Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Borderlands
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
ICT Venom

ict venom's Gamercard
Am I the only one...

...who has gone back to the original Borderlands, because of BL2 not living up to all the hype? Granted, I will say the gameplay for BL2 is fun, but it is mainly the loot system that I have problems with:

1) How irrelevant chest have become. I don't know about you, but about all I ever see in any chest are white and green pistols or white relics. I have never seen an orange in a chest in the game, which leads to my next point.

2)The MMO style of farming bosses over and over for a very small chance at the legendary they may drop. BL1 was not like this at all, to change how the guns are generated from being truly random to tying things to essentially only specific bosses, what is the point of the rest of the game world? I bought this game thinking it was Borderlands version 2.0 and not some MMO. Many people who play MMOs treat the games like work, and I already have a job, I don't want another one! BL2 definitely has a more workish feel to it, if you want to go for really any legendary weapon. I can't blame people this time around for resorting to mods to get what they want.

3)Lack of backpack and bank space. In BL1, you could have 42 backpack (more if you farmed for SDU's in PT2) and 42 bank slots. In BL2 the 27 slot backpack and roughly 20 bank slots are very lack luster for a game that is supposedly about finding and keeping lots of loot.

Anyways, there's my beef with BL2, it is still a good game, I just have some problems with the post PT 2 end game. I did do some BL last night, and it was simply nothing but fun. I think I will continue to do BL in the meantime, as it is definitely one of my favorite games.
ICT Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I haven't went back to BL 1 yet but I agree with your post, 100%.

And for me, this one's more difficult, since I made to level 35, solo, in the first one and not even level 25 in this one, before asking friends to help me.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
Iv AJay vI

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I got a level 50 Hellfire SMG (Orange) from a chest, so I can't say their 100% irrelevant, but the drop rate for anything more rare than green is fucking awful in BLands 2.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
WooliestRaptor

Wooliest Raptor's Gamercard
I have started playing the original Borderlands again as well. I only played BL2 because a friend got it, so we've been going through the campaign together. I'm not sure if that counts as going back. I do agree about the random loot drops though - very rare that I find good stuff in chests in BL2.
WooliestRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
ecu1982

Craig0930's Gamercard
My GF bought me borderlands 2, and I finished that. Just picked up the GOTY of Borderlands today. So is this one better??
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
WooliestRaptor

Wooliest Raptor's Gamercard
I don't know that it's universally better, but I liked the hunter character a lot in Borderlands, so naturally I was disappointed it wasn't back. Other than that, I'm not sure that it's necessarily better, I mean, Handsome Jack is pretty funny in BL2. I would say that I enjoyed the playthrough of the first game more, but BL2 just feels mostly like more of the same.

I will say that the Claptrap Robot Revolution DLC is some of the most fun gameplay of anything so far in Borderlands, but the achievements for the DLC are generally terrible and there is no fast traveling, which makes things a little annoying. Even so, it's a lot of fun.

Last edited by WooliestRaptor; 11-01-2012 at 12:24 AM.
WooliestRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Jagerboy

x80ProofKillerx's Gamercard
I haven't gone back to the first, I have some gripes but I'm really enjoying this one.

1) I don't think chests are irrelevant now. The drop rate is much lower this time around, I agree. But they're called "legendary" weapons for a reason. I get much more satisfaction out of finding one now. Remember how extremely rare pearls were?

2) I kind of agree with you here. But again, I think it's much more rewarding when you finally get the drop you've been after.

3)Agreed, there does need to be more storage. But remember, there was a lack of storage in the 1st game in the beginning too. The bank wasn't added until a few dlc's later. I'm sure more will be added.
Jagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
Wrinklefighter

Grreen lantern's Gamercard
I played the games backwards as well and just recently started 1 and so far like the sequel better. I think the HUD layout and the and the voice acting gave it the edge over 1 for me. Granted, I'm not that far into it, so once it's 100%'d, that opinion may change.
Wrinklefighter is offline   Reply With Quote