iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Demo Available Now + Discussion Thread

Download - here

Size - 1.57GB

Description

Quote:
Where cars belong! Celebrate speed, music, and style at the Horizon Festival. From the makers of the highest-rated racing franchise of this generation, Forza Horizon combines legendary Forza authenticity with the freedom of the open road.
Hoping what I played over the weekend is different to what is on the demo.

Edit.
First race and I love it! Doesn't play as serious as FM3/FM4 and for me personally, this is a huge bonus. While I do enjoy racing games, I like to have fun and not have it be taken seriously.

Last edited by iBuzz7S; 10-09-2012 at 03:03 PM.
iBuzz7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
DjBatfink

dj batfink's Gamercard
Been playing it a while now, and it seems not that bad. Ok it's different from FM4, feels abit like Test Drive & Need For Speed, but done Forza style.
I'm not 100% sure if the car's handling is the same as FM4, as it's harder to tell, being that you now race on open road's.
The one thing that was unsure about, being that it's made with another delevoper is that, it was going to play like NFS (rubber banding) which i hate, and i'm pretty sure it's not got that....
So far looks good and a nice change.....
DjBatfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Daytripper

Daytripper80's Gamercard
Loved it, will buy
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Knaapster

knaapster's Gamercard
i love it, can't wait till the game comes out
Knaapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Hurricane Of 87

Hurricane Of 87's Gamercard
Definitely brought me back on board after the tedium of F4. The default assistance (if any) being less heavy handed was a plus.

The plane race was a nice novelty and the music wasn't nearly as bad or dubstep heavy as I thought it was going to be, from the 10 or tracks they had on here. Personal favourite road was the dirt track just east of the speed camera. It's also where I turned off the green line and started enjoying the game a lot more.

The difficulty curve wasn't too bad. Came 1st twice on Racona Rush on Normal and then came 2nd on Hard. As long as I saw a multiplier on my screen I assumed I was doing a good job!
Hurricane Of 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
IEvil IMonkey

IEvil IMonkey's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I loved the demo and now the release date can't come soon enough
Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
j9292

Mr Chang 3000's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBatfink View Post
I'm not 100% sure if the car's handling is the same as FM4, as it's harder to tell, being that you now race on open road's.
I feel that is not the same even though they said it would be. I guess it would make the game 10 times harder if it were.

But all and all i think i'm going to upgrade my preorder and get the limited edition. seems promising enough. the only thing that would kill it for me is if the online isn't completely free roam(like the whole map at a time not just certain part at a time) with friends. or that its super glitchy like TDU2
EDIT: also if the car customizing isn't very good i think that would be a let down.

Last edited by j9292; 10-09-2012 at 04:46 PM.
j9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
JeanRob

Ghost JeanRob's Gamercard
And here I come to be the first one to say I don't like it!
What a surprise some will say

It is as I feared a bastardized version of Forza 4.
Not arcade enough to be batshit fun, not simulation enough to be challenging.
The worst thing for me is that they want me to drive properly but I have no feeling at all even with all assists off and the difficulty on maximum. I just don't feel the car connected to the road, and I think the problem resides in the fact that the tires have no feedback. The lack of vibration in the controller when they spin is completely wrong for my playstyle. If I can't feel when the car starts to slide I will go nowhere.

Aside from that, it's not a bad game, but it's everything I didn't want Forza to become...
I'll stick to the main franchise, and that is if they don't screw it up.

I have reasons to fear that because they have steadily "casualized" the game and made very questionable choices regarding monetization of the game.
They push tokens even farther this time (you can catch a glimpse of it during a loading time) by offering you to buy score multipliers for the solo. WHAT THE HELL?!

I was willing to give it a shot, but I don't see myself buying it before they release an ultimate edition with all the DLC at a decent price.

I can play hard simulations or stupidly arcadey games, but a weird hybrid like this one is beyond my current will to play.

Last edited by JeanRob; 10-09-2012 at 04:59 PM.
JeanRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
j9292

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanRob View Post

The worst thing for me is that they want me to drive properly but I have no feeling at all even with all assists off and the difficulty on maximum. I just don't feel the car connected to the road, and I think the problem resides in the fact that the tires have no feedback. The lack of vibration in the controller when they spin is completely wrong for my playstyle. If I can't feel when the car starts to slide I will go nowhere.

Aside from that, it's not a bad game, but it's everything I didn't want Forza to become...
I'll stick to the main franchise, and that is if they don't screw it up.

I have reasons to fear that because they have steadily "casualized" the game and made very questionable choices regarding monetization of the game.
They push tokens even farther this time (you can catch a glimpse of it during a loading time) by offering you to buy score multipliers for the solo. WHAT THE HELL?!

I was willing to give it a shot, but I don't see myself buying it before they release an ultimate edition with all the DLC at a decent price.

I can play hard simulations or stupidly arcadey games, but a weird hybrid like this one is beyond my current will to play.
You made some good points. But i feel like it is a nice mixture. Also I see people talking about the vibration and what not. Which is funny because i've played with vibration off for years now and it feels weird to even have it on in the first place. i guess i never thought that would be something people would fault a game for it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Maka

Send a message via MSN to Maka

Maka91's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Emerald   GRID 2 Award   Submit - Platinum   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Micro Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Silver   x360a Book Club   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Here is some gamplay of the demo along with some of my thoughts:

Last edited by Maka; 10-09-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
JeanRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by j9292 View Post
You made some good points.
ALWAYS!

Quote:
But i feel like it is a nice mixture.
Well, you're right. It just a matter of semantics. You like it, I don't

Quote:
Also I see people talking about the vibration and what not. Which is funny because i've played with vibration off for years now and it feels weird to even have it on in the first place.
Maybe it's because I'm so used to it and can't understand how people do without it. To me it's such an important component of my driving style that I'm lost when I have no sensation. Same thing when I drive with the sound off, the music or a bloated HUD, it completely ruins the immersion for me.

It's a bit difficult to explain why it is such a problem, when I know I won't have much trouble playing NFS Most Wanted 2012.

Quote:
i guess i never thought that would be something people would fault a game for it.
I'm French, if I don't complain daily, they strip me of my nationality
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
siamese snake

guff buster3's Gamercard
This has made made me upgrade my pre-order to the limited edition. I really want this game now.
Black Ops zombie mode.

Add me on XBL if you're up for boosting.
Current GS:92130

siamese snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
JeanRob

I see many people switching to the "Limited" edition, but how many of you will be buying the season pass?

EDIT: To the others editors, that's why you should always make a demo for your game!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
MASS DOMINATION

mass d0minati0n's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The demo just made me sad. Not because it was bad, but because I wish I could have it
I have no time, no money and too many other games to play first.

GT: MASS D0MINATI0N
105 completed games 81 Retail - 25 Arcade
Mass Effect 3 - Liara & Garrus conversation:
Liara : Did you really take out three Blue Suns mercs with one bullet?
Garrus:Nah of course not... The third guy had a heart attack. Not fair to count him.
MASS DOMINATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
SuperSkyline89

SuperSkyline89's Gamercard

Quote:
The lack of vibration in the controller when they spin is completely wrong for my playstyle. If I can't feel when the car starts to slide I will go nowhere.
Is there a way to enable vibration? I hate playing without it too.

The biggest reason I dislike Gran Turismo is the utter lack of feel, something I've always loved from Forza, I'd be disappointed not to have that in Horizon.
I'm boycotting EA because they butchered the Need for Speed series and refused Turn 10 the Porsche license. Kinect earned the second spot on this list with an achievement in Forza 4 and exclusive features in non-Kinect-Exclusive games like Halo Anniversary.

Forza 4 Flickr Page
SuperSkyline89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
j9292

Quote:
I see many people switching to the "Limited" edition, but how many of you will be buying the season pass?

EDIT: To the others editors, that's why you should always make a demo for your game!
I will not being getting the season pass just seems to be a rip to me.

But aswell i would like to upgrade mypreorder but i worried that the online will be set up like skate 3 were you have a map but you can use all of it at a time and are only limited to a section. I've been on the search to find out how the online free roam will be set up before i do upgrade. so if anyone knows please let me know
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
DEG23
Waiting for 1989

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Quote:

I had such high hopes you would be pleasantly surprised

I had internet problems last night so i'll have to wait until i get home today to try it out. It's disappointing to hear there is a lack of immersion. Part of the fun of Forza is those times when you feel the car slipping from your control and having to wrestle it back. In those instances, vibration is a must.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #18
SatNiteEduardo

satniteeduardo's Gamercard

Main feedback on the official forums are that vibration is too low. Remember this is the demo so the full game may have more vibration.

I don't rely on vibration so for me the game is cool.

JeanRob good to see your explanations because I was surprised. I like the game.
The batshit fun for me is from racing a plane lol
SatNiteEduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #19
Barad
High on Life!

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Haven't had a chance to play it yet but i'll be buying regardless.

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
JeanRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSkyline89 View Post
Is there a way to enable vibration? I hate playing without it too.
There is vibration but it is badly calibrated.
You don't feel the tires or the springs, unless you hit something or go way off road. Or a plane flies 50 meters above you

Here's what I think of the vibration in Horizon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
I had such high hopes you would be pleasantly surprised
I was really willing to give it a shot. It's not even that bad, but rather not suited to my playstyle or what I want to play at the moment.

Quote:
It's disappointing to hear there is a lack of immersion. Part of the fun of Forza is those times when you feel the car slipping from your control and having to wrestle it back. In those instances, vibration is a must.
Remember, it's me we are talking about. I can be properly anal/picky about details sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatNiteEduardo View Post
Main feedback on the official forums are that vibration is too low. Remember this is the demo so the full game may have more vibration.
Let's hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatNiteEduardo View Post
The batshit fun for me is from racing a plane lol
Another thing that worries me is the possibility that you will have to deal with a cheating AI.
I was more or less on par with the plane during the race but crashed at the last checkpoint and there was no way I could win the race. I kept on going and crossed the line 2/10th before the P51. It was already suspicious but when I saw the video above, the plane also crossed the line moments after the player, eventhough he was playing in a much easier difficulty. It looked like the plane was waiting when you look at it in the sky.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
Snow Camo Kid

Snow Camo Kid's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1
Love the fact the discount boards show up on the map. Otherwise 100 could have been hard to find. I always seem to get 90ish and have a hard time finding the others without a map.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
AC (WP7) - 200/200 AC - 1000/1000
ACII - 1000/1000 AC:B - 1250/1250
AC:R - 1490/1490 ACIII - 1350/1350
ACIV:BF (360) - 1060/1250 ACIV:BF (One) - 1130/1250
AC:L - 400/400
Snow Camo Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
DEG23
Waiting for 1989

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Played through the demo and there are a few pleasant surprises and a few things i don't like.

I'm glad to see the cars handle differently based on their make and model. I was worried all the cars would feel too similar but there is a clear distinction between driving a Mustang and an Evo.

The free roam aspect is great, it's almost therapeutic to cruise along the open road, drifting corners and tearing through traffic, i can't see this getting old for a while.

What i don't like is the car models/graphics don't look as detailed/crisp as FM4. Also, i knew this wouldn't have the same physics as FM4 but IMO it is too arcadeish. Just for fun i tried the Evo race without lifting off the accelerator except for 1 or 2 corners and i still won. Overtaking in FM4 used to be about timing and picking gaps, where as in this i was able to drive full speed into a guard rail, sling myself round the corner on it and overtake a car without any great loss of speed.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #23
VonThronstahl

Throni360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I'm not impressed by the demo.

The music sucks, so I turned off the radio after 5 minutes. And the gameplay is not better. I don't like the whole concept. I thought that it'd be better.

Cool graphics and all, but nothing that I would play or like. Maybe I compare it to much with the real Forza games.
Bejeweled Live, Crash Time 4: The Syndicate & 5: Undercover, Cro-Mag Rally, Centipede, Hunter's Trophy 2: America & Australia, SEGA Rally Online Arcade, Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp and Victorious: Time to Shine.
VonThronstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
Rivercurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Rivercurse

Rivercurse's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
I was more or less on par with the plane during the race but crashed at the last checkpoint and there was no way I could win the race. I kept on going and crossed the line 2/10th before the P51.
Yeah, its suspicious. Even in all the YT videos I still haven't seen a race that wasn't within half a second.

Incidentally, general gameplay question, is there any penalty for using the rewinds? I tried to beat a rival 3 times and failed but on the 4th time I just rewound every error and beat him and still earned the same amount of money. That doesn't seem fair really. Oh, and are there a limited number of rewinds per race? I dont think I used over 3-4.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
VonThronstahl

Throni360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
It would suck if you can use rewind in the full version and still be on the leaderboard or ranking between friends.
Bejeweled Live, Crash Time 4: The Syndicate & 5: Undercover, Cro-Mag Rally, Centipede, Hunter's Trophy 2: America & Australia, SEGA Rally Online Arcade, Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp and Victorious: Time to Shine.
VonThronstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #26
TAI JASON

TAI JASON's Gamercard

For my opinion...

No enough simulation for Forza fans and not enough arcade for NFS fans.

I donīt buy it and i never will. It has nice graphics, but the cars look not so good as in Forza 4, i think itīs a performance problem in an open world racing game.

But calm down Forza fans, if they name it Forza Horizon, they will bring up a Forza 5
TAI JASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #27
Turkdaballa6

T6 EVO's Gamercard
I'm actually digging it. If you still want your hardcore simulation Forza 4 is still the place to go but I am loving Horizon. I love open world racing games. Even TDU2 was actually pretty good but Forza will take that crown.

I do have a question about the demo though... Do we not have access to the garage? We can have 3 damn cars in the demo but cannot change them after "beating" the game? Im rocking 600K+ and no access to a shop (which is fine) but not the other cars? I do wanna drive around in the viper lol...
Turkdaballa6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #28
tripleb2k

BobZombie3k's Gamercard

Awards Showcase GRID 2 Award   Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the demo. I thought I was playing Dirt 3 in nicer cars. The game runs smoothly and the cars look fantastic but I didn't have fun playing it.
Maybe its because the Season Pass has left me sour in regards to this game but it wasn't a Forza title, just a generic racer.
(before any says it, Season Pass is optional and doesn't affect the gameplay but it's been a major turn off for me).

tripleb2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #29
JeanRob

Quote:
Played through the demo and there are a few pleasant surprises and a few things i don't like.
[...]
Also, i knew this wouldn't have the same physics as FM4 but IMO it is too arcadeish. [...] Overtaking in FM4 used to be about timing and picking gaps, where as in this i was able to drive full speed into a guard rail, sling myself round the corner on it and overtake a car without any great loss of speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonThronstahl View Post
I'm not impressed by the demo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercurse View Post
Yeah, its suspicious. Even in all the YT videos I still haven't seen a race that wasn't within half a second
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAI JASON View Post
I donīt buy it and i never will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb2k View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the demo.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #30
jegino

jegino's Gamercard
Everything just horribly reminds of the last NFS Most Wanted demo, so I'll pass and wait for Grid 2.
jegino is offline   Reply With Quote