PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooters > Doom 3 BFG Edition
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #31
FoehammersRvng

Foehammers Rvng's Gamercard
I would have liked a weapon wheel, since cycling through each of them is kind of annoying and can actually pose problems if you're trying to get to a certain weapon that's suited for the enemy running at you.

Also, the fall damage is absurd. You get hurt from falling like two feet.
FoehammersRvng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #32
Kahn13

TwistOfFate619's Gamercard
Graphics:
While i'm glad it's 60 FPS I feel they could have used some filtering and/or higher quality textures. Come on, this is DOOM (the games are well known for being graphically flexible and userfriendly even for fans - let alone the original developers with more resources at their disposal)!

It's not like Quake 4 which was (IIRC) a launch title for the 360 and desperately needed to be optimised. Game developers are more comfortable with console game development and with optimizing them. Look at how Rage plays.

Since this is apparently using an updated engine surely it could still pull off high FPS with better graphics. I don't care if there would have been minor changes or whatever. The game deserved better graphically. Kinda wish they'd at least fixed the "pointy" heads somehow.

Controls:
Sprinting is tedious since it's not just pressing the stick but HOLDING the damn stick (seriously what were they thinking? Have they played any other modern successful game?).

And for that matter why is there only 2 sets of controls? If you're going to restrict players from customizing controls: GIVE MORE OPTIONS. Controls are more important than devs and even some gamers like to think. They can spoil the experience if they become a liability to the player.

Sound:
I might talk about this later, i've only just started up the game more or less though if the weapons still sound the same I might be a little disappointed. When I played it on the PC I actually went ahead and downloaded a fan-made sound mod with better sounds because the original weapons sounded weak.

Classic Doom:
Aside from the fact that they apparently changed content and the fact that they can't be installed and played (technically), there's something else I have to question. Why do they insist on always retaining 4:3 aspect ratio and strictly pixelated graphics?

Now I've been a Doom fan my entire life. I've played the series more than any other game series (or games), and one thing I came to appreciate were graphical enhancements made available through fan sourceports like GZDoom such as Widescreen, scaling, filters etc.

John Carmack has apparently had no problem in the past contacting fans and using some of their sourceport work. So why didn't that happen here? If the original pixelated graphics were THAT important to keep then I imagine it would still be possible to have been able to implement an option for these things (as fan sourceports also offer).

Final Thoughts:
I'm glad Doom 3 was re-released like this but I hate how they haven't taken the initiative to make it a more polished release. This could have been awesome - instead it's only ok at best IMO.

Kahn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #33
Zeppelin 856

xXKILL CREEKXx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn13 View Post
Graphics:
While i'm glad it's 60 FPS I feel they could have used some filtering and/or higher quality textures. Come on, this is DOOM (the games are well known for being graphically flexible and userfriendly even for fans - let alone the original developers with more resources at their disposal)!

It's not like Quake 4 which was (IIRC) a launch title for the 360 and desperately needed to be optimised. Game developers are more comfortable with console game development and with optimizing them. Look at how Rage plays.

Since this is apparently using an updated engine surely it could still pull off high FPS with better graphics. I don't care if there would have been minor changes or whatever. The game deserved better graphically. Kinda wish they'd at least fixed the "pointy" heads somehow.

Controls:
Sprinting is tedious since it's not just pressing the stick but HOLDING the damn stick (seriously what were they thinking? Have they played any other modern successful game?).

And for that matter why is there only 2 sets of controls? If you're going to restrict players from customizing controls: GIVE MORE OPTIONS. Controls are more important than devs and even some gamers like to think. They can spoil the experience if they become a liability to the player.

Sound:
I might talk about this later, i've only just started up the game more or less though if the weapons still sound the same I might be a little disappointed. When I played it on the PC I actually went ahead and downloaded a fan-made sound mod with better sounds because the original weapons sounded weak.

Classic Doom:
Aside from the fact that they apparently changed content and the fact that they can't be installed and played (technically), there's something else I have to question. Why do they insist on always retaining 4:3 aspect ratio and strictly pixelated graphics?

Now I've been a Doom fan my entire life. I've played the series more than any other game series (or games), and one thing I came to appreciate were graphical enhancements made available through fan sourceports like GZDoom such as Widescreen, scaling, filters etc.

John Carmack has apparently had no problem in the past contacting fans and using some of their sourceport work. So why didn't that happen here? If the original pixelated graphics were THAT important to keep then I imagine it would still be possible to have been able to implement an option for these things (as fan sourceports also offer).

Final Thoughts:
I'm glad Doom 3 was re-released like this but I hate how they haven't taken the initiative to make it a more polished release. This could have been awesome - instead it's only ok at best IMO.
This package is more about quanity over quality. A la' The orange Box.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #34
Jet1337

Jet1337's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLaKgRaVy View Post
Same here. I played some real shit games for easy gamerscore (too numerous to list, but Hanna Montana and My Horse and Me 2 were two of them if that gives you an idea of what I've played...).

I basically just want to play the games I want to play, regardless of gamerscore (although I do have yet to play Kinect Sesame Street TV and Nat Geo TV). I realized it's just a meaningless virtual number that has no bearing on the importance of life whatsoever. It's a bragging tool, but do people really brag about their gamerscore? It just shows how much you spend your precious time gaming and not doing more meaningful things in life. Do you really want to brag about that? At least that's what I think.

Before November 2005, I was happy. Then I was obsessed for five years. Now I'm happy again. That's what's important to me.
Yeah, it's just an improved version of a high score.

I read that article in this month's GI about these two guys that want to hit a million gamerscore. One guy literally has no life and is being funded by this online company based on publicity and the other guy has a gravy job, so he can do his job and get gamerscore.

Kinda feel bad for these guys because I bet they get no enjoyment out of the games they play. Imagine a new game comes out and instead of saying, "Hey, I waited years for this game to come out. Man, am I gonna enjoy the shit outta this!", they probably say "Man, 50 more achievements I need to get to a million. This is gonna be a chore." for 7 years of every game they played.

Fuck that.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #35
Kahn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin 856 View Post
Actually from the way they made it sound at times it's kinda 50-50 (in relation to Doom III), or at least that's the impression they gave me what with the "remastered" part (as well as reports of actual minor improvements/fixes - wish they fixed the pointy head thing still).

Still I'd call The Orange box an actually quality release over this anyway since IIRC it wasn't plagued by god-awful controls and they went the distance to even include achievement progress stats in-game etc (taking advantage of console specifc features). That effort was commendable.

The fact that there's so few in-game options available (such as the controls) and that they just literally tacked the 3 games together (including the older XBLA ports which were already somewhat imperfect ports) is actually disappointing in comparison.

Still, although this is a "bitching" thread, I can't say it's all bad (i'm finding it reasonably enjoyable to playthrough again despite control issues). Just wish they'd gone the extra mile in making this a truly quality release.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #36
Zeppelin 856

Quote:
Actually from the way they made it sound at times it's kinda 50-50 (in relation to Doom III), or at least that's the impression they gave me what with the "remastered" part (as well as reports of actual minor improvements/fixes - wish they fixed the pointy head thing still).

Still I'd call The Orange box an actually quality release over this anyway since IIRC it wasn't plagued by god-awful controls and they went the distance to even include achievement progress stats in-game etc (taking advantage of console specifc features). That effort was commendable.

The fact that there's so few in-game options available (such as the controls) and that they just literally tacked the 3 games together (including the older XBLA ports which were already somewhat imperfect ports) is actually disappointing in comparison.

Still, although this is a "bitching" thread, I can't say it's all bad (i'm finding it reasonably enjoyable to playthrough again despite control issues). Just wish they'd gone the extra mile in making this a truly quality release.
I can agree to an extent. This game is just a 40$ re-release mind you. Now that I think about it, The Orange Box was 60$ when it came out. There's only so many options you can add to Doom before it turns into something else. Expecting more out a straight forward FPS is like anticipating a baby's first word to be bioluminescent.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #37
Kahn13

Quote:
I can agree to an extent. This game is just a 40$ re-release mind you. Now that I think about it, The Orange Box was 60$ when it came out. There's only so many options you can add to Doom before it turns into something else. Expecting more out a straight forward FPS is like anticipating a baby's first word to be bioluminescent.
They don't need to really change the gameplay itself though (certainly not to large extent at least). But there are more passive features (so to speak) that could have been of benefit. A lot of games nowadays tend to have ingame challenges or stats for instance (not just big games but also XBLA games too).

Aside from more user friendly controls I'd have loved to have had something like that especially for the older Doom games in particular. It may have been a "budget" type release, but unfortunately it just shows a bit too much and I can't help but get the feeling that they really cut corners on a lot of things (e.g. even on something like the hard drive installation issue for instance - very lazy and quite inexcusable IMO though doesn't affect me since I own the classic Doom's anyway...).

While maybe a bit risky from a business point of view to release this for anymore than what it was, I'd have gladly paid $60 for it had they put more heart into this.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #38
Zeppelin 856

Quote:
They don't need to really change the gameplay itself though (certainly not to large extent at least). But there are more passive features (so to speak) that could have been of benefit. A lot of games nowadays tend to have ingame challenges or stats for instance (not just big games but also XBLA games too).

Aside from more user friendly controls I'd have loved to have had something like that especially for the older Doom games in particular. It may have been a "budget" type release, but unfortunately it just shows a bit too much and I can't help but get the feeling that they really cut corners on a lot of things (e.g. even on something like the hard drive installation issue for instance - very lazy and quite inexcusable IMO though doesn't affect me since I own the classic Doom's anyway...).

While maybe a bit risky from a business point of view to release this for anymore than what it was, I'd have gladly paid $60 for it had they put more heart into this.
Agreed. I'm having trouble remembering if Rage had challenges...

I don't think it did, but if not I guess adding more bulk in terms of gameplay just really isn't id's style so to speak. Start Game, Shoot S**t, Finish Game, Ask Questions Later. That's pretty much the formula for every game with those guys.

I just wanted freaking co-op!!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #39
Delow317
Banned User

Delow317 XBL's Gamercard
After my first comment, there really isn't anything to bitch at other than the removal of weapon's fire (which used to illuminate the room in the 360 version) and not being able to bind weapons to the d pad.. other than those 2 things, this game is exactly what I was expecting.. and the 60fps framerate was a pleasent surprise.

Not even going to comment on how aweful the orange box was to this in terms of polish, framerate, and controls... especially the barely playable and gimped PS3 version. I am so done with Valve, they simply don't optimise their console ports the way ID does and their controls arn't as precise by anymeans IMO.

Last edited by Delow317; 11-01-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Delow317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #40
Kahn13

Quote:
Agreed. I'm having trouble remembering if Rage had challenges...

I don't think it did, but if not I guess adding more bulk in terms of gameplay just really isn't id's style so to speak. Start Game, Shoot S**t, Finish Game, Ask Questions Later. That's pretty much the formula for every game with those guys.

I just wanted freaking co-op!!
If they'd managed Co-op via Splitscreen (unlikely given the extra work required) or System Link at most then i'd be happy. Wouldn't care for Co-op over live since budget games always have too much lag (I hear Multiplayer does here and Halo Anniversary co-op on Live felt horrible).

And to be fair, ID did throw a tonne of side-missions as well as racing into Rage. So clearly they've shown interest in branching out a bit from linear shooters. Though it's no big surprise that they'd keep it simple with older releases (somewhat unfortunate to an extent here).

Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #41
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
This isn't a bitch, but the more I play BFG, the more I love it. id did a fantastic job. It's just the no co-op and lack of control customization which hurts it for me. Graphics are better than ever and the controls are silky smooth.

Signature by Gackt. Click it to visit the Classic FPS Gamers x360a social group!
Random friend requests or invites sent with no message will be deleted.
I have moved to PC gaming for the most part, so I won't be on Xbox LIVE much anymore.
Nevander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #42
poig

poig's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet1337 View Post
Well you see, I don't have my gaming pc yet, which I will be getting next year. And if you don't care about graphics, then why don't you go back to the N64. I heard they have good games and they aren't bugged and don't require 50 patches like most releases do these days.

Thanks for the insight Reverend Knowitall, but have you ever played Quake 4 on the 360? Do you realize how shitty that game runs on this system?

Graphics and the ability for a system to run a game go hand in hand. Graphics don't make or break a game, but it does immerse you deeper into it, making it a better experience.

So I look down on you for wanting better graphics? No, I look down on you because you're content with accepting years-old technology. You're a casual gamer and I despise casual gamers because they are ruining gaming in general. Look at every CoD that comes out every year for example.
Loser. I think most people are casual gamers because most of us have full time jobs and don't have time to play games all the time like dole bludgers like you. Get a job and make something useful of yourself or jump off a cliff so us taxpayers don't have to support you anymore.
poig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #43
Zeppelin 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevander View Post
This isn't a bitch, but the more I play BFG, the more I love it. id did a fantastic job. It's just the no co-op and lack of control customization which hurts it for me. Graphics are better than ever and the controls are silky smooth.
That's how I felt once I jumped into Lost Mission. That campaign is pretty intense.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #44
Zeppelin 856

When I play Doom 3 MP, my health keeps dropping as if I'm playing Nightmare mode no matter what gametype or map I play. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #45
Jet1337

Jet1337's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poig View Post
Loser. I think most people are casual gamers because most of us have full time jobs and don't have time to play games all the time like dole bludgers like you. Get a job and make something useful of yourself or jump off a cliff so us taxpayers don't have to support you anymore.
Thanks for making an account just to reply to me. Also, you're fucking ignorant and don't know anything about me.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #46
Kahn13

Quote:
Another thing I noticed is that the shotgun got nerfed to fucking hell. In the Xbox version in Recruit and Marine, it only took one shell to kill an imp. I don't know if it is any different in the original pc version, but this sucks the hairiest of balls.
Although I own the Xbox version I never played it extensively. I did however play PC version A LOT (and seeing as how this BFG version is based off the PC version) I can say that it's as terrible as it's always been!

Seriously, I actually went out of my way to install fan made mods (and once I found out how, even edited the Shotgun myself) to either tighten and or increase the damage of its pellets because I found it to be unbearable.

Having completed the whole game a few days ago, I can honestly say that the Shotgun was easily the biggest annoyance I had since it was just SO unreliable even sometimes at point-blank range. That and I always wish that the pistol would be stronger against zombies (approx 4 - 5 headshots per unarmoured zombie is pathetic IMO - hell the original Doom Pistol killed Zombiemen in only 2 shots on average).

Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #47
Zeppelin 856

Quote:
Although I own the Xbox version I never played it extensively. I did however play PC version A LOT (and seeing as how this BFG version is based off the PC version) I can say that it's as terrible as it's always been!

Seriously, I actually went out of my way to install fan made mods (and once I found out how, even edited the Shotgun myself) to either tighten and or increase the damage of its pellets because I found it to be unbearable.

Having completed the whole game a few days ago, I can honestly say that the Shotgun was easily the biggest annoyance I had since it was just SO unreliable even sometimes at point-blank range. That and I always wish that the pistol would be stronger against zombies (approx 4 - 5 headshots per unarmoured zombie is pathetic IMO - hell the original Doom Pistol killed Zombiemen in only 2 shots on average).
I'm scratching my head as I read this because the shotgun destroys. It takes 2 shells to kill an arch-vile and it's the only gun I use online. That statement above is utter nonsense.

Last edited by Zeppelin 856; 11-04-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Zeppelin 856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #48
Kahn13

Quote:
I'm scratching my head as I read this because the shotgun destroys. It takes 2 shells to kill an arch-vile and it's the only gun I use online. That statement above is utter nonsense.
What are you on about? I didn't say it was "completely useless" or that it "CAN'T" potentially kill things; I said it's unreliable. Sure I've managed to kill an arch-vile with 2 well placed shots too and yes it can mow down a lot of weaker enemies with one shot... that is when the pellets actually manage to hit the target!

THAT is my problem with it. The spread on the thing is ridiculous and the damage of each pellet is low enough to require that you pretty much land EVERY single one of them on the target (a somewhat difficult feat to consistently pull off unless you're literally touching each enemy & manage to land some of them on the targets head) and the fact that enemies such as z-sec and imps are such thin targets.

It's easy enough to cater for it's shortcomings/drawbacks (with simple evading and careful timing and aiming) and I personally used it more than the other guns - but that doesn't change the fact that I still dislike it. It doesn't feel like the reliable "go to" CQC gun that I expect. Instead (in the absence of that) it's a weapon you're forced to make do with til you get the awesome Double Barrel.

Maybe you strongly disagree but there are tonnes of people who do agree with me about the D3 Shotgun (a quick google search easily proves that).

Last edited by Kahn13; 11-04-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #49
cokebabies

ricky caldwell's Gamercard
Quote:
Yeah, it's just an improved version of a high score.

I read that article in this month's GI about these two guys that want to hit a million gamerscore. One guy literally has no life and is being funded by this online company based on publicity and the other guy has a gravy job, so he can do his job and get gamerscore.

Kinda feel bad for these guys because I bet they get no enjoyment out of the games they play. Imagine a new game comes out and instead of saying, "Hey, I waited years for this game to come out. Man, am I gonna enjoy the shit outta this!", they probably say "Man, 50 more achievements I need to get to a million. This is gonna be a chore." for 7 years of every game they played.

Fuck that.
Yeah, I don't know if the article was supposed to make me think "Wow, that's impressive!" But it just made me depressed.
cokebabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #50
cokebabies

While there's a handful of little things, my biggest gripe might be the sprint function. Holding down a button is do-able, but holding down the thumb stick is ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #51
Kahn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokebabies View Post
While there's a handful of little things, my biggest gripe might be the sprint function. Holding down a button is do-able, but holding down the thumb stick is ridiculous.
Yeah, meanwhile is wasted on Torch (which could EASILY have taken absolutely any other button and still be accessible). It would have been understandable had the actual original Torch been retained, but it's like they didn't account for the new way.

Although I highly doubt it'd happen I really wish the Sprint button (or control settings in general) would be addressed in a title update (I recall hearing Perfect Dark XBLA recieved that kind of treatment in regards to its controls and/or settings?).

Last edited by Kahn13; 11-06-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #52
cokebabies

Quote:
Yeah, meanwhile is wasted on Torch (which could EASILY have taken absolutely any other button and still be accessible). It would have been understandable had the actual original Torch been retained, but it's like they didn't account for the new way.

Although I highly doubt it'd happen I really wish the Sprint button (or control settings in general) would be addressed in a title update (I recall hearing Perfect Dark XBLA recieved that kind of treatment in regards to its controls and/or settings?).
I hadn't even thought of LT. Sure, with the constant switching, it's nice to have a reliable button for flashlight (or torch, if you will). But for an action that requires holding down, the stick is just awful.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #53
Blackest Metal

Darth Stinkius's Gamercard
I hate that theres no weapon mapping, toggle for crouch/sprint and no quicksave button (xbox 1 version had it)

Blackest Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #54
BosmaniaK

Bosmaniak's Gamercard
Quote:
What the hell are you smoking?
The Orange Box is quality AND quantatity.
BosmaniaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #55
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosmaniaK View Post
What the hell are you smoking?
The Orange Box is quality AND quantatity.
I love the Orange Box. FIVE games in one. Was so psyched being able to replay HL2, EP1, and EP2 on my 360 and get those achievements.

Signature by Gackt. Click it to visit the Classic FPS Gamers x360a social group!
Random friend requests or invites sent with no message will be deleted.
I have moved to PC gaming for the most part, so I won't be on Xbox LIVE much anymore.
Nevander is offline   Reply With Quote