PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim > Hearthfire
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
A 7thProduction

A 7thProduction's Gamercard
Cannot hire a bard

**FIX** Sorta...
Just a bit of a notice to anyone looking at this with the same problem. The order you get your steward to purchase improvements to the house does in fact affect your ability to hire a bard. I tested it on two game saves and you should always hire a bard before you purchase the three chickens. It was only the chickens which seemed to be affecting it.
**FIX**

I have Lakeview Manor in Falkreath hold. I built my house, got a wife, adopted children, hired a steward, killed of the local mudcrab population, watched my cow get slaughtered and I'm sure you get the rest of the picture. Anyways while I was doing all this I was gradually asking my stewards to hire a carriage, get a horse and such but when I finally came to hiring a bard I found that I no longer had the option. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone found a fix if you have? I absolutely love the bards and I was excited about having one at home.

Last edited by A 7thProduction; 09-27-2012 at 01:55 PM.
A 7thProduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A 7thProduction View Post
I have Lakeview Manor in Falkreath hold. I built my house, got a wife, adopted children, hired a steward, killed of the local mudcrab population, watched my cow get slaughtered and I'm sure you get the rest of the picture. Anyways while I was doing all this I was gradually asking my stewards to hire a carriage, get a horse and such but when I finally came to hiring a bard I found that I no longer had the option. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone found a fix if you have? I absolutely love the bards and I was excited about having one at home.
I use the Lakeview Manor as my main house and got the bard immediately. He has a beautiful singing voice btw. He performs a new song called "A Tale of Tongues." I love this song. I really wish there was an option to set him on permanent repeat so he'd sing it every time I come home.

As to a solution for your problem, I'm afraid I'm not sure. I'd recommend trying to wait a few days and see if the dialogue with your steward changes. Hopefully it works out for you. Having a personal bard is a really cool addition to the game in my opinion.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
MewMew

MewMew34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A 7thProduction View Post

Did you make sure to have enough beds? You may need another bed, even though I've never seen my bard sleep. (have seen him looking like he's about to pass out at the table, though XD) If you have all the beds built, then I'm not sure what's wrong. I got my bard right away. I love that he sings Ragnar the Red.

MewMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
A 7thProduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodGodAlucard View Post
I use the Lakeview Manor as my main house and got the bard immediately. He has a beautiful singing voice btw. He performs a new song called "A Tale of Tongues." I love this song. I really wish there was an option to set him on permanent repeat so he'd sing it every time I come home.

As to a solution for your problem, I'm afraid I'm not sure. I'd recommend trying to wait a few days and see if the dialogue with your steward changes. Hopefully it works out for you. Having a personal bard is a really cool addition to the game in my opinion.
I hate that I can't get a bard even more now that he has a new song!
I have tried waiting a few days to see if I get the option again but to no luck. I actually check everytime I go back home. I feel like I may need a new save to get him at Lakeview Manor. Guess it won't be so bad...I already give the game more hours than I probably should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewMew View Post
Did you make sure to have enough beds? You may need another bed, even though I've never seen my bard sleep. (have seen him looking like he's about to pass out at the table, though XD) If you have all the beds built, then I'm not sure what's wrong. I got my bard right away. I love that he sings Ragnar the Red.
I have plenty of beds as I also created the bedroom wing. I did wonder about not having enough beds but I actually lost the option to hire before I adopted any children. Guess Skyrim couldn't let me get through this save bug free!

Last edited by A 7thProduction; 09-14-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Vincent D. Vanderol

Vanderol's Gamercard
I have the same problem, and I think it has to do with the order in which you acquire your...uhm...live assets.

I went first with carriage and horse, continued on to cow and chickens and after that the option for a bard was gone. So for now I guess one should hire the bard first of all things. >__>

Smells like bug for me, but in games this big I never know if it's a bug or an intended feature.

There's nothing like a brush with death to make you...not like death much.
Vincent D. Vanderol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
A 7thProduction

It could be that. I went horse to carriage and then chickens and cow. I'd say the best thing to do is hire every single of them at the same time.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
A 7thProduction

Just a bit of a notice to anyone looking at this with the same problem. The order you get your steward to purchase improvements to the house does in fact affect your ability to hire a bard. I tested it on two game saves and you should always hire a bard before you purchase the three chickens. It was only the chickens which seemed to be affecting it.
I'll edit the first post and put this in.

Last edited by A 7thProduction; 09-27-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
ArcanaAwaits

Arcana Awaits's Gamercard
I actually encountered a similar issue, as well. I found that if you purchase three chickens, the steward's options suddenly become unavailable (at least for purchasing a bard). I'm not sure if this can offer much credibility since it fixed MY problem there, but it could be a very potential and menial fix.
ArcanaAwaits is offline   Reply With Quote