PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Assassin's Creed III
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
MRCTECH4

MRCTECH4's Gamercard
The giant and the storm (privateer mission)

i've completed all the naval related missions however i cannot get full sync on the privateer mission called 'The Giant And The Storm'

sink ships by firing on their powder stores

how do you reveal said stores? thanx for any help you guys can give
MRCTECH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Tuzky

Daykyri's Gamercard
Just ram the ships. Buy the upgrade: "naval ram", it will be easier if you destroy their mast and ram.

Last edited by Tuzky; 11-02-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Tuzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
MRCTECH4

MRCTECH4's Gamercard
cheers i'll give that a go.
MRCTECH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
Quid Squid

elKamikazeSquid's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
This person is a genius, worked for me first try (upgraded ram)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/3180716-post16.html
Quid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
VVh1pCr3am

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
I cannot beat this fucking mission with 100% sync. I tried destroying the masts and then ramming in the front, they die. I tried just tapping the RT to do a little damage to show the weak spot, they die. I just can't fucking do it.
VVh1pCr3am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
Quid Squid

elKamikazeSquid's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVh1pCr3am View Post
I cannot beat this fucking mission with 100% sync. I tried destroying the masts and then ramming in the front, they die. I tried just tapping the RT to do a little damage to show the weak spot, they die. I just can't fucking do it.
Read the link I posted, you destroy the mast then ram them but hit full stop right before hitting them head on. The man o war will need 2 hits.
Quid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
VVh1pCr3am

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quid Squid View Post
Read the link I posted, you destroy the mast then ram them but hit full stop right before hitting them head on. The man o war will need 2 hits.
I already tried that but I'll try again. I'm having more trouble with this than the 100% sync on the tank mission from Brotherhood.

Edit: Just got it doing that method. I just needed to calm myself down before completing it because I was pissed off from all the previous fail attempts.

Last edited by VVh1pCr3am; 11-04-2012 at 03:04 AM.
VVh1pCr3am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
Nutella

That tip doesn't work for me. I still one-ram-them... shit.
Nutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
D412k Kn16h7

D412k Kn16h7's Gamercard
I got it by using normal cannonballs. At first I was using fire rounds, but it did too much damage. So I just used 1-2 volleys of normal and it worked. Lucked based? Probably. It only took me 1 retry because of the fire rounds. Good luck to the rest of you!

100% (Without DLC / Glitched & Unattainable included):
Halo CEA/R/4,MW 1/2/3,Crysis 1/2/3,FC3,ME3,tWD,RE5,tD2,Jericho,TR:U,Deus Ex: HR,Dishonored,Term:S,C:LoS,Asura,Bayonetta,Eragon, Wolverine,PoP:TFS,Dante's Inferno,TFU 1/2,AC 1/2/Rev,Hunted,Dust,Cursed Crusade,Proto 2,LoTR Conq,Darksiders 1/2,Fable 2/3,TES 4/5,Eternal Sonata,FFXIII/-2/LR,Sonic Racing,MatFK,Portal 2,Lego SW:CW/Indy/LotR,Spyro DotD,King Kong

D412k Kn16h7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
Nutella

Got it!!!! Needed to immobilize the other ships first. Much easier
Nutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #11
SpinelesS

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I had fully upgraded my ships so 1 round of normal cannon was destroying them (as was ramming them)

The method I used was Switching to grapeshot.

I shot the first frigate twice with grapeshot and that exposed the weak spot.

The second I shot once with grapeshot, and then once with my swivel cannon, and that exposed the weak spot

EDIT: My mistake, the mission I did this on was the rescue, not the giant and the storm. The principle should be the same though.

Last edited by SpinelesS; 11-05-2012 at 02:35 AM.
SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Crimson Ridley

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Platinum   Staff Club - dakisbac   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:

Thank you for showing me this post! It took a few attempts at timing my stop perfectly, but it worked a treat!
Crimson Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Archer0T8

archer0t8's Gamercard
Fuck this mission. Fuck it hard.

I've been going at it for the last 2.5 hours. Can usually get two of the three to reveal their stores, but when I go for the last one... I tap it, blows up. I barely broadside it, blows up. I try just swivel shotting the front, it blows up.

Fuck you Ubi for making this more about luck it seems. I'm about ready to give up on getting the 100% achievement because of this mission. Even the tank mission wasn't this hard.

----

Just took me 3 hours to do... none of the tricks mentioned above worked, and having fully upgraded didn't help.

I ended up having to full speed ram the man-o-war to expose it's store, then trick the two frigates into ramming me before I could get all of the powder stores in one attempt.

Last edited by Archer0T8; 11-07-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Archer0T8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
DethHolly

Send a message via Yahoo to DethHolly

OHN0 iNightmare's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer0T8 View Post
Fuck this mission. Fuck it hard.

I've been going at it for the last 2.5 hours. Can usually get two of the three to reveal their stores, but when I go for the last one... I tap it, blows up. I barely broadside it, blows up. I try just swivel shotting the front, it blows up.

Fuck you Ubi for making this more about luck it seems. I'm about ready to give up on getting the 100% achievement because of this mission. Even the tank mission wasn't this hard.
I felt the same way yesterday... I tried ramming but it ALWAYS killed the two smaller ships...

What I did was cripple the two frigates first with the chain shot. Then I would pull around to the front of the ship and make a complete stop, then I just used the regular rounds on them. The hole was always exposed after the second or third shot.

Also to make things easier after crippling the frigates go ahead a cripple the large ship too. (Should only take two direct hits with the chain shot.) That way you can take your sweet arse time dealing with the youngins.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Archer0T8

archer0t8's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethHolly View Post
I felt the same way yesterday... I tried ramming but it ALWAYS killed the two smaller ships...

What I did was cripple the two frigates first with the chain shot. Then I would pull around to the front of the ship and make a complete stop, then I just used the regular rounds on them. The hole was always exposed after the second or third shot.

Also to make things easier after crippling the frigates go ahead a cripple the large ship too. (Should only take two direct hits with the chain shot.) That way you can take your sweet arse time dealing with the youngins.
Finally got it - had to full ram the man-o-war, then trick the frigates into ramming me. That got the powder stores to appear 100% of the time.

Archer0T8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #16
FirearmsKill

FirearmsKill's Gamercard
This was a pain but was so hilarious when i finally did it. I got the two smaller ships to ram each other head on, exposing their weak points and took them out and then rammed the man o' war and hit its weak spot. All of this with just a drop of health. I felt good about myself after that.
FirearmsKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #17
rogue09x

rogue09x's Gamercard
I lucked out in a similar way. One frigate accidentally fired on the other, then they bumped into each other, exposing the weak spots. Just had to mop up the Man-o-war. Only took a dozen or so replays.
rogue09x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #18
VyperJMc

Send a message via AIM to VyperJMc

VyperJMc's Gamercard
This video helped me alot. Disabled all 3 ships' masts with chain shot, then took my time circling them & firing normal rounds into their noses until the powder stores were exposed.

VyperJMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
GalaxyRed13

Send a message via AIM to GalaxyRed13 Send a message via Yahoo to GalaxyRed13

MarkMagmonic's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
My god, this mission is a piece of crap to 100% on. I went through every single strategy, and every single one of them, I always destroy one of the ships before I can blow up their powder stores. I also tried a strategy where you ram the strangest one (the one in the middle) to show its powder store, then go after the others (either by ramming, broadsiding their bows, or chainshotting then broadsiding), and 9 times out of 10, the game doesn't have my ship sail fast enough to do damage to it. I must have tried this mission about three dozen times by now.
GalaxyRed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
v Adamm x

v Adamm x's Gamercard
I'm about to give up. I have done this mission 50+ times.
v Adamm x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Morbious17

Send a message via MSN to Morbious17

Morbious17's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...ghlight=powder
Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
v Adamm x

v Adamm x's Gamercard
This is the most ridiculous objective they could have possibly put on the game. You have to have so much luck to pull off all three in one go. I've managed two 3 or 4 times but just can't seem to get that third. It's a joke
v Adamm x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #23
E vee dub

Send a message via AIM to E vee dub

E vee dub's Gamercard
The giant and the storm

I tried my own ways, swallowed my pride, and this is the best approach, as already suggested.
So I confirm it:

1. Use chain-shots to stop the ships.
2. Ram the bow (front) of the ships gently (meaning hit the brakes just before ramming), until the powder reserve is exposed.
3. Quickly us snipe-cannons (LT) to take it out.

NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY
RALEIGH, N.C.
"CLASS OF 2005"
"THE WOLFPACK"
E vee dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #24
ColdCokeCan

ColdCokeCan's Gamercard
FUCK THIS i done everything else in the game and think i have one nice easy mission to complete and it turns out to be a complete load of shite
ColdCokeCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
kinjoking
Banned User

kinjothetaken's Gamercard
im afraid to even attempt this now. erm ubi.. why does an assassins creed game have naval missions? i thought ac was about stealth and assassinating? whats the point in making a minigame thats lame and not fun. the definition of a game is an 'activity that is fun to do'. i have yet to find 1 thing that is remotely fun about the WHOLE game.
and to think that i chose this over halo4 and dishonered. im such a douche.
kinjoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #26
Shabba
Banned User

Ram the frigates head on on near there front. Make sure not to have the upgraded ram then single shot them with the hand cannon on their weakpoint. Be careful not to ram the side unless your near the tip and never ram twice. The Man of War is the same or use a volley of upgraded grapeshot on their front to reveal the weakpoint.

It took me awhile to figure it out, sometimes you get lucky and not need to do anything but shoot with the hand cannon.

Upgrade your Aquila, without the better ram and iron hull is also not needed.
Shabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #27
Sparda

Send a message via AIM to Sparda Send a message via MSN to Sparda

DemonLordSparda's Gamercard
Ok this helped in another thread so I will repost it here to try and help people, it seemed to work for a lot of people so I hope I've struck thunder here.

Alright I'll go over how I did it since I don't trust people's advice on the internet as law. Once I got used to my method I could reveal weak points about 95% of the time reliably. What I did was start with the chain shot to make them stop, which is important. Then after all 3 are dead in the water I sailed in front of them, but a little to the right or left so I could still see their sides.I used HEAT ROUNDS and aimed the volley square at the front of their ship, but the side of the front. Either side of the ship doesn't matter just aim most of your firing line at the front end-side of the ship. Now I know people use round shot, but apparently you have to be very accurate and sometimes more than once. With heat shot you just let that baby fly and in one quick shot the weak point is exposed.

I won't lie to you, getting your firing position lined up can be rough, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. OH I almost forgot, since the sea is so wavey for the love of god make sure you are almost level with the ship when you fire. If you are too high it may hit their deck instead of the front-side portion. If you slam their deck with the heat shot volley then you pretty much have to retry. So line up your shot, take your time, and be as level as you can get. Once I figured out all 3 of these steps I got it my first go, and it helped me immensely for the full synch on Sequence 11 memory 1. I wish you the best of luck because this is a tough one.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
Shabba
Banned User

Lol..... At all of the above fullstop.

Firing on any Frigate with an extra cannon sinks it with every shot but chainshot and with the storm and waves are rolling, a chainshot is not always accruate. This mission is also on a timer.

I will repeat the easiest tactic with Frigates is simply ramming them with a ram. Ramming them at the front tip or from a side towards their front tip, and in the same ram you can fire the hand cannon and sink in seconds. Do not ram twice. The MAN OF WAR fire an upgrade grapeshot at it's front tip or ram using the same method then fire the hand cannon. You can do this and still have over half the mission completion time left..... Try to not have the upgraded ram at this point as Frigates are whimps...

Last edited by Shabba; 11-12-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #29
Sparda

Send a message via AIM to Sparda Send a message via MSN to Sparda

DemonLordSparda's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba View Post
Lol..... At all of the above fullstop.

Firing on any frigate with an extra cannon sinks it with every shot but chain and with the storm and waves are rolling a chainshot isn't always accruate. This mission is also on a timer.

I will repeat the easiest tactic is simply ramming them with a ram. Ramming them at the front tip or from a side at towards their front, and in the same ram you can fire the hand cannon and sink in seconds. Do not ram twice. The MAN OF WAR fire an upgrade grapeshot at it's front tip or ram using the same method then fire the hand cannon. You can do this and still have over half the mission completion time left..... Try to not have the upgraded ram at this point as frigates are whimps...
How about you actually try it first. Also you lying or just wrong because this mission is not on a timer by any stretch of the imagination. I wrote this for this thread http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=397530 and it worked for people there.

I find it upsetting that on a site that is designed to help people with advice on acquiring achievements that you would dismiss a tactic so out of hand. Besides this tip was written for people who have fully upgraded ships, since most people have the ram anyway. The ram tactic is so unpredictable that it is ludicrous.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #30
Shabba
Banned User

Are you mad? You start with them sailing towards your position and you towards them. Is it so hard to line up your boat with the improved rudder and with a full sail to ram them and in that same ram fire the hand cannon?

Your tactic is total chance if you fire a chain shot and the cannons hit with the storm and waves, then if the boat stops you can blow it up. You would do this in seconds with the ram try it.

Apologises I was thinking of another similiar sync with blowing up frigates via the powder keg on a timer. The ram tactic works to well......

Last edited by Shabba; 11-12-2012 at 11:13 PM.