Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dark Souls
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
XperimntNterror

XperimntNterror's Gamercard
Dark Souls: The New Castlevania

So the more time I spend playing this, the more I feel like I'm playing a totally new, awesome-as-hell, Castlevania re-invention.

Just about everything in this game reminds me of Castlevania: The locations, the enemies, the lore (to a certain degree). The only thing it doesn't have are the horror movie archetypes for bosses and the, fantastically composed, soundtrack.

What does everyone else think? Does this game remind you of any other games from the past (aside from the obvious Demon's Souls)?

Personally, I think Konami should've licensed the re-imagining of Castlevania to these guys. I think they would've been a perfect fit and really would've rejuvenated the series more so than what Mercury Steam did.

Thanks to V1ZIONZxBLOOD for the really cool sig!
XperimntNterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Mr Fiddler

Mr Fiddler's Gamercard
I think a Castlevania licence would be a waste. From Software has already proven that they can create their own original games that are just as enthralling as anything Konami has done with Castlevania (particularly the 3d ones).

I haven't played Demon's Souls but the closest comparison I could think of when playing this was actually something like ocarina of time albeit a much darker more mature game with a more varied and open approach to the way you can play.
Mr Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Terransheep

Terransheep's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperimntNterror View Post
So the more time I spend playing this, the more I feel like I'm playing a totally new, awesome-as-hell, Castlevania re-invention.

Just about everything in this game reminds me of Castlevania: The locations, the enemies, the lore (to a certain degree). The only thing it doesn't have are the horror movie archetypes for bosses and the, fantastically composed, soundtrack.

What does everyone else think? Does this game remind you of any other games from the past (aside from the obvious Demon's Souls)?

Personally, I think Konami should've licensed the re-imagining of Castlevania to these guys. I think they would've been a perfect fit and really would've rejuvenated the series more so than what Mercury Steam did.
when i first played dark souls i have this feeling too, but just a better experience because I was viewing bloodsteins and laughing at how ppl died, then I soon joined them as well... but not cliff fall deaths.

Terransheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
sleepymexican45

sleepymexican45's Gamercard
Metroid Prime. Especially with the world layout, respawning enemy sections, backtracking, secret areas, bonfire style save points etc...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Dervius

Dervius's Gamercard
I disagree, Dark Souls has a fantastic soundtrack all of it's own as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperimntNterror View Post
The only thing it doesn't have are the horror movie archetypes for bosses and the, fantastically composed, soundtrack.
I don't know what soundtrack you're listening to but I got the download for the soundtrack with the Collector's Edition and think it's one of the best soundtracks for a game I've ever heard. It's fantastic. Honestly I think it's better than the score for alot of fantasy movies. It's a bummer they didn't make it available for people outside of the Collector's Edition.

Favorite track off the top of my head:

Last edited by WalterWhite; 01-28-2013 at 08:11 PM.
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Dog Face

In Marshall's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
I don't know what soundtrack you're listening to but I got the download for the soundtrack with the Collector's Edition and think it's one of the best soundtracks for a game I've ever heard. It's fantastic. Honestly I think it's better than the score for alot of fantasy movies. It's a bummer they didn't make it available for people outside of the Collector's Edition.

Favorite track off the top of my head:

Dark Souls OST - Dark Sun Gwyndolin - YouTube
Ash Lakes music is great too.

Dog Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
sleepymexican45

sleepymexican45's Gamercard
does anyone else get a shiver down their spine when they here the resident evil save room music on the game menu
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
SuNuS

SuNuS's Gamercard
For the longest time I could almost hear the music that you get upon entering any zone.....every time I entered any room in my house. If only I could get 'Living Room' or 'Bathroom' text to pop up in my real life! Someone needs to chronicle their day on YouTube in that manner.

Sig by Gackt
SuNuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
ghostx30

ghost X30's Gamercard
And let us not forget:

I could pretty much listen to this on an endless loop. Ironically, I listen to the soundtrack more out of game then while playing. Usually I have Dream Theater or Opeth ripping while in game. But yeah, amazing soundtrack. I love farming twinkling titanite in Ash Lake simply because I can listen to that music all day long. I think we own different soundtracks.
ghostx30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Haha, let's get the whole soundtrack up on here.