PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Grand Theft Auto V
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
daardu

Daardu's Gamercard
Why don't they use actual car manufacturer names?

Sorry if it's already been explained but I don't understand. Correct me if I'm wrong but GTA and Midnight Club are both published by Rockstar games, yet Midnight Club manages to name their vehicles genuinely. I have thought that maybe it has to do with the developers because GTA is Developed by Rockstar North and Midnight Club by Rockstar San Diego/London. This is just a little matter I can't seem to comprehend.
daardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
tripleb2k

BobZombie3k's Gamercard

Awards Showcase GRID 2 Award   Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
They've always used fake names because getting the license to use the real manufacturers was very expensive and uncommon when GTA1 game out.
I'm positive they can afford it now but they may keep the fake names for nostalgia.

tripleb2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Axel Desade

CherryAvalanche's Gamercard
I'd imagine it's a bit nostalgia, and also so that the money can be used elsewhere for improvements that are actually important.

Axel Desade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
InsaneKane87

InSAn3 KAn3's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb2k View Post
They've always used fake names because getting the license to use the real manufacturers was very expensive and uncommon when GTA1 game out.
I'm positive they can afford it now but they may keep the fake names for nostalgia.
This and plus it's just more fun when they come up with a name for a car. If it saves money for them and doesn't affect the game or ruin gameplay then it's understandable.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Barad

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Doing a raid
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
I don't think car manufacturers like to see their cars being blown up in videos games.
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Then I wouldn't be driving around in my Infernus or (Diablo) Stallion anymore I know I occasionally call the real life cars by their GTA names, so maybe it's the companies that need to change the names.

(^Literally the coolest part of SWTOR)
Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Iceskater101

iceskater101's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
That sucks that they can't have actual car brands, because that would be so cool if they had the aston martin haha.

credits to DEG23
Iceskater101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Axel Desade

CherryAvalanche's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceskater101 View Post
That sucks that they can't have actual car brands, because that would be so cool if they had the aston martin haha.
imo the name isn't important, only the car design is, like how that new car that is essentially the Audi R8 is going to be the Audi R8 to me no matter what.

Axel Desade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
KuShNsTieN
Banned User

KuShNsTieN's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Desade View Post
imo the name isn't important, only the car design is, like how that new car that is essentially the Audi R8 is going to be the Audi R8 to me no matter what.
Exactly, If you know what the car looks like.. you shouldnt really have a problem if the name is different. I think its fun looking at cars and guessing what the car is suppose to be in real life
KuShNsTieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
THE DEADLY DOG
Maximum Clubs Guide Dog

Send a message via AIM to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via MSN to THE DEADLY DOG Send a message via Skype™ to THE DEADLY DOG

THE DEADLY DOG's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Submit - Diamond   Community Gaming - Bronze   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Micro Guide - Gold   Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - * Clueless *
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
I personally like the names they come up with for them. Generally good for a laugh or too.

You have to get on the train in the beginning when things are still changing and everything is rough, unpolished, and incomplete in order to enjoy the bliss found at your stop.
THE DEADLY DOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
OceanH

Ocean H's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daardu View Post
Sorry if it's already been explained but I don't understand. Correct me if I'm wrong but GTA and Midnight Club are both published by Rockstar games, yet Midnight Club manages to name their vehicles genuinely. I have thought that maybe it has to do with the developers because GTA is Developed by Rockstar North and Midnight Club by Rockstar San Diego/London. This is just a little matter I can't seem to comprehend.
Do you have any idea how much it would cost to pay all the licensing rights to all these car names? EA (Need for Speed) and Microsoft (Forza) can but Take2 doesn't have that kind of money. It's either get all licensing or none of them.

Plus, there's more originality and irony/sarcasm (which GTA is mostly about) with coming up with "fake" names.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
bearmod

bearmod's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb2k View Post
I doubt they could afford it. They would need to license so many different names that they'd piss away half their budget on licensing fees.

How many car companies or any retail manufacturer for that matter would want to be associated with GTA. I'm not trying to put he game down or anything, I love the franchise but I really doubt that they would even be able to get licensing for most of the companies just because they don't want their image used in a game like GTA.

bearmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Selections
Trance connoisseur.

Selections XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Donator - Level 5   Subscriber - Silver   x360a Representer   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanH View Post
Plus, there's more originality and irony/sarcasm (which GTA is mostly about) with coming up with "fake" names.
This.

Part of the GTA franchise was taking the piss out of as many companies as possible without getting in any sort of legal shit.
Personally, I think those who started at 4 or San Andreas are missing the point. GTA is sticking with a sort of consistency that shows through what the GTA image is all about.
Selections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
tunaleg

Tunaleg's Gamercard
Because fictional cars are better
tunaleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Because.. we have the Faggio!

Woops sorry!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
Fatboy Says I

Fatboy McCool's Gamercard
I don't think car companies would want it licensed in this franchise because of the notoriety involved like "promoting" vehicular manslaughter to now drinking & driving
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Says I View Post
I don't think car companies would want it licensed in this franchise because of the notoriety involved like "promoting" vehicular manslaughter to now drinking & driving
I saw this thread in recent posts and I was coming to post what you just said.

The likes of Mazda, BMW, Nissan, Toyota and any other car manufacturer already deal with bullshit in the real world. By associating themselves with Grand Theft Auto, it draws a bigger, negative picture of the company.

Imagine is a 22 year old Toyota driver was speeding and he/she ended up killing herself in a car wreck, then the media put out a story that he/she had a Toyota parked in her garage in the game? I know, it sounds stupid, but car companies do not want nor do they need that type of publicity.

iBuzz7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Aiden 514

Aiden 514's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
Because.. we have the Faggio!

Woops sorry!

The Faggio is by far the best vehicle in the game.

If you send a friend request, please send a message saying you're from here
Aiden 514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
FeatherbottomMR

money money money
FeatherbottomMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

I definitely don't want cars named after their real-life counterparts, but I would like to see more variety of cars taking after modern vehicles. I always enjoy seeing familiar vehicles like the Ford Focus and Chevy Camaro in games.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
Xmoda
Banned User

x Xmoda x's Gamercard
save some money to not license plus they can put whatever names they want
Xmoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #22
InsaneKane87

InSAn3 KAn3's Gamercard

You know what I missed in GTA IV that wasn't in previous games, was that each license plate had it's own number too. Every single one in GTA IV just said Liberty City, it felt so boring. I always enjoyed trying to make them out in previous GTA games. I was happy to see that small feature return in GTA V. Too bad they don't take it one step further and add comedy to them like how some plates have comedy to them.

Like my neighbors plate said HUGABUG. That would be comedy gold if R* did that with the car plates. You get in a car and drive off only to crack up laughing at the plate you just saw.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneKane87 View Post
You know what I missed in GTA IV that wasn't in previous games, was that each license plate had it's own number too. Every single one in GTA IV just said Liberty City, it felt so boring. I always enjoyed trying to make them out in previous GTA games. I was happy to see that small feature return in GTA V. Too bad they don't take it one step further and add comedy to them like how some plates have comedy to them.

Like my neighbors plate said HUGABUG. That would be comedy gold if R* did that with the car plates. You get in a car and drive off only to crack up laughing at the plate you just saw.

You never know, Rockstar and their attention to the tiniest details they may just add custom plates to say..the more prominent characters personal cars that may or may not just be seen in cutscenes. I can only imagine.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #24
danielhauck007

danielhauck007's Gamercard
as Fatboy puts it, it's probably not great for business to have your car (perhaps a nice family car) in a game where it will be stolen, blown up, used in drug deals and prostitution, and be weapon of sorts.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #25
Annalie

Send a message via MSN to Annalie Send a message via Yahoo to Annalie

Sarena89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - AOS Puck   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
It wouldn't be as funny if they used real names for things. thank god they didn't...
Old 04-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #26
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmod View Post
I doubt they could afford it. They would need to license so many different names that they'd piss away half their budget on licensing fees.

How many car companies or any retail manufacturer for that matter would want to be associated with GTA. I'm not trying to put he game down or anything, I love the franchise but I really doubt that they would even be able to get licensing for most of the companies just because they don't want their image used in a game like GTA.
Good point,and it wouldnt be cheap. That would cost so much $. ALso the names are always funny.

Thanks goes to Captain Slaughter for the signature.
Deadsea 18 is offline   Reply With Quote