PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Guardians of Middle-earth
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
BluWolve

BluWolve's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 5   Subscriber - Platinum   Submit - Silver   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Season Pass?

Are they serious? So 2400 MSP for the full game, and even more if you decide to buy the DLC separately? Am I missing something? Why should I pay this much for an arcade game?

I can understand a season pass for a retail game, where you get the code in a new copy of it. But for an arcade game? Seems like a bit of a rort to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty-Rex View Post
I am trained in gorilla warfare

Last edited by BluWolve; 12-06-2012 at 08:41 AM.
BluWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Trucido

Argead's Gamercard
The game is quite fun and I am a Lord of The Rings fan ... but this seems silly. At least you can purchase heroes with in-game currency.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
ShOcKsTa

DMG Messiah's Gamercard
Meh i was going to buy it but the dlc characters are crappy

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@shocksta360
ShOcKsTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
BluWolve

BluWolve's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 5   Subscriber - Platinum   Submit - Silver   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts
I am a huge LotR fan, and I love MOBA games, but I honestly do not understand why I should buy this game if I have to buy the season pass in order to get all the stuff. Can anyone explain what the go is?

Quote:
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
EatSleepDreamAchievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWolve View Post
Why? Why? Why?
GOME does have a retail (physical) release for the PS3 version of the game and that includes the Season Pass, which is why it sells for $30. Sure it's just a code(s) in a box, but it's still a retail release.

Gamestop.com also has a Xbox 360 digital download for 2400 MSP specifically marketed to be used for GOME but that doesn't include anything other than a code(s). As seen here, http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-guardians+of+middle+earth

Would you prefer that ONLY the PS3 version get a Season Pass? Given your apparent apathy for Season Passes for Arcade games, be glad you don't have to pay upfront for DLC on the Xbox 360 version of the game. Then again, PS3 users can buy the game separately on the PSN just like we can on the XBLM.

Nobody is forcing anyone to purchase the Season Pass or any DLC. Given your apparent knowledge of Season Passes on retail releases, you should know that the DLC in the Season Pass also becomes available individually without having to purchase the Season Pass.

Why is there a Season Pass for an Arcade game? Why not? It's self explanatory, to lock in your price for the DLC, which may or may not be costlier via piecemeal. In addition to any thrown in extras for purchasing said Season Pass.

From the studios perspective, they are getting guaranteed money upfront, irregardless of whether or not the consumer is going to still be playing the game whenever the Season Pass DLC is released piecemeal down the road.

If the idea works for a AAA disc based games, then surely it can work for a digital game even one that is an Arcade game. For smaller studios, this could be a great way to finance the development of Future DLC, a la Kickstarter.

I like the idea as it shows that they are serious about supporting the game. Sales of the Season Pass may even motivate the studios to further support the game with additional Expansion Packs or to throw in some extra things.

On a side note, there was a promotion for Xbox LIVE Rewards members that the first 100 purchasers of the game get the Season Pass for FREE via a code to be sent out by mid-January 2013.
When insulting someone by calling them "kid", you are officially announcing that you are arguing with a kid. Some adult YOU are.

pinĚhead
[pin-hed] noun
1. the head of a pin.
2. something very small or insignificant.
3. Slang. a stupid person; nitwit.

Last edited by EatSleepDreamAchievements; 12-06-2012 at 07:37 PM.
EatSleepDreamAchievements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShOcKsTa View Post
...the dlc characters are crappy
FALSE.

So far it's...

Bilbo, Bert the Troll, Barrow-wight Lord and Snaga + other unannounced Guardians
Survival Mode
Map(s)
When insulting someone by calling them "kid", you are officially announcing that you are arguing with a kid. Some adult YOU are.

pinĚhead
[pin-hed] noun
1. the head of a pin.

Last edited by EatSleepDreamAchievements; 12-07-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
BluWolve

BluWolve's Gamercard

I was not making this thread to have a whinge, I was genuinely looking for someone to explain to me why I should purchase this, as it seemed a little excessive at first glance. Now that someone has taken the time to explain it to me, I will probably go ahead and purchase the game and the season pass, as it saves me the hassle of having to download new things as they become available, and will also save money in the long run.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Beastmaster

Orge Lambart's Gamercard
What bothers me is spending 1200 points on 8 guardians, seems like a rip off to me personally.
Beastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
conel33

Salaryman CP's Gamercard
Have you not played your xbox in the last few years? This is how expensive games are now, it's nothing out of the ordinary. The Walking Dead is and XBLA game and it cost 2000ms points.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Beastmaster

Orge Lambart's Gamercard
The walking dead is probably the best story driven game this gen, it warrents the price that all the episodes cost. Where as Guardians of middle earth is 1200 points. You pay an additional 1200 points if you want to pick up 8 more guardians.

For 1200 points you should really get more than 8 extra Guardians, something tells me those 8 guardians are going to be vastly overpowered. I planned on getting the season pass until I saw all you got was 8 guardians, then I was like... wut... no buy for me.
Beastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
M1 Punk

M1 Punk's Gamercard
This game and season pass is online worth buying if it has a strong online community. If it dies off, you may as well stop playing.

Kind of reminds me of Section 8 Prejudice. I really think it's a fun FPS, but can't find more than 3 people online to play against (it's supposed to be 16vs16).
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
ShOcKsTa

DMG Messiah's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepDreamAchievements View Post
FALSE.

So far it's...

Bilbo, Bert the Troll, Barrow-wight Lord and Snaga + other unannounced Guardians
Survival Mode
Map(s)
exactly my point... it's my opinion and the announced ones are crap, unless Bet the troll is a tanking character which would be great

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@shocksta360
ShOcKsTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
What bothers me is spending 1200 points on 8 guardians, seems like a rip off to me personally.
Great, considering you aren't getting JUST 8 Guardians. We already know that there is a Survival Mode and Map(s). They really haven't gone into a whole lot of detail so there may be more including bonuses vs piecemeal.

There are a few ways I'm getting the overall cost down...

If you are an Xbox LIVE Rewards member there is a promotion for the month of December 2012 where you get 100 MSP for the purchase of 2000 MSP worth of content on the XBLM. That's a 5% savings. I haven't bought anything else on the Marketplace besides GOME so I'm going to take up that promotion so that at least 2/3 of the Season Pass will net me an extra 40 MSP.... As soon as I find out if I won the FREE Season Pass for downloading the game early, of course.

They also just released all pending Rewards Points as part of their Apocalypse promotion because we all know the world will end in a few weeks, and that the Season Pass will be pointless anyway. I got 100 MSP that I didn't have to wait a couple of more months to get released.

Plus I took advantage of a gamestop sale a few days before the game's release where they were selling 1200 point codes for the price of 800 points. I'll also be getting cashback from my CC for buying at gamestop + Powerup Points. So, technically I'm really only going to be spending ~$9-10 on the DLC and the game, respectively.

If you think it's a ripoff, perhaps it's a better idea to wait for further information on the Season Pass or go with buying individual things piecemeal as they are released to the general public.

At the very least, do what I did and look for some sales on Microsoft Points.

Then again, you don't have to buy the DLC to play the game.

pinĚhead
[pin-hed] noun
1. the head of a pin.

Last edited by EatSleepDreamAchievements; 12-07-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Arenazombie

Arenazombie's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepDreamAchievements View Post
Go buy this game!
Are you the marketing guy for this game?
Arenazombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Jesuit007

Saitta's Gamercard
So on a lark I downloaded the demo of this... and I really liked it. So did my 6-year old son. I wouldn't mind shelling out the money, but there is no way I'll let him play online. Can you play any of the guardians in a training skirmish or are you just limited to Gandalf?

1200 was the price listed to unlock the full game, and I can justify 15 bucks for a fun diversion and some appropriate Lord of the Rings action for the kids... but I'm concerned that if I don't shell out the additional 1200 I won't be able to play online matches myself.

Is that the case?

Arcade Complete - 9
Jesuit007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
BluWolve

BluWolve's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuit007 View Post
So on a lark I downloaded the demo of this... and I really liked it. So did my 6-year old son. I wouldn't mind shelling out the money, but there is no way I'll let him play online. Can you play any of the guardians in a training skirmish or are you just limited to Gandalf?

1200 was the price listed to unlock the full game, and I can justify 15 bucks for a fun diversion and some appropriate Lord of the Rings action for the kids... but I'm concerned that if I don't shell out the additional 1200 I won't be able to play online matches myself.

Is that the case?
The Season Pass is akin to Battlefield 3's "Premium" where you are just paying a once off fee for all the dlc to be released, rather than paying for things separately. It works out if you plan on buying all the dlc anyway but is not required to play the game.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #17
drake4k

skaar of man's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
The walking dead is probably the best story driven game this gen, it warrents the price that all the episodes cost. Where as Guardians of middle earth is 1200 points. You pay an additional 1200 points if you want to pick up 8 more guardians.

For 1200 points you should really get more than 8 extra Guardians, something tells me those 8 guardians are going to be vastly overpowered. I planned on getting the season pass until I saw all you got was 8 guardians, then I was like... wut... no buy for me.
i swear you people are beyond me sometimes.... if this game was released on disk with all content for $30 everyone would say .."Wow i cant believe this is so cheap for such a good game.. what gives?"
but because of the economy, they choose to not print.. and charge a modest fee.
but lets help our fans out even more they say, lets not charge them for everything all at once,lets give them the whole game for half and 75% of the characters.. then let them play and decide if they want the rest of the characters and lets develop a new mode just for kicks.....
look at the over all picture.. there have been numerous games released for more than $30..(angry birds anyone?)and no one says shit. but let an awesome game come to you for $30..oh sorry 15 LOUSY BUCKS and suddenly you need to be convinced why this isnt some kind of conspiracy to slowly leak your funds away... my god people!
drake4k is offline   Reply With Quote