Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Official Golden Key Thread/FAQ

Golden Keys. Please keep it all here.

Not aware of any codes that are active right now. Sorry.

Thanks Rajeanero for the awesome work.

Last edited by Wildmn34; 10-16-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Wildmn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Hey guys, just going to put this quick little FAQ up in regards to all things Golden Key related for Borderlands 2. If you have a question that’s not on this little list and you think it should be throw me a PM and I’ll try to add it.

So, let’s jump right in!

What are these Golden Keys I keep hearing about?
Golden Keys are a special key that unlocks a chest in the town of Sanctuary. The chest can be found in the same room as the Fast Travel station. The only way to open the chest is by having a key.

What’s inside the chest?

Like any other chest in Borderlands it’s completely random. It can be anything from shields, class mods, to any type of weapon.

Can I get Legendary weapons from the chest?

Unfortunately, no. Pretty much any color buy orange. Some people have reported pulling an orange from the chest, but I haven’t seen 100% confirmation on that. I personally have seen greens, blues, purples, and pinks.

What level of gear is in the chest?

That depends on the level of the person who opens it. If you are a level 5 Assassin, then the gear will be level 5. If you are a level 50 Gunzerker the gear will be level 50.

You keep talking about Golden Keys, how do I get one?

Well, there are a couple ways to get them. If you preordered the game you got the Premiere Club which game with several weapons and 1 Golden Key. You can also get an additional key for singing up to Gearbox’s new site called Shift. You can sign up right from the main menu of the game under the “Extras” tab.

Once you register it may take between 24-48 hours for your account to be activated. You will be notified the next time you load up your character if you have acquired any new keys.

Ok, so I accidentally used my Golden Key(s) too early. How do I get more?

Currently you can get additional Golden Key codes by watching Randy Pitchford and Gearbox’s twitter accounts (@DuvalMagic and @GearboxSoftware). They have also said codes may be dropped on Facebook as well. Link

Also, the post right above this one I will always try to have the most recent codes posted until they have expired. Some codes will only be available to be redeemed during a specific time frame. I will have that time frame posted, most likely with Central Time. I suck at math, but this site can help you figure out what time it is for you. Every Time Zone

I got a code and Xbox isn’t letting me redeem it. I know I’m typing it in right, what’s wrong?

Ah, you’re not doing anything wrong. You’re just redeeming the code in the wrong place. Currently Golden Key codes can only be redeemed via the main menu Shift area. To get there go to the main menu, scroll down to Extras. It will say “Welcome back to Shift” at the bottom of the screen you will see and option to hit for Shift code. Go ahead and hit and enter the code.

Once you redeem the code go ahead and go back to the main menu and load up your character. You should receive a message saying you have a new Golden Key and how many keys you have.

So, I redeemed a code but I’m only level 8 can I wait to use it or do I have to redeem it right away?

There is no expiration date for the keys once you redeem it. Feel free to sit on it until you want to use it. There’s no hurry to use them, so don’t worry.

How many times can I redeem a code?

All codes I have seen so far have been one time use codes per account.

I have 4 keys. Does that mean I have 4 keys for every character?

Nope. You have 4 keys for your profile. Meaning if you use a Golden Key with your Soldier and go to play with your Assassin you will only have 3 keys left. So, don’t waste them.

If you have any other questions not covered above let me know.

Thanks Rajeanero for the awesome work.

Last edited by Wildmn34; 10-27-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Wildmn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
* Clueless *

Clueless 726's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Submit - Silver   The Helping Hand   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Golden Keys Thread

Golden Keys. Please keep it all here.

Cheers!
* Clueless * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
watts320

Send a message via MSN to watts320 Send a message via Skype™ to watts320

xallrightythenx's Gamercard
Golden Key??

How do I get a Golden Key? I have been and signed up the Shift, I think it was called... Says I have got a key, but where do I use it? Ive found a chest that has a skeleton on it and a golden key icon, but it says I dont have a key to open the chest.
watts320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Annihil88torr

Annihil88tor's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I love helping people out on these forums and on xbox live, as an XBOX Ambassador. You get the Golden key by entering your code you have on your Gamestop, or I assume Best Buy receipt. You'll end up downloading the Premier Club, which contains a few items as well as the Golden Key. Hope this helps

instagram: andrewcool8
Annihil88torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
^^ You are supposed to get another by signing up to Shift. The Premiere Club is an entirely different thing.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Annihil88torr

Annihil88tor's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevander View Post
^^ You are supposed to get another by signing up to Shift. The Premiere Club is an entirely different thing.
That's true because now I have two Golden Keys.

instagram: andrewcool8
Annihil88torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
The Lovat Scout

Send a message via AIM to The Lovat Scout Send a message via MSN to The Lovat Scout

The Lovat Scout's Gamercard

Question I have 4 golden keys.....how?

I'm most others may have four or even more. I was just curious how maybe some of you others got them, since I don't know.

I know I got one from Premiere Club, and another one from signing up for "Shift."

But what about the other two? Did I get one for completing the last game?

And isn't there only one chest? so I can only use them once in each separate game, or does the chest just close again?
POLLIVER
RAFF THE SWEETLING
THE TICKLER
THE HOUND
SER GREGOR
SER AMORY
SER ILYN
SER MERYN
KING JOFFERY
QUEEN CERSEI
- VALAR MORGHULIS -
The Lovat Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Kizawa6

Kizawa6's Gamercard
I somehow have 3 keys. I seriously don't know where the 3rd one came from. Well the was the Premier one, and the Shift one. Not sure if my playing with a buddy from the start on the same console did it.
Kizawa6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
LordDVS

Bac0n Gamer's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lovat Scout View Post
I'm most others may have four or even more. I was just curious how maybe some of you others got them, since I don't know.

I know I got one from Premiere Club, and another one from signing up for "Shift."

But what about the other two? Did I get one for completing the last game?

And isn't there only one chest? so I can only use them once in each separate game, or does the chest just close again?
I didn't notice the Key in my inventory, although I was focused on shooting too much to browse thoroughly. I will be sad if you did get one for beating the previous game, I lost access to my account that has BL1 100%'d, and only just fired up the game on my current account to earn a save, so I'd unlock the extra skins in BL2.

After watching my roomy have a meltdown for accidentally popping the chest at lvl9 last night, it's good to know if there will be more keys to be had right away.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
abstract1620

harry coinshlot's Gamercard
wtf, I signed up for shift and I didn't get a second key! Did you get a shift code? I also completed BL1 short of moxxi, it was so poorly reviewed I never bought it. Someone please clarify this, I accidentally blew my first key and I would love to know how this guy ends up with 4.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
alanp9

alanp9's Gamercard
I completed the first game 100% and didn't get a key for it, so that must not be where yours came from.
alanp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
abstract1620

harry coinshlot's Gamercard
ok, you do get one for shift, it notified me when I logged back in that I have another key. Now if you can figure out where I can get keys 3 and 4 that would be great
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I have 3 golden keys right now. 1 from the Premiere Club, 1 from the Shift site signup, and I have no clue where the 3rd one came from. I'm assuming it's from completing the first game. I have every achievement in Borderlands 1. That's unconfirmed if that's what unlocks it or not. I'd love to know where the 4th one comes from. Since I don't have 4. And I even bought the Ultimate Loot Chest Edition. So you'd think I'd have the most possible right now.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
upindat

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I got my ultimate loot edition sitting at the house. i pre ordered at gamestop to get the dome and to have an extra copy for my son. if i enter both premiere codes will i get two keys?? confused . any help would be great.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
alanp9

alanp9's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodGodAlucard View Post
I have 3 golden keys right now. 1 from the Premiere Club, 1 from the Shift site signup, and I have no clue where the 3rd one came from. I'm assuming it's from completing the first game. I have every achievement in Borderlands 1. That's unconfirmed if that's what unlocks it or not. I'd love to know where the 4th one comes from. Since I don't have 4. And I even bought the Ultimate Loot Chest Edition. So you'd think I'd have the most possible right now.
I also have every achievement in Borderlands 1 and I got the character skin bonuses, but I did not get an extra key. So that's not where your 3rd one came from.
alanp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
BBowles

BBowles's Gamercard
I pre-orderd from Gamestop, bought the Ultimate Loot Edition, and have a save file from Borderlands with 100% completion.

And I only have (well, HAD) 1 key. So for those of you who had more, the above reasons are not why. Didn't realize that chest was going to eat my 1 and only key >_< Hopefully I can grab more later.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Ultimate Battler - Completed 2/9/11
BBowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #18
ReverendSID

ReverendSID's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDVS View Post
I didn't notice the Key in my inventory, although I was focused on shooting too much to browse thoroughly.
The keys are displayed on the lower left of the screen on the challenge/baddass rank page.

And I've only got the 1 from the premier club. 100% BL1 cheevoes and no second key as others have said.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #19
TRAGICTRIXIE
Banned User

TRAGICTYPHON's Gamercard
I have infinite Golden Keys

So i started the game from the very beginning and when me and my friend got to the sactuary city i kept using the gold key to open the chest and i could open it an infinite amount of times even though the game said i had zero keys. I have max money now from selling everything i got and i equipped the best i got so far.
Wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Also my friend was the host, not me
TRAGICTRIXIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
oooo yeah

oooo yeah's Gamercard
Splitscreen?
oooo yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #21
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
If you're in your first playthrough the sellback prices on weapons is between like $1 - $200 at that point in the game. The game hasn't been out long enough to sell back enough fifty to a couple hundred dollar items to max your bankroll.

Last edited by WalterWhite; 09-19-2012 at 01:05 AM.
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #22
NiGhTmArEsTeVe

NiGhTmArEsTeVe's Gamercard
If you played the slots in moxxi's place in Sanctuary, you can win them there
NiGhTmArEsTeVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #23
TRAGICTRIXIE
Banned User

TRAGICTYPHON's Gamercard
not splitscreen over xbox live. And around the time i was level 10 so the weapons were selling anywhere from 200 to 500 a piece and so were the shields and mods. I got lots of money but had to make a million trips back and forth, the weapons/mods/shields were always purple so that might be why they gave me a lot of money for selling them
TRAGICTRIXIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #24
Optimus Grizley

Optimus Grizley's Gamercard
Dont use gold key untill ready

Like title says. I accidentally opened it not paying attention to the chest. I realized it was that when there were only 2 pearlescent pistols inside. So I quit to dashboard and re loaded only to be pissed. It still uses the key and takes whatever it gave you if you quit to dash. Anyone know if that key is a one time use or can it be used once per play thru or once per character?
Optimus Grizley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #25
Saracin

Send a message via AIM to Saracin Send a message via MSN to Saracin Send a message via Yahoo to Saracin

saracin's Gamercard
Think its one per character, also you can get more since when I started my first character I was told I had 2, then when I made a second later it said 3. I know you can get 1 from signing up at the Gearbox Shift site and then linking your accounts.

Saracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #26
Xavier0080

Xavier0080's Gamercard
Yeah, they should have made a message about the chest, and a message "Are you sure you want to use a golden key?" Wasted mine, thanks Gearbox!
Xavier0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #27
Report Fast

Report Fast's Gamercard
Multiple golden keys.

I have 4 golden keys, anyone else have moe than one? Not sure how I got the 3 extra

Retail 100% (47)
Arcade 100% (19)
67% Completion Ratio

as of 1/22/2013
Report Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #28
pravado

I read in game at some point that you shouldn't open the chest until later on to get the best reward. So they do warn you.
pravado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #29
LordDVS

Bac0n Gamer's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Grizley View Post
I realized it was that when there were only 2 pearlescent pistols inside.
You got 2 Pearlescent? You meant, Purple, as in the-only-color-you-get, right?
Just clearing that up, since we only have 5 colors at this time.

OT: I laughed at my friend for popping his chest early last night. Guess who's the douche that cried out in anger as his was opened at level 12?

>This Guy<
Old 09-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #30
juniorvarsity33

juniorvarsity33's Gamercard
I got one from Premium pass (preorder), a 2nd when I signed up for Shift in-game, a 3rd when I started my second character (coincidentally at same time I linked to my Borderlamds 1 data - but at this point not sure what actually caused it)...
juniorvarsity33 is offline   Reply With Quote