Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Borderlands 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Roomba Goomba

Roomba Goomba's Gamercard
Legendary Drop Rate Testing

I happened to be looking around to see what people have been experiencing while farming legendary drops, and came across this thread on GameFAQs.com...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/63878...nds-2/64282365

It's interesting enough and makes just the right amount of sense (to me, anyhow... but then again I'm an engineer and look for patterns where they might not actually exist ) that a boss's legendary drop rate is somehow related to the challenge that is associated with them...

Seems like they did a fair amount of testing on the theory, but I'm still a bit skeptical. Guess I'll find out soon enough!

Credit goes to "RampantAI" and GameFAQs.com... I just wanted to see what the xbox360a community thought!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I don't think I'd know a "legendary drop" if it bit me on the butt. I don't thnk any of my friends have had any or if they have, they haven't mentioned it.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Milk Viper

MILK VIPER's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain View Post
I don't think I'd know a "legendary drop" if it bit me on the butt. I don't thnk any of my friends have had any or if they have, they haven't mentioned it.
Legendary drops are items with yellow wording for names and stats, example The Bee, Conference Call, Baby Maker are all legendary items.
Milk Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Oh! I've seen pictures of them but didn't pay much attention...obviously. I guess I need to get on Wiki Borderlands and look.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
The Carrot Cake Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomba Goomba View Post
It's interesting enough and makes just the right amount of sense (to me, anyhow... but then again I'm an engineer and look for patterns where they might not actually exist
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHH
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHH
(Waving Nixon hands)
The Carrot Cake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
SimonJK

NeoVampyre's Gamercard
Definately going to try the The Warrior again. I always to for the crital and the one time I got the Challenge - the warrior's way I actually got an orange rocket launcher.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Roomba Goomba

I had been farming Hunter Hellquist a bunch before I found that thread on GameFAQs and he never dropped a Bee. Started turning off his radio before killing him and it dropped within 30-45 minutes. Definitely not a large enough sample set to say it made a difference... but I did laugh when it dropped. Too bad it was a level 48 Bee and I haven't seen another since.

I also spent some time farming the Warrior this weekend, but never saw any oranges despite not hitting his heart.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
The Subtle Arts

The Subtle Arts's Gamercard
As much as I wished this was the case for getting better drop rates it's just as inconsistent as it would be without doing challenge specific criteria.

Also, it's good folk are trying stuff like that but the percentages they are coming up with make absolutely no sense.

“Your friends are close, but your enemy is closer.”
- The Road to Suicide, pg 1, line 2

The Subtle Arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Roomba Goomba

Another thing that seemed inconsistent to me was the fact that there are enemies who drop legendary items, but have no challenges associated with them.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
uait

uait's Gamercard
Quote:

I also spent some time farming the Warrior this weekend, but never saw any oranges despite not hitting his heart.

There must be someting else: yesterday i farmed warrior (moonshot exploit).

I got 6 legendaries drops out of 10 tries (ok, 4 times was a jack head which sucks).
But also 1 impaler and 1 practicable CC.

So reading you farmed it for an afternoon without orange sounds so strange to me.
It's just not a matter of luck.
uait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Boiled Frogs

BoiIed Frogs's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I think there's definitely some strength in the argument that the drop rate is significantly higher the first time you kill a boss as part of a quest. I completed my TVHM playthrough last night, skipping all side quests so that they'd turn level 50. During my main storyline I first received a bonus package from Bewm and then a conference call from the warrior.

Boiled Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
uait

uait's Gamercard
Perhaps there's something i am missing but how can you farm the warrior if not as part of the quest?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Roomba Goomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by uait View Post
Perhaps there's something i am missing but how can you farm the warrior if not as part of the quest?
After completing the quest, you can go back to the Vault of the Warrior and just kill him repeatedly, grab lewtz then quit and save. You reload back to the vending machines inside the Vault, then just rinse and repeat.

There is definitely a huge boost for legendary drops when you kill him as part of the quest.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
uait

uait's Gamercard
Quote:
After completing the quest, you can go back to the Vault of the Warrior and just kill him repeatedly, grab lewtz then quit and save. You reload back to the vending machines inside the Vault, then just rinse and repeat.

There is definitely a huge boost for legendary drops when you kill him as part of the quest.

I have tried this but if i kill the warrior and save/quit, when i reload game the warrior is still dead!
(I know there is still something i am missing)

Anyway i am farming with moonshot exploit which is surely the fastest way as you don't have to kill it again, just push the moon button and loot.
If you have a mule you can loot forever.
I use my second account.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Roomba Goomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by uait View Post
I have tried this but if i kill the warrior and save/quit, when i reload game the warrior is still dead!
(I know there is still something i am missing)

Anyway i am farming with moonshot exploit which is surely the fastest way as you don't have to kill it again, just push the moon button and loot.
If you have a mule you can loot forever.
I use my second account.
I'm looking forward to trying that when my silver account character gets through PT2. I might even dance while I'm looting that stingy bastard.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
B Rock3232

B Rock3232's Gamercard
I can confirm that turning off Hunter Hellquist's radio before killing him does drop a Bee shield. I got one on my second try. It was on my first playthrough though so it is only a level 26 or something like that. But it does work.
B Rock3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
Roomba Goomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rock3232 View Post
I can confirm that turning off Hunter Hellquist's radio before killing him does drop a Bee shield. I got one on my second try. It was on my first playthrough though so it is only a level 26 or something like that. But it does work.
You could have also gotten lucky. I spent a few hours farming HH using both methods, and didn't really notice a huge difference in drop rates. Then again, it could just be my crap luck!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
The Carrot Cake Kid

Quote:
I can confirm this is the funniest thing I've read in quite some time.
The Carrot Cake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
You have forever lost your right to use the word "confirm" anywhere, ever again. Do it a hundred times in a row with the same outcome, then come back for word definitions.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
incinerator950
Banned User

incinerator950's Gamercard
I do believe you have a higher chance of getting equipment through quest kills. Notably Moonshot kills over the Warrior drop.

However, I've already found everything I want to use/experiment on my main, and I wouldn't be able to help test this on my other characters simply out of lack of interest. Sorry for not being much help.
incinerator950 is offline   Reply With Quote