PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim > Hearthfire
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #91
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihlee View Post
Samurai Ralan's suggestion is spot on! I had a rare items radiant quest to find an Amulet of Arkay for a person in Windhelm. I couldn't find the amulet for a long time and gave up. After getting a hint from the Syrim Wiki site I found the amulet and completed the quest.

Once this quest was completed I could get missions from the Falkreath Jarl, for fetching Black Briar Meade and killing some bandits, and unlocked the ability to purchase land and build a house. Previously I spent an hour trying to buy land but the Jarl wouldn't grant quests and his steward kept giving me the same radiant slay dragon quest that led no where.

Thanks much to Samurai Ralan!
This has also been looked into at length. I've said that I have a character who HAS completed the Amulet of Arkay quests who can NOT buy Falkreath land and IS thane there and another who HASN'T completed the Amulet of Arkay quest and CAN buy Falkreath land.

This quest is NOT a deciding factor.
buggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #92
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggss View Post
This has also been looked into at length. I've said that I have a character who HAS completed the Amulet of Arkay quests who can NOT buy Falkreath land and IS thane there and another who HASN'T completed the Amulet of Arkay quest and CAN buy Falkreath land.

This quest is NOT a deciding factor.
I didn't get the option to purchase land until I completed quests for the Jarl. Since miscellaneous quests sometimes do not list an originator (kill giant here, rid this place of bandit leader), you could try to complete as many of the generic quests as you can and go speak to the Jarl, or just get some more jobs from him until he offers you some land.
Nitnoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #93
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnoid View Post
I didn't get the option to purchase land until I completed quests for the Jarl. Since miscellaneous quests sometimes do not list an originator (kill giant here, rid this place of bandit leader), you could try to complete as many of the generic quests as you can and go speak to the Jarl, or just get some more jobs from him until he offers you some land.
Only the steward (The female altmer, Neranya I think) gives quests here, I'd completed the Jarl's 2 quests, (bandits and reserve) quests and become a thane there a LONG time before Hearthfire appeared but he always refers to me as a miserable wretch no matter how many of the rare radiant quests Neranya hands out to me. I've also done all of the quests for the people in the Falkreath area and completed the civil war quest-line in favour of the empire.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #94
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Quote:
Only the steward (The female altmer, Neranya I think) gives quests here, I'd completed the Jarl's 2 quests, (bandits and reserve) quests and become a thane there a LONG time before Hearthfire appeared but he always refers to me as a miserable wretch no matter how many of the rare radiant quests Neranya hands out to me. I've also done all of the quests for the people in the Falkreath area and completed the civil war quest-line in favour of the empire.
That may be the problem then. Once I completed the bandit extermination job, he made me Thane and offered the land. I had not obtained that title prior to Hearthfire.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #95
ecto69

ecto69's Gamercard
Quote:
That may be the problem then. Once I completed the bandit extermination job, he made me Thane and offered the land. I had not obtained that title prior to Hearthfire.
Yup same here , first time with 1st character just playing the dlc content. I lost track of all the misc quests and just did them until I found the Falkreath ones.

Guessing that if you start on an old save from main game glitches are possible.
Maybe a npc died and you can't progress, but Bethesda usually fixes these issues. Hmmm.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #96
buggss

Quote:
I wish but no, my first main character I stopped using well before Hearthfire who was also a thane had no problem buying the land either, as I said elsewhere the ONLY factor that seems to work in every game/save I have is that the woman at half-moon mill being alive allows me to buy the land and when she's dead I can't.

Go figure...
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #97
TheSipuli91

sipuli91's Gamercard
So, no ways to fix this issue? I haven't tried doing more misc quests for the steward to see if she would randomly have the dialogue option eventually so I'm curious if anyone has tried that yet? I can't buy the house in Markarth either as the steward simply refuses to talk to me except for a few occasions when he's willing to give me a quest so I was thinking maybe there is a small chance the steward in Falkreath would suddenly have the dialogue option too? I don't know, wishful thinking I guess. I'm not really that excited about starting a new character :/
TheSipuli91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #98
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSipuli91 View Post
So, no ways to fix this issue? I haven't tried doing more misc quests for the steward to see if she would randomly have the dialogue option eventually so I'm curious if anyone has tried that yet? I can't buy the house in Markarth either as the steward simply refuses to talk to me except for a few occasions when he's willing to give me a quest so I was thinking maybe there is a small chance the steward in Falkreath would suddenly have the dialogue option too? I don't know, wishful thinking I guess. I'm not really that excited about starting a new character :/
Markarth is not part of Hearthfire. Morthal is the town to buy the house.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #99
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
I seem to have a unique problem regarding Falkreath, so I posted this on Bethesda's forum for support for Hearthfire. I have received no responses.:

While I was fortunate enough to get into the betas for both Dawnguard and Dragonborn, I really wish there had been one for Hearthfire since it is the first time I have encountered this significant a glitch in the game. Basically, I simply cannot get the Jarl or the Steward of Falkreath to open the dialogue to purchase land.

I have literally completed damn near everything in the game (now including Dawnguard and Dragonborn). I am already Thane of the three holds in which land can be purchased. As such, I did not receive a letter from the Courier regarding land for sale from any of the three holds – the adoption letter was the only thing added to my inventory. Also, I have completed the Civil War quest line by siding with the Stormcloaks, so instead of the Jarl Siddgeir and Steward Nenya (who originally appointed me Thane), I have their replacements, Dengeir of Stuhn and Tekla respectively.

While I can occasionally get Tekla to open up a dialogue involving killing a dragon or a bandit leader (the one at Embershard Mine seems to be a particularly persistent thorn in the Jarl’s side), no matter how many times I’ve completed these quests, my only reward is a thanks and some gold. I have also completed quests of the same nature picked up from Valga Vinicia in Dead Man’s Drink, but those all end the same way as the ones given by Tekla. The dialogue for purchasing land just does. Not. Come. Up. Ever.

When speaking to each character, besides Tekla's occasional kill-this quests, these are the only dialogue options I receive:

Dengeir - "How are you a better Jarl than Seddgeir?" and "Why did you side with the Stormcloaks?"

Tekla - "You sound nervous about being the new Steward." and "How does a maid become a Steward."

Dengeir generally greets me with a “You’re not as stupid as you look.” But given the backhanded nature of the comment, I don’t know if this means I have his favor or not. So I don’t know if continuing to do these quests will change anything – though I actually suspect not. Based on some things I found on the Interwebs regarding what is a fairly common glitch, apparently, is that there are some radiant side quests that if not completed might gum up the works. So I began running down the list of open quests to complete them all in hopes this might unlock the dialogue.

However, it seems the reason these quests are all still on my list is because I can’t complete them. Let me explain:

Named Quests

• Repairing the Phial – After speaking with Quintus Navale, he asks me to bring him Unmelting Snow, some Mammoth Tusk Powder and a Forsworn Heart. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I already had a Briar Heart in my inventory when starting this quest, when I kill the Forsworn Briarheart in Sundered Towers, the quest does not commence after taking his heart. The quest arrow simply hovers over the corpse. If I travel back to Quintus with the items, he does not respond with dialogue that moves the quest forward.
Incidentally, when during Dragonborn Neloth asks for a Briar Heart, I went back to Sundered Towers. Sure enough the Briarheart was alive again and was still designated by the quest arrow when “Repairing the Phial” is selected. I hoped that maybe there was a slim chance that taking his heart might satisfy both quests. Spoiler: it doesn’t.
Miscellaneous Quests
  • Return to Esbern – Okay, this one I can complete, but I don’t want to. Paarthurnax is just too cool. I can’t bring myself to kill him. I mention it merely for reference that it’s still active in case that means anything.

• Collect bounty from Skald – Well, he thanked me and gave me gold, but the quest never completed. It’s still in my quest log, but Skald is not interested in talking about this subject any longer. In fact, after initially completing the mission, I had a quest arrow with the little doorway follow me around the map telling me where to collect the bounty. This did not persist past the first reload, but now I can no longer select it as an active quest despite the Toggle Active command not being greyed out in the menu. Neither Skald, Jod, Madena nor Bulfrek have any quest dialogues whatsoever. Incidentally, it should be noted that having this quest incomplete did not interfere with Skald offering me the plot of land.

• Kill the leader of Uttering Hills Camp – This one’s kind of strange. After working my way to the leader I find him already dead. The quest arrow is there hovering above his corpse. I can search the body, but nothing comes of that beyond the loot. I fire an arrow into him, but being already dead, nothing at all changed. I even tried re-animating and then killing him again, but this did not satisfy the quest requirements either it seems. I reloaded the game and left his corpse there…

• Find Rjorn’s drum – I have. I gave it back to him, actually. I don’t know why this is still in active quests.

• Purchase a house in Windhelm – Oh, boy. From what I’ve gathered, speaking to Jorleif before completing the quest Blood on the Ice locks the player out of ever being able to purchase the house, Hjerim. He has the dialogue option for it, but will only respond with comments about some recent “unpleasantness” and that the house is not ready for purchase. I do not believe I ever initiated Blood on the Ice since it is neither still in my active quests nor the list of those I’ve completed. Consequently, I can never begin the investigation that completes this quest and opens the dialogue for purchasing the house.
The group of NPCs that is supposed to appear in the graveyard never show up. I have even gone as far to steal the key to Hejerim from Tova Shatter-Shield and unlock the door, but once inside this did not make the quest initiate either. When I search around the mansion, I find places that display the ‘A’ button prompt with the text “Investigate InvestigationTarget”, but pressing ‘A’ has no effect. I can pick up the “Beware the Butcher!” notices but no matter how many I obtain, again the quest does not initiate. I’m not 100% certain, but I believe this prevents me from becoming Thane as well.
  • Report Leifnarr’s death to his family – I would love to do this, but evidently I found Leifnarr’s body before getting this quest from his wife, Grosta, so his family never opens a dialogue string for me to report his demise. Grosta still mutters to herself about where he might be, however.
  • Investigate the Bards College – I have. I’ve completed this quest but it will not drop out of my list. Viarmo has the quest arrow over his head, but his dialogue options are only about how the war has affected the college and what he knows about dragons.
  • Ask Aldis for information about Angeline’s daughter – Seems simple enough, he’s right there in Solitude, but the problem comes with the fact that I’ve already sided with the Stormcloaks in the Civil War quest line before initiating this quest. In turn, Aldis, being an Imperial, has been removed from the map entirely. When this quest is selected, the arrow points to Solitude, and when I arrive it hovers above an open spot on the ground where Aldis would be standing when the Imperials still held the city.
While researching solutions to my problem, I found that some players were having difficulty getting the original Jarl of Falkreath, Sidggeir, to give them the land option because they had not completed a set of radiant quests called Rare Gifts. This is a set of requests for items from various NPC characters, among them is Aldis, all of which must be completed before Siddgeir opens the dialogue option. Now for his part Aldis needs a copy of the semi-rare book, The Mirror, of which I happen to still have a copy. There appear to be at least 3 copies of the book in the world, so I’m not 100% certain whether or not I’ve actually done Aldis’ segment of Rare Gifts.

This is just a theory, but since I cannot recall having talked to Aldis at all, I may never have done his segment of this quest, may have never given him the book and now I cannot due to the conditions I mentioned above. Perhaps, despite the fact that the Jarl of Falkreath has been replaced by Dengeir, the condition that all of the Rare Gifts quests need to be completed for the Jarl (or Steward) to give the dialogue option to buy land has been held over and is still in play? My basis for this theory stems from the fact that this is the only quest I mention that has any connection to Falkreath, albeit tangentially by Aldis’ connection to Siddgeir through the Rare Gifts quest and not directly to Dengeir and/or Tekla.

I must emphasize that given that reportedly I must reach level 78 before I’ll see a Legendary Dragon, I really don’t want to have to re-start a game just to get the last 2
Hearthfire achievements. Is there any way to loosen whatever criteria is necessary to get Dengeir and Tekla to sell me the final plot of land?

I really think I'm screwed, tho'.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #100
buggss

@ Jack Frost:

It's not unique at all, with the exception of a few quests my problem seems extremely similar.

2 things:

1) Have you killed the female vampire at Half-moon mill near Falkreath or is she still "alive"?

2) I also have a quest I can't hand in to Skald and the inactive diamond refuses to change to an active arrow. If your mill female is alive I'm starting to think Skald may well be our causal factor for the problem. However I sided with the Imperials in the civil war and in my game Skald's holed up in the Palace of the kings at the main meal table watched over by some newly assigned Imperial guards.

Any thoughts on these?

P.S. I did start a new character who'd had no connection with Falkreath whatsoever and the ONLY quests she did for Siddgeir was the "kill the bandits in Ember mine". No "help the people" requirement and she wasn't a thane in Falkreath.

Last edited by buggss; 01-16-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #101
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
@ Jack Frost:

It's not unique at all, with the exception of a few quests my problem seems extremely similar.
Well, that's good to know because in searching for anyone who's having problems with Falkreath, I find they are dealing with Seddgeir most of the time or they've sided with the Imperials, so all of the solutions offered just don't apply to me.

Quote:
2 things:

1) Have you killed the female vampire at Half-moon mill near Falkreath or is she still "alive"?
Not sure. Is she the woman running the mill? If so, then she is definitely still alive.

Quote:
2) I also have a quest I can't hand in to Skald and the inactive diamond refuses to change to an active arrow. If your mill female is alive I'm starting to think Skald may well be our causal factor for the problem. However I sided with the Imperials in the civil war and in my game Skald's holed up in the Palace of the kings at the main meal table watched over by some newly assigned Imperial guards.
But Skald doesn't have any connection to Falkreath, and in fact is one of the three Jarls that'll allow you to buy land. As I mentioned, he had no problem selling the plot to me despite not finishing his quest. So while I can see the connection, I'm really not sure how it pertains to either of our problems. But then this game has buggy things like that so...

While searching for fixes, the most common thing I came across that worked for others seemed to be that they didn't complete a set of radiant quests called Rare Gifts that involved Seddgeir and several others before Seddgeir would open the dialogue for land purchase.

So when I discovered that Dengeir also has a set of radiant quests that he's part of called Some Light Theft, I went ahead and made sure I had those quests done. The only one I hadn't completed in the set was for an Argonian in Windhelm, but completing the quest set still didn't unlock the dialogue for me, but you might want to look into it. :/

Quote:
P.S. I did start a new character who'd had no connection with Falkreath whatsoever and the ONLY quests she did for Siddgeir was the "kill the bandits in Ember mine". No "help the people" requirement and she wasn't a thane in Falkreath.
And what was the outcome? Were you able to purchase the plot of land?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #102
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
Well, that's good to know because in searching for anyone who's having problems with Falkreath, I find they are dealing with Seddgeir most of the time or they've sided with the Imperials, so all of the solutions offered just don't apply to me.
Like I mentioned I did complete the Imperial side, I can't stand the Stormcloaks since reading the Thalmor report that Ulfric works for them to de-stabalise the area . I'm trying to identify the differences, the similarities and what effects each situation.

Quote:
Not sure. Is she the woman running the mill? If so, then she is definitely still alive.
Yes and damn, she seemed to be one thing that was always the same until then .

Quote:
But Skald doesn't have any connection to Falkreath, and in fact is one of the three Jarls that'll allow you to buy land. As I mentioned, he had no problem selling the plot to me despite not finishing his quest. So while I can see the connection, I'm really not sure how it pertains to either of our problems. But then this game has buggy things like that so...

While searching for fixes, the most common thing I came across that worked for others seemed to be that they didn't complete a set of radiant quests called Rare Gifts that involved Seddgeir and several others before Seddgeir would open the dialogue for land purchase.

So when I discovered that Dengeir also has a set of radiant quests that he's part of called Some Light Theft, I went ahead and made sure I had those quests done. The only one I hadn't completed in the set was for an Argonian in Windhelm, but completing the quest set still didn't unlock the dialogue for me, but you might want to look into it. :/
Can do, are you talking about an Argonian in the docks? If so, which one? If I remember that quest name properly isn't it something about stealing a letter or a random item from a random person? I'm quite certain I've already done that for Dengeir whilst he was just walking around Falkreath when Siddgeir is still Jarl.

Quote:
And what was the outcome? Were you able to purchase the plot of land?
Yes, no problem at all, nothing but the Ember mine bandit quest and the cash for the land.

The worst part of this is they put certain conditions in the game you pay for, you follow them, then buy another piece of the game which you can only partially use. Naff....
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #103
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Quote:
Like I mentioned I did complete the Imperial side, I can't stand the Stormcloaks since reading the Thalmor report that Ulfric works for them to de-stabalise the area . I'm trying to identify the differences, the similarities and what effects each situation.
I can dig that. But right now, I am having a very difficult time seeing any kind of pattern in these various situations beyond something is clearly not coded correctly for Falkreath - especially after Dengeir becomes Jarl.

I even tried this:
  1. I backed out of my current game and deleted the Hearthfire DLC.
  2. Reloaded the game without Hearthfire. (It told me some assets would be missing because the DLC wasn't there, but otherwise it loaded fine.)
  3. Saved this Hearthfire-less version and backed out again.
  4. Re-downloaded the Hearthfire DLC.
  5. Loaded up the save game created in step 3.
  6. Courier arrives and tells me he's got a letter from a Jarl and mentions adoption.
  7. Open my inventory, there is no letter whatsoever from any Jarl in any hold but Consider Adoption is there, as always.
So it seems I'm not even getting the letter in the first place, which I just don't understand. Even if I couldn't finish the quest, I should still have the letter in my inventory, but it simply is not there.

Quote:
Yes and damn, she seemed to be one thing that was always the same until then .
Someone on the Bethesda forum suggested I go and sell her firewood to see what happens, so I did. She paid me, but nothing changed. So the person suggested I go cut wood for her this time. Haven't tried that yet, but I do not have high hopes it'll move things along.

Quote:
Can do, are you talking about an Argonian in the docks? If so, which one? If I remember that quest name properly isn't it something about stealing a letter or a random item from a random person? I'm quite certain I've already done that for Dengeir whilst he was just walking around Falkreath when Siddgeir is still Jarl.
The Argonian's name is Stands-in-Shallows and he wants a bottle of Double-Distilled Skooma that can be found in a nearby pub in Windhelm.

For Dengeir, he wants a letter from Lod's place, and, like you, I did this for him when Seddgeir was Jarl. But given that Rare Gifts needed to have all segments complete before Seddgeir coughs up the land option, I figured that might apply to Dengier as well. So far, I'm incorrect, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Here's a link to the wiki page for the quests:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Some_Light_Theft

Quote:
The worst part of this is they put certain conditions in the game you pay for, you follow them, then buy another piece of the game which you can only partially use. Naff....
Absolutely.

If Hearthfire had come out within a month or so of the original game, that's one thing, but this thing came out so long after I'd completed the game (and I know I'm not the only one) that to make the conditions be so cryptic and arbitrary is just a dick move.

Like I said in my post to them, I really wish there'd been a beta because then the problem might've actually gotten addressed.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #104
Gusterrhoid

Gusterrhoid's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowX1790 View Post
Ok. I had the same thing happen and the Jarl eventually said I was able to buy land, but the Steward doesn't give me the option to buy the land. What did I do wrong?
I had this same problem. I was able to complete the Mead/Bandit Leader quests, then he thanks me and says I can buy land. I talk to the steward immediately after and didn't get the option. I check in occasionally and get the jobs to kill a dragon of bandit leader but that's it. I did kill what's his name for the DB before I ever spoke to anyone in Falkreath but I was not seen. His body has never disappeared though. I also killed the girl at the mill for DB. I have completed all rare gifts quests and most of the local jobs (not sure if all, but certainly enough that I should get the Thane option - but I don't). I'm going to try siding with Ulfric to change Jarls, that's all I can think that might work.
Gusterrhoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #105
JesseP1234

CrosshairSnipe's Gamercard
DB quest line screws the quest up
JesseP1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #106
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseP1234 View Post
DB quest line screws the quest up
Check the whole thread before posting.

I've already completely disproved this, having a character who has killed Helvard during the DB quest-line and has still much later had no problem buying the Falkreath plot.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #107
ecto69

ecto69's Gamercard
Quote:
Check the whole thread before posting.

I've already completely disproved this, having a character who has killed Helvard during the DB quest-line and has still much later had no problem buying the Falkreath plot.
Very true in one of my plays Helvard is not there and replaced by someone else (I think it is the woman that was friends with the Jarl)

I think it also depends on which side of civil war you pick it iirc
Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #108
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto69 View Post
Very true in one of my plays Helvard is not there and replaced by someone else (I think it is the woman that was friends with the Jarl)

I think it also depends on which side of civil war you pick it iirc
Again not absolutely certain but I don't think so. I can't stand the idea of the Stormcloaks and have followed the Imperial side every time. However 2 of those can buy Falkreath just fine and one can't.

My guess if you can't progress in any Jarl-related stories if you have one still not completed with another jarl. Therefore my bounty that I can't hand in to jarl Skald is probably stopping anything moving forward with Siddgeir.

I'd say an easy way to solve this considering what they got done in this up-coming new patch is to allow us to just abandon and wipe any radiant quest as they are never part of the storyline but seem to be able to screw it up when you don't complete them.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #109
ecto69

ecto69's Gamercard
Quote:
Again not absolutely certain but I don't think so. I can't stand the idea of the Stormcloaks and have followed the Imperial side every time. However 2 of those can buy Falkreath just fine and one can't.
On my second play I sided with stormcloaks.
I bought all homes and upgrades in basic game
Don't recall doing the quests discussed ie Mirror for imperial guy. However might have done some of them.

There are possible so many variables in this issue that it makes even the developers job difficult. Just a guess

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #110
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

I just wonder if a lot of these problems/glitches are a result of siding with one faction or another. I waited to do the main story after I did all of the guild quests. Then I waited until the main story was complete before I did the civil war quests. I didn't experience any of the glitches others have reported since the beginning. It certainly is odd.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #111
SkyrimPlayer

Okay, so I can't buy land from Falkreath either. I sided with the Stormcloaks, and have completed that questline, so I have the Jarl Dengeir of Stuhn and Tekla as the Steward. I've also completed the main questline, along with DB, Thieves guild, Companions etc. I wasn't a Thane in Falkreath before I downloaded Hearthfire, and I'm still not. During the DB quests I did kill Helvard, not sure if anyone saw me or not, no one attacked me so I'm assuming they didn't. I also killed Hern and his wife. I did all of this before downloading Hearthfire. After downloading it I immediately went to Whiterun and received two letters from the courier. One about adoption and another about upgrading my house in Whiterun. I never received a letter about buying land, and still haven't. I proceeded to update my house (so that I had a childs bedroom instead of an alchemy lab) and then went directly to Falkreath. I didn't have the option to buy land, and at the time I didn't know about any particular quests I had to do and just assumed the option would come up at some point. So, instead I went to Dawnstar, bought and built a house there. Once I had finished I went back to Falkreath to see if the option was there. It wasn't. The only dialogue options I had was:
For the Jarl: Why did you side with the Stormcloaks?
And: How are you a better Jarl then Siddgeir?
For Tekla: You sound nervous about being the new Steward.
And: How does a maid become a Steward?
I only had another option from Tekla once and that was to kill a chief bandit (I can't remember where).
I've fetched the mead and killed the bandits, also I have done all of the quests that you were supposed to do so you could buy land. However, I'm not sure if I have done the Captain Aldis quest, and cannot do the other Misc. quest for him (Ask Aldis for information about Angeline's daughter) due to me completing the Civil War questline in favor of the Stormcloaks. Whenever I put the quest on active it merely has an arrow pointing to where he once stood in Castle Dour. Also, I haven't killed Paarthurnax, although I am not sure if that makes a difference or not? I have emailed the Bethesda support and I am still waiting for a reply.
I know this probably didn't help much, but I've been reading everything you've all said and felt the need to share my story
SkyrimPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #112
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyrimPlayer View Post
Okay, so I can't buy land from Falkreath either. I sided with the Stormcloaks, and have completed that questline, so I have the Jarl Dengeir of Stuhn and Tekla as the Steward. I've also completed the main questline, along with DB, Thieves guild, Companions etc. I wasn't a Thane in Falkreath before I downloaded Hearthfire, and I'm still not. During the DB quests I did kill Helvard, not sure if anyone saw me or not, no one attacked me so I'm assuming they didn't. I also killed Hern and his wife. I did all of this before downloading Hearthfire. After downloading it I immediately went to Whiterun and received two letters from the courier. One about adoption and another about upgrading my house in Whiterun. I never received a letter about buying land, and still haven't. I proceeded to update my house (so that I had a childs bedroom instead of an alchemy lab) and then went directly to Falkreath. I didn't have the option to buy land, and at the time I didn't know about any particular quests I had to do and just assumed the option would come up at some point. So, instead I went to Dawnstar, bought and built a house there. Once I had finished I went back to Falkreath to see if the option was there. It wasn't. The only dialogue options I had was:
For the Jarl: Why did you side with the Stormcloaks?
And: How are you a better Jarl then Siddgeir?
For Tekla: You sound nervous about being the new Steward.
And: How does a maid become a Steward?
I only had another option from Tekla once and that was to kill a chief bandit (I can't remember where).
I've fetched the mead and killed the bandits, also I have done all of the quests that you were supposed to do so you could buy land. However, I'm not sure if I have done the Captain Aldis quest, and cannot do the other Misc. quest for him (Ask Aldis for information about Angeline's daughter) due to me completing the Civil War questline in favor of the Stormcloaks. Whenever I put the quest on active it merely has an arrow pointing to where he once stood in Castle Dour. Also, I haven't killed Paarthurnax, although I am not sure if that makes a difference or not? I have emailed the Bethesda support and I am still waiting for a reply.
I know this probably didn't help much, but I've been reading everything you've all said and felt the need to share my story
The only thing that I spotted was missing was any bounty quests other jarls/stewards have sent you on that you've not completed, not handed in or that have become uncompletable on your quest list.

Do any of these apply to you?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #113
SkyrimPlayer

Quote:
The only thing that I spotted was missing was any bounty quests other jarls/stewards have sent you on that you've not completed, not handed in or that have become uncompletable on your quest list.

Do any of these apply to you?
No, they don't. I've managed to complete and hand back in every bounty quest the Jarls/stewards have given me, so far. The quests have then disappeared from my quest list.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #114
SkyrimPlayer

However, I do have a couple of other Misc. quests that I can't complete, although they aren't bounty ones.
Speak to Degaine: I gained this after speaking to the inn-keeper in Markarth telling me that Degaine had been chucked out of the temple of Dibella. However I had already completed this quest and it was started by speaking to Degaine first a while ago. Whenever I make the quest active it merely puts a marker over Degaine's head If I talk to him I only have the option to give him a gold piece or give him a drink.
Report Leifnarrs death to his family: I can't do this either, but evidently I found Leifnarrs body before getting this quest from his wife Grosta so his family never opens an option for me to tell them of his death.
Ask Aldis for information about Angelines daughter: I got this quest after siding with the Stormcloaks in the Civil War quest line and completing it. Due to Aldis being an Imperial he has been removed from the game. When I select this quest there is merely an marker pointing to where he would have stood in Castle Dour, Solitude, had the Imperials still been there.
I don't know if any of these make a difference?
Also, I received this reply from the Bethesda support team, via email:

Hello,

Due to the nature of open world games like Skyrim it's not possible to tell you the one thing you need to do to resolve your issue.
Therefore I'd like to refer you to the following forum where other players have detailed how they have resolved a similar problem:

http://www.gameskyrim.com/not-gettin...r-t288173.html

Also please ensure you have no bounty on your head in the hold where you would like to buy the land.

If these suggestions don't resolve your issue you would unfortunately need to return to a previous save as the issue will be linked to your savedata. I'm afraid it's not possible to loosen the criteria for buying land.

Best regards,
Julie
Bethesda Technical Support

Not really much help, as I don't have a save that goes that far back.

Last edited by SkyrimPlayer; 04-10-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: I had more info.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #115
buggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyrimPlayer View Post
However, I do have a couple of other Misc. quests that I can't complete, although they aren't bounty ones.
Speak to Degaine: I gained this after speaking to the inn-keeper in Markarth telling me that Degaine had been chucked out of the temple of Dibella. However I had already completed this quest and it was started by speaking to Degaine first a while ago. Whenever I make the quest active it merely puts a marker over Degaine's head If I talk to him I only have the option to give him a gold piece or give him a drink.
Report Leifnarrs death to his family: I can't do this either, but evidently I found Leifnarrs body before getting this quest from his wife Grosta so his family never opens an option for me to tell them of his death.
Ask Aldis for information about Angelines daughter: I got this quest after siding with the Stormcloaks in the Civil War quest line and completing it. Due to Aldis being an Imperial he has been removed from the game. When I select this quest there is merely an marker pointing to where he would have stood in Castle Dour, Solitude, had the Imperials still been there.
I don't know if any of these make a difference?
Also, I received this reply from the Bethesda support team, via email:

Hello,

Due to the nature of open world games like Skyrim it's not possible to tell you the one thing you need to do to resolve your issue.
Therefore I'd like to refer you to the following forum where other players have detailed how they have resolved a similar problem:

http://www.gameskyrim.com/not-gettin...r-t288173.html

Also please ensure you have no bounty on your head in the hold where you would like to buy the land.

If these suggestions don't resolve your issue you would unfortunately need to return to a previous save as the issue will be linked to your savedata. I'm afraid it's not possible to loosen the criteria for buying land.

Best regards,
Julie
Bethesda Technical Support

Not really much help, as I don't have a save that goes that far back.
Unfortunately if you look back through the threads we've been mulling it over here for several months you'll see that Julie is right, everyone seems to have differing factors causing the same problem and now that you've said you've not got any bounty quests to hand in and you still can't get the Lakeview plot it's killed one of the more promising causes.

Also that link is completely useless. Several of the claims it makes are wrong as is explained in this thread in earlier pages. It just seems no one specific factor decides if you're offered the land or not.

Basically we're screwed.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #116
SkyrimPlayer

Quote:
Unfortunately if you look back through the threads we've been mulling it over here for several months you'll see that Julie is right, everyone seems to have differing factors causing the same problem and now that you've said you've not got any bounty quests to hand in and you still can't get the Lakeview plot it's killed one of the more promising causes.

Also that link is completely useless. Several of the claims it makes are wrong as is explained in this thread in earlier pages. It just seems no one specific factor decides if you're offered the land or not.

Basically we're screwed.
I know, I have been reading through all the threads, and I am unfortunate enough as to not have a save before downloading Hearthfire, and I know that there are many different reasons as to why it won't work. Despite us saying that Bethesda should fix it, I also don't think that it is actually possible for them to fix at the present time.
I had a look at the link and it didn't help at all.
Yeah. Pretty much. :/
Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #117
Eggnogga

Eggnogga's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I did eventually manage to buy the land. I had to complete a couple radiant quests that were pending, then talked to Nenya who gave me a couple quests, and finally had to get the Jarl some Black Briar Mead and kill a bandit leader. After all that, he said if I helped the people out I could become Thane, but I was able to buy the land at this point.
Eggnogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #118
Goku4

i had none of those quests pending in my misc section and yet i had this problem , so i just went to those people who are responsible for these quests , triggered it then completed it and now the jarl of falkreath is giving me the quests..

hope this helps you guys

its 2013 and they still haven't fixed this freaking bug , even the collector's edition is out , why is bethesda doing this
Goku4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #119
TirelessFiver

TirelessFiver's Gamercard
Having issues with buying the land in Falkreath, sided with the Stormcloaks and am a Thane in Falkreath. I do not have any quests available from Tekla or Seddgier but the bartender in Falkreath keeps giving me quests to do various things then turn into Tekla when completed. Hoping these will bump me to be able to get this land. Going to do a few more before reloading an old save file to get these achievements. Only wanted to mention to talk to the bartender for these Falkreath "go kill" quests since I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread.
TirelessFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #120
SkyrimPlayer

Thank you guys for telling us, but if you'd read back a bit then you would see that everyone has basically already covered that, and it didn't work:/ I don't think Bethesda is gonna bother fixing it, it's such a wide spread bug/glitch/whatever, and a lot of us have different 'symptoms' for it. Plus, they're probably focusing more on TES Online at the moment, and all that shizznit...
As buggss said, us who still haven't found a way to fix it are screwed...