PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dark Souls
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Issues With The PC Version

EDIT: Don't avoid the PC version, I just had a really bad first few hours with the game and freaked out before giving it too much of a chance. Game is fine, cheaters are more on the rare side than I let on.

Original post:
This makes me super sad since I love this game so much, I recently picked up the PC version and the online is completely ruined by cheaters. People can invade you but as an ally. People can invade you and you can't banish them because they can't be detected. People invade with infinite health just to grief you. It's pretty awful.
On the plus side...with the DSFix files installed, the game looks pretty amazing on pc lol

Edit2: Thanks for changing the thread title for me AOS Puck

Last edited by Gackt; 12-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
SuNuS

SuNuS's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
This makes me super sad since I love this game so much, I recently picked up the PC version and the online is completely ruined by cheaters. People can invade you but as an ally. People can invade you and you can't banish them because they can't be detected. People invade with infinite health just to grief you. It's pretty awful.
On the plus side...with the DSFix files installed, the game looks pretty amazing on pc lol
Sad but not surprising that cheating is rampant on the PC version.

On the plus side, I hear that the PC version has an almost perfect framerate in Blighttown.

Sig by Gackt
SuNuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
asdfen

Ummm PC version looks way better FPS is rock solid everywhere instant loading with a proper PC. DLC is built in. You can actually back up your save without much trouble.

So there are a ton of points on which PC version is superior
asdfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Hagane

Haganeh's Gamercard
Yup, not surprising. (Mods, to say the least!)

On the other hand, the little time I spent on it was actually okay. The only real difference were the modded heads/weapon buffs.

Opinions are meant to be respected, but also scrutinized.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Just because the PvP is full of cheats, that's no reason not to play the PC version. You can still have a lot of fun just playing the game. The PvE is far superior in every way to the console version from what I can see. (I've been watching my friend do a run through on his gaming PC.) I'm actually getting a high end gaming PC for X-mas. So I'm thinking about picking up the PC version and going for the 1000 again. It would be a fun way to break into PC gaming in my opinion.

The only problem is that I've heard using a keyboard and mouse on this game is utter trash. So I'd still be using a 360 controller. So I wouldn't really be getting a true PC player experience. But that's okay by me. I'll take precision controls on a controller over non-functioning ones on a keyboard any day. Although I am looking forward to trying out my new gaming setup. I'm actually getting a Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 keyboard and Razer Ouroboros gaming mouse.

Are the PC controls really as bad as I've heard?

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodGodAlucard View Post
Just because the PvP is full of cheats, that's no reason not to play the PC version. You can still have a lot of fun just playing the game. The PvE is far superior in every way to the console version from what I can see. (I've been watching my friend do a run through on his gaming PC.) I'm actually getting a high end gaming PC for X-mas. So I'm thinking about picking up the PC version and going for the 1000 again. It would be a fun way to break into PC gaming in my opinion.

The only problem is that I've heard using a keyboard and mouse on this game is utter trash. So I'd still be using a 360 controller. So I wouldn't really be getting a true PC player experience. But that's okay by me. I'll take precision controls on a controller over non-functioning ones on a keyboard any day. Although I am looking forward to trying out my new gaming setup. I'm actually getting a Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 keyboard and Razer Ouroboros gaming mouse.

Are the PC controls really as bad as I've heard?
What's the point in playing offline? Part of the fun of Dark Souls is being invaded and or helping other players. That part of the game on PC is completely broken.

And yeah the controls with a keyboard and mouse are not very good lol, using a 360 controller myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuNuS View Post
Sad but not surprising that cheating is rampant on the PC version.

On the plus side, I hear that the PC version has an almost perfect framerate in Blighttown.
That is true, I have had no frame rate drops while in Blighttown yet.

I'm still gonna 1k the game, but I figured I'd give you guys a warning about the cheating. If you remain hollow or play offline I guess this doesn't really affect you much.

Last edited by Gackt; 12-19-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
ghostx30

ghost X30's Gamercard
Quote:
What's the point in playing offline? Part of the fun of Dark Souls is being invaded and or helping other players. That part of the game on PC is completely broken.
Exactly. Could not agree more with you here, Gackt. If one of the most important components that makes Dark Souls what it is is completely broken, then you are missing out on the full Dark Souls experience which sounds like a hell of a good reason to me not to pick it up.

I'm happy with my console versions. Truthfully, the frame rate in Blighttown has never been nearly as bad to me as people make it out to be. As far has how the game looks, well, looks just fine to me on my 360 ans PS3. Maybe it does look a little nicer on PC, but that's of no consequence to me, whatsoever.
ghostx30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
BloodGodAlucard

I didn't mean to imply that you should skip the online component of the game entirely. That's not what I meant. I was just saying that even if you are having problems with cheaters hacking in the PvP invasions, you can still have a lot of fun playing through the PvE. And it's not like the entire PC community is comprised of hackers. I've seen a lot of coverage of the PC version since launch that had plenty of honor duels and co-op. I guess it just comes down to luck. I personally enjoy the online aspects of the game. But it wouldn't make the game worthy of a pass from me if it didn't have it. That's all I was saying.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion though. I hope you still enjoy the game and are able to find some honorable duelists to fight. You could always post on here looking for duels.

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodGodAlucard View Post
I didn't mean to imply that you should skip the online component of the game entirely. That's not what I meant. I was just saying that even if you are having problems with cheaters hacking in the PvP invasions, you can still have a lot of fun playing through the PvE. And it's not like the entire PC community is comprised of hackers. I've seen a lot of coverage of the PC version since launch that had plenty of honor duels and co-op. I guess it just comes down to luck. I personally enjoy the online aspects of the game. But it wouldn't make the game worthy of a pass from me if it didn't have it. That's all I was saying.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion though. I hope you still enjoy the game and are able to find some honorable duelists to fight. You could always post on here looking for duels.
It's Dark Souls...of course I'm still going to enjoy it
I'm still having the worst luck with invasions. Or people invading my game as an ally seems to be happening quite a bit.
I even got invaded while hollow...lol. Seems like I keep running into the same handful of griefers/cheaters too.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
ghostx30

ghost X30's Gamercard
Quote:
I
I even got invaded while hollow...lol.
LOL - I'm sorry, I don't mean to make light of your Dark Souls troubles, Gackt. I just can't even comprehend how that's possible.

Alucard - I didn't take your post that way. I knew exactly the point you were trying to make. And I think we would all agree that PVE Dark Souls is still better than no Dark Souls. I was merely speaking for me because most the time when I play anymore, it's just to hop on and help other people or get some co-op action, so that might be a little bit bigger of a deal to me than those more focused on the PVE aspects.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
asdfen

what BloodGodAlucard is saying and he is 100% correct that majority of this game is PVE. What you do now after beating the game at least on xbox once is besides the point.

PC version is superior in many ways already listed and your advice to avoid it is misguided.

If you dont like cheaters then play offline / hollow or you can just as easily cheat yourself
Old 12-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
BloodGodAlucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostx30 View Post
LOL - I'm sorry, I don't mean to make light of your Dark Souls troubles, Gackt. I just can't even comprehend how that's possible.

Alucard - I didn't take your post that way. I knew exactly the point you were trying to make. And I think we would all agree that PVE Dark Souls is still better than no Dark Souls. I was merely speaking for me because most the time when I play anymore, it's just to hop on and help other people or get some co-op action, so that might be a little bit bigger of a deal to me than those more focused on the PVE aspects.
I understand your position ghost. And I agree that it's a lot of fun to make a PvP build and hunt gankers. Or have honorable fights against skilled opponents. And nothing beats a good round of jolly co-operation.

Wow Gackt I didn't realize that the PC hackers had figured out how to invade while Hollow. That's really messed up. I wouldn't sink to their level though and cheat back. Still, it might be fun to build a "ultra cheap" PvP build for people like that. You could get Darkmoon Blade and stack Wrath of the Gods. If you run into a hacker, destroy him with no mercy. Although if they're proper hackers, they'll be completely invincible to all damage anyway. But atleast you made a fine effort to exterminate them.

One useful tip I learned from a YouTube video about PC hackers in the DLC areas is that they can't survive fall damage. If you can maneuver them to a cliff or long fall and kick them off/backstab them off, they'll die like the bitches they are.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Gackt
Banned User

lol...wrath of gods near a cliff seems to be a great way to get rid of a cheater
Hilariously enough, they send hate messages afterwards claiming how cheap that is...
Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfen View Post
what BloodGodAlucard is saying and he is 100% correct that majority of this game is PVE. What you do now after beating the game at least on xbox once is besides the point.

PC version is superior in many ways already listed and your advice to avoid it is misguided.

If you dont like cheaters then play offline / hollow or you can just as easily cheat yourself
Did you really just say I should be forced to play offline, and or cheat to avoid or stand a chance against cheaters? Maybe YOU would be willing to be a lame cheater, or to avoid the fun parts of the game but I'm not. I think I'll keep trying to play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Quote:
Ummm PC version looks way better FPS is rock solid everywhere instant loading with a proper PC. DLC is built in. You can actually back up your save without much trouble.

Aside from the better resolution on the pc, that's about all it has over the console versions. And the reduced frame rate issue in Blighttown. But the mod to get Dark Souls running at 60fps doesn't work online so you can't play it while online at 60fps.
Still plenty of issues, not the greatest port ever. Can't really blame From Software for that though since they don't have much exp with pc games.

Edit:
Ugh...PC version has that same annoying issue the console has with summoning, click summon...wait...wait....failed. Over and over and over lol.

Last edited by Gackt; 12-20-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
ghostx30

ghost X30's Gamercard
Quote:

Wow. There is so much fail in that post that I don't even know where to begin.

A. Co-op and invading have been just as big a part of the game for most of us as the PvE since launch. Just look back through the deluge of posts of us stating that they need a patch to fix the online component of the game the first couple of months after release. Also, co-op and invasions are just as big of an aspect of the game as the PvE, which is the way Miyazaki intended it with both Souls games.

B. You grossly overstate how "superior" the PC version is to the console version. You obviously are a PC fanboy. Don't they have a special forum for you guys to all hang out and stroke on another over how superior your PC's are.

C. Seriously? You are advocating that he cheat to combat cheating, or that he ignore an important component of the game being broken and just play offline? Yeah, that sounds real "SUPERIOR" to the console version. Bravo on the fantastic workarounds there, champ.

Last edited by ghostx30; 12-21-2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
Gackt
Banned User

I should probably see about getting the title of the thread changes so I dont scare off people wanting to play the PC version since I kind of made it sound a lot worse than it actually is....lol oops
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Burnout x360a

M1KE 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
I should probably see about getting the title of the thread changes so I dont scare off people wanting to play the PC version since I kind of made it sound a lot worse than it actually is....lol oops
Yeah it did seem a bit over dramatic.

^ By Xerofox, thanks!
Twitter lSteam

Burnout x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #18
asdfen

Quote:
Did you really just say I should be forced to play offline, and or cheat to avoid or stand a chance against cheaters? Maybe YOU would be willing to be a lame cheater, or to avoid the fun parts of the game but I'm not. I think I'll keep trying to play the game the way it was meant to be played.
No one is forcing you to do anything. You want to play online go ahead and do it bitching about cheaters helps no one.

Quote:
A. Co-op and invading have been just as big a part of the game for most of us as the PvE since launch. Just look back through the deluge of posts of us stating that they need a patch to fix the online component of the game the first couple of months after release. Also, co-op and invasions are just as big of an aspect of the game as the PvE, which is the way Miyazaki intended it with both Souls games.
This is full of speculation as you do not have any statistics to back up. I am sure that even you have played the game from start to finish in PVE at least once and most likely it was your first time through.

Quote:
B. You grossly overstate how "superior" the PC version is to the console version. You obviously are a PC fanboy. Don't they have a special forum for you guys to all hang out and stroke on another over how superior your PC's are.
This is just childish personal slander which says more about you than about me.
Quote:
C. Seriously? You are advocating that he cheat to combat cheating, or that he ignore an important component of the game being broken and just play offline? Yeah, that sounds real "SUPERIOR" to the console version. Bravo on the fantastic workarounds there, champ.
I am advocating nothing he does however has those options and I fail to see you suggest any other option than your obvious choice to complain about being hurt by cruel PC online players.

Regarding which version is superior please do point me in the direction of where did you see me state that as I can not recall. I quote my original post here.
Quote:
happy holidays and I really would appreciate you refraining from personal slander in your future posts.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
No one is forcing you to do anything. You want to play online go ahead and do it bitching about cheaters helps no one.
You're right. How dare I want to play the game online the way it was meant to be played without having to deal with cheaters. People have the right to voice their opinions about things. Would you like it if you couldn't play your favorite game because someone else was cheating and ruining it for you?
This isn't happening to me, was just my first few encounters but it's just an example. If you couldn't play your favorite game because some idiot was forcing you to deal with cheating...would you just be happy to say...guess Ill have to change how I play it? No...you'd be a little annoyed wouldn't you?

Not complaining about it makes it look like nobody cares, and if that's the case it never gets fixed. Think before you post that crap next time.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
asdfen

I mean no disrespect, but I truly am amazed at your disdain at the PC version.

You are now aware of PC version strengths and weaknesses. You also have access to xbox and have a copy of software for both platforms. You have a choice to play it on XBOX or PC. If online is so important and you dont like the way its done on PC then play it on XBOX. That does not mean that PC version does not have any merits.

All PC games are especially prone to hacks. There is nothing can be done about it other than make it a lil harder or easier for hackers. There is no such thing as unbreakable software especially when it comes to gaming as thats not their primary concern. XBOX online isnt devoid of hacks either there are just less of them as it requires a bit more skill and there is an actual penalty if you get caught.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
ghostx30

ghost X30's Gamercard
Quote:

This is full of speculation as you do not have any statistics to back up. I am sure that even you have played the game from start to finish in PVE at least once and most likely it was your first time through.

This is just childish personal slander which says more about you than about me.

I am advocating nothing he does however has those options and I fail to see you suggest any other option than your obvious choice to complain about being hurt by cruel PC online players.

Regarding which version is superior please do point me in the direction of where did you see me state that as I can not recall. I quote my original post here.

happy holidays and I really would appreciate you refraining from personal slander in your future posts.
No, I have never played the game just for PvE...not even my first run. I became a "Sunbro" on my very first 1000g. playthrough and co-op has been a significant focus of all my builds and runs all along, and it will be on further runs. So you're wrong. Period. End of story. Thanks for playing.

As for your comment on it being pure speculation, are you fucking brain dead? Seriously. I'm not slinging a personal insult at you. In fact, I have absolutely nothing against you. I might even agree with you and and post a smilie for you on something you post next week. See, I did it right there. We didn't even have to wait. But can you read? Go back through this forum, go through ps3.org, go through the Dark Souls forum. Do the math on the number of posts, character builds and runs specifically made for co-op or invading. Seriously, don't be daft.

As for the argument of superiority, I don't have to prove a thing to you. I'm not the one on here blowing like a bag of wind how my version is superior. You are. Truthfully, I don't care what is superior. I have enjoyed mine just fine since October 2011. But hey, keep playing your broken...errr..."superior" version.

Oh, and I'm not complaining about the PC version. But, I have known Gackt on this forum from when this game was released. I know the online components are just as big a part of the experience for him as the PvE, as it is for a VERY LARGE portion of us. I also know that he would probably rather take a sledge hammer to his computer then to speak a foul word against Dark Souls. So yeah, I trust his judgement to a certain degree, and if he says it's broken, and full of modders and cheats, which he isn't the first to do, then I'll defend his right to play the game how it's meant to be played and inform people about it. Point is, man, if someone is invading you when your hollow, well then, we have a fucking problem. I don't care how you try and spin that shit.

Oh, and Asdfen...Merry Christmas, bro!

Last edited by ghostx30; 12-26-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #22
Gackt
Banned User

The first achievement you get for reaching Lordran is glitched for me...lol
I am going to be upset if I can't figure out how to fix this, I was 1000 in both versions!

Edit: looks like it's a pretty common issue for achievements to unlock, and randomly relock themselves...fannnnnnnnnnnntastic. lol

Last edited by Gackt; 12-26-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #23
Dog Face

In Marshall's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
I am going to be upset if I can't figure out how to fix this, I was 1000 in both versions!

Edit: looks like it's a pretty common issue for achievements to unlock, and randomly relock themselves...fannnnnnnnnnnntastic. lol
Just means more time with the game til you get them all
Dog Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #24
lordrex217

lordrex172's Gamercard
Quote:

someone on TA says it should unlock properly (and stay unlocked) when you return from the undead asylum after you revisit.

lordrex217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #25
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face View Post
Just means more time with the game til you get them all
Heh, more time with Dark Souls is perfectly fine by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrex217 View Post
someone on TA says it should unlock properly (and stay unlocked) when you return from the undead asylum after you revisit.
Hmmm...I've been there and back on a few characters and that hasn't been the case. I'll try again though. 6 items left for my Knights Honor achievement, really hoping that one doesn't glitch on me too lol
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
SuNuS

SuNuS's Gamercard
Quote:
6 items left for my Knights Honor achievement, really hoping that one doesn't glitch on me too lol
Is the Channeler's Trident one of the 6 you have left? If so, I feel for you sir!

That one took forever to drop even with 10 humanity and the serpent ring. At least you've done it all before and know what to expect.

Sig by Gackt
SuNuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
Gackt
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuNuS View Post
Is the Channeler's Trident one of the 6 you have left? If so, I feel for you sir!

That one took forever to drop even with 10 humanity and the serpent ring. At least you've done it all before and know what to expect.
lol I actually got that already, decided to just grind it out the first time I got to the Duke's Archives. Still took forever but Im glad to have it out of the way lol.
I just have the Axe Patches sells, and the Black Knight Great Axe.

Edit: Got my Knights Honour
Still can't get the very first achievement in the game to unlock again :\

Edit2: Got my Lordran achievement
I had to delete a certain file in the games for windows live folder, was causing a sync issue that was showing the achievement unlock but automatically re-locking. Looks weird having that early achievement directly after getting collect all rare weapons lol but at least I found a fix for it

Last edited by Gackt; 12-27-2012 at 06:43 PM.