Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Post Golden Key Infinite Loot Glitch

THIS GLITCH HAS BEEN PATCH AND NO LONGER WORKS

Since this is an achievement site, I will share how we opened the golden key loot chest over and over again with just 1 key (we found this out by mistake).

One person needs to have at least one gold key for this to work.

Make sure the host is the one going through the travel menu
and scrolling.

1. The host goes over to the travel machine and opens it - now scroll up and down over different locations.
  2. The person with the key opens the chest (while the other person is still scrolling over locations in the travel menu), and takes the items from the chest and closes it. Open the chest again and it should work now.
  3. The person in the travel menu can now exit the travel menu.
  4. The person who opened the chest with the key can keep opening the chest infinite times now.
  5. Everyone can take items from the chest (be aware that the items will be the rank of the person who opened the chest, so you may want to have someone open it at a higher level).

The chest may stay open randomly (we don't know why), but this is fixed by a simple exit and save. However, when returning back into the game, you will need to repeat the process.

We tried this on two occasions, a few days apart and it worked. Please let me know if it also works for anyone else.

I posted this simply to share with others who are desperate to open that chest.

We did not try this local with two controllers.

Edit 09/25/12:
It worked again, no problems. This time there were only two of us.

I was the host with no keys, my buddy had 1 key.

I went into the travel menu and scrolled. While I did this, my buddy opened the chest and closed it. He then opened it again (while I still scrolled). I then proceeded to exit the travel menu.

Infinite loot for the rest of the night without the chest staying open.

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

Last edited by Tyger7; 01-19-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Joker0fLife

Location: Inside of a location's local locality of localness locationally located locally

Joker0fLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Much easier than the other methods, haven't tried it yet, but I will when I get to end game. Honestly, this chest was a bad idea on Gearbox's part. They should have known that people were going to exploit this in someway or another.

Also, prepare for the butthurt comments by people who can't comprehend another person's definition of enjoyment. In 3...
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker0fLife View Post
Much easier than the other methods, haven't tried it yet, but I will when I get to end game. Honestly, this chest was a bad idea on Gearbox's part. They should have known that people were going to exploit this in someway or another.

Also, prepare for the butthurt comments by people who can't comprehend another person's definition of enjoyment. In 3...

Agreed. While I prefer to play the game the way it was intended to be played, I just thought this was too important not to share with people who are desperate to get into that chest. Also, no one is forcing anyone to do this.

We tried this on two different occasions with different coop partners, and it worked. Please let me know if it worked for you as well.

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

Old 09-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Joker0fLife

Location: Inside of a location's local locality of localness locationally located locally

Joker0fLife's Gamercard

Will do. Also, just to clarify, when you say someone has to be scrolling up and down in the menu, do you mean it HAS to be constant scrolling, or can you just sit idle until they're done?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Quote:
Will do. Also, just to clarify, when you say someone has to be scrolling up and down in the menu, do you mean it HAS to be constant scrolling, or can you just sit idle until they're done?
Only during the initial chest opening. You may not even need to scroll up and down, but we just duplicated how we accidently opened the chest.

I was in the travel menu scrolling up and down looking at locations - my buddy went over to the loot chest to see what he would get. After he took his items from the chest, I left the menu and he noticed the chest kept opening over and over again for him, even though he had no more keys.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
FamiliarGorrilla

FamiliarGorilla's Gamercard
this doesnt work on local with two controllers. shall try it later on xbox live
Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
ZZak

Send a message via Skype™ to ZZak

Am I Zak's Gamercard
Can anyone confirm that this works?

EDIT: Just tested it and it didn't work...

Last edited by ZZak; 09-25-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZak View Post
Can anyone confirm that this works?

EDIT: Just tested it and it didn't work...

Did you test this with other coop players? We will test this again tonight.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
ZZak

Am I Zak's Gamercard
I only have one co op friend... He doesn't have a golden key so I don't know if that counts
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZak View Post
I only have one co op friend... He doesn't have a golden key so I don't know if that counts
We all had golden keys I believe, and we did it with at least 3 players.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
FamiliarGorrilla

could you post when you have tested this again?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
x_mania

XmaniaX's Gamercard
I can confirm that this method works!

Just did this i a game of a friend. He was lvl 28 and i a lvl 35. Since he had multiple keys and i only 1, i tried the method out. As states by OP, he got in the fast travel station scrolling the places. I opened the chest, got the loot and he jumped out of the fast travel.

I then could open it endlessly. Had multiple friends join the game, grab the loot. After about an hour the chest got stuck. We then left it.....

Thanx for the tip SIMPLYMIDGET!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Joker0fLife

Joker0fLife's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaicoWin View Post
This method sucks, and you may lose your Golden Keys trying to replicate the glitch. Here is an actual foolproof method for those who like cheating: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/63878...nds-2/64143222
If his way actually works and is confirmed by more people, I'd say it would be better than that method you linked by a mile.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
FamiliarGorrilla

Quote:
If his way actually works and is confirmed by more people, I'd say it would be better than that method you linked by a mile.
yup ill second that
Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Never Final

Never Final's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Staff Club - Never Final   Over Achiever - Silver   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Anyone want to try this with me? Im level 26 right now and have 2 keys.

Need help with an online achievement? If I got the game Ill help. Just PM me.
COMPLETED: 108 - RETAIL: 62 - ARCADE: 21 - WP7: 15 - W8: 8 - OTHER: 2
Last Completed: Fighting Vipers(XBLA)
Old 09-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
gealt

gealt's Gamercard
Quote:
This method is "easier" but the other one (the link/usb profile method) can be done solo.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Lothra

Lothra's Gamercard
Ill probably give this a shot when im level 50, no point in opening the chest infinitely at such a low level since the guns you get will just be obsolete once you level up a few times more.

Plus ill wait until Gearbox decide what they will be doing to fix this, as they have stated that abusers on the golden key/chest glitch could be punished in some way.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Gageamatron

gageamatron's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothra View Post
Ill probably give this a shot when im level 50, no point in opening the chest infinitely at such a low level since the guns you get will just be obsolete once you level up a few times more.

Plus ill wait until Gearbox decide what they will be doing to fix this, as they have stated that abusers on the golden key/chest glitch could be punished in some way.
I opened the chest twice at 50 and I got pretty crappy stuff. It's only good for right when you hit 50 because you are guaranteed to find better stuff elsewhere.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

We only lost one key due to the chest being stuck. All other attempts had no problems.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
Blarghinator

Budda Kupp's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold
um,me and my friends have had this glitch happen twice, and we did none of this... we all stood around the chest and opened it and it kept opening. It didnt work for one person however but the other two it did. I believe people are saying its the shift keys that do it, your premier code keys will not glitch like this.

Entered Alabama's Top Ten On June 26, 2012
Passed Number 9 on July 1, 2012
Passed Number 8 on July 13, 2012
Passed Number 7 on August 8, 2012
Passed Number 6 on September 29, 2012
You're next DefEdge
Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
ZZak

Am I Zak's Gamercard
Tried it twice. Still hasn't worked. Invite me into a game and prove it... AmIZak
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarghinator View Post
um,me and my friends have had this glitch happen twice, and we did none of this... we all stood around the chest and opened it and it kept opening. It didnt work for one person however but the other two it did. I believe people are saying its the shift keys that do it, your premier code keys will not glitch like this.
Wasn't aware of any of this. We figured we would just duplicate what we did last in the game for it to work, hasn't failed us yet.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #23
ChromiumDragon

ChromiumDragon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothra View Post

Why the hell would Gearbox punish people for cheating at a single player/co-op game? It's not like there's TDM to take overpowered weapons into or anything....

That said....anyone wanna give this a go? First come, first served. Level 25 or above only. I'm level 23. I've got a golden key. I lose nothing if it doesn't work, since I can just go back to abusing the USB version of the glitch anyway. Would prefer someone who's at least level 25 or so so I can use silver accounts to stockpile weapons for later.

Send a PM on XBL. First come, first served.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #24
DarkCrown

DarkCrown JGT's Gamercard

But if you already have open the chest (and keep doing it) but it froze , you say to exit and return , but since you used your key , you can't do the glitch anymore? or the chest will be glitch to always open forever?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #25
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCrown View Post
But if you already have open the chest (and keep doing it) but it froze , you say to exit and return , but since you used your key , you can't do the glitch anymore? or the chest will be glitch to always open forever?

No, once you leave and return, the chest is back to normal. But yes, you will have to use another key. That is why it is best done with 4 people with keys just in case this happens. Each time we would sit there and open the chest non stop between 40 mins to almost 3 hours of messing around with it. You can get so much loot.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #26
tugboatman

D3L1V3R4NC3's Gamercard
works a treat!! we wasted 1 key at first but got it right the 2nd time

Trials Evolution
Bronze : 79
Silver : 79
Gold : 79
Platinum : 78

SEND A MESSAGE WITH FRIEND REQUESTS OR THEY WILL BE IGNORED!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #27
Cheftastytreats

ChefTastyTreats's Gamercard
If anybody wants to try this message me. Level 38

Also TC who was the host? The menu scrolling or the chest opener?

Last edited by Cheftastytreats; 09-25-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #28
SimonJK

NeoVampyre's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaicoWin View Post
This method sucks, and you may lose your Golden Keys trying to replicate the glitch. Here is an actual foolproof method for those who like cheating: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/63878...nds-2/64143222
Thank gawd, I'm gonna have to try this method. I don't do mulitplayer and used co-op to farm/ dupe in Borderlands 1 a hell of a lot but only found out too late that the keys weren't tryed to a memory stick save file and lost keys to 1 character on my main gametag and them on my sub tag ( I have 1 gold and 3 silver).

I know it's a noob question from a veteran Borderlands1 player, but how do the keys work? is it 1 key (2 for shift account makers) per gametag or 1 per character, cause i made a new character on a sub tag but he got no key even though I played him though to claptrap's little house.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #29
Cheftastytreats

ChefTastyTreats's Gamercard
It works just a few suggestions!

Make sure everyone you want to exploit with is in the game before you start. Players joining after the initial opening won't be able to open the chest.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #30
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftastytreats View Post
It works just a few suggestions!

Make sure everyone you want to exploit with is in the game before you start. Players joining after the initial opening won't be able to open the chest.

Yes I was the Host and in the travel menu, good looking out.

Although we had people join after who still could receive items.

Closed Thread