PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Strategy > XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
asdfen

Play tips (spoilers)

base building / Resource management
-council countries are your main source of income. making sure none leave council is crucial (if you disagree or found another way to finance your campaign you can skip most of this section)
- Therefore building satellite coverage should be a priority. giving satellite launch order just before the end of the month may bring in more money plus you never know where you will need them the most at the end of the month. Full red countries leave the xcom project during council meeting. Covering whole continent with satellites gives bonuses same as starting bonuses for that continent. sometimes these choices are hard but they are up to you. Cover a full continent or try keeping more countries around.
- once satellite is launched protect them with a single craft as if you manage to shoot down every ufo detected it help your score/income at the end of the month. after 3 months(may/june) into the game you should start upgrading weapons on your craft and/or craft themselves.
-workshops are key to not going broke while building other buildings and purchasing equipment 7% reduction per connection doesn't seem much but once you have 3+ stuff starts to cost almost nothing
-do not sell alien corpses unless you must as some items require them for non research "research" and manufacturing other items. The only stuff that is safe to sell are damaged ufo parts and the stuff that game marked as non research essential like alien surgery/food/etc
-capturing and researching 1 of each alien species grant bonuses to research speeds. All the aliens are capture-able including the elite/heavy versions except for robots. the robots are very distinguishable there are only two aliens that are confusing one is floater (can capture) and chryssalid(cannot capture). bonus is specie dependent. Captured aliens also surrender their weapons.

Placement
- buildings can and should be linked vertically AND horizontally
- the power supply grid should be located around your steam spot(s) as I dig to to the nearest one and form a 3-4(sometimes more depends on steam and how research is going as there are advanced elirium power plants) power grid around first one available.
-link 6 satellite uplinks if you can mix up with satellite nexus as these are more space efficient. Figure it out through ingame menu how many more uplink slots you req through situation/launch satellite
-3+ workshops the more the better
- I completely ignore the labs as the research only net expensive arms and armor that I cant afford as I am spending all the cash on satellites and only pursue labs when I have build the satellites + officer training or have extra cash/power but at that point all the research is usually done anyways.

Battle Survival
-scope is your best friend as without it my troops do not seem to be able to hit anything. research Weapon Fragments
- in case the game screws you as it had on mine and you have 8+ snipers in original roster make sure to hire new recruits till you have the amounts of classes you need/want
-pick a tactic suitable to your person and refine it over course of the game. All 40 or so missions/battles/skirmishes/whatever you will encounter in single playthrough are extremely similar.
-once you finish with skirmish take your time and reload all your weapons before continuing
-it is advisable to save on geoscape before the end of the month and after every mission so you can reset/roll back if RNG mega does not like you
-have sniper with squad sight take up a good position elevated or just overlooking the whole map in overwatch mode before advancing
-another tactic is to advance a single troop. preferably assault with lightning reflexes. advance half of total move turn if resistance encountered just take a shot with sniper and then retreat your assault back into cover.
-berserker can be ignored when suppressed. This helped me in epic proportions on impossible.
-how I kill 3 enemy squads.
- aggressive way Single enemy is usually taken care of by sniper. I will kill another with assault and 3rd with another 2 squad members
-cautious way 1 with sniper 1 suppressed another I slowly wear down with people behind heavy cover while trying to flank at same time.
-mega cautious. everyone in heavy cover assault leaves to scout half a turn and pulls back if enemies are encountered. Assault because I can still shoot with him after moving twice.
-health granted by armor serves as buffer meaning that at the end of battle your soldiers will not take time to recover even after taking armor dmg.

Class info
- assault class with shotgun is quiet a beast as they can move the whole 2 turns and then take action and shoot twice all in one turn and as enemies do not really roam much you can safely skip a few turns most of the time to reset cool down. Multiples stack well.
- sniper after getting squad sight try to keep them in positions where they can shoot at any point on the map unobstructed. that is usually somewhere with elevation skeleton/archangel armor can be of help to climb stuff. I wouldn't recommend having more than one at any given time in the squad. solo = awesome . Multiples of snipers I couldn't find much use for. For each his own thought.Double tap is preferable to inthezone imo
glitch - shots go through walls on xbox but only in overwatch mode and only on the initial alien moment when they run for cover right after being spotted for the first time. Perk of squad sight is required for this but with best available sniper rifle and perk that eliminates penalties for overwatch this is 1 shot KO on spotting a group of enemies so 1/3 difficulty reduction
-heavy class is great at killing robots and provide support. They can destroy cover and increase dmg from other sources. Have highest hp and can shoot twice per turn when not moving. Can obliterate tightly packed groups of enemies with their rockets. Multiples stack well.
-support class has advantages when doing overwatch and healing. Also can equip 2 accessories meaning they are your best choice as capture guy as they can still equip your choice accessories plus Arc Thrower. Multiples stack well.
plz chime in with your thoughts. I play max offensive so your stats are welcome

Panic managment
This is how I kept all the countries with me on classic/ironman
Launched at least 2 satellites a month. All of my money were spend on satellite uplinks/satellites. To finance this I've sold it all. Corpses/ufo power sources/flight computers everything as long as I needed the money I've sold it. Whenever engineers were available as mission rewards I chose that and also have built workshops to increase engineer numbers even further so I can build more satellite uplinks. I've researched primarily story missions till base capture was available. I did not do base capture until I needed world wide panic reduction at the end of the month. That saved me a few countries and gave me enough time to launch all the satellites. after the whole globe was covered I never had panic troubles. PS: Do not fail any missions till global coverage as panic penalty for that is huge. It is possible to loose a few countries and still easily win. As missions are random sometimes loosing a few states is unavoidable but you should try your best to keep them all as the rewards are grand. Like not loosing the game for instance
- missions that reduce panic: capture the alien base (-2: world wide)

Misc
-enabling autosave in options helps as it allows you to roll back 2-3 turns
- playing ironman for achievement purposes not for challenge you can sign out of your account before enemies turn is done and load the game to roll back a single turn. If you want challenge ignore this.
- for me a game last roughly 365 days and consists of 30-40 battles so plan accordingly

My observations on difficulty settings
- from my knowledge difficulty changes the following enemies get +HP/+crit chance/+accuracy/higher cover bonus/grenades are used more often. Player gets - screwed. Higher the difficulty nets more screwing At impossible you will encounter more horrible enemy make ups like all elite/mutton+driods ships
Ez - dunno
Normal - is normal. I started with this and it was challenging enough while working out the basics. I enjoyed it.
Classic - basically the same as normal for me as I played it right after normal and since I then knew my way around it wasn't that difficult.
Impossible I didn't like it much. My personal opinion accuracy should not have been tempered with as @#$@#$ green !@#!@# heads pistol snipe my squad from way across the map in best cover from bellow like it was nothing. The only way cover is reliable is with smoke grenades on impossible. If not for the accuracy I would've actually liked it. As is I however hate it and wont play it again.
Ironman - hate it. Sometimes you will luck out on a mission and have 10-16 dudes all spawn in the same spot and there isn't really much that can save you then. Restarting the whole game cause of that I wouldn't like except when maybe mixing it with normal difficulty or something.

Last edited by asdfen; 11-18-2013 at 01:50 PM.
asdfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
J4ckyb0y1

Ix J4ckyb0y xI's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfen View Post
- does anyone know if it is possible to buy interceptors before firestorm becomes available for production?
Go to the Hangers, scroll up or down to an empty space of the continent you wish to buy an interceptor for and hit A. Then you can pick from 1-4 and it will show you the costs involved.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
asdfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4ckyb0y1 View Post
Go to the Hangers, scroll up or down to an empty space of the continent you wish to buy an interceptor for and hit A. Then you can pick from 1-4 and it will show you the costs involved.
thanks!
lol I wish I knew that earlier before I just finished classic/ironman
Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
xD Rick
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to xD Rick

xD Rick's Gamercard
Hey friends, how long it takes per playthrough?
xD Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
asdfen

first game took me around 15ish hours on normal
classic ironman about the same
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Breeding

lostmyinfo's Gamercard
Do I suck at this game or am I trying too hard to do well? I've been doing the missions that come up and choosing the mission in the country with the highest panic , but I keep losing countries. Is it unavoidable or what? Should I just be bum rushing the story objectives or trying to get some extra missions in before doing the priority objectives?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
asdfen

all I've got is keep launching satelites. I launch at least 2/month till the whole globe is covered after that its easy. Another thing make sure not to fail any missions early on or things can get out of control and fast. On classic I was sitting on capture base mission till I was about to loose a few countries and then completed it right before months end. Next month I've completed global coverage and all was well.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Mandalorian831

Mandalorian831's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeding View Post
Do I suck at this game or am I trying too hard to do well? I've been doing the missions that come up and choosing the mission in the country with the highest panic , but I keep losing countries. Is it unavoidable or what? Should I just be bum rushing the story objectives or trying to get some extra missions in before doing the priority objectives?
I am having the same problems as you. But for me I just think that I suck because I haven't ever played an Xcom game and haven't played an RTS in a while.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
So what's the best way to get all countries with satellite cover? Build a few workshop at the beginning to reduce costs or what because I keep losing countries as I play! What to do and how, and is it the same for all difficulties?

Achievements completion : 99,41%
Gamerscore completion : 99,43%
Retail games completed : 76/80
I'm a completionist!!!

Currently working on Halo MCC, GTA 5 (X1).
Looking for partners to boost Saints Row 1 mp achievements

If you send a friend request, please send a message telling why, otherwise I will just ignore it

Last edited by Snoop QC; 10-12-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Snoop QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
ChaosTheoryV2X

ChaosTheory V2X's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Personally I love heavy, rockets can completely turn the tide of battle in your favor when theres a large group about to own you.
ChaosTheoryV2X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

Also, is it better to rush the story and objectives first or just do missions, a lot of research, build facilities and weapons?

I'm a completionist!!!

If you send a friend request, please send a message telling why, otherwise I will just ignore it
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
asdfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop QC View Post
Also, is it better to rush the story and objectives first or just do missions, a lot of research, build facilities and weapons?
There is no such thing as better in this game. It depends on your strategy and tactics. By that I mean it is possible to rush for story objectives and beat the whole game without upgrading your squad much but most likely will require a lot of reloading. On other hand if you are playing ironman you probably will want to research all especially armor and plasma weapons whatever plasma weapon or laser weapon type you have should be your main troops class for squad.
For example laser/plasma rifles means that your troops should consist of support/assault class soldiers as these weapons are vastly superior to the original.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
red_hammer

R3DH4MM3R's Gamercard
When you get to the laser weapons early - rush the base mission as it becomes much harder when time goes by.

The aliens don't care about your story progress - in May the Mutons and Cyberdiscs arrive - then the Berserkers.
When you do the base mission when the berserkers already arrived then you'll have a really hard time - then you get Muton/Berserker Groups and Cyberdiscs in one mission - you don't want that

As for the Heavy - this class is a real killer!
My Rocketeer heavy on PC had 75 kills after one playthrough. They have a high HP value which means they're less likely to be one shotted.
And a Rocketeer has 3 rockets - Shredder Rocket (33% higher damage for 3 rounds) for high HP aliens like Sectopods or Berserkers
And then you still have 2 rockets spare for any use.

Also a Sectopod or a Cyberdisc can be defeated pretty fast with 2 Heavies.
Your Rocketeer fires the Shredder and than take your sniper or the other Heavy (when you field two) and finish those guys - normal rockets with HEAT ammo and Shredded debuff usually do 26 damage to Cyberdiscs or Sectopods!

My group setup for Classic was:
2 Support (1 Psi-Medic, 1 with 2 Smoke Grenades)
2 Heavy (1 Rocketeer, 1 Suppression with Holo Targeting)
1 Snap-Shot sniper (Squad-Sight doesn't worked for me at all - shot was pretty much always blocked which made Squad sight obsolete for me)
1 Assault (I went for increased def but additional crit-dmg)
Omerta - City of Gangsters (02/1/13 - 05:40pm GMT)

Completed retail: 33

red_hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
asdfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hammer View Post
As for the Heavy - this class is a real killer!
Which difficulty are you refereeing to?

I defeated huge robots with assault with double shot or with heavy with 100%+ robotic damage heavy takes longer to get in position as their aim is pretty horrible. assault with run and gun/double shot does insane amount of damage with shotguns. Sometimes I had single assault take out these in one attack if he got lucky on crits.

sniper shots only go through walls on xbox and only in overwatch mode and only one the initial alien moment when they run to cover after being spotted for the first time.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
red_hammer

R3DH4MM3R's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfen View Post
Which difficulty are you refereeing to?
Classic.
And the heavy weren't my main damage dealers - I used them as support.
Like I said - prepare big enemies with the Shredder rocket and your sniper or assault can finish them off.
Also I don't like exposing my assault just to get a kill. This can be quite deadly when a Muton or a Heavy Floater is in Range...

And my other heavy had Holo Targeting so you want him to shoot first so every1 else gets a +10 Aim buff (10 Aim = 10% higher chance to hit)

And as for the Killer: Especially in the first missions - Thin Men and Sectoids usually stick to the same cover - then you can finish 3 enemies with just one rocket.
Omerta - City of Gangsters (02/1/13 - 05:40pm GMT)

Completed retail: 33

red_hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
Sarsage

sarsage's Gamercard
Thought I would post this video as it seems quite helpful.

Sarsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
Noite

Winfamy's Gamercard
What kind of facility setup would you recommend in order to take full advantage from the adjacency bonuses?
Noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
asdfen

updated the first post for base building tips
Old 10-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
Lewd Llama 69

Lewd Llama 69's Gamercard
Anyone know if the Heavy holo targeting skill stacks multiple times? May have to try that later out of curiosity.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #20
J4ckyb0y1

Ix J4ckyb0y xI's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewd Llama 69 View Post
Anyone know if the Heavy holo targeting skill stacks multiple times? May have to try that later out of curiosity.
Halo does not stack. Only thing I know for sure that does stack is Mindfray. There might be other things that stack, but those two I know for sure.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
Lewd Llama 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4ckyb0y1 View Post
Halo does not stack. Only thing I know for sure that does stack is Mindfray. There might be other things that stack, but those two I know for sure.
Thanks for the info on Mindfray, didn't know that one stacked Oh and tip for people like me....when your having your engineers create items for you....you can press the Y button (which i never noticed on the screen) to cut the amount of time it takes to create the item but also doubles the price. So a satellite which would normally cost you $100 and take 20 days to complete...would cost $200 and take 10 days to make. I had been scrambling to keep all my countries from going into panic mode, when i could have easily taken care of the problem pumping out 2 satellites per month.

Just had it brought to my attention that you need a foundry and research advance construction for that bonus to kick in. Thank to InsertCoffee for that info. Must have skimmed over what it did a little too quickly lol.

Last edited by Lewd Llama 69; 10-14-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Lewd Llama 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

For research, you could add that interrogating live aliens helps fasten some research trees like Sectoid for laser weaponry, Floater for basic armor technology, Muton for plasma weaponry, Berzerker for armor technology, Thin Man for UFO technology.

I'm a completionist!!!

Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #23
InsertCoffee

InsertCoffee's Gamercard
I think it could be worth mentioning that capturing aliens will grant you their weapons. The Mutons for example give you a free plasma rifle. And they are, despite their appearance, easy to capture. A laser sniper rifle or a plasma rifle only do 8 damage. Which brings them down to 2 hp and opens the window for the arc thrower.
It takes some practice to position your guys correctly for sure, but i for example never built a plasma rifle myself. :P (but not because i wanted to get them that way...i'm just broke as hell since the invasion started... )

InsertCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #24
Lewd Llama 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertCoffee View Post
I think it could be worth mentioning that capturing aliens will grant you their weapons. The Mutons for example give you a free plasma rifle. And they are, despite their appearance, easy to capture. A laser sniper rifle or a plasma rifle only do 8 damage. Which brings them down to 2 hp and opens the window for the arc thrower.
It takes some practice to position your guys correctly for sure, but i for example never built a plasma rifle myself. :P (but not because i wanted to get them that way...i'm just broke as hell since the invasion started... )
Yeah i did it the same way. I had a couple of support troops with me so i could have them carry 2 items. Each had a arcthrower. I would jump any mutons i saw, and then proceed to rob them blind
Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
asdfen

updated the post
Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #26
SpinelesS

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
a few tips I would have found useful

1) You can build satelites even if you don't have the uplink capacity to launch them built yet.

2) Dont build the Hyperwave Relay unless you have at least 1 firestorm. The Raven Interceptors cannot shoot down the UFO that appears no matter what weapons it has, even on easy (at least that was the case for me).

3)When you return from a mission save your game. Events are semi random, so you can change the odd thing for something better with a bit of luck.

Last edited by SpinelesS; 10-16-2012 at 07:56 AM.
SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #27
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinelesS View Post

1) You can build satelites even if you don't have the uplink capacity to launch them built yet.

2) Dont build the Hyperwave Relay unless you have at least 1 firestorm. The Raven Interceptors cannot shoot down the UFO that appears no matter what weapons it has, even on easy (at least that was the case for me).

3)When you return from a mission save your game. Events are semi random, so you can change the odd thing for something better with a bit of luck.
Yeah, especially counsel requests and missions, you can reload to get a better reward or one that matches better your short term objectives like scientists, engineers, cash, soldiers or panic reduction.

I'm a completionist!!!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #28
Shabba
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinelesS View Post

You can shoot this UFO down with interceptors without having the firestorm researched on classic difficulty although proably not on Impossible, I did. Using the Plasma Cannon, Turbo Booster, Aim, and x2 Dodge. Though best to go for the firestorm it will make mincemeat outta of it.
Shabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #29
SpinelesS

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
another tip (though it's probably only useful for the "Ain't No Cavalry Comin'" achievement) is that promotions are random.

So if you save your game just before you kill the last alien on the first mission, and when you get back to base you don't like the promotions you got you can reload your save and try again. I would think the easiest class to get Ain't No Cavalry Comin' would be the sniper - especially if you use squad sight and overwatch a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop QC View Post
Yeah, especially counsel requests and missions, you can reload to get a better reward or one that matches better your short term objectives like scientists, engineers, cash, soldiers or panic reduction.
You can also change the location for the council missions (I'm assuming the panic reduction only works in the location of the mission)

I played around with the first council mission.

The lowest 2 rewards I got were:
$118 and panic reduction
and
A Support Sergeant and panic reduction
(not sure which of the two I would consider worse)

as for the highest:
The most cash I was offered was $253, with either a Sniper Sergeant, or 2 engineers or 4 scientists.(and panic reduction of course)

The highest amount of cash I was offered along with 5 engineers or 5 scientist was $241 (and panic reduction of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba View Post
You can shoot this UFO down with interceptors without having the firestorm researched on classic difficulty although proably not on Impossible, I did. Using the Plasma Cannon, Turbo Booster, Aim, and x2 Dodge. Though best to go for the firestorm it will make mincemeat outta of it.
Must have been bad luck on my part. I was always either shot down or timer ran out. I was using all the bonuses and I had the best current weapon (I think it was a plasma cannon but I'm not 100% sure)

Last edited by SpinelesS; 10-20-2012 at 03:39 AM.
SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
Shabba
Banned User

I had to load it a few times but yes it was possible. Boosters, Aim, Dodges and the Plasma Cannon. On Classic difficulty, on Impossible though even the Scout UFO's can be challenging.

You cannot change the locations of any mission, they are preset according to you game, and game time. You can always reload to get different rewards.

Experience is based on kills, you can improve this with the Officer Training School Skill.

Last edited by Shabba; 10-20-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Shabba is offline   Reply With Quote