Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Fallout 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
duff28

duff28's Gamercard
Buy Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

I have never played a Fallout game before but i have 100% Skyrim.

What would you recommend i buy?

(Also posted in the New Vegas forum)
duff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
romanzad

romanzad's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by duff28 View Post
I have never played a Fallout game before but i have 100% Skyrim.

What would you recommend i buy?

(Also posted in the New Vegas forum)
I loved both games but if i had a choice of which one to play through again it would defiantly be Fallout 3
romanzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
snipingheadshot

Send a message via AIM to snipingheadshot

Faux News 79's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I played both and I think Fallout 3 is better. I have actually played through it more than once. I can't say that about New Vegas.
You're an idiot. Your dog is black. They're going to the movies. There is my car. Their dog is gone. It had no effect on me. That didn't affect me. We left, then we went to the store. He is smarter than you. It's time to leave. That dog lost its collar. His pants are loose. He is going to lose the game. I am going to the store. He has two dogs. I want to go, too. What clothes are you going to wear? They were going to the store. Where are the dogs? If we ignore bad grammar, we condone it.
snipingheadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
DBR

it depends on what you're looking for if you want more content and better gameplay new vegas is the one you want, but if you'd rather like a better story, better quests and more interesting characters fallout 3 is the one you want. but if you can afford it just by both, they are both really fun games that everyone should try out
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
IM SUPATED

IM SUPATED's Gamercard
both are well worth the buy if you can afford them,otherwise go for the first one fallout 3,personally think it is one of the best games ever
IM SUPATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Qonok

Qonok's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
If you get either, then grab the versions with all of the DLC. GoTY Version for Fallout 3 and the Ultimate Version for Fallout New Vegas.

Qonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
GloryWebTv

nickgamer51's Gamercard
if you are talking about xbox, get both they are amazing games. if you mean computer get new vegas because most computers these days can't play FO3.
GloryWebTv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Jack Frost

MEETSP1NNER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
As I said in the other thread:

Just get them both.

You will eventually.

Trust me.
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #9
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryWebTv View Post
if you are talking about xbox, get both they are amazing games. if you mean computer get new vegas because most computers these days can't play FO3.
Huh? What do you mean? I'm running them both on a Mac in Crossover just fine, albeit with the Tale of Two Wastelands mod, but I see no reason why a PC user should have any issue when I'm playing it on a computer that's not even supported. Just make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM, because both Fallouts eat RAM, 4+ GB with NVSE or FOSE 4GB enabler is best if you have it.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
Dz06lt

DZ06LT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Fallout 3 is far superior in every way. NV is ok but if you can get only one game get 3
Old 09-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   Subscriber - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz06lt View Post
Fallout 3 is far superior in every way.
New Vegas is far superior in every way.

#opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.
Veedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
Dz06lt

DZ06LT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedrock View Post
New Vegas is far superior in every way.

#opinions
yeah, no. .
Old 09-22-2012, 03:43 AM   #13
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz06lt View Post
yeah, no. .
The correct answer is neither. :-P They both have their strengths and weaknesses and it all just boils down to what matters more to you.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #14
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Rent them both and decide.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
CHIRUNO99

chiruno99's Gamercard
I like both, Fallout 3 is like being thrown into a wide wide world and given quests to put things right across the map, whereas New Vegas I feel like I'm travelling area to area doing quests where I can slightly manipulate the quest line.

Buy Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics.

Self Proclaimed Most Hated Member in the X360A Community.
CHIRUNO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
THC BLUNTED

THC BLUNTED's Gamercard
Well they are both good games but I think fallout 3 is much better. It has a better story, setting and better npcs. New Vegas is also tons of fun but it just doesn't have the impact like fallout 3 did for me.

I have played fallout 3 several times and new Vegas twice. But you should play both because they are awesome and the dlc's are also really good!
THC BLUNTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
FeatherbottomMR

Just get them both and enjoy
FeatherbottomMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
They are both good but have some differences. Fallout 3 is more about wandering in the wastelands and exploring locations with less than 20 side quests but the main story is very good.
NV has more than 70 side quests with little less of exploration. But it has a better gameplay including hardcore mode, weapons mods and factions standings. One small thing though, NV DLCs tend to corrupt save games sometimes, so my advice is to install the main game, play until you reach level 30, then install the DLCs and continue your game saving very often.

Achievements completion : 99,39%
Gamerscore completion : 99,35%
Retail games completed : 70/74
I'm a completionist!!!

If you send a friend request, please send a message telling why, otherwise I will just ignore it
Snoop QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #19
klokwerk

Kl0kwerk's Gamercard
Go for new vegas. The story in Fallout 3 isn't that good and the gameplay in new vegas a a few notches above Fallout 3.

May 28, 2010 April 2, 2011
klokwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
OrionSatsume

mastrchief34's Gamercard
There's no reason to think someone can't get them both, they can be had for $10 or less on Amazon...so that right there isn't that important.

Which one is the better game? Honestly, they play exactly the same. The difference is in the storylines and the the slight edge New Vegas gets for customization (weapon mods, character traits, craftable items, etc).

Since there is little value in playing one before the other, just pick up which ever one you want. I personally think New Vegas is the better game for a few reasons, but both are great, packed with content, and a lot of fun.
OrionSatsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
AKfoy0face

AKfoy0face's Gamercard
FALLOUT 3 for sure... i just enjoyed it more and beat it didnt play any of the DLC, but picked up the fallout 3 GOTY and im on the pitts... im looking for a NV GOTY if they even have it
Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKfoy0face View Post
FALLOUT 3 for sure... i just enjoyed it more and beat it didnt play any of the DLC, but picked up the fallout 3 GOTY and im on the pitts... im looking for a NV GOTY if they even have it
The NV GotY is called Ultimate Edition and has all 6 DLCs.

Achievements completion : 99,39%
Gamerscore completion : 99,35%
Retail games completed : 70/74
I'm a completionist!!!

If you send a friend request, please send a message telling why, otherwise I will just ignore it
Snoop QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 AM   #23
Tine5150

Tine5150's Gamercard
Fallout 3 is better, new vegas seemed more glitchy to me
Tine5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #24
One Winged Joker

DarkSephiroth93's Gamercard
I found them both amazing games. I missed things of the other one every time I was playing one of them. I also think Skyrim is awesome.

In my opinion, you should go and buy both of them. They're so alike that it's unlikely you're going to enjoy one of them and not the other one. Besides, they should be quite cheap by now. I recently bought New Vegas for PC for $4.

One Winged Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #25
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Joker View Post
I found them both amazing games. I missed things of the other one every time I was playing one of them. I also think Skyrim is awesome.

In my opinion, you should go and buy both of them. They're so alike that it's unlikely you're going to enjoy one of them and not the other one. Besides, they should be quite cheap by now. I recently bought New Vegas for PC for $4.
Make sure to load it up with mods! That's what the PC version is all about. If you haven't yet, check out: newvegas.nexusmods.com

They have like 10,000 mods (although, there are a lot of crap ones in there). Also, if you have Fallout 3, check out Tale of Two wastelands, so you can play FO3 inside of New Vegas (turns it into a giant DLC for NV, with all the new features of NV).
Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
One Winged Joker

DarkSephiroth93's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFkraut View Post
Make sure to load it up with mods! That's what the PC version is all about. If you haven't yet, check out: newvegas.nexusmods.com

They have like 10,000 mods (although, there are a lot of crap ones in there). Also, if you have Fallout 3, check out Tale of Two wastelands, so you can play FO3 inside of New Vegas (turns it into a giant DLC for NV, with all the new features of NV).
I always played Fallout 3 and New Vegas on my 360, but it seems there's plenty of new things to do on PC! Thanks, I'll look into it!

One Winged Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #27
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Joker View Post
I always played Fallout 3 and New Vegas on my 360, but it seems there's plenty of new things to do on PC! Thanks, I'll look into it!
No problem! If your PC is up to it try "NMCs Texture Pack" and an ENB mod of your choice. The game will look as good as Skyrim, which is really saying something!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #28
YBEAR

ybear's Gamercard
both are basically the same game, different storyline, so get fallout3 first then new vegas
YBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
ColdCokeCan

ColdCokeCan's Gamercard
you should get both but play fallout 3 first
ColdCokeCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #30
ReaptheChaos

ReaptheChaos's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFkraut View Post
Huh? What do you mean? I'm running them both on a Mac in Crossover just fine, albeit with the Tale of Two Wastelands mod, but I see no reason why a PC user should have any issue when I'm playing it on a computer that's not even supported. Just make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM, because both Fallouts eat RAM, 4+ GB with NVSE or FOSE 4GB enabler is best if you have it.
Like most older computer games, they weren't programmed for newer operating systems. Technically Fallout 3 isn't compatible with windows 7. That being said, I've been running it fine on my windows 7 machine, I did have to make one minor edit to the .ini file though.

Fallout 3 isn't compatible with cpu's that have more than 2 cores, you simply have to edit it's ini file to only use two and you should have no problems.

BTW, The Tale of Two Wastelands mod makes Fallout 3 run in the New Vegas engine, which is most likely why you haven't had any issues.

If its true that what you donít know cant hurt you, then you must be practically invincible!

Last edited by ReaptheChaos; 12-01-2012 at 03:24 PM.
ReaptheChaos is offline   Reply With Quote