PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Kinect
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
scuzzybum

WorserDoor4498's Gamercard
Is it worth it to get the Xbox360 just for Kinect games?

Hi all, hopefully I don't get flamed.

I'm a PS3 gamer and have the Move and found it disappointing due to the lack of games. Found the Kinect to be interesting and thus, wanted to ask the title-mentioned question. Would probably also play the exlcusive games. However, my primary reason, if I do get the Xbox360, would be for Kinect, so what are your thoughts?
scuzzybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I'm not sure >.> I only have a move as well, and I think it kind of sucks. However, the kinect seems to have an increasing number of games for it, arcade and retail, that seem to be increasing in quality judging by reviews and stuff. With Black Friday coming up I'm sure you'll be able to get a bundle for a cheap price, so you might as well take advantage of the price when you can.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
Spade.
A La Rev

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Jacob XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
I feel like saying no, but I have zero Kinects, so I couldn't tell you.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
scuzzybum

WorserDoor4498's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftie View Post
I'm not sure >.> I only have a move as well, and I think it kind of sucks. However, the kinect seems to have an increasing number of games for it, arcade and retail, that seem to be increasing in quality judging by reviews and stuff. With Black Friday coming up I'm sure you'll be able to get a bundle for a cheap price, so you might as well take advantage of the price when you can.
Sadly I don't live in the US so it's tough for me to buy stuff during Black Friday
scuzzybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
CuteTXKitty

Send a message via Yahoo to CuteTXKitty

cuteTXkitty's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I have a Kinect and it is totally worth it! We actually play Kinect games as much as regular games. It is only good if you are willing and ready to get up and move of course.
I have played fitness and dancing games on all the different systems, and I can honestly tell you that it is way better using the Kinect. Not only that, but on several games you can use voice commands. Sometimes I turn on the xbox and never touch a controller.
Some great games I have enjoyed on it are all the Dance Central games, Kinect Sports (I especially love the football and baseball on it), Kinectimals, Disneyland Adventure (that one is surprisingly fun and some of the minigames are incredibly difficult).

I could probably name more but I am not currently at home to look through my library. I can say that where movement-based games can be disappointing using the Move and Wii motion controls, it is way better on the Kinect. I used to play EA Active on the wii and the painstaking process of getting set up to do new exercises is almost eliminated on the Kinect version. There is no strap around your thigh or cord that won't let you stretch all the way.

So yes.. in my honest opinion, if you are into motion-based games, Kinect is very much worth it.
CuteTXKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
mudman2784

yeah i agree, kinect's really awesome. even my 5 yr old daughter are good at it!
mudman2784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
I mak3 big boom

Pound My Rumpus's Gamercard
Just for Kinect? No. For the Exclusives like Halo,Gears, Forza? OHHH HELL YEAAH.
Latest 100%: Bioshock Infinite
"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man that when faced with extinction..."
"Every alternative is preferable"
I mak3 big boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
Dog Face

In Marshall's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
With the Kinect games I've played I'd say no. The games I've played are bad at picking up your voice/movement. This goes from in-game stuff to trying to navigate menus. To give you an example of games I've played:
Kinect Sports Season 1/2 - Good with in-game movement, bad with ingame voice/navigating menus
Harry Potter and the Dealthy Hallows pt. 1 - No good can be said about it's Kinect capabilities
Skyrim - I didn't play to much with Kinect but I didn't seem to have problems.
Mars Rover Landing - Pretty good ingame movement
Babel Rising - Not very good/Maybe my skill?
Dog Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Mustafa94

Definetly not!!!
Mustafa94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
It's not worth it to me but for someone who likes those types of games, sure.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
Jamski

Send a message via MSN to Jamski Send a message via Skype™ to Jamski

jamski07's Gamercard
You need a lot of room! A good 10 feet at least, and I would say not worth it just for Kinect.

Daddy, husband, designer, gamer, geek

Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Skorpion XBA
さそり XBA

Skorpion XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 3   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Green Thumb - Platinum   Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Achievement Guide - Silver
Total Awards: 34 (more» ...)
This is sort of a tough question. I've played both and the Kinect (in my opinion) is a lot better than the Move. As far as buying a 360 just for the Kinect, I would have to say no. There are a few good games for it, but not that many. Unless you want a bunch of workout games.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
daytonmarsh

daytona0500's Gamercard
i like to just stick with my controller
daytonmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Paul Zap

Paul Zap's Gamercard
If you're just going to use the Xbox 360 for Kinect, then no, it's not worth it. However, if you get the Xbox 360 to play games, and you also get a Kinect on top of that, then yes. Main thing is, Kinect is only one aspect of the Xbox 360; normal games are the best part of the console.
Paul Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
[Waggly Bean]

Waggly Bean's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zap View Post
If you're just going to use the Xbox 360 for Kinect, then no, it's not worth it. However, if you get the Xbox 360 to play games, and you also get a Kinect on top of that, then yes. Main thing is, Kinect is only one aspect of the Xbox 360; normal games are the best part of the console.
Agree with every word he said.

There are some good Kinect titles, but I don't think any of them justify the price of a new console plus Kinect.

[Waggly Bean] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
YOUtokeYOUchoke

YOUtokeYOUchoke's Gamercard
Got kinect and now very close to having an asbo for jumping up and down at 3am XD
Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #17
CSPape

CSPape's Gamercard
Getting the Kinect

First let me say that if you are interested in getting a Kinect, Microsofts permanent price drop is a huge plus! Secondly, if you have kids then the Kinect is great, but don't go into it thinking that there are going to be a bunch of amazing adult oriented games. Some games have interesting implementation, such as Mass Effect 3 with voice commands, but overrall I'd say that for now the Kinect only serves to keep young kids entertained.
CSPape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #18
Delow317
Banned User

Delow317 XBL's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzybum View Post
Hi all, hopefully I don't get flamed.

I'm a PS3 gamer and have the Move and found it disappointing due to the lack of games. Found the Kinect to be interesting and thus, wanted to ask the title-mentioned question. Would probably also play the exlcusive games. However, my primary reason, if I do get the Xbox360, would be for Kinect, so what are your thoughts?
My honest anwser would be no. I bought my kinect just for what it can do with the dashboard and I don't regret it one bit. I have mainly just played Haunt, Wreckater, Fruit Ninja Kinect, and all the Fun Labs games. They are ok, but not better than a core game imo. Kinect Adv is pretty damn fun though.

Personally if I was you, I'd be looking at X360 because it has the superior versions of multplats nearly 90% of the time. My PS3 is used for exclusives, 360.. everything else.

But goodluck with whatever you decide!
Delow317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
TriRock

TriRock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 1   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   You're DOOMED Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 1   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 41 (more» ...)
IMO, it's not worth it, but it's a great to go along with the 360. I play Kinect games now and then, and it's just not ineresting enough to be my primary gaming platform.

OTOH, my sister-in-law plays Kinect games far more than regular games. Differen strokes and all that.

Achievement #1000: Seek and Destroy - #10000: Fully Evolved - #20000: Data Security

Overachiever: 55 points - 16 Staff Clubs - C/F Clubs 10-5-1

TriRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
OUT OF BLUE

Send a message via Yahoo to OUT OF BLUE Send a message via Skype™ to OUT OF BLUE

Miss Murdr's Gamercard
I never enjoyed Kinect. I only like sitting my lazy bum down and using the controller.

IMO: Not worth it.
OUT OF BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #21
Qurbix

Qurbix's Gamercard
Not worth it at all... not a big fan of the Kinect.
Qurbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
CuteTXKitty

cuteTXkitty's Gamercard

Okay, if you are INTERESTED in getting up and moving around don't listen to the lazy bums up ^ there. Some don't have Kinect and some that do only have it so they can tell their xbox what to do and not have to push any buttons.. lol.. (just playing you guys)

If you WANT to get up and move around a little, then it is awesome. There are fun games. Not 'hardcore' games no, but there are plenty of those for the 360 using the controller.

IMHO the Kinect IS worth buying the 360 for. (Granted, I love dancing and workout games) Some games might seem kiddie, but heck they are just as fun with adults. I have had like 15 adults in my house fighting for turns to play several of the games. (Their poor kids rarely get a chance) One night a bunch of us divided into teams and played Kinect Sports til we were all thoroughly hammered (oh yeah, we were drinking between turns). Anyways, it's a blast, a great party game, and the functionality is surprisingly good.

Advice on getting it to work right, if you have a light RIGHT over your head it doesn't see your legs so good. We invested in getting a light for up near our tv that points towards the center of the room. And you do NOT need 10 feet at least. We have around 6 and it's fine. Would be nice to have more room, but it's not necessary. As long as you have enough room for two people to stand side by side you're good.

(I know I wrote a lot, but ^ guys keep saying not worth it and I want to make it very clear that it is and they don't know what they are talking about. :0p Nah, it's just not up their alley... if it IS up your alley which it sounds like it is, then YES totally worth it!)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
Jamski

Send a message via MSN to Jamski Send a message via Skype™ to Jamski

jamski07's Gamercard
I have found you do need more than 6 feet. Wreckateer for instance, I'm sure a lot are now playing as it's been on a free over the weekend.

6 feet away gets you to the very front of the play area, you then HAVE to step back to launch things.

Daddy, husband, designer, gamer, geek

Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
HuskyHuscarl

C0MPLY 0R D13's Gamercard
I agree with the other people, If you have a large enough space infront of your tv, 6ft or whatever the recommended distance is, Maybe 8ft for it to be comfortable and play two player then go for it, I think in the future there'll be more Kinect games coming out each year, As opposed to just the sort of arcade type things now.
But when I get back home, I want to lie on the sofa playing Halo, not jumping around in the living room infront of the tv..
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #25
crisoc

crisoc's Gamercard
i bought a kinect, but found that it just collects dust.
i've used it twice in a year.
crisoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #26
Delow317
Banned User

Delow317 XBL's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteTXKitty View Post
Okay, if you are INTERESTED in getting up and moving around don't listen to the lazy bums up ^ there. Some don't have Kinect and some that do only have it so they can tell their xbox what to do and not have to push any buttons.. lol.. (just playing you guys)

If you WANT to get up and move around a little, then it is awesome. There are fun games. Not 'hardcore' games no, but there are plenty of those for the 360 using the controller.

IMHO the Kinect IS worth buying the 360 for. (Granted, I love dancing and workout games) Some games might seem kiddie, but heck they are just as fun with adults. I have had like 15 adults in my house fighting for turns to play several of the games. (Their poor kids rarely get a chance) One night a bunch of us divided into teams and played Kinect Sports til we were all thoroughly hammered (oh yeah, we were drinking between turns). Anyways, it's a blast, a great party game, and the functionality is surprisingly good.

Advice on getting it to work right, if you have a light RIGHT over your head it doesn't see your legs so good. We invested in getting a light for up near our tv that points towards the center of the room. And you do NOT need 10 feet at least. We have around 6 and it's fine. Would be nice to have more room, but it's not necessary. As long as you have enough room for two people to stand side by side you're good.

(I know I wrote a lot, but ^ guys keep saying not worth it and I want to make it very clear that it is and they don't know what they are talking about. :0p Nah, it's just not up their alley... if it IS up your alley which it sounds like it is, then YES totally worth it!)

You're so very open minded. I applaud you Kitty!

Although I did say it's not worth it, I still don't regret my purchase one bit. I use it for the Dashboard and watching netflix all the time, and Kinect Adventures surprised me actually! Although I'm still more of a core gamer, I wouldn't want to be left out when games start saying they are better with Kinect and have that odd Kinect Achievement tied to them. Then again, I always buy every periphreal for my consoles.. always have because I don't like being left out of anything!
Delow317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #27
One Winged Joker

DarkSephiroth93's Gamercard
I found it better than any other similar devices, I'll give you that. I'm not that kind of gamer, so my judgement might be a bit biased. Like ChickinOnaChain said, if you like those games, you'll probably enjoy it. Besides, there must be a bunch of games for Kinect at this point.

Last edited by One Winged Joker; 11-19-2012 at 10:30 PM.
One Winged Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #28
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
It is absolutely worth it. I use it all the time, at least once a week now since it has came out.

The games for it are fun, but you cant go into a game with the "Kinect sucks" attitude. You are guaranteed to hate the game with that attitude. Now the games aren't really "Hardcore", but that doesn't mean they are not fun.

I constantly hear people complaining about the Kinect, but the only reasons I ever get is

1. "The games suck", which is absolutely not true, most people who say that haven't played anything past Kinect Adventures (The game that comes with Kinect) or are expecting hardcore FPS games, but if anything like that was attempted and actually came out, Lord knows people would chew that game up and spit it out because its not the next CoD.

2. "It doesn't read well", which is another invalid statement because I have yet to have an issue other than Kung Fu Panda 2( That game is just simply broken). Plus, you are the controller, any problems 99% of the time it is lighting or user error.

3. "You need 6ft". How could you be in a room that doesn't offer 6ft of standing space? Are you in the closet? If so then there is a device out there to reduce needed space, not sure how well it'll work though.

Last edited by Foxxy kyle; 11-19-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Foxxy kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #29
WldCosmicRain73

WldCosmicRain73's Gamercard
I think it's pretty awesome if you have enough space to play in that is. Plus you can use Video Kinect to chat with friends. I've only really used that part of it a couple of times but its kinda a cool bonus feature
WldCosmicRain73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
CuteTXKitty

cuteTXkitty's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delow317 View Post
You're so very open minded. I applaud you Kitty!
Haha, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic.