Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Shmup > Ikaruga
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Ultrapro

Send a message via MSN to Ultrapro Send a message via Yahoo to Ultrapro

Ultrapro's Gamercard
Did anyone own this before it came out on XBLA?

Hey gang, loving the fact that classic full games like this are on XBLA, such as Soul Calibur, Duke Nukem etc. But Ikaruga has always been my favourite game, it changed the way I played games forever!! I am a HUGE Dreamcast fan and bought this back in 03 on the DC, I never became especially pro at it but I could get to the last level without using a continue on the lowest setting lol! My highest chain was 90 something. So are all the people here simply XBLA players or did anyone have it on GC or DC before hand? Just fancied seeing what you all thought.

Pro
Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
M85A21
Banned User

Oldedog's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I had it on the Dreamcast, it's the reason I bought the game on XBLA, not for achievements I might add, I just love the pitch they have going with the Same Colour = Power thing.
M85A21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Ultrapro

Ultrapro's Gamercard
Yeah, it was an amazing game, way ahead of its time in my opinion. I very nearly didn't find out about it and get it to be honest.

I followed the DC in the UK constantly from its release date until the last pal game, which I think was NBA 2K2 or something. I even picked up a few of the final, really rare games that weren't even published by Sega in our country, they were published by "BigBen"! Games such as Cannon Spike, Evil Twin and Heavy Metal. But I didn't keep informed about it, I didn't know there were still titles being made in Japan until I stumbled across Ikaruga. I had been a member of the "Online Consoles" forum for a little while because I had been trying to find people still playing the games that worked at the time on the DC, I think it was 2003, and someone there mentioned it.

I was very dubious about buying it at first, mostly because of the steep price tag and the fact that it was a japanese release. I had Frame Gride already but found that hard to play due to the language barrier so was cautious. I read about it and read a few reviews and decided to buy it. It totally blew me away, I had never played a game with such gorgeous Graphics, but also with such an instinct driven game style, it was the first time I'd actually played a game PURELY for the fun and excitement it gave me, since, I dunno, the first time I played a scrolling shmup in my local chippy!!

Well you can imagine the mixed feelings I had about its release on XBLA. On one hand I thought "Amazing, the new generation of gamers will get to play my fave game of all time, it won't be forgotten" but then I also felt "this game was so important for the Dreamcast, it really upsets me that, yet again, people will not realise the amazing things the Dreamcast could do, and it did them 5 YEARS AGO!!" its just a shame things went the way they did. But hey, its good to see the DC living on through the 360!

Pro
Old 02-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
G2covers

G2covers's Gamercard
i had this on the gamecube. didn't know about it before that but saw a preview and decided to buy a cube just to play it. i'd always loved vertical shmups and this looked like being the pinnacle of the genre. needless to say, i wasn't disappointed.

i thought i was finally going to sell my cube when ikaruga was released on XBLA, but given the lack of the slo-mo practice mode on XBLA i will probably hang onto the cube version (and the cube itself) a while longer.

XBLA 100%: [8] WARP | Limbo | Brain Challenge | Chessmaster | Portal: Still Alive | Sonic 2 | The Walking Dead | Wordament (iOS)
G2covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
Anathros0

Anathros0's Gamercard
i had it on the Dreamcast too, still play my DC from time to time its sad what happened to it tho, what a great console

100% Retail: 23
100% Arcade: 9

http://anathros0.mybrute.com

Anathros0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Ultrapro

Ultrapro's Gamercard
Yeah, great console, it was definitely my favourite! I still play the odd game on it but havent for a long time. Same goes for REZ and Soul Calibur, the console was an innovator for soo many things.

Pro
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Bunta

Brucie Bunta's Gamercard
I had it and loved it to bits - one of my favorite games
Bunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
dirge

builder dirge's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I had this on the Gamecube, I love scrolling shoot em ups so gave it a go as there weren't too many out at that time. Loved it, thought it was very hard and still is to me but great idea for a great genre. Glad I found out this week it was on XBLA! 3 achievements so far and I doubt i'll get many more lol!

Gamerscore on 31/12/2010 77,080
Gamerscore on 31/12/2011 116,056
Gamerscore on 31/12/2012 153,371
Gamerscore on 31/12/2013 187,190

#SaveShenmue
dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Zorlance

Shonen Ace's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I got this on the Gamecube 4 or 5 years ago, still have it now. Great game and the first that introduced me to the Shmup genre.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Lucent Beam

Send a message via AIM to Lucent Beam

Lucent Beam's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Referrals - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I had it on GameCube before.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Ultrapro

Ultrapro's Gamercard
crikey, so a lot of people had it on GameCube before then? Cool, I am now going to start playing this on my dc again simply because I bought a new tv and can now play in using the VGA box at 480p and it looks excellent!

Pro
Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
berserkerninja

beserkerninja's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I had it for dreamcast XD

x360: Beserkerninja
berserkerninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
Grouchu

Grouchu's Gamercard
I had it on the Gamecube.

Retail Completed (13)
Latest:
Enchanted Arms

Arcade Completed (17)
Latest:
Sonic & Knuckles
Grouchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 AM   #14
Hente

Optima Shift's Gamercard
It was my first shmup, lol, had it on the DC, picked it up on the GC too.
It got me addicted to shmups... playing Touhou regularly now. ;_;

Hente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
HER0 0F HYRULE

Send a message via AIM to HER0 0F HYRULE

HER0 0F HYRULE's Gamercard
I had it on Gamecube. Actually had it reserved at my local Software Etc. I couldn't even pronounce it properly, but I got a few friends of mine HOOKED on it. My brother and I would take my Gamecube over to my friend's house (I have a set of component cables for my GC so I we would do it to run in progressive scan, or 480p) and would see how high we could rack up our combined scores with no continues used and then challenge my two friends and see who was better.

I've got so man fond memories of this game. I bought it the day it hit on Live and all the subsequent themes and gamer pictures.
HER0 0F HYRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
Tylosargerchia

FLEEBS's Gamercard
I bought it for Gamecube. I love shoot 'em ups, and I really wish there were more of them.
Tylosargerchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
magixman

MagixMan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Thumbs up

Dreamcast and GC. Hard, but great game with a (minor) story. Loved it
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
The Pups

Send a message via AIM to The Pups

tons of puppies's Gamercard
Yep, I had a GameCube copy I got at BestBuy.com for like 20 dollars back in 2004 or so. Great deal for this game.
The Pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
GAMERJET

GAMERJET XBL's Gamercard
I still have the Gamecube version, but I just had to buy it again!
Such an awesome, amazing game! I keep hoping for a sequel...

GAMERJET is offline   Reply With Quote