PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: Did the party chat kill multiplayer?
Yes 12 35.29%
No 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
fallout frank

IIX DBO XII's Gamercard
Did the party chat kill multiplayer?

Was talking to friends about this last night and we all had mixed opinions so I thought I would put it to you guys.

In my opinion it did, my fondest gaming memories all took place before party chat was intigrated, halo 3, cod 4, cod waw, rainbow 6, it just seemed like those games had much more of a competative and social feel to them, were as now it just feels like im playing against bots all the time.

Even if you choose not to be in a party everyone else is, I used to love all the smack talk before a game and then the still silence from the team that lossed or a barrage of excuses as to why they lossed, and even talking to people that would later become good friends is no longer possible because now there is just one loner screaming, making stupid noises or playing music to loud. Sure there is S&D but everytime i play that it is full of morons.

I just feel that the party chat feature (though I agree it is very good to be able to chat to your friends) has divided xbox live, all the idiots that no one wants to talk to are left in game chat, while all the people that you would enjoy talking to are just voiceless because they are in party chat. It has in my opinion destroyed both the social and competative side of multiplayer gaming.

So what are your guys opinions?
fallout frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
AFreakinCabbag3

AFreakinCabbag3's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Your active over on the CS:GO forums so you should know opinions on this issue. If I'm forced into game chat such as MW2 I just mute everyone not in my party, we generally just played team tac as it allows parties and excluding 1 friend just because they don't like the game or fancy a change is kinda mean (seeing as MW2 was pretty much all I played) so if anything it took away from the experience of the game as it is just an unnecessary annoyance that limited playlist options.

World's First Team to 100% Dungeon Fighter Online
Spelling and grammar? Over-rated!
AFreakinCabbag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
StolenPaper18

StolenPaper18's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
If anything, party chat HELPED multiplayer. Now I can talk to my friends and have fun without having to listen to a bunch of kids playing music and screaming into their headsets.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
fastNcurious

As someone who plays a lot of Search, I would say that multiplayer killed party chat. Used to enjoy playing Search with friends or on my own and commentating on the game. Now I gotta sit in silence or risk hearing some immature comments...
fastNcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
MC B0B x360a

MC B0B x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 2   Word of Mouth   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Kill party chat. No. Has it had a surprising effect of multiplayer. Yes. I always bitch about not having the option in TMD for MW2 to go into party chat. I hated hearing the litte kids and having to mute everybody. However, I thought it was so boring being in a party chat with my team in mw3. I never thought I would say this, however I think forcing to be in game chat, with the option to mute was more fun for me. It always feels better when you hear 9 year olds screaming and then getting to drop a nuke on them.

MC B0B x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Yes and no. I like to talk to buddies in party chat BUT I liked hearing the cries of the many nuke boosters I busted in MW2.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
WOLFkraut

WOLFkraut's Gamercard

I don't think party chat did much at all, it's just that gaming was funner back then when less people played and teams seemed more balanced skill-wise, plus it was all a lot simpler and the gaming industry wasn't yet the total cash-grab that it is (for the most part, with exceptions) today. Also, this generation was still fresh and young then, so new things and features seemed better than they do now, I mean whatever happened to True-skill and ranked matchmaking features like that?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
StayonTarget
The Sum of All Zeroes

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
It's not like I listen to anyone not on my friend's list. Party chat just makes communication easier. Especially since you can be in one no matter what game you play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Like Barad. That damn spammer.
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
DxxxRules

DxxxRules's Gamercard
Voted yes, gets lonely... haha

Rockstar Energy x Falken Tire

DxxxRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
snipingheadshot

Send a message via AIM to snipingheadshot

Faux News 79's Gamercard

I don't think it had any effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout frank
It has in my opinion destroyed both the social and competative side of multiplayer gaming.
I can sort of see what you mean about the social part of it, but I have no idea what you mean about the competitive side of it. In my opinion, people are going to play at their best regardless of the fact that most people are in party chat. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.
You're an idiot. Your dog is black. They're going to the movies. There is my car. Their dog is gone. It had no effect on me. That didn't affect me. We left, then we went to the store. He is smarter than you. It's time to leave. That dog lost its collar. His pants are loose. He is going to lose the game. I am going to the store. He has two dogs. I want to go, too. What clothes are you going to wear? They were going to the store. Where are the dogs? If we ignore bad grammar, we condone it.

Last edited by snipingheadshot; 09-14-2012 at 02:47 PM.
snipingheadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
Frozenghost001

Frozenghost001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
i feel like its the other way around. take CS: GO for example - you cant go in party chat (or even private chat) at all and i only play it when im not in a party cause i like to talk with my friends.

and even in CoD, like others have said, when im playin Search i just mute everyone thats not in my party. they should just allow party chat in every multiplayer game - if anything it helps multiplayer not ruin it
Frozenghost001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Mandalorian831

Mandalorian831's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenPaper18 View Post
If anything, party chat HELPED multiplayer. Now I can talk to my friends and have fun without having to listen to a bunch of kids playing music and screaming into their headsets.
I agree with this. If it wasn't for the annoying little kids(and annoying people in general) then I wouldn't always be in a party chat.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
XoNiNjAlEoNoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DxxxRules View Post
Voted yes, gets lonely... haha

Just another freak, in the freak kingdom.
XoNiNjAlEoNoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #14
Spade.
A La Rev

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Jacob XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
I don't see it having any effect on multiplayer.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
SilentStrike011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenPaper18 View Post
Question answered. Anything that means I don't have to listen to kids playing Bieber and screaming crap without having to mute people constantly does nothing but improve gaming.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Majica8

Send a message via MSN to Majica8

Th3 Majica's Gamercard

No. I don't talk anyway, but I don't care either way. I've never played a game online where randoms have communicated and helped each other. The only time that happens is when I'm in a party with friends and they are talking to each other.

1000G/100%
MW2 - A's Creed - Pure - SC Conviction - CoD 4 - Lego Batman - Res Evil 5 - Trials - BFBC 2 - A's Creed 2 - Harm's Way - Crash Course - Alone in the Dark - Sniper GW - Kingdom for Keflings - World of Keflings - Deus Ex: HR - MW3 - Need for Speed: HP - Brink - Trials Evo - HAWX 2 - Mass Effect 3 - Op Flash DR - Minecraft - FEAR 3 - SSX - RSV2 - You're In The Movies - Halo Reach - Res Evil 6 - Dead Space 2 - Dead Space 3 - Dishonored - FarCry 3
Majica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #17
Meerrkat

Meerrkat's Gamercard
I remember back when you could only private chat. I used to meet alot of new people and filled up my friends list with them. Granted, there were some twats but I dont think I have added someone I have just met in a game for years now
Meerrkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
Rivercurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Rivercurse

Rivercurse's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Never noticed any difference. We used to use ventrilo to party chat in older games anyway. Can't say I ever cared for the staggering amounts of BS I've heard in lobbies from randoms over the years.

"Everything we've ever known. It's all hanging by a thread, Garrus."

Razor's EdgeDark WitnessRequiem

Rivercurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
BL0W1NG BUBBL3S

BL0W1NG BUBBL3S's Gamercard
I definitely think the introduction of party chat had a massive impact on the amount of communication players have with people they are not already friends with. Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of idiots on XBL that are happy to troll & flame but there are also a lot of cool people out there too!
BL0W1NG BUBBL3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
curtisg43228

Blovv's Gamercard
Yeah now it seems like the only people not in party chat are loud annoying kids yelling into the mic or people playing music. On COD 4 I used to play S&D all the time but after that party chat came about and it just ruined the game. You kill someone on the opposing team and they are able to give out your location, when before if you was dead you couldn't communicate with your teammates until the end of the round. It changed the gameplay I think.
curtisg43228 is offline   Reply With Quote