lever that turns the water on and off, which i think looks kinda cool when its turning on ...

anyhoo, is there a way to have the redstone circuit longer? the pistons are at the top of the gate and at the minute i have to use a switch also at the top cos it dont activate redstone after a certain distance.

ive had a mess around with the repeaters but to no avail

another issue i have is hiding the ramp and redstone, or at least making it not as obvious.

fun times. Thanks for any help / hints / ideas etc
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--
Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
RDrules

a repeater will extend the circuit for another 15 blocks each

depending how big your gate is though there may be more efficient ways to do
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrules View Post
a repeater will extend the circuit for another 15 blocks each

depending how big your gate is though there may be more efficient ways to do

the gate's 17 x 17 x 5, with water running across 13 blocks. i got the switch at ground level working but you say there may be a more efficient way?
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--
Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
StayonTarget
Mr. Purple

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
You would need some sort of Piston contraption to move blocks in front of the water. But you would need 4 pistons which poses a problem if you want to conceal it. You could put them in the back to block the middle layer by pushing the back layer.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #14
RDrules

Quote:
the gate's 17 x 17 x 5, with water running across 13 blocks. i got the switch at ground level working but you say there may be a more efficient way?
well if your going up a long way you can use a tower of redstone torches to pass the signal up, that way you dont need long steps of whatever material for the redstone to run up

just go up going redstone torch, block torch block torch block and the torches will turn each other on off on off on off, then you can feed the signal from the top one to the top pistons

... easier to show a screenshot, this is a giant gate from my PC world

i have the wireing and repeaters for timing at the bottom of the gate to the pistons and to the torches there, then the torches pass the signal to the top to the pistons up there

you could easily have that at one side on the long parts and wire n the stepped parts that way everything stays hidden

keep all the repeaters for timing under ground and just pass the signals from it to the pistons rather than try to time it near them, the hardest part will be hiding the pistons themselves

Last edited by RDrules; 08-13-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
thanks RDrules.

I got some pistons stopping the water flow and used the redstone torches as you have shown which has took up much less room. although the back of the gate looks a bit of a mess, the front doesnt look to bad

now i gotta incorporate it onto my xbox gate. ugh. fun times
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--
Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Whoop. Got it finished. Just uploading a video as I type see what you guys think....

http://youtu.be/kBvizYBzeoI
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--

Last edited by kierons316; 08-17-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
Holy Hunter

Quote:
Whoop. Got it finished. Just uploading a video as I type see what you guys think....

http://youtu.be/kBvizYBzeoI
Just checked it out and I have to say pretty sweet. A lot of work went into from what I can tell and it paid off very nicely.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
Terra Branford

That's pretty impressive. It's nice to see you managed a way to turn off the water, and restart it, without problems... that's just impressive. Congrats.
Terra Branford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Thanks guys it took a while messing around trying to get pistons in the right place, having water source in the right place so it doesn't flow down the side of the gate. biggest challenge was hiding the redstone circuit. but i didn't realise you could use torches like that. I'm pretty chuffed with it

After I've finished my castle I'm thinking of building a 'super' gate. . .
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--
Old 08-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
Terra Branford

Quote:
Thanks guys it took a while messing around trying to get pistons in the right place, having water source in the right place so it doesn't flow down the side of the gate. biggest challenge was hiding the redstone circuit. but i didn't realise you could use torches like that. I'm pretty chuffed with it

After I've finished my castle I'm thinking of building a 'super' gate. . .
The only downside to your Stargate design... is if you'd put a Nether Portal in the "middle", the water would likely always kill it, when it falls down... or, it'd simply spill out all over the floor. How you got it all nice and tidy, and flowing ~perfectly~ every time... you've got some mastery over liquid physics.

I should point out one annoying trouble with the way you have your Redstone Torch power circuit... it's likely to burn out, without warning... so be careful when saving your game, after you've played with it. Yes, even simple Vertical Torch Diodes can "burnout" (I should know, because I've made these VTDs in my sandbox, and it shorted out in "Online Mode" after only a handful of uses). Just figured I'd save you a LOT of time, wondering "What happened!?" by letting you know, in advance, what happened.

Thankfully, it IS a simple enough fix... just don't save after it fails on you. Exit your map, and Minecraft (to the Dashboard) and then resume playing Minecraft. It's pretty random, when it'll happen. And if you find it's still borked, you can just replace the Torches, after following the reset.

When they fix this, I'm going to be jumping for joy, because it is (in MY opinion) the most efficient method of sending a one-way power pulse up from Bedrock, to the surface, for Piston devices and T-Flip Flops.

Last edited by Terra Branford; 08-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Terra Branford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
timpan195

timpan195's Gamercard
Watch this video to see what my strgate looks like...

Old 08-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #22
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpan195 View Post
Watch this video to see what my strgate looks like...

Minecraft 360 Edition Pimped Village - YouTube

How do you have a button for turning on and turning off? I keep seeing people use them but all mine does is turn on for so long then turn off :/
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--
Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #23
I mak3 big boom

Pound My Rumpus's Gamercard
Quote:
How do you have a button for turning on and turning off? I keep seeing people use them but all mine does is turn on for so long then turn off :/
Use levers
Latest 100%: Bioshock Infinite
"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man that when faced with extinction..."
"Every alternative is preferable"
I mak3 big boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #24
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by I mak3 big boom View Post
Use levers

I'm using a lever which works it fine, but a button looks more authentic
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #25
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Quote:
You would need to build a flip-flop or a latch circuit. Press the button once, the latch turns on, press again to turn it off. I'm not really keen on how to build them but the wiki and youtube are great.
Nitnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #26
Geordiefly

GeordieFly's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnoid View Post
You would need to build a flip-flop or a latch circuit. Press the button once, the latch turns on, press again to turn it off. I'm not really keen on how to build them but the wiki and youtube are great.
I'd agree! Flip flop switches work great and look far better than levers. Lots of compact designs for them on youtube, really really easy to build and you can just hide them out of the way then run a single redstone wire to the button.

Btw, AWESOME stargate! It crossed my mind to do this in my pyramid but I don't think i'd get it as good as this! Nice job!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #27
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordiefly View Post
I'd agree! Flip flop switches work great and look far better than levers. Lots of compact designs for them on youtube, really really easy to build and you can just hide them out of the way then run a single redstone wire to the button.

Btw, AWESOME stargate! It crossed my mind to do this in my pyramid but I don't think i'd get it as good as this! Nice job!

I'll trade help if ya want. You help me with those flip flop switch and I'll help with you a gate :-)
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--
Old 08-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #28
twotonkoala

milehighkoala's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
So I have no experience with Minecraft. I've seen some videos/pictures of it, get the gist of it, but have never actually played (I respect the amount of time I'm sure it takes to build stuff, just not the game for me). I do lurk the forums though just to see what kinda stuff people make.

I have to say, this is pretty damn cool. I have no idea how complicated it would be to build, but going by the thread it seems like you've done a really good job even by Minecraft standards.

I just love how the thing takes you to the hidden path. Nice addition. Just the appearance of the thing is pretty cool with the level to turn it off/on, but the extra path was a nice touch. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #29
Geordiefly

GeordieFly's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Quote:
I'll trade help if ya want. You help me with those flip flop switch and I'll help with you a gate :-)
I think I would be an extremely unfair swap! lol. Flip flop switches are very easy, check out the tutorial below, he does some good stuff and it helped me to understand them. I use that design of the 2 pistons pushing the block and it works every time with multiple buttons.

If your stuck, just pm me and I'll give you a hand if I can. Still pretty new to it but lets face it, if you can make that gate then you can do a flip flop switch LOL!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #30
kierons316

Rambaldi 666's Gamercard
Hey twotonkoala, thanks but after looking through some other things done on minecraft, my gate looks like childs play lol.

I got the stupid idea of wanting a button now though, which apparently is easy... gonna have a go at it, but not got much room to work with. Some fool thought it would be cool to have the gate leading to some tombs beneath it.

Pfft. Who would do that
100% - 26
--
50,000G - May 2013
--
--