Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Borderlands 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
StayonTarget
Too-Rye-Ay

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Diamond   Staff Club - troy0891   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Easter Eggs and Allusions

Advanced warning!
Many contain spoilers!

While I know there is currently another thread based on easter eggs, I want to combine those and the allusions into a sort of compilation. The first Borderlands had a ton so I'm going to try to compile them. THIS IS MEANT AS A COMPILATION AS OPPOSED TO A DISCUSSION.

THIS THREAD IS NOW A JOINT EFFORT WITH ICE CAR!
It is not being abandoned but some stuff has come up. With the layout almost done, updates should come more often

Better formatting will come soon.

al·lu·sion [uh-loo-zhuhn]
noun
1.a passing or casual reference; an incidental mention of something, either directly or by implication

Easter Eggs

Minecraft Landscape + Skin
You should be able to reach this area around levels 17-20.

TMNT

You will get a quest from Tannis called Flinter Group. You have to kill mutants, and the final 4 that spawn are Mick, Ralph, Dan, and a 4th. They say things like the turtles and all have similar abilities. Then once you kill them, you can find the Easter Egg with Flinter. Which is a reference to Splinter, who is the turtles sensei.

Double Rainbow:
About: All the way. I hate memes. You'd better leave this part in the OP Target, I did this for you, you do this for me.
How: In the Highlands there is one cliff face where you will encounter a full-fledged Double Rainbow Easter Egg. Head to the Hyperion Outpost and continue until you're atop the structure. After crossing the bridge and when you get to the garage and jump down to the cliff face to your right. There should be a tent in this area.

Se7en - What's in the box?!
About: AW, WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOOOOOX?!
How: Head to the Buzzard Academy in the Dust, or the "Goose's Roost" and land on the right side. Turn around and look for some stairs going down the cliff. Take it down and enter the shack, the shack you are looking for should either have nothing in it or only a box. If the box is there, it will contain "React Gwen's Head," a reference to the movie Se7en.

Dark Souls Easter Egg:
About: Target or someone who played Dark Souls, write something for this please.
How: Another easter egg in the Caustic Caverns. Head through the area normally towards the threshers and instead of heading towards the warehouse and threshers, stop by the bus and look to your right for an island. It may be a better idea to do this on normal mode with a higher leveled character as it is difficult if not impossible to reach the island. Once you reach it, I'll leave the surprise for you.

Donkey Mong and King Mong:
About: Save the princess! Or not. I guess.
How: Go to Eridium Blight and just drive around killing Bullymongs. As far as I know his spawns are completely random but you should find him eventually. Donkey Mong will eventually appear and start throwing barrels at you. King Mong, a reference to King Kong, seems to have a set spawn point with the other bullymongs near the spawn point after you go through the gate and to your right.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!

Last edited by StayonTarget; 10-17-2012 at 11:10 PM.
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
StayonTarget
Too-Rye-Ay

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Diamond   Staff Club - troy0891   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum
Reserved for future use.

Allusions

Definitely An Italian Plumber 15
Killed Donkey Mong

This contains three references.
-One to the achievement in Borderlands 1 called "My Brother is an Italian Plumber." You had to kill an enemy by jumping on it's head.
-The "Italian Plumber" part is a reference to Mario of course.
-The achievement picture and name "Donkey Mong" are both a reference to "Donkey Kong."

*Achievement Picture Here*
What does it mean?
The achievement is a reference to this.

Dirty Harry

One of the Gunzerker's skills in the skill tree is titled "Five Shots or Six." That is a reference to the movie Dirty Harry.

Skyrim

This one is pretty obvious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzWVto7R9FA

Thre Dog - "Because one barrel ain't enough and two is too few"
A reference to Three Dog from Fallout 3.

Trespasser - "I infrequently perish."
A reference to Mordecai's death line from BL1; "I never die!" Appropriately a quest reward from Mordecai.

Face McShooty
Possible reference to the box art of the series.

"I ran for sheriff of Lynchwood once. Won 20% of the vote." -Marshall Friedman
"I am proficient in both digeridoo and Jew's Harp. -Marshall Friedman
Reference to this video.

Squall of Violence
Reference to Squall Leonhart from FF8. Challenge is to get melee kills with a weapon with a blade, Squall wields a gunblade.

Pitchfork - "Mainstream'd"
Reference to an IGN video about Borderlands seen here. Pitchfork = Randy Pitchford.

Game of Thorns
Reference to Game of Thrones.

Loggins
Reference to Danger Zone by Kelly Loggins.

"Won't get fooled again"
Reference to theme song of CSI: Miami. (quest involves investigating a murder)

"It's too dangerous to go along, jerkwad! -Crazy Earl
Reference to a line in the original Legend of Zelda, "It's too dangerous to go alone, take this."

Trap Cards
Several of Zer0's lines involve trap cards. Reference to Yu-gi-oh.

The Good, The Bad, The Mordecai
Reference to the movie: "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly"

Breaking Bald
Reference to Breaking Bad.

Bonehead 2.0
Nod to Bonehead from Borderlands 1. Drops Bone Shredder.

Son of Mothrakk
Nod to Mothrakk from Borderlands 1. Possibly drops Skullmasher, gun from Borderlands 1.

Timon and Pumbaa
Reference to Simon and Tumba from Lion King. (I'm going to feel really bad if I remembered the name wrong because this movie was my childhood.)

Dahlminator - "Dodge This."
Possible reference to this scene from the Matrix.

Miss Moxxi's Heartbreaker - "I don't want to set the world on fire...
Reference to the song "I don't want to set the world on fire" (well that was redundant)

Last edited by StayonTarget; 10-17-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
StayonTarget
Too-Rye-Ay

Quests
Laney White and the Seven Midgets:
About: What the hell are those little dudes?!
How: After you get back to Sanctuary after it's lifted into the sky, you will get a mission titled "Cold Shoulder". You will eventually encounter Laney White and 7 midget helpers who have adjectives as names.

The Good, The Bad, and the Moredecai
Obvious reference to the Clint Eastwood movie, "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly."

Challenges

-It's not easy looting green - Kermit the Frog reference
-Woah, Black Betty - Ram Jam Song
-Game of Thorns - Game of Thrones.
-...this is my gun
this is my rifle... - These are two challenges that reference Full Metal Jacket
-Not Full of Monkeys - Reference to the game "Barrel of Monkeys"

Skill Trees

Last edited by StayonTarget; 10-17-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
StayonTarget
Too-Rye-Ay

Special Thanks

HDresden

Last edited by StayonTarget; 10-17-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
HDresden

VGM 007's Gamercard
badass challenges

it's not easy looting green - ninja turtles
woah, black betty - ram jam song
game of thorns - game of thrones. I seriously hope no one missed that connection
...this is my gun
this is my rifle... - these are two challenges that reference full metal jacket
hard boiled
the killer - two (fantastic) chow yun-fat movies
not full of monkeys - reference to the game barrel of monkeys
Old 09-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Top Gun/Danger Zone reference (which made me laugh out loud):

NPC: Loggins (in the area where Ellie is)
He is dressed with clothing/face mask that is reminiscent of a fighter pilot's gear. The quest text has "DANGER ZONE." in it. And when you finish the quest, there is basically a quote from Top Gun that has been changed a little for the game. Kenny Loggins sings the song "Danger Zone" which is in the sound track for the movie Top Gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDresden View Post
badass challenges

woah, black betty - ram jam song
game of thorns - game of thrones. I seriously hope no one missed that connection
...this is my gun
this is my rifle... - these are two challenges that reference full metal jacket
hard boiled
the killer - two (fantastic) chow yun-fat movies
not full of monkeys - reference to the game barrel of monkeys
I feel like every challenge title is a reference to something...
Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
HDresden

VGM 007's Gamercard
i think the majority of them are, but many are just play on words/famous sayings.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
* Clueless *

Clueless 726's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Submit - Silver   The Helping Hand   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
@StayonTarget: your other posts with another member have been deleted.
If you happen to need them let me know and I'll undelete them for you.

Cheers!
* Clueless * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
One of the characters in The Dust is named Loggins, and he will say stuff like GOOSE!! and such and also wears a flight helmet. Reference to Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins as well as the film Top Gun with Tom Cruise.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #10
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevander View Post
One of the characters in The Dust is named Loggins, and he will say stuff like GOOSE!! and such and also wears a flight helmet. Reference to Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins as well as the film Top Gun with Tom Cruise.
Just a few posts above you, I wrote about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
Top Gun/Danger Zone reference (which made me laugh out loud):

NPC: Loggins (in the area where Ellie is)
He is dressed with clothing/face mask that is reminiscent of a fighter pilot's gear. The quest text has "DANGER ZONE." in it. And when you finish the quest, there is basically a quote from Top Gun that has been changed a little for the game. Kenny Loggins sings the song "Danger Zone" which is in the sound track for the movie Top Gun.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
deathmule
Banned User

deathmule BM's Gamercard
StayonTarget

StayonTarget if you would like to add this to your post let me know and ill delete my post
Borderlands 2 : Giant Double Rainbow What does it mean?

Borderlands 2 : Shoot This Guy in the Face (Secret) - Hangover Easter egg Achievement | Trophy Guide

This is a funny (Secret) Achievement go to Starting from Sanctuary/Sanctuary Hole enter Three Horns - divide, then go southwest to Three Horns - Valley, then go west to The Fridge, then go northwest to The Highlands - outwash, then go west to The Highlands, then go southwest to Thousand Cuts, Then go Northwest to find the mission.

he will ask you to shoot him in the face. so all you have to do is shoot him in the face LOL in the video you will see the location on the map

this seems like a hangover reference "IN THE FACE" so this maybe a Easter egg as well

Borderlands 2 TMNT Splinter Easter Egg!!!!!

Once you reach Sanctuary, talk to Dr. Tannis in the Crimson Raiders HQ to unlock the "Splinter Group" Level 14 side-quest. The description of the mission reads: "Patricia Tannis has hired you to find and kill four dangerous mutated escapees from the Wildlife Exploitation Preserve. They're hiding out in Bloodshot Stronghold, but be careful; they are well-armed, and color-coordinated." If the mission is not available, try completing some more story missions, and keep checking back after completing each one until you are given the mission. To gain access to their Sewer hideout, you must pretend to be a pizza deliveryman. Use the intercom, and the sewer grate will open. After jumping down, you will enter the Rat's Nest. Interact with the table ahead to place a pizza to attract the mutants. Once they reveal themselves, you will see their referential names: Lee, Dan, Mick, and Ralph. They are indeed color-coordinated, have shells on their backs, and use the same weapons as their corresponding turtle. Additionally, after turning the mission in, the mission debrief says "References!" This entire mission is a reference to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who are four talking turtles that starred in their own series of comics, movies, and cartoons. Each has their own ninja weapon, are color-coordinated, and named after classical Italian painters.

You can also fight an enemy named Flinter by proceeding through the Rat's Nest in Bloodshot Stronghold. Once you reach an area with multiple objects that you can interact with, you must interact with each item a certain number of times in a specific order. Turn the wheel two times, press the button on the TV three times, pull the switch on the ground three times, and then pull the lever on the wall to the right of the switch on the ground three times. After a few seconds, Flinter will appear. He will drop some rare loot once he has been defeated. Flinter is a reference to Splinter from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He was the four turtles martial arts teacher.

Borderlands 2 Secret Cave
i found a Secret Cave that lets you under the map.
glitch or Easter egg

Borderlands 2 Minecraft Easter Egg!!!!!

This borderlands 2 Easter egg it is a reference to Lord of the rings

Last edited by deathmule; 09-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.
deathmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
StayonTarget
Too-Rye-Ay

@deathmule

Thanks for those posts! I'll take a look at the videos and throw your name in the special thanks area. And don't bother deleting your post. It's no problem

Last edited by StayonTarget; 09-21-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
A mission with the sheriff right after Sanctuary is in the sky.
It's a mission called won't get fooled again and it's an obvious reference to CSI:MIAMI

KFZ Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
Ice Car

Send a message via Skype™ to Ice Car

Ice Car's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
A couple.

One of Crazy Earl's lines when you talk to him at the Black Market is "It's too dangerous to go alone!" Reference to a line in the original Legend of Zelda; "It's too dangerous to go alone, take this!"

On the Assassinate the Assassins, I believe the last Assassin you kill (name forgotten) drops a gun called "Thre Dog". Possible allusion/reference to Three Dog, a character from Fallout 3.

Several of Zer0's lines involve the use of "trap card" and the "activation" of it. Obvious reference to Yu-Gi-Oh.

Legendary Gun titled Pitchfork with the red text; "Mainstream'd". Clear reference to this video, "pitchfork" being an allusion to Randy Pitchford.

Ice Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
alanp9

alanp9's Gamercard
Bandits will sometimes say "Never should have come here!" which is exactly what the bandits in Skyrim constantly say.
alanp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Ice Car

Ice Car's Gamercard

Reference to the theme for BL1, Ain't No Rest for the Wicked.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Annihil88torr

Annihil88tor's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1

instagram: andrewcool8
Annihil88torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
Megadumbss

ElectabuzzGo's Gamercard
Oh yah. Minecraft in borderlands. Im going to have to find that.
Megadumbss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
The Carrot Cake Kid

The quest that has Mordecai employing you to find secret treasure is a reference to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Carson refers to Bill Carson from the movie and I just saw they buried it in a grave, same as the movie. Haven't finished the mission yet but I recall it being buried in a grave marked Unknown next to Arch Stanton. Curious to see how this plays out.

And if you've never seen the movie you're missing out. Absolute classic.
The Carrot Cake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
sullen

Just Neurotic's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDresden View Post
That is actually a reference to the song "Bein' Green" which was originally sung by Frank Sinatra. Later it was covered by Kermit the Frog. The songs most famous line is "It's not easy being green". I don't believe it has anything to do with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
sullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
mightysleigher

Mightysleigher's Gamercard
More Skyrim & Being Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanp9 View Post
Bandits will sometimes say "Never should have come here!" which is exactly what the bandits in Skyrim constantly say.
I've come across a Sanctuary Citizen in Moxxxi's Bar that says "I used to be a Vault Hunter, til I took a bullet to the knee."

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayonTarget View Post
Challenges

-It's not easy looting green - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Reference(?)
Pretty sure that's a reference to Kermit the Frog - "It Ain't Easy Being Green."
mightysleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
Ice Car

Ice Car's Gamercard

The Red Text on Moxxi's Good Touch and Moxxi's Bad Touch are the two parts of one quote by Mae West; "When I'm good, I'm very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better."

I actually didn't know this off-hand, I googled it because the red text sounded like a quote, and it was.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
E vee dub

Send a message via AIM to E vee dub

E vee dub's Gamercard
Loggins... side quest.

I love that the game makers put this in the game.

The volleyball scene in "Top Gun" is for certain "men" (or for the ladies).
Being an avid volleyball player, those guys were awful at technique.
Plus, the shirts being off was overkill. But I get the point.

I was happy to kill the 3 shirtless pilots w/ sunglasses on once I burned their volleyball net.

Very funny though. These references are fun.

NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY
RALEIGH, N.C.
"CLASS OF 2005"
"THE WOLFPACK"

Last edited by E vee dub; 09-21-2012 at 06:09 PM.
E vee dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by E vee dub View Post
I love that the game makers put this in the game.

The volleyball scene in "Top Gun" is completely homosexual (or for the ladies).
Being an avid volleyball player, those guys were awful at technique in playing volleyball.
Plus, the shirts being off was overkill. But I get the point.

I was happy to kill the 3 shirtless pilots w/ sunglasses on once I burned their volleyball net.

Very funny though. I love all the references in Borderlands 2.
I believe the term you were looking for is homoerotic, not homosexual.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
StayonTarget
Too-Rye-Ay

When you first meet Roland, he starts saying "He used to be a vault hunter like you, then..." and I can't remember how that line is finished. It's pretty early on in the game. Skyrim reference?

I'll be adding all that is added when I get home in the afternoon.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #27
azGRIMES

azGRIMES's Gamercard
I used to be a Vault Hunter like you, then I took a bullet in the knee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzWVto7R9FA

Last edited by azGRIMES; 09-21-2012 at 02:12 PM.
azGRIMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
ExDeath928

ExDeath928's Gamercard
In the Wildlife Exploitation Reserve, there's a pair of creatures named Pimon and Tumbaa. A play on the names of The Lion King characters Timon and Pumbaa.

Also, there's a quest in The Freezer in which you fight a Snow White-type character and her seven midgets.

Loving the references so far, especially the Ninja Turtle and Top Gun ones.
ExDeath928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
scheezy

ScHeEzY's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Car View Post
A couple.

Legendary Gun titled Pitchfork with the red text; "Mainstream'd". Clear reference to this video, "pitchfork" being an allusion to Randy Pitchford.

Borderlands is for Real Gamers (IGN Originals) - YouTube
i actually think the "pitchfork" and "mainstream'd" reference may be an allusion to the pitchfork review blog which is considered very indie or "hipster". or, it could be both.
scheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
mbailey320

Send a message via AIM to mbailey320

mikeprocurator's Gamercard
Best Easter Egg Ever?

A bandit late in the story said "I'm the one who knocks" in reference to Breaking Bad.

Someone in sanctuary also said "Winter is coming"- Game of Thrones
mbailey320 is offline   Reply With Quote