PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Strategy > XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Pr1nzPriapismus

Pr1nzPriapismus's Gamercard
In the Zone vs Double Tap

Hi guys,
I am currently on my fifth playthrough and was searching for some advises in this forum how to easily takle the "Impossible" run I am just performing.

I read about one guy taking two snipers with Double Taqp into battle.

Tbh, I always picked Double Tap until I realized the enormous potential of the "In the Zone" perk in the middle of my fourth palythrough.

Taking the "In the Zone" perk enabled my sniper (plasma rifle) to take out full groups of enemies and still being able to overwatch/reload/move afterwards is absolutely amazing.
Especially, when you equip your team with ghost armors to position them near the enemies.

What's your opinion about this?
Can I beat Impossible that way?
Any reasons why Double Tap > In the Zone?
Pr1nzPriapismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
asdfen

depends on the difficulty
on impossible you will be struggling until you get plasma weapons and even after most of the enemies will not die from a single rifle shot. before that in the zone is useless while double tap is always nice.
your millage may wary. everyone should strive for their own personal tactics that works for them
asdfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
yurymerkulov

GeoM Yury's Gamercard
vote for double tap

I playthrough game 11 times and try both perks. asdfen said truth - in the zone is effective only on low difficultes and in special situations. double tap is universal tool. like double firepower of sniper
yurymerkulov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Snowed

Snowed's Gamercard
Not to mention there are some enemies you can't even position around.

Frankly, when you're on Impossible you'll be saving a lot. If you fuck up an exchange just reload. You should have no issues with this playthrough as it's not really hard, just time consuming.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
uhKillswitch

uhkillswitch's Gamercard
I tried both but I'm more confident with Double Tap since it's always two guaranteed shots, whereas ITZ depends on chance of how enemies are lined up.
In my seven playthroughs I always had two snipers with DT.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Pr1nzPriapismus

Hey guys, thank you for sharing your opinions.

I have advanced to the stage that I have just build the Gollop Chamber yesterday and my full team is still running around with their starting weapons. The only exception is one Heavy who has a Guided Fusion Launcher equiped (sold the second fusion core earlier in the game...) and of course they carry Alien Grenades.

And this will also be my setup for the final mission (hopefully tonight).

What can I say? I'm still in love with In the Zone! :-D

I have to say that 5 out of 6 squad members (1 Sniper, 1 Support, 2 Heavies, 2 Assaults) meanwhile run around with ghost armors. So positioning is not a big deal for me. ;-)
Since enemies only start moving on their own once they have established "eye contact" it is so much fun to have a Heavy lunch a rocket at them while they are still packed and let your sniper take them out with the ability of still being able to re-position afterwards.

So, I personally would always pick In the Zone rather then Double Tap with one exception:

I will definitely pick Double Tap over ITZ once I start to tackle the Ironman cheevo. That one guaranteed shot is a must have there, i guess.
Can't count how many times I had to reload on my current Impossilbe run. Thank god, it's done 2night...

Regards!

Pr1nz
(who prays for a second DLC with 250 GS and some decent game content)

EDIT: Meanwhile, I have upgraded to Alloy Guns and Plasma Sniper. Makes it a lot easier...

Last edited by Pr1nzPriapismus; 12-17-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
KriugerisLT

Kr1ug3ris's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Definitely In the Zone. That ability + Squad Sight and a teammate who's running around in Ghost is invaluable. I wrecked completely in my Impossible playthrough with 2 squad sight snipers with this ability. Coupled with 4 teammates that were running around in Ghost (snipers in Archangel) and you've got yourself a very deadly combo. Managed to do "Wet Work" in 3 turns on Impossible.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
E1337Pete

E1337 Pete's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriugerisLT View Post
Definitely In the Zone. That ability + Squad Sight and a teammate who's running around in Ghost is invaluable. I wrecked completely in my Impossible playthrough with 2 squad sight snipers with this ability. Coupled with 4 teammates that were running around in Ghost (snipers in Archangel) and you've got yourself a very deadly combo. Managed to do "Wet Work" in 3 turns on Impossible.
What!? That's crazy! I've never had a desire to try In the Zone until this post.
E1337Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Pr1nzPriapismus

It is crazy!!! But so much fun!

My ultimate Sniper Skill tree after several playthroughs:

Sqaddie: Headshot
- increases critical shot damage and chance

Corporal: Snapshot
-allows the sniper to move and shoot in the same turn. If you run and shoot you suffer an Aim penalty of 20.

Sergeant
: Gunslinger
- pistol damage increased by 2

Lieutenant
: Battle Scanner
- 2 grenade-like objects that, when thrown, reveal enemies in that area, lats 2 turns

Captain
: Opportunist
- Makes reaction shots more accurate and deadly.

Major
: Low Profile
- partial cover is now treated as full cover

Colonel
: In the Zone
- killing an uncovered or flanked enemy does not remove one of your actions, can be used once per round with pistols and infinite times with the sniper rifle.

Setup exists of Ghost Armor, Plasma Sniper, Plasma Pistol and Scope.

Skilled and equipped like this you can play your sniper rather like a Hybrid between Sniper and Assault class. Pistol damage with the special ability is massive, and a free kill often enough thx to ITZ.
Furthermore, Opportunist and Low Profile make that soldier an even bigger pain in the ass.
From the point when you have a full squad in Ghost Armor, you can completely own the game with ease.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Pr1nzPriapismus; 01-09-2013 at 05:35 PM.