PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Game of Thrones
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
ThaMyth

Send a message via ICQ to ThaMyth Send a message via AIM to ThaMyth Send a message via MSN to ThaMyth Send a message via Yahoo to ThaMyth Send a message via Skype™ to ThaMyth

DeDnCiDe's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Exclamation IGN drops a 4 on it like a beheading.

hmmmm anyone surprised here? im still picking it up today even with max payne 3 and will let you guys know after i sink some time into it.

IGN Rating:4 (reviewed by joffrey)
ThaMyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Not surprised. I spent 30 minutes playing and I forced myself to play for that amount because I was recording the gameplay. If I wasn't recording, I would not of played for that long.

The game is boring and anyone who endures that crap, kudos to them.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Doesn't even look that bad. The video review made it look qutie good.
It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you?

Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Eggnogga

Eggnogga's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
While I don't hold IGN in the highest regard and surely 1 measly review isn't gonna put me off.... a 4... is definitely a big fat red flag. At this point, I'm glad I didn't preorder, but I still wanna see some other reviews and watch a lil gameplay before I decide to make the purchase or not.
Eggnogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
wariowarrior

wariowarrior's Gamercard
I cancelled my guide today as a few other reviews gave it a similar score. I would of giving it a try if it was getting 6's and 7's but sadly it as met everyone's low expectations and turned out to be crap.
wariowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
osakamitsu

osakamitsu's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I just really wanted the art book. I'll finish the game too though.
osakamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
TheThreeStooges

the ign reviewer sounded annoyed and like he didnt like game of thrones period so i wouldnt take his word for it, I pre ordered it and i'll enjoy it either way good or bad
TheThreeStooges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Pyrochaos

AOS Pyrochaos's Gamercard

I don't trust reviewers. They shit all over games for small things, and praise mainstream games for doing the same thing over and over again. Most reviewers hated one of my favorite RPGS:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...critic-reviews

Pyrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
TheThreeStooges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
I don't trust reviewers. They shit all over games for small things, and praise mainstream games for doing the same thing over and over again. Most reviewers hated one of my favorite RPGS:

Exactly!! like I said im picking this up either way, Nothing can be as bad as Resident evil operation racoon city
TheThreeStooges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
dAFKave813

dAFKave813's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post

Well put. A review is just an opinion, you might agree with that person doing the review and you might not. Anybody not sure should definitely wait for more sources to draw their own opinion from. I am sure there are others like me who are big fans of the lp and were going to buy this wether it was good or bad. Obviously though the game will not be for everybody.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
osakamitsu

osakamitsu's Gamercard

Graphics are meh, voice acting is barley passable, and the fighting is terrible. I wish this was a hack in slash. Would have been so much more fun.
osakamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
xKRAIZEEMANx

xKRAIZEEMANx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I am still going to play this.....Though, maybe start it on a secondary account to test the waters.

xKRAIZEEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
EnteringtheCosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by osakamitsu View Post
Graphics are meh, voice acting is barley passable, and the fighting is terrible. I wish this was a hack in slash. Would have been so much more fun.
^This. I almost muted the sound because it is so laughable.
EnteringtheCosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
HLR zdmetal

Send a message via MSN to HLR zdmetal

AG zdmetal's Gamercard
It's not 4/10 bad, but it also isn't 8/10 great. I'd probably score it around a 6. The story is actually really interesting so far and the combat is pretty refreshing while also feeling somewhat similar to DA:O.

The graphics are pretty horrendous though, so if you are a graphics whore stay far, far away from this.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Picked it up today but have yet to play it. Anyways, I tend to avoid IGN reviews so I could care less what they rate a game.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #16
ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon's Gamercard
The game is actually quite good, but very old school in design. Idiot IGN reviewer is some kid who has never played a 90s PC RPG as that sort of what the design feels like. But I really like it. At least 7/10 from me. Maybe more if it gets better, I'm only on chapter 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnteringtheCosmos View Post
^This. I almost muted the sound because it is so laughable.
You guys have no idea what bad voice acting is. The voice acting is absolutely FINE. Have you ever watched the show? Everyone has a weird ass accent, just like here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLR zdmetal View Post
The graphics are pretty horrendous though, so if you are a graphics whore stay far, far away from this.
I don't understand why everyone is saying the graphics are bad, they really are not. Bad compared to Mass Effect, maybe, but not bad. There are far worse looking games on the 360.

Last edited by Hayden; 05-16-2012 at 02:52 PM.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
EnteringtheCosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
You guys have no idea what bad voice acting is. The voice acting is absolutely FINE. Have you ever watched the show? Everyone has a weird ass accent, just like here.
Ermm....what!? I never mentioned the accents.
I was talking about the voice acting, they sound robotic in how they deliver their lines.
P.s the accents are not weird as you put it, it is how people here in the UK talk. We have well over 30 different accents, we don't all sound like Hugh Grant you know
EnteringtheCosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Benzema

Bonorly's Gamercard
Gotta admit, this has been a bit of a blow to me. But I love the books and show, so I'll pick it up anyway.

Can't trust reviewers when it comes to RPGs in my opinion, I mean Too Human, Divinity 2 were fantastic but they scored much lower than they should have.
Benzema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Pyrochaos

AOS Pyrochaos's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzema View Post
Gotta admit, this has been a bit of a blow to me. But I love the books and show, so I'll pick it up anyway.

Can't trust reviewers when it comes to RPGs in my opinion, I mean Too Human, Divinity 2 were fantastic but they scored much lower than they should have.
I have a soft spot for European RPGs like Two Worlds, Risen, Divinity 2, Gothic, Venetica, Sacred 2, ect.

I don't even mind bad voice acting in some RPGs, as long as they get the story across. I won't get my copy till tomorrow (I snagged it on Amazon when they miss listed it at $45, but it never updated to release day delivery).

Pyrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #20
Dragonmaster700

Dragonmaster700's Gamercard
Does anyone actually take IGN reviews seriously anymore? I mean they give every Rockstar game or CoD game great reviews no matter what, and nit pick the shit out of everything else. Oh except Uncharted and God of War, those series get freebies too. I rented this and Max Payne 3 yesterday, and personally Im having more fun with GoT than with MP3. The cinematic effects in MP are more annoying than cool, and the story isnt as good as the first 2. If your a fan of the books or show, this game is atleast worth a rent.
Dragonmaster700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #21
TheHarbinger

Yogg416's Gamercard
Disagree with IGN for sure. This game is much better than a 4/10. Then again IGN are known as jokes in the gaming community anyways, their opinions are below worthless.

TheHarbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #22
Spoony Bard

spoonybard1984's Gamercard
30 seconds into the IGN video review and he's already got 2 things wrong; both the GoT and Walking Dead games are based on the original source material which are books. Might not be a big deal if it weren't for the fact that he criticizes the game for not looking like the show.

All of the complaints listed can be found in most of today's "AAA" games; poor voice acting plagues the Elder Scrolls series as well as many others. Repetative NPCs in crowd scenes abound in the Assassins Creed series. Final Fantasy 13 took a few dozen hours to become interesting. The point is that these are games from studios with huge budgets, Game of Thrones is from Cyanide, whose biggest success to date is the Pro Cycling Manager series of simulation bike races.

If you pay attention to the review, he praises the combat system as well as the story/character development and the games choice/morality system. That sounds like a pretty sweet hat trick to me, and the graphics actually looked pretty good so I'll definitely be picking up a copy come payday.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
IGN always has absolutely stupid reviews on games. Rating companies like that dont even play all the way through the game usually so the review is useless.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #24
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
:@ I'm just mad I have to wait until June to play it while all you Americans get to play it now.
It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you?

Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #25
WartyHogger

WartyHogger's Gamercard
I've played through Bulletwitch 5 times for 1000 points, I don't think any review calling a game bad can scare me. It's just not something I'll be paying full price for, I'm starting to just buy new games that I want to try at 30 dollars to save a bit of money. This is one of those. Should drop in no time if there's no buyers. (I hope).
Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
three15

Wow this game is bad and i've loved some slated games. Bad voice acting, very very slow combat and no freedom. Such a shame because the Thrones world was made for a skyrim type RPG. Can't believe i've just spent 30 on this, i wouldn't even give it a 4.
three15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #27
ThePumpkinKing

The Winter King's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   x360a Book Club
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by three15 View Post
Wow this game is bad and i've loved some slated games. Bad voice acting, very very slow combat and no freedom. Such a shame because the Thrones world was made for a skyrim type RPG. Can't believe i've just spent 30 on this, i wouldn't even give it a 4.
Just had to pull this post out from the dead for anyone considering the purchase, now that it's on sale for ten bucks.

It's a terrible, dated game. In every aspect. Combat, Visuals, Sound, Overall Design. Everything about this game screams 2005. And given that the game was in development for three years, that's just completely unacceptable.

Not a bad story. But drudging from one interesting plot point to the next is almost unbearable, given how slow and repetitive the gameplay is. I'd say the review score was spot on here.

Ugh... For ten bucks, it's passable. But only just. And it really has me hoping that this developer is never allowed to touch this franchise again.
Resident Evil 5
ThePumpkinKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #28
Schreckofant

Schreckofant's Gamercard
Um, I'm almost through the game now and I'm actually enyoing my time with this game. I've basically played every RPG there is on every console (except the Wii) over the course of the last years and this is one of the best in terms of writing and dialogue. The Witcher and Mass Effect are the only RPGs on the xbox that come close to it or might actually be better. The rest, including Skyrim and the likes, are far worse in that matter.

The rest of the game isn't even bad or boring for me, the gameplay sequences are so short that they don't bother me.

I have no idea how anyone who enjoys playing RPGs cannot like the approach of this game. I've tortured myself through so many atrocious jRPGs and also western RPGs, this is nothing compared to them. There was a time (pre 2005 ~) when good writing was the essence of a good RPG and this game has decent enough writing, so I don't give a shit about the rest. But there are people out there who think Oblivion had a good story line, so ...

Just think of it as a playable novel, ignore the laughable animations, set the difficulty to squire and don't give a shit about the fighting system and don't even try to look for, non existant, secrets off the main path - basically just follow the arrow at any time - and this game is very well solid for some entertaining hours if you like the universe.

Last edited by Schreckofant; 07-18-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Schreckofant is offline   Reply With Quote