PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Mafia 2 > Jimmy's Vendetta
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
PhyscoticScot

PhyscoticScot's Gamercard
Things You Hate About JV DLC

I forgave the makers of Mafia 2 for there stupid wanted poster achievement. Who was it as i look at every one of those faces from those posters came up with the idea "Hey you know what would be cool if we dressed up like gangsters and did mug shots put them as wanted posters all around the city".

First of ask the question would you yourself want to go looking around for a bunch of random posters?

Would you find this an entertaining experience that adds to your overall enjoyment of the game?

And i think the answer would be no.

Im seriously thinking now it doesn't take that much brains to make a game. My belief that it takes talent to build realstic worlds and complex mechanics to govern them is all but with almost every game these days, falling apart.

And JV is just the latest example. So they went for the contrived cinematic storyline with bare minimal freeplay of course not realising that a 20 hour story is less enduring than a large amount free play. Oh wait of course they realised that they just decided to release it in small teasing waves of DLC to take more money out our pockets.

Ahh but they failed to think this through as they opened up more free play in the game. Example being the cops. Now while the cops worked well in the minimal freeplay but now in a larger free play game they just don't work with the new mission structures.

So as your trying to fire away at some gangsters bobby on the beat comes walking along instant shoot to kill and before long all his friends have come to join.

But wait maybe im doing something wrong perhaps the head on approach is not the way. Ok lets go round the back and flank them oh and another random cop/cop car driving past see's me/here's the gun fire.

What makes it worse is all the missions are timed. So your speeding about in your car to get away as quickly as possible before long your being chased for a speeding ticket or a hit and run.

Seriously WTF. Why oh why do game designers not think this really really simple stuff through. Different missions structures means there should be different AI.

Last edited by PhyscoticScot; 09-08-2010 at 12:19 AM.
PhyscoticScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Murgatroyd7

Murgatroyd7's Gamercard
So far, I haven't had anymore trouble with the cops than I did in the main game. My main complaint about JV is that it's just really boring compared to Vito's story. I'm not enjoying this aimless mission hunting at all. I'd like to know who the hell thought making it free-roam was a good idea. I do enjoy that I now get to play more of the game, but I'm really disappointed by the lack of structure.
Murgatroyd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
Cortex369
Banned User

Duppy x Mobster's Gamercard
time missions

wtf why do they need to put every mission timed
Cortex369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
Scottish Sin

Scottish Sin's Gamercard
I agree about the cops. They have been more of a pain this time around than they ever were because a lot of the action takes place outside within the city instead of in doors.

That and with the timed missions you're always rushing and there's so much police around that one of them will catch you speeding and that just adds to the frustration.

My biggest pet peeve is having to restart the entire mission when you get killed, especially if you're at the end of it and it happens to be the random police officer that saw you shooting in the first place. That's happened to me a few times.

I played through the game on hard and I'm having more trouble with this DLC than I ever had with the full game. I love the game but I'm really not feeling this DLC, especially since the story is non existant and that was Mafia II's strongest point.
Scottish Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
PhyscoticScot

On another note i think Jimmy looks like Frank Butcher.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
Murgatroyd7

Murgatroyd7's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Sin View Post
I love the game but I'm really not feeling this DLC, especially since the story is non existant and that was Mafia II's strongest point.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
Langeboy

Langeboy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Feels quite repetitive - a GTA feel, do this, do that, shoot this, steal that.

Langeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
KeepEmRolling

KeepEmRolling's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Pretty much agree with your complaints about the game. One thing I found really interesting regarding the cops, at least in an early mission, is that if you put an objective you need to destroy between u and the enemy, and the enemy destroys your objective, the cops leave u alone and shoot them dead.
KeepEmRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #9
Kramericus

I have to strongly agree about the cop complaint. If they were going to put many of the missions out in the open right where cops randomly patrol they should have at least given you the ability to preemptively bribe them
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #10
Painkiller Q8

Send a message via MSN to Painkiller Q8

Painkiller Q8's Gamercard
I will pass this lame DLC !!! f**k it

Best games ever made in the whole gaming history!
RED DEAD REDEMPTION
GRAND THEFT AUTO IV
Painkiller Q8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
SSJ3

Send a message via MSN to SSJ3

i7z JaMiiEx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
It's complete crap, the story isn't even a story. It's just text saying this guy did this.

Retail 100% Completed
Mafia II
| Kane & Lynch 2 | LOST | Halo Reach | WWE Legends | Dead Rising 2
Arcade 100% Completed
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
| New Rally X | Galaga | DIG DUG

SSJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Murgatroyd7

Murgatroyd7's Gamercard
Yeah, this is pretty much the worst DLC I've ever bought. People finally got the free-roam they were begging for and it's boring as hell. This is exactly why I don't play GTA.

Also...although I haven't had much trouble with the cops, I did get rather frustrated during one of those missions where you have to beat someone up without weapons. Every time I started the mission, they spawned the guy right next to a cop, who would always break up the fight. I had to wait for him to leave and by the time he was gone, the mission was halfway over.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
PhyscoticScot

This is great it seems there recycling achievement pictures. Faster Than Light is just a slightly different looking picture than the one for Hairdresser.

And Sharpshooter they just took the pictures from Chop Cop and stuck 100 on the guy that's getting his blown off shirt.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Warden1972

Warden1972's Gamercard
I agree that the DLC is a bit of a disappointment but I enjoy having another reason to drive around this painstakingly created city. JV feels barebones but I'm having a good enough time with it. I just wish you could earn points for picking locks.
Warden1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #15
friedmad

cribbet's Gamercard
personally i think 2K Czech did a pretty decent job or their first released title. i would have loved M2 more if they did the main story line as mission locations in free roam ala saints row or GTA. at least with JV they got that part right. i want a big fan of the chapter mechanism to advancethe game, and losing all of your money and clothing every 4th chapter or so. also, i had a preconceived notion about M2 that your character woulld somehow rise thru the mafia and become a capo or a boss, like in Godfather 2. it was really crappy that basically you end the game with nothing more than the leather jacket you started with, and the fact that youre still a street punk at the end.
friedmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #16
NightHawk X360A

NightHawk X360A's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedmad View Post
personally i think 2K Czech did a pretty decent job or their first released title. i would have loved M2 more if they did the main story line as mission locations in free roam ala saints row or GTA. at least with JV they got that part right. i want a big fan of the chapter mechanism to advancethe game, and losing all of your money and clothing every 4th chapter or so. also, i had a preconceived notion about M2 that your character woulld somehow rise thru the mafia and become a capo or a boss, like in Godfather 2. it was really crappy that basically you end the game with nothing more than the leather jacket you started with, and the fact that youre still a street punk at the end.
But that is the thing that makes this game different from all the others there is no roaming around doing odd missions, its straight to the point.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 AM   #17
friedmad

cribbet's Gamercard
it just felt like i was being forced to do the main storyline missions as soon as they became available. i didnt do any of the collections stuff until after i had completed the game. plus, theres so much of the city that the game never does anything with, like the empire state building. i would have loved a mission in it but its just a 2-D backdrop
Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 AM   #18
NightHawk X360A

well still they might have not took the story everywhere where you wanted to go but they still tried there best to make you feel like you are in New York. I think there details on this game is fantastic.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #19
Kramericus

As I get deeper into it Im very disappointed by the lack of story. They set it up so well in the opening cutscene, but then its like they tried to just do things on the cheap by not paying voice actors so they just sort of leave the story behind. Would it have been that hard to throw in some small introductory or post mission cutscenes to make it feel like there is a story going on?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #20
NightHawk X360A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramericus View Post
As I get deeper into it Im very disappointed by the lack of story. They set it up so well in the opening cutscene, but then its like they tried to just do things on the cheap by not paying voice actors so they just sort of leave the story behind. Would it have been that hard to throw in some small introductory or post mission cutscenes to make it feel like there is a story going on?
Well i really don't think they were shooting for more story, they just wanted to add a arcade mode in with leaderboards. They also tried to add a gta or saints row feel with the free roam i was a little disappointed in that.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #21
Kramericus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk X360A View Post
Well i really don't think they were shooting for more story, they just wanted to add a arcade mode in with leaderboards. They also tried to add a gta or saints row feel with the free roam i was a little disappointed in that.
I know they werent going for more story, it just seems like a half assed move to me. I mean they go from one extreme which was heavy on the story no side activities to the other extreme which was all side activities no story. Is it really that hard for these people to find a middle ground?

Also, Ill go ahead and add the achievements being shit to my complaint list. It was nice having 100% and all but Im not going to waste tons of time grinding out crap like 1000 miles driven or 1000000 points scored. Just isnt worth it.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #22
RadiantViper

radiantviper's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Overall, I don't think I hate this DLC, but I don't love it either. It's perfectly average. I really wish they would have sprung for some voice work and cutscenes. They could've made them quick and to the point to fit the 'arcade' feel. Ah well, it's nothing amazing but I've played worse.
RadiantViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #23
friedmad

cribbet's Gamercard
they also broke new ground by introducing the much-anticipated 'scrubbing urinals' gaming activity. i would have liked instead to have been given the option of telling the guard to go eff himself, or at least fighting him for his baton so i could stick it up his where-the-sun-dont-shine after he peed in the freshly-scrubbed urinal
Old 09-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
shootermcgavin2

Sh00t3rmcgavin2's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramericus View Post
I know they werent going for more story, it just seems like a half assed move to me. I mean they go from one extreme which was heavy on the story no side activities to the other extreme which was all side activities no story. Is it really that hard for these people to find a middle ground?

Also, Ill go ahead and add the achievements being shit to my complaint list. It was nice having 100% and all but Im not going to waste tons of time grinding out crap like 1000 miles driven or 1000000 points scored. Just isnt worth it.
The 1,000,000 points come with the story mode attached so it's not really a grind. The 1000 miles however is a different story lol
shootermcgavin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #25
Kramericus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin2 View Post
The 1,000,000 points come with the story mode attached so it's not really a grind. The 1000 miles however is a different story lol
Eh maybe for some, the style I play cover games with though doesnt really gel too well with the scoring system. Im the very cautious sort of player whereas for the big points one really has to sort of rambo it to a degree. So for me, it will be a grind if I keep retrying stuff to get up to a million
Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #26
Murgatroyd7

Murgatroyd7's Gamercard
Quote:
personally i think 2K Czech did a pretty decent job or their first released title.
You do know that they also made the first Mafia game, don't you? And about 20 other games? These guys have been around for over a decade; they were just bought by 2K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk X360A View Post
well still they might have not took the story everywhere where you wanted to go but they still tried there best to make you feel like you are in New York.
You mean, aside from the huge amount of Chicago and San Francisco influence?

Quote:
they also broke new ground by introducing the much-anticipated 'scrubbing urinals' gaming activity.
Ever play Indigo Prophecy?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #27
Barad
High on Life

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
I hate the clock that just ticks on the top right on EVERY freaking mission!

---
10,000 Achievements - 13 July 2014

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #28
RYAN ARKISON

BiG J0Ck ST3iN's Gamercard
i think they should have left this dlc to last and make one which continues the story
RYAN ARKISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:16 AM   #29
neeker75

neeker75's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I hate the requirement for 1 million freaking points.

Then again it'd be easy without the cops.

So, ok, the cops.
neeker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:24 AM   #30
vetteindreams

Vetteindreams77's Gamercard
dot point time, in no particular order, they are all hates:

** the timer, every mission, yay - surely they could have had an arcade mode without it
** the anger level of the police
** new soundtracks, the thousand miles is a long way and i would have thought they could have helped
** the thousand miles, i have only seen this in pure driving games
** the useless city-points, why are you here?

ok i feel loads better now
vetteindreams is offline   Reply With Quote