PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Sega Vintage Collection: ToeJam and Earl
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Zim

Achievement Tips

Hey guys.

I was going to write a proper guide format for Toejam and Earl however unfortunately I don't quite have the free time and the forum is so quiet I don't know how useful it would be.

So instead I thought I would just create a thread for some tips/discussions.

Wh-wh-what Time Is It!? - Woke up from a nap.
This can easily be the first achievement you get. To nap you can either use the school book present or much easier just stand still for a while. If you do this on the first level then there are no enemies and you can nap safely. To wake up simply tap x.

The Mailbox Ate My Mail - Defeated a Demon Mailbox.
The demon mailboxes look identical to normal mailboxes but occasionally eyes will appear and if you get too close they will attack. Take them out with a slingshot at distance or more dangerously with tomatoes. They take a fair amount of hits to take down but can be killed even when in their hiding mode. They won't start appearing until a few levels into the game.

It's All About The Kicks - Dashed with the Super Hitops.
Simply use the super hitops presents. You will get some at the start of the game.

We're Unstoppable - Flew across water using the Rocket Skates.
Best to do this on level 1. At the top right of the map is an island with 5 presents on it. And at the bottom left is the drop to level 0. Simply use rocketskates to go across the water to one of these islands. Best to have either 2 rocketskates, icarus wings or innertube so you can make the return journey.

Lovin' This Earth Lifestyle - Jumped in the bath on Floor 0.
As I said this is located at the bottom left of the floor 1 map. To get there you need either an innertube, icarus wings or rocket skates.

Fallen Angel - Defeated a Cupid.
To defeat a cupid you need to go over them. This can be easily done by using a charged jump with spring shoes. Or also achieved by using togetherness and falling on them. Rarely it can also happen when you drop a floor. Spring shoes are the best option though. EDIT: You can also use icarus wings to fly over them, or run into the edge of land with hitops and jump over them.

Even Adults Like Presents - Snagged some goodies from Santa.
Santa will randomly appear on floors. When you see him I suggest saving your game. Now he will alternate between looking around in his sack and then looking up to the left and right. To get presents from him you need to tiptoe (hold x) up to him. It is basically a game of hot and cold. When he looks in the sack tiptoe. When he looks up stop moving completely. When you reach him he will be startled and drop 3 presents.

The Long Road To Funkiness - Obtain a rank of FUNK LORD.
Funk Lord is the final rank in the game. Ranks give you extra health and lives. You will gain ranks by getting points. Every square on the map gives you one point, every present used gives you 2 points and enemies will also give 2 points when defeated. So to reach Funk lord it is best to fully explore the easier levels with little enemies (floor 1-5). Use as many presents as you can. Even if they are a little bad. E.g. Find a safe place and use the schoolbook as you will get 2 points. EDIT: 880 points is needed for FUNK LORD. This is easily achievable (I obtained it at level 14). Also should add there are presents that give you a promotion. They will simply take you to the points needed for the next rank. So try and save them for when you have just ranked up so they give you an entire rank. If you are at 175 points and use one it will simply take you to 180 points. Whereas if you were at 101 points it would still take you all the way to 180.

This Earth Food Isn't Half Bad! - Eat all of Earth's delicacies.
Food either regains or takes away your health. As of yet I'm not 100% sure of what is needed for this achievement (only good? Good+presents? Good+presents+bad?) So I will list all food items.

Presents - Food, Rootbeer, Fudge Sundae
Good - Candy Cane, Cereal, Bacon n eggs, Watermelon, pancakes, Cherry Pie, Fries, Pizza, Fudge Cake, Fudge Sundae, Hamburger
Bad - Fish Bones, Rotten Cabbage, Fungus, Moldy Bread, Old Cheese

EDIT: The last thing I ate that got me the achievement was bacon n eggs. However I had already eaten all the bad things so am unsure if they are needed.

Smell Ya Later, Earth! / Word Up! Back To Outer Space! - Clear the Fixed World. / Clear a Random World.
At the start of the game you will have to choose either the fixed world or a random one. There are maps of the fixed worlds on the internet so this is the easiest one. To finish the game you must find all the ship pieces.
Honestly this is just a case of playing the game. However if you are having trouble then the XBLA version has a HUGE advantage. You can save and load the game as much as you want. So if you are having difficulties I would suggest saving the game, trying out your presents and seeing what they are, then reload the game and carry on knowing what presents you have. This will mean you can avoid using total bummers, rainclouds, randomizers etc.

Will add some specifics to my tips later such as the point total needed for funklord etc. It's a pretty straight forward game so imagine there won't be many questions but if there are I will be happy to help.

Last edited by Zim; 11-11-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
kinjoking
Banned User

kinjothetaken's Gamercard
awesome tips man, that answered a lot of qs about the game.
what level do you get the slingshot as i never had one to defeat a mailbox and the tomatoes wernt doing anything, i was upto level 7 n still no slingshot.
i think what would help if someone could post a list of weapons/hazards and what effect they have on you and your enemies, as im stumped at how to defeat some enemies. especially gerbals and mad scientist guys. im sure there wil be more enemies that i cant defeat past level 7??
kinjoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Kahn13

TwistOfFate619's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinjoking View Post
what level do you get the slingshot as i never had one to defeat a mailbox and the tomatoes wernt doing anything, i was upto level 7 n still no slingshot.
i think what would help if someone could post a list of weapons/hazards and what effect they have on you and your enemies, as im stumped at how to defeat some enemies. especially gerbals and mad scientist guys. im sure there wil be more enemies that i cant defeat past level 7??
It's hard to say as no-one has really bothered to write a guide or compile a list for presents as despite them being in the same position at first (in Fixed World) - randomizer can screw everything up I think. FYI though since you have save states you could always grab a "?" present (there's one in Level 6) and keep re-loading til you get Slingshot. Mailbox monsters aren't too difficult to deal with. If possible use the edge of the map or even water to wait out their "rampage". You can apparently kill them in mailbox form and once they're finished their vicious attack they will remain immobile long enough to kill them (in my experience anyway).

As for most enemies in general - the best way to kill them is to use a combination of boombox and then tomatoes/slingshot (for the more difficult enemies at least). Though I find some careful evasion of most enemies and using the map itself is usually the best way to deal with most enemies (you don't have to nor do i recommend killing every enemy you way unless they're blocking progress - even then Super hi-tops can get you out of absolutely desperate jams too anyway.

Last edited by Kahn13; 11-13-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Kahn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinjoking View Post
Glad my tips helped!

The slingshot and tomatoes are the same. Just the distance they fire is different. The gerbils, mad scientists, mailboxes, ice cream vans, bees, hula girls, devils, mums with trolleys, lawn mower men, boogie men, moles etc can ALL be defeated with tomatoes or a slingshot. I think even sharks can be killed with them. The only thing tomatoes/slingshots won't work on is Cherubs as you can't hit them. Even then if I remember the tomato rain can kill a cherub if it happens to hit.

Tomatoes will kill a demon mailbox. It just takes quite a lot of them. Over 10 hits if I recall. Often you can actually get in a position where the mailbox simply won't attack though. Just stand as far away as possible, put some water between you, some space etc.

As far as I'm aware there isn't really a set level that you will get certain presents in the random worlds. It's just chance.

So yea the only way to hurt enemies yourself (except cherubs who need to be jumped over) is tomatoes. Doesn't matter whether it is tomato rain, throwing them or slingshotting them. Only other thing that can help you attack is the boombox which makes enemies dance in place. Making it easier to hit them with tomatoes. Or if you find a opera singer you can pay her $3 and she will kill all enemies on screen.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote