PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Shooter > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Soulreaper 1337

soulreaper i337's Gamercard
Is it worth it?

I played this a decade ago (wow i feel old just saying that) so my question to all those who gotten it (all others just frak off) is two parts:

1) is this game good enough that i will go back to play it again and again, what im talking about is something that is at least half as fun as left 4 dead online or has a good online community like team fortress used to?

2) the other question is this game worth the 15 (remember i played it before); so what im saying is does it have enough added, updated, and good looks to make it worth the 15 dollar start or wait until it goes down 10 or 5 bucks?

normally i dont ask for arcade games but i bought the gotham city imposters, which was fun for a while but i got bored of it quick and got tired of some of the gimicks even quicker, obviously i dont want another pretty face with no substance so i want to know if this version of Counter Strike is worth getting.

Thanks for all the insight you can give
Soulreaper 1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
Why not just download the trial and see for yourself.

Gageamatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Maka

Send a message via MSN to Maka

Maka91's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Emerald   GRID 2 Award   Submit - Platinum   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Micro Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Silver   x360a Book Club   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulreaper 1337 View Post
I played this a decade ago (wow i feel old just saying that) so my question to all those who gotten it (all others just frak off) is two parts:

1) is this game good enough that i will go back to play it again and again, what im talking about is something that is at least half as fun as left 4 dead online or has a good online community like team fortress used to?

2) the other question is this game worth the 15 (remember i played it before); so what im saying is does it have enough added, updated, and good looks to make it worth the 15 dollar start or wait until it goes down 10 or 5 bucks?

normally i dont ask for arcade games but i bought the gotham city imposters, which was fun for a while but i got bored of it quick and got tired of some of the gimicks even quicker, obviously i dont want another pretty face with no substance so i want to know if this version of Counter Strike is worth getting.

Thanks for all the insight you can give
Keep in mind this is a new game, not an HD remake of the classic version. Many of the maps and guns are the exact same, but it's still a "new" installment.

I've already put probably well over 25 hours into it, personally. The online is fun, and most people online are willing to talk and play competitively.

I think it's worth $15, especially since the community is large now, and has a lot of new players. Purchasing it in the future really limits your gameplay experience. You'll mostly play against veterans, and there will be less people online. The possibility that it becomes cheaper within the next year is very slim as well.

I bought it, and don't regret it, coming from someone who wasn't really sure about it. However, keep in mind the achievements take FOREVER.

Lastly, the trial version of the game, is actually the full game but only lets you play for like 30 minutes. You can play online, and play against people with the full version of the game.

Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
warrenpaul

Woz DJ's Gamercard
Ive been a harcore player of cs since the start, and im totally addicted to this, once you get used to the guns, thats it

get it!

Last edited by warrenpaul; 08-27-2012 at 11:10 PM.
warrenpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
If you paid money for Gotham City Imposters you shouldn't even flinch at adding this to your collection. This comes from someone new to Counter Strike. You've got experience so you'll likely appreciate it even more than I do. It's a great game that has some bad front end design choices. Some questionable chat settings and lack of a few private matchmaking options are the only real negatives. Easily the best multiplayer-only Xbox Live Arcade title and arguably as good or better than the annual triple-A shooters on the market.
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
M49907

Send a message via AIM to M49907

m49907's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpaul View Post
Ive been a harcore player of cs since the start, and im totally addicted to this, once you get used to the guns, thats it

get it!
Same here. If you played CS on PC you know what to expect. No weapon unlocks, attachments, or any other bull shit. Its stricktly competative FPS. So far nearly every match ive been in has had people talking and playing strategies. I think it is well worth the price. It is better than Battlefield 3 and MW3 in my opinion.

Last edited by M49907; 08-29-2012 at 06:00 PM.
M49907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
DR3AMxCATCHER

DREAMxCATCH3R's Gamercard
I turned on my privacy settings because I tired of hearing people talk about random things. Now, I only hear my friends list which is fine since that's usually all I play with.

The most annoying thing is people complaining about no killstreaks and rewards. I guess no one feels the need for the good old basic CS. If you love Counter-Strike for what Counter-Strike is the $15 price tag is great. Of course, there are a few issues that need to be addressed with a patch so hopefully they will come. However, nothing that shouldn't make you want to pick the game up. Great gameplay for $15.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Soulreaper 1337

soulreaper i337's Gamercard
Thanks for the feedback i will probably download it after i get back from class this afternoon.
Soulreaper 1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
warrenpaul

Woz DJ's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by M49907 View Post
Same here. If you played CS on PC you know what to expect. No weapon unlocks, attachments, or any other bull shit. Its stricktly competative FPS. So far nearly every match ive been in has had people talking and playing strategies. I think it is well worth the price. It is better than Battlefield 3 and MW3 in my opinion.
this ^^^^^

warrenpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Just hope that Valve support the title otherwise, well, TF2 should be a good idea of what would likely happen.

I hope that doesn't though as CS is fun as hell and it's cool that console players get to take a dip now.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Pyrochaos

AOS Pyrochaos's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Just hope that Valve support the title otherwise, well, TF2 should be a good idea of what would likely happen.

I hope that doesn't though as CS is fun as hell and it's cool that console players get to take a dip now.
I don't understand the TF2 argument.

-TF2 was only on 360 as part of the Orange Box. CS:GO is a stand alone game.
-CS has a much bigger following
-CS on OG Xbox sold 1.5mil, and was always on the top 10 XBL games for OG Xbox, so if sales are high on this it is more likely to be supported.
-DLC was already spotted in the code.

Pyrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
I don't understand the TF2 argument.

-TF2 was only on 360 as part of the Orange Box. CS:GO is a stand alone game.
-CS has a much bigger following
-CS on OG Xbox sold 1.5mil, and was always on the top 10 XBL games for OG Xbox, so if sales are high on this it is more likely to be supported.
-DLC was already spotted in the code.
My point wasn't about a fanbase, or it being inside a game compilation but rather about the fact MS limits the ability to patch so Valve can't put out the updates frequently as they want to. TF2 was just the example I used as it's still a very popular game but because Valve weren't able to patch it frequently, the fanbase dwindled quickly.

I do hope that it has changed and they will have better luck with Global Offensive because it was very fun even in the closed beta.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
Andreas_loel

mr fiskeh's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Its not worth it, if you ever played the pc version you get a laggy version of the original.

Its a sad piece of fucking shite, no matter what the xbox fanboys tells you.

Buy the pc edition if you get a chance, otherwise move on unless you wanna spend 100+ hours fighting bots for 400gs

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDoggson
Andreas_loel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
DROGTURIST

DROGTURIST's Gamercard
I don't think it's worth it either. I used to love CS back in the day, but today, honestly...it's 10 years old and you can tell. It's pretty simplistic compared to many of the advances made by other FPS games (which might be a plus to some, I concede). Very basic, blocky level design and not much flair to the controls.

On top of that, there are significant technical issues at least with the XBLA version. There's crappy matchmaking which leads to laggy games constantly, and I have strong suspicions that there's something wrong with the damage and recoil models. Quite often you lose out on kills that were so very much yours, but the other dude just runs away. It's not lag either, because I've done a lot of boosting in this game and it even happens with players who are standing still.
DROGTURIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
fallout frank

IIX DBO XII's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROGTURIST View Post
I don't think it's worth it either. I used to love CS back in the day, but today, honestly...it's 10 years old and you can tell. It's pretty simplistic compared to many of the advances made by other FPS games (which might be a plus to some, I concede). Very basic, blocky level design and not much flair to the controls.

On top of that, there are significant technical issues at least with the XBLA version. There's crappy matchmaking which leads to laggy games constantly, and I have strong suspicions that there's something wrong with the damage and recoil models. Quite often you lose out on kills that were so very much yours, but the other dude just runs away. It's not lag either, because I've done a lot of boosting in this game and it even happens with players who are standing still.
I agree 100%, and anyone else who appreciates gaming in general and is not just a fanboy of a series or console/pc will also agree, the game is just not the same now as it was when it first came out and honestly is not made for a console.
fallout frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
DR3AMxCATCHER

DREAMxCATCH3R's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout frank View Post
I agree 100%, and anyone else who appreciates gaming in general and is not just a fanboy of a series or console/pc will also agree, the game is just not the same now as it was when it first came out and honestly is not made for a console.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. The game is simplistic, yes, but why should it completely change its way to be just like the other games? There's a reason you cannot compare CoD to CS. Call of Duty had (has) playlist with killstreaks removed and what not and almost no one played them.

Counter-Strike was made when people my age (21 now) were getting into shooters and it took what was not really there then and expanded on it. Games have come a long way since CS first launched and I still personally feel like this plays exactly how it should.

It's just an opinion. No one can say it's not made for consoles either. I'm amazed by how they pulled off the voting system into the console version. I personally don't like playing on the PC anymore so I love it on the Xbox. I wasn't too certain about the game after playing the early stages of the beta on the PC, but towards the end I got more into it. Playing with my friends brings back the memories and that's why I feel like the game is completely worth it. Sure there are faults with the game, but what game doesn't have them?

If you don't enjoy the game, that's fine. However, you should probably bring a little more to the table in terms of saying it's not worth it than what you did. :/